Team-BHP > Motor-Sports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 22:27   #286
BHPian

Re: Want to be a Track Marshall at the Indian F1 GP? EDIT: Now closed.

This is what they said at the presentation. One of the presenters did comment that they were talking to the Jaypee group to see if meals and even accommodation can be arranged but no promises were made. Expect to be at the track 4-5 days during the race week 7 am to 6pm and travel at your own cost. There are a couple of dry runs planned as well and outstation guys will probably need to attend too. I am not associated with IMMC in any way and only commenting on what I heard at the presentation, It is best that you attend the induction presentation and ask your questions to the organizers directly.
Old 21st April 2011, 22:44   #287
Senior - BHPian

I have no problem traveling at my own expense but at the very least, and in their own interest, they should arrange for accomodation, food and water. Marshals are crucial to the event especially if we are track marshals. I hope they aren't planning to use us as traffic/parking attendants etc.

One upset Marshal waving blue / red flags randomly can totally screw up the race with no chance to repair the solution. Touching the cars without the insulating gloves can kill a Marshal. This is no joke...I am sure they will make us waive off any liability before the event. Given the effort and concentration required by the Marshals I feel they should take care of some basic requirements.

Anyway I'll pose these questions to them and demand some clarification...
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:49   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I have no problem traveling at my own expense but at the very least, and in their own interest, they should arrange for accomodation, food and water. Marshals are crucial to the event especially if we are track marshals. I hope they aren't planning to use us as traffic/parking attendants etc.

One upset Marshal waving blue / red flags randomly can totally screw up the race with no chance to repair the solution. Touching the cars without the insulating gloves can kill a Marshal. This is no joke...I am sure they will make us waive off any liability before the event. Given the effort and concentration required by the Marshals I feel they should take care of some basic requirements.

Anyway I'll pose these questions to them and demand some clarification...
Totally agree with your point. I am not going if I am posted outside the track. In Singapore, they had got school/college kids for the non-track assistance and the marshalls only manned the track.

Last edited by Jaguar : 22nd April 2011 at 00:50.
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:34   #289
Senior - BHPian

I wholeheartedly agree with the above understanding. We are enthusiast who are willing to work for free but even voluntary organizations and NGOs do not ask their activist to bring own food and water.

Apart from Marshalling(active on the track) can not and should not be equated by Jaypee to parking attendant; should it be the case personally it will be a no go for me.
Old 22nd April 2011, 14:06   #290
Senior - BHPian

So many questions...

Will they provide:

1. Earmuffs
2. Insulated Gloves
3. Flame-Proof overalls and shoes

Among other things...

Without earmuffs you can go deaf listening to an F1 car if you are standing trackside. It is not a pleasant experience and I know because I stood near the Marshals at the start of Eau Rouge at Spa when the care went by and I fell to the ground clutching my ears while I dug out the ear-plugs from my bag. A single car passing by is LOUD...the start of the race is horrendously loud.

Just a note to everyone here...being a Marshal is not worth it if you are forced to work in sub-standard conditions without the right equipment. I doubt the FIA will turn a blind eye to any cost-cutting on this front but you never know. Indians have a habit of dismissing the efforts and needs of the hired help without realizing that our homes function the way they do because of these hardworking people...
Old 22nd April 2011, 15:11   #291
Senior - BHPian

Got a mail from IMMC about induction program schedule:

Delhi: Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th, April 2011, at 11am & repeat at 3pm. Venue will be Jaypee Public School, G-Block, Jaypee Greens, Greater Noida.
Mumbai: Saturday 30th April 2011, at 11am & repeat at 3pm. Venue will be announced soon.
Bangalore: Sunday 1st May 2011, at 11am & repeat at 3pm. Venue : Bowring Institute.

Planning to go for May 1st program.
SilentEngine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 16:00   #292
Senior - BHPian

I am also planning to attend the bangalore morning session.
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:27   #293
BHPian

Got an SMS from IMMC regarding the same as quoted by SilentEngine. Who are all attending the Blore program, please post at which time slot you'll be attending so that we can have a Team-BHP meet there!
Old 22nd April 2011, 21:44   #294

I attended the session last week in Greater Noida. The impression I got was that all necessary equipment will be be provided. I don't think that it is even possible to have an event of this magnitude and do without the things that you have mentioned. Fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
So many questions...

Will they provide:

1. Earmuffs
2. Insulated Gloves
3. Flame-Proof overalls and shoes

Among other things...

Without earmuffs you can go deaf listening to an F1 car if you are standing trackside. It is not a pleasant experience and I know because I stood near the Marshals at the start of Eau Rouge at Spa when the care went by and I fell to the ground clutching my ears while I dug out the ear-plugs from my bag. A single car passing by is LOUD...the start of the race is horrendously loud.

Just a note to everyone here...being a Marshal is not worth it if you are forced to work in sub-standard conditions without the right equipment. I doubt the FIA will turn a blind eye to any cost-cutting on this front but you never know. Indians have a habit of dismissing the efforts and needs of the hired help without realizing that our homes function the way they do because of these hardworking people...
Old 23rd April 2011, 00:26   #295
BHPian

Not everyone will get muffs and safety gear etc. it will be based on your duty and if you really need the gear. I think you can forget about touching the cars or meeting the drivers etc. You are not even getting close to either. Did I mention that cameras, binoculars etc are not allowed and you cannot even use your mobile unless it is an extreme emergency. It was mentioned that this is hard work and not a free pass to see the race up close. So if you want to enjoy the race with a drink in hand, buy a ticket.
Old 23rd April 2011, 07:32   #296
BHPian

hi

who all are going from hyderabad to the bangalore session? May be i can hitch a ride?
Old 23rd April 2011, 13:58   #297
Senior - BHPian

I started at 9 from Gurgaon to G Noida however, I misjudged the grueling traffic jam en-route and by 11 I was stuck in GK 2 mess took a U turn and in 1 hr I was back. Will try to reach again tomorrow.

Anyone interested to accompany me tomorrow is most welcome I plan to start at 9 again? PM me.
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:31   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
Not everyone will get muffs and safety gear etc. it will be based on your duty and if you really need the gear. I think you can forget about touching the cars or meeting the drivers etc. You are not even getting close to either. Did I mention that cameras, binoculars etc are not allowed and you cannot even use your mobile unless it is an extreme emergency. It was mentioned that this is hard work and not a free pass to see the race up close. So if you want to enjoy the race with a drink in hand, buy a ticket.
So I guess I'll stand back and watch the car push itself off the track in that case

Seriously...if you are anywhere near the track (which is the duty of a track marshal) then they have to provide Ear-Muffs. I am going to politely assume you've been to a GP before (like I have) and you know what I am talking about.

Hard work is fine...
Foolhardiness isn't!
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:41   #299
BHPian

Some key points as told by Ejji Umamahesh in today's session, that might be of interest to applicants:
- marshals will be provided food and beverages, but they can also bring eatables from home
- transport will be provided from locations in NCR, people may commute by their own vehicles and parking will be provided
- next training session dates should be available by may 1st week, till then approx. dates are in june
- marshals will be required from monday thru sunday on race week
- earmuffs and other gear (gloves, hard hat etc.) WILL be provided to marshals whose positions require them to have these equipment

At the end of the session, a form was given in which preference for job was asked to be filled in by applicants. There were 3 very basic questions about current F1 season.

Also present at today's session was Vicky Chandhok.

And yes, do carry along a pen.
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:54   #300
BHPian

+1 to black_rider. All the required equipment, safety gear, etc would be provided. We don't need to worry about this. Ear muffs, glasses, boots.. Everything that would be required by the relevant person and his position on the circuit.

Accommodation for people from outside NCR would also be provided along with the food and transportation for the race week.

Also, for people curious about the selection process, there is no elimination at this induction phase. In the end we are required to give our preferences for the area of marshalling, details of which will be explained. There would be 4 theory based training sessions followed by a test. On passing this test you'd have two practical training sessions and the final race week.

Last edited by niteshbids : 23rd April 2011 at 20:04. Reason: Missed some info to be mentioned

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks