Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2008, 19:45   #16
rippergeo

I had posed the same question to Peter when I decided to get a box-
The choice was between Swift, Verna, Tucson(which we we didnt buy finally)

Peter's answer made sense- install the box in the car that you drive the most. and I'm glad I did that. I put it in the Swift.

W.R.T installing it after 10k- thats just done so that the customer appreciates the full effect of the box on his stock car. someone installing the box in his car straight out of the showroom will think he's wasted 30k on the box, because he's never gotten used to stock performance and therefore has no frame of reference to compare the improvement with.

@shatrughna
the handling issues-
like you said- the box helps you reach your desired speed quicker. the driver controls the top speed of the car.
if you feel comfortable in the scorpio at 120 or 140 currently,then there is no problem is there?
you will continue to drive at those speeds even after the box. with plenty of performance reserve left in case you feel like you need it.
I say so because my top speed remains the same after peteing, because I voluntarily limit myself to a 120-140. just that i get there much much faster.

other gains- more revvability, more useful rev range all the way to the redline.
better overtaking ability due to the much improved roll on timings.

Most people, including myself, forget that the box is also about driveability.
its all well and good tearing away from the traffic lights, and making everyone eat dust
the more practical gain is the behaviour of the cars in city conditions.
My regular drive has shifted from the highway to the city recently. I thought I would hate it, but, I was pleasantly surprised. The morning commute(during rush hour) is the main reason for me to be cheerful going to work

Why do I sound like a salesman????
Because I'm sold! completely!
Everytime I take the car out for a spin, I enjoy it, be it the ghats, the highways or bumper to bumper. Never had a car that was so entertaining till now, and I think its mainly due to the box!

Old 12th November 2008, 19:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
I have almost finalised to dispose my Verna CRDi and actively considering a new Laura- 70% chances/ or if plain lucky to get a good one- used Accord V6 or used Superb. So may be if its Petes, then its on Laura instead of Scorpio as I dont have a Verna.
Go for Laura and do the remapping and you will get 150bhp.The car you can really enjoying driving without any hazel after mapping is Laura.Why i told without hazel because It has traction control so no need to worry of stability problems.

Last edited by jerish666 : 12th November 2008 at 19:57.
Old 12th November 2008, 20:26   #18
BHPian

Remap is asking for trouble!!
the warranty and exhaust system goes for a toss
and yes expect the gear box and clutch to go kaput sooner than usual.

there is something known as GSHDEM!! dont ask me the details! too much to write to explain!

peace out
sameel
Old 12th November 2008, 20:51   #19
BHPian

Remap never ask for any problems.Nothing to worry and they do have the performace cluth.
I dont know about GSHDEM.
Old 13th November 2008, 00:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Shatrughna: Hey as everyone said dont think scorpio will be able to handle that power and whats the point getting when you wont be able to enjoy it unless ofcourse you upgrade the suspension and braking extensively.

I am driving fabia diesel with a remap got it done when the car had just crossed 4000 mark and now 13000kms with it. I was apprehensive about getting the remap due to warranty issue, thinking might be caught someday by service guys if they detect it has a software upgrade but natural would land up loosing my warranty but nothing of that sought happened. Have personaly seen them working on the ecu examiner to check for any errors during regular service and there is no way they can find out it has different parameters.
As for the drive its much better now as power gone to 100 bhp and 240nm torque from 70bhp and 154nm, almost 45% jump. Must say the car is much more lively to drive, the power stays on higher rpm too. Goes to 160 in no time now. Diesel cars are more about the torque then horserpower and its the torque which helps in gear acceleration.
With tuning box u may get better low end grunt but on higher revs the car will die out and plus more of black smoke will seen with the box. It does nothing but fooling the ecu by pumping in more fuel compared to remap which has new fuel mapping, new air fuel ratio, new turbo boost mapping and others is better overall. The gearbox in fabia is good enough to take torque of 250nm. With laura of course its not much different the gearbox in laura can max torque of 400 nm anything more then that is risking it. The laura engine also being used by Seat cars which has same engine with better turbo going upto 130 & 160 bhp with max torque 350nm after remap going to 400nm or so.
I suggest better option is to get the laura and get iit remapped with stage 2 and front mount intercooler and exhaust. can easily get 155-160. And not to forget laura chassis is superb, in europe people have same car with 200bhp petrol engine and with remap its different story all together and the car handles it beautifully.
Get the laura its worth anyday along with remap

I personally waiting for fabia / fabia combi with 1.9 tdi pd, would get the stage 2 remap well advantage over laura its 200kg lighter, another different story all together.

Cheers!

Last edited by Invinsible : 13th November 2008 at 00:31.
Old 13th November 2008, 00:40   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think Pete's sells his boxes for non-Euro engines. Or maybe that's changed now.
Old 13th November 2008, 12:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi, i drive an mHawk, after reading through the post I feel I might be interested for this magic petes box for my car. Any contacts in Hyd? what is the cost? my car has just done 7000km now.
Old 13th November 2008, 13:04   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Considering the problems that Steeroid had with his Safari, and that the cause "may" have been the powerbox, I wouldn't recommend a powerbox for any Mahindra or Tata. The Petes powerbox works beautifully on an Octavia, Verna or similar. But I'd not mess with fitting a Petes on a non-Euro engine.

Evaluate with extreme caution. Plus, I don't think the MHawk needs more power than it has anyways.
Old 13th November 2008, 15:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
S
As for the drive its much better now as power gone to 100 bhp and 240nm torque from 70bhp and 154nm, almost 45% jump. Must say the car is much more lively to drive, the power stays on higher rpm too. Goes to 160 in no time now. Diesel cars are more about the torque then horserpower and its the torque which helps in gear acceleration.
Cheers!
Just out of curiousity, what methods are used to substantiate these figures?
Old 13th November 2008, 15:57   #25
BHPian

dude please dont ask that question

no one has the answer..lolz.

@invincible dude! dont think that a remap is undetectable! it is detectable!! your case is normal. they just check for Error codes( whether they are set or not. , for sensors mainly) but a remap will be detected if they hook it on to a simple IRIS - ETAS (INCA V5.4.1) set up when a serious engine problem comes up

peace out
sameel
Old 14th November 2008, 17:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
I believe someone in our forum has driven one such Scorpio (Cant seem to recollect the name) - but am told it rocks!
Yes, fellow bhipan SYJ reported to have installed the petes box in his Scorpio 2.6 CRDe.

@ shatrughna : i guess you can contact him for 1st hand info.

here is the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...tml#post949381

Last edited by badboyscad : 14th November 2008 at 17:17.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:43   #27
BHPian

I just installed the Pete's box in my 2.6 Crde scorpio. It's worth every cent. I will post a detailed review soon. Took 3 seconds off the timing from 20 to 100 kmph.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering the problems that Steeroid had with his Safari, and that the cause "may" have been the powerbox, I wouldn't recommend a powerbox for any Mahindra or Tata. The Petes powerbox works beautifully on an Octavia, Verna or similar. But I'd not mess with fitting a Petes on a non-Euro engine.

Evaluate with extreme caution. Plus, I don't think the MHawk needs more power than it has anyways.
Sideways, congrats!! I am sure the ride is a zoom now than before.
I stuck to GTO's advice for my mHawk. I do not feel any lag as this engine has lot of linear power delivery and can take off well....most of the times, leaving other cars behind!! Also, after becoming a TBHP member, I have started driving more carefully. So speed binges only on open roads and that too within pre-defined limits!!
Old 24th February 2009, 17:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I just installed the Pete's box in my 2.6 Crde scorpio. It's worth every cent. I will post a detailed review soon. Took 3 seconds off the timing from 20 to 100 kmph.
Eagerly waiting for the detailed review...
Old 7th June 2009, 11:59   #30
BHPian

What are the suspension upgrade options for the Mhawk considering one puts Pete's in the scorp? What parts of the suspension would be modified to better the Handling capabilities? I have test driven a Mhawk yesterday and it blew me off, so for sure my next vehicle would be definitely a Scorp Mhawk

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks