Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lowering the OHC and other suspension queries

I am looking to lower my Type 1 OHC and am slightly confused in a few areas where I'd like you guys to help me out ..

Facts first
  • Car has done approx. 85k kms in 9 years, driven mostly in NCR and reasonably good highway conditions (mostly Delhi-Chandigarh)
  • It is on 205/50/15 ES100's
  • I feel the suspension may be bit soft, however my regular mechanic says its fine.
  • Car is 95% driven with rear seats unoccupied - no scraping issues thus far.
I have almost decided to go for Eibach lowering springs which are available for approx. 13-15k.

Questions:
  1. Would a 30mm drop lead to scraping in case of the OHC with 205/50/15?
  2. Would these springs work fine on stock shockers? A local mech I ran into was saying my car would be jumping all over the place if I do this - is this correct?
Thanks a ton in advance guys.
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:24   #2
BHPian

cant you get the coil over kit ?
if you get these springs will the shock absorbers have any play left ?
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

why not get a coilover set. look at d2. they will be much more expensive than the eibach springs but they would be better. viper is getting those on his car i think so you can ask him how they are.
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Coilovers at 50k+ are way over my budget at this point in time, so lets not go there

What I really want in order of priority is :
1) lower the car and make it look sexier
2) Improve Handling

At the same time, NOT compromise on long term reliability.
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

the city already is a pretty low car so IMO with a 30mm drop it will scrape many more things unless the springs your getting are very stiff.
Old 2nd May 2008, 16:07   #6
BHPian

1) Dude your mechanic is wrong! The shorter springs, Eibach for example, have a higher spring rate than your current setup, so your car wont be jumping all over the place

2) What shocks do you currently have? It might make sense to upgrade them as well, Konis per say. The overall effect will be much more desirable. You could also look at short body shocks if you want better comfort/more life out of your shocks

cheers:
Old 2nd May 2008, 16:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
1) Dude your mechanic is wrong! The shorter springs, Eibach for example, have a higher spring rate than your current setup, so your car wont be jumping all over the place
Well, that's good then. Because he wasn't my mechanic at all, just a local chap I ran into

Quote:
2) What shocks do you currently have?
I'm currently using the OE shocks which have been serving me for the past 85k kms and was planning to go in for newer OE shocks, if the need was felt after lowering springs installation.

Quote:
It might make sense to upgrade them as well, Konis per say. The overall effect will be much more desirable.
The reason I didn't consider Koni's was that I wasn't sure if they lower the car as well, apart from providing improvements in other areas, i mean.

Secondly, does Koni provide ONLY the shocks, which could then be paired with Eibach springs? If thats correct, I was unaware and can consider this option based on further inputs from you guys,

Quote:
You could also look at short body shocks if you want better comfort/more life out of your shocks
Short body shocks? what's that ?

Last edited by manveet : 2nd May 2008 at 16:46.
Old 2nd May 2008, 21:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

You will be scraping the OHC all over the place with 30mm lowering though. It will look hot no doubt. Best to couple the eibachs with Koni sport shocks and keep the konis at max stiffness, thatll save you some scrape from bouncing over speedbreakers. Most value for money combo i guess.
Old 3rd May 2008, 00:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Best to couple the eibachs with Koni sport shocks and keep the konis at max stiffness ...
Just googled a bit .. didn't know that Koni had lowering springs as well ..

SO .. what about Koni shockers with Koni lowering springs .. ?
Old 3rd May 2008, 01:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Secondly, does Koni provide ONLY the shocks, which could then be paired with Eibach springs? If thats correct, I was unaware and can consider this option based on further inputs from you guys,

Short body shocks? what's that ?
No, Koni also has coilover, which would be the springs literally coiled over the shocker...But they're cost prohibitive in your case. Eibach is great at what they do, go with it.

Short body shocks are exactly that, they are shocks in which the total length is shorter than normal, however they're meant for slammed cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
You will be scraping the OHC all over the place with 30mm lowering though. It will look hot no doubt. Best to couple the eibachs with Koni sport shocks and keep the konis at max stiffness, thatll save you some scrape from bouncing over speedbreakers. Most value for money combo i guess.
I'm not sure about the scraping...what if he goes for high spring rates? Yes the car will be low, but would it still scrape say a standard speedbraker?

Arush dude you gotta pick up your phone man! Tried your number yesterday...

cheers:
Old 3rd May 2008, 01:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yes Koni does have its spring and damper kit known as the 1130 and 1150. But its not available for the OHC. Not even the shocks and springs seperately from koni or eibach for ohc.
Old 3rd May 2008, 01:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

GTO mentioned in this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ohc-1-5-a.html) that an OHC suspension overhaul is essential post 50k and Shantanu mentions that his has become lazy at 65K.

2 more Questions ..

Q1) .. What all is included in Suspension overhaul?

Q2) .. Any info on this ..?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post766239

Last edited by manveet : 3rd May 2008 at 01:50.
Old 3rd May 2008, 09:53   #13
BANNED

Manveet,

Koni does not have anything to offer for the OHC to the best of my knowledge. In Coilovers your best bet would be Hotbits for now. D2 would only be available next month.

Other then that next best option would be either Pedders or Eibach Springs coupled with stiffened shocks.

Suspension overhaul generally includes replacement of lower arms, tie rod ends, ball joints & shock absorbers. Generally unless car is opened you do not know what needs to be changed. Sometimes it could also include changing of drive shafts/axles and steering rack.Also always change all components for both sides and not any 1 side even if the other side is fairly good.

Hope all your queries have been answered.

Viper
Old 3rd May 2008, 10:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Other then that next best option would be either Pedders or Eibach Springs coupled with stiffened shocks.

Quote:
Suspension overhaul generally includes replacement of lower arms, tie rod ends, ball joints & shock absorbers. Generally unless car is opened you do not know what needs to be changed. Sometimes it could also include changing of drive shafts/axles and steering rack.Also always change all components for both sides and not any 1 side even if the other side is fairly good.
Just to add to that list, make sure you change the bushes too, along with the rubber insulators (don't know the exact terminology, but they are mounted on the strut). Don't scrimp on these by going for a local brand - get OE products which are of a higher quality and will last longer. I made this mistake, and suffered for it.
Old 3rd May 2008, 22:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

bumped into this thread - might as well post my queries too here..

own a OHC TYPE 2 - done 70k so far...
running on 195/55/15. last 2-3 months, i definetly notice a bumpiness in the ride - especially low speed - very bumpy in fact -
recently tried out one of those rickshaws in gurgaon and found its ride more plush !

when i took the car for 70k service , i asked the a.s.s to check the suspension
i dont know what they checked but they said all was O.K. !!

is there a way to check whether my suspension has given up ? if so which parts ? springs/shocks what else ?

i am closely watching this thread all though my requirement is to upgrade to a more comfortable suspension from the ride point of view...

it would be great if the experts can answer the following..
1) how to check which parts of suspension have failed
2) what set up to go for for a comfortable ride
3) cost.

thanks a lot..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks