Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2017, 10:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Aftermarket Armrest Fitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Same boat!

Estilo has very less gap between the front seats and therefore regular aftermarket armrests are an extremely tight fit with absolutely no clearance. Plus, the handbrake - when engaged - is at a slightly higher position than other Marutis. Armrest will compromise its operation. Even if we manage to fix one hoping to keep the armrest stationary, the fore and aft movement of both the front seats is likely to be hampered.

Hence, only a narrower than regular or a custom made armrest can be used in an Estilo.
O no.

Back home in Kolkata we have the Brio where we got the universal armrest added and its been a boon specially for Dad who usually takes the front passenger seat. In bangalore I have the Estilo and I noticed him being uncomfortable looking for a place to rest his right arm as the gear is too close to the seats. Hence was wondering how can I get an armrest done?

Any leads on any local shops around electronic city who can fabricate one for the estilo?

Last edited by SoumenD : 10th July 2017 at 10:59.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 15:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
O no.

Back home in Kolkata we have the Brio where we got the universal armrest added and its been a boon specially for Dad who usually takes the front passenger seat. In bangalore I have the Estilo and I noticed him being uncomfortable looking for a place to rest his right arm as the gear is too close to the seats. Hence was wondering how can I get an armrest done?

Any leads on any local shops around electronic city who can fabricate one for the estilo?
Even a thinner armrest is available. Check out one of bhpian paragsinchania's threads - I remember him mentioning about it.

BTW, I have installed the regular size universal armrest in my 2008 Alto and though it touches the seats, it's not a tight fit. And my Dad happily uses it from the passenger side.

Last edited by samaspire : 10th July 2017 at 15:17. Reason: Adding content
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 16:03   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Same boat!

Estilo has very less gap between the front seats and therefore regular aftermarket armrests are an extremely tight fit with absolutely no clearance. Plus, the handbrake - when engaged - is at a slightly higher position than other Marutis. Armrest will compromise its operation. Even if we manage to fix one hoping to keep the armrest stationary, the fore and aft movement of both the front seats is likely to be hampered.

Hence, only a narrower than regular or a custom made armrest can be used in an Estilo.
Quote:
O no.

The regular arm-rests will fit. I installed the "universal arm-rest" in my WagonR 1.0 recently and I am very happy with the decision. It is a tight fit and difficult to use the seat belt locks and handbrake. But after a few days of use, you can operate them blindfolded. The single piece arm rest is decent to be used by driver and co-passenger together. It gets squeezed between the front seats and increases the lateral support slightly.
There is slight rubbing between the seats and arm-rest while reclining the seats but I have faced no issues in the past 4k kms.

To fit it, don't try to squeeze it and push between the seats from above. The clearance between the seats is a higher at the lower part (where the seat back meets base). Go to the back seat and insert the handrest between the seats from the backseat. Once there, slowly lift the handrest to the desired height and get it fixed with screws.

Last edited by ashis89 : 10th July 2017 at 16:05.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 09:54   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

As per request from fellow BHPian, I am sharing some pics of the armrest installed in my WagonR.
Mods, please move or delete this post if necessary.
Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499746780.482750.jpg
Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499746813.108784.jpg
Tightly squeezed between the seats but all can move without issues. No rattles present due to lack of space
Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499746916.725364.jpg
Ply pieces given as packing to fix on to the narrow central console
Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499746972.847989.jpg
Armrest lifted to show the fit below
Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499747003.516219.jpg
Armrest in place, view from driver's POV
Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499747041.235896.jpg
From co-passenger's seat, seatbelt lock is in a corner
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 10:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
As per request from fellow BHPian...
Thanks Ashis89.

Is this the one you got from Amazon?

http://www.amazon.in/ACW-Black-Armre...inhydr18418-21

In most of the product descriptions its mentioned minimum distance of 14cm should be there between the front seats. Is this distance between front seat base or seat shoulders?
Old 11th July 2017, 11:06   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ashis89.

Is this the one you got from Amazon?

http://www.amazon.in/ACW-Black-Armre...inhydr18418-21

In most of the product descriptions its mentioned minimum distance of 14cm should be there between the front seats. Is this distance between front seat base or seat shoulders?
I ordered the model given in the below mentioned link:
http://www.amazon.in/Ascension-Armb0...ilpage_o02_s00

The distance of 14 cm between seats should be at the point where the armrest cushion would be. Assume you want to keep a wooden block on your handbrake which is 14 cm wide and about 10 inches high. In the first and last 2 pics, you can see the armrest is squeezed between the seats, pushing the lower part of the seat lateral support to make some space. You can try this in your car by pushing the seat lateral cushions in the same area and measuring the gap.

You can also order one and check the fit first, without drilling holes. If it doesn't work, just return it back.

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th July 2017 at 11:09.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 16:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
Hello ! Could you please share contact details/Name&Location of the shop.
Thanks!
Hi,

Sorry just saw this today.

The place is called Sunny Enterprises, and they are located at C-212, Chandan Vihar,Nihal Vihar, Near Raja Public School, Gali No.- 6, Nangloi, Delhi, 110041, India. This is their shop address (taken from Google), which is closed on Sundays. Their factory is in Kanjhawala.

The guys number is 9999939962. You can call him and coordinate.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Sinner666 : 11th July 2017 at 16:15.
Sinner666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 22:35   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Share some photos please. It might help others.
Sorry for the delay in posting the photos. The project is not yet complete. Kindly ignore the bad quality of the photo. Will post proper pics once I finish the project. Any suggestions would be of great help.
Attached Thumbnails
Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_20170714_220458.jpg  

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_20170714_220514.jpg  

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_20170714_220315.jpg  

Last edited by Akib Khan : 15th July 2017 at 22:49.
Akib Khan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 04:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Installed the armrest in my Alto. It's a tight fit but both the seats can be moved without problem. Had to drill just two holes in the Handbrake casing

Attachment 1494136
Attachment 1494137

Many thanks to schakravarthy who gave me the armrest and Abirnale the original owner.
Can you share some more details on the armrest. I am planning to fit one in my Alto k10 but worried about the fit. Your installation looks perfect.
Old 22nd December 2017, 02:22   #40
BHPian

After procrastinating for three years, I finally went ahead and installed an armrest in my Alto K10 VXI AMT. The main reason of my inaction was my doubt if an armrest could be fitted in this car. Three years ago when I had accessorized my car to the hilt at Glix (Saltlake, Kolkata), they had clearly told me that it is not possible to install an armrest in my car. The products listed online were also not confidence-inspiring until of late, two products on Amazon caught my sight, both of the same Kingsway brand. The more expensive (dearer by Rs. 350) armrest has a glass holder and ash tray on top. I chose the ordinary one (link) as it measured 8 cm in width, as against 9 cm width of the premium variety (link). Delivery was free and I also got a Rs. 75 discount by using Amazon Pay Balance.

Build quality
The product is entirely made of plastic with a cushion top (covered by art leather) for the armrest. The plastic is not flimsy; it will endure the weight of your arm and absorb minor impacts. The lid of the storage compartment feels heavy and it take a effort to open the lid.

Looks
The finish however is very ordinary. It will look cheap inside the car. Also, the beige colour doesn't match the beige shade of the Alto K10's interior. Unlike the image provided on the Amazon website, the base of the armrest also came in beige instead of black. I raised an issue and wrote both to Amazon and the seller asking if they could send me a black base instead. The replies weren't encouraging and I decided to keep the product. I am planning to spray paint the base with black colour. Need to get hold of a mechanic to do that for me! If it was possible, I would also like to paint the arm rest main body in the exact shade of beige that the Alto K10 comes with! I wonder if it is possible to get that exact shade of colour!

Installation

Assembling the parts is easy. First, I screwed the armrest proper to the base using the four screws supplied for the purpose. I realized that two more screws should have been provided to make the fixture more stable. Next, I screwed the side stands to complete the assembly, using the four screw-bolts provided.

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_20171220_112535762edited.jpg
Photo of the assembled product. Also note that the colour doesn't match the beige interior (seen on the doorpad) of the car - photo captured in daylight. Further note that later on I made a minor change how the side stands have been attached in this photo.

Coming to the installation proper, it is actually easy. I simply installed it like a 'fit-on' arm rest, placing it from a posterosuperior approach. The base of the armrest seats well on the handbrake console and the side stands make sure the arm rest stays in place.. But one has to keep in mind that it is a very tight fit and every millimetre is important. That is what I realized after my first install. The arm rest was under pressure from the seats on either side and went for a toss when the seats were moved back and forth! I took it out and saved at least 2.5 mm of space removing the side stands and reattaching them in the following way
  • placed them from the inside of the base, instead of outside
  • used the most bottom hole for the screw-bolts, so that the screw heads were no longer in contact with the seats

After this modification, the arm rest fit well. It was more stable. I was also pleased to note there was enough space for the handbrake to be operated. But then arose another problem. In my excitement, I had completely ignored the bottle holder which is a standard fitment in the Alto K10, placed behind the handbrake console. I had completely blocked it! I refitted the arm rest, this time slightly ahead and placed a one litre bottle in the bottle holder. This interfered with the full operation of the handbrake! I moved the base back and forth till I found the right balance. In this way the hand brake isn't disturbed and a bottle can be kept in the holder.

What remains is drilling. I need to visit a mechanic to get the drilling done. Drilling will make the whole arm rest more stable. It still wobbles when the seats are moved. For the drilling job, the front seats will have to be removed. I have already made a note of where the drilling points should be.

I also need to procure two more screws of the same size to make the arm rest's body-to-base fixture more strong.

Functionality

Post installation, I was pleased to see that the armrest rose to the same height as compared to the doorpad armrest.

The armrest cushion can slide forward if you need.

The armrest doesn't get in the way of the seat belt clips. Seat belts can be tied without a hassle.

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_20171221_212741874.jpg
I am already loving the extra storage it comes with.

The armrest can be raised when not in use.

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_20171221_213909079.jpg
The armrest obstructs the hand when operating the handbrake. Before operating the handbrake, I will have to raise the armrest every time.

It still takes away some ~ 2.5 mm space from the bottle holder area, so the bottle is a snug fit.

I am also no longer able to shut the bottle holder when not in use. That is a compromise I can live with.

EDIT: I have a dozen photographs to upload. Could not upload most of them after trying for an hour due to some technical glitch on Team-BHP server.

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_20171221_2156295882.jpg
The armrest cushion can slide forward if you need

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_20171221_2140447382.jpg
Post install, I was pleased to note that the armrest was at the same level as compared to the doorpad armrest.

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img_20171221_213557426.jpg
The water bottle is a snug fit

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img20171220wa0011.jpg
Installation complete

Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-img20171220wa0012.jpg
The armrest can be raised when not in use

EDIT: Mods, kindly merge this post with the previous one.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd December 2017 at 06:08. Reason: Back to back posts merged on request
wishnipon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 10:44   #41
BHPian

I have a Hyundai i10 Sportz (2011) which doesn't have a armrest. So was planning to buy and install one and got the universal armrest from amazon. The product was assembled and when I tried to test the fitment in the car I cam across the major challenge.

The challenge is that the reclining knob for both the front seats are present right near the seat belt locks of each seat i.e., above the handbrake. So now if I fit the armrest I won't be able to reach the recline knob of both the seats.

Have highlighted the knob in red circle on the below image.

Has anyone faced this issue and fixed it? Please let me know if you have any fix for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Aftermarket Armrest Fitment-capture.jpg  

saratjyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 14:29   #42
BHPian

Hello, I faced the same problem with my 2008 i10 AT Sportz variant. In fact the aftermarket shop guy fitted the entire assembly and then noticed that it was fouling with the reclining knob. He just couldn't do anything and removed the whole assembly. The poor guy got a mouthful from the shop owner for wasting productive time. Most cars have this knob on the door side. I do not know if future generations i10 cars have this knob on the door side. But the fact of the matter is I am yet to find an arm rest which fits on my i10. I sorely miss it. Please let me know if you find something suitable.
Old 5th November 2021, 12:52   #43
BHPian

Has anyone here recently got the "Universal Armrest" installed in their car? I have seen videos of them which have like 7 USB ports and many other things. I think they even shift left and right (obviously width permitting).
Has anyone installed those in smaller hatchback car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks