Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2016, 13:50   #166
BHPian

Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

I guess Mumbai is the only city where they are not offering test rides. They said there is no test ride vehicle and I should check in 10-12 days!! What are they assembling a new bike!!?
Old 21st December 2016, 13:57   #167
BHPian

Re: Bajaj launches Dominar 400 at Rs. 1.36 lakh (Disc brake variant) & Rs. 1.5 lakh (ABS variant)

Visited Select Bajaj at Uppal cross roads today. There was a bike on display however, no test rides being offered. I was informed that I had to book for a ride which I did by entering my name and phone number in a register. I was also informed that the on road price of the bike had not been confirmed. Friday the 23rd is when they would start test rides and provide on road price details of the bike. The showroom will be open till 12 am.

Ridiculous especially when Bangalore and the other regions have already started providing test rides and also have the on road price.

Initial impressions- the bike felt good and I quite liked the riding posture.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 14:11   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadilicious View Post
But I do not understand. What is the point of not including a main stand. Weight? Ground Clearance ? Especially in India, it does not make any sense to not include the main stand.
I mean i may not be aware the advantages of exclusion of the stand. So, just wanted to know.
I guess it does not suit the bike, whether off or on the stand.
Image a RC on the centre stand.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 15:50   #169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If this news is authentic...then...the only question I have is...Why?
How else could they have launched it at the current pricing?

Also, they would not want to directly transplant the KTM motor to this, to avoid cross shopping. They work together after all.

Lastly, the D is not supposed to be an outright rocket like the KTM, Bajaj didn't intend it to be one, hence an SOHC motor with slightly more weight was an ideal choice.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 16:58   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Checked the Dominar. Riding stance is tad sporty.

For those who want the Dominar and yet an upright stance, a "half-one" inch handlebar riser would do the trick

It's a one piece handlebar. Would be easy to fit a handlebar riser
Fitting a handlebar riser won't automatically turn it into a long-distance cruiser, though. A lot of reports are coming in that the riding posture of the bike is rather sporty, meaning you ride with your feet tucked behind you. If you raise the bars, your feet are still behind you, so you're in this rather awkward position. Ask anyone who rode an early-year RE Thunderbird or a Bullet with high handlebars fitted. You're not doing your back any favors here

A cruiser, by definition, has a foot-forward stance as well as higher handlebars for an overall relaxed position, which is great for all-day-long highway rides. I'm really not sure the Dominar counts. Which is sad because I was really looking forward to that!
marcussantiago is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 17:28   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
How else could they have launched it at the current pricing?
How else? Million different ways!! But certainly not appreciated through limping motor. Even a lesser quality on Diasil or Nickasel coating better than not doing it at all.
Old 21st December 2016, 17:52   #172
BANNED

Quote:
How else? Million different ways!! But certainly not appreciated through limping motor.
Limping motor?

That's serious. How is it a limping motor?
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 18:18   #173
BHPian

Quote:
But certainly not appreciated through limping motor.
I think it would be better to rephrase that as limping motor compared particularly to KTM 390. Otherwise, the performance on offer trumps comparative offerings by nearly everyone else at the price point. Yes, the bike pales but only against KTM and it is unfair to compare both of them so brutally considering this is first attempt by Bajaj in a motor this large.

For all the shortcomings (there aren't many), Bajaj took the efforts to develop their own version derived from KTM with considerable changes rather than plonking it in with some detuning.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 19:56   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
Fitting a handlebar riser won't automatically turn it into a long-distance cruiser..

A cruiser, by definition, has a foot-forward stance..

I DON'T want a Cruiser. I WANT a comfortable motorcycle with all safety features.

I like the NS200/Duke Type of riding stance: ie with Upright handlebars and rear set foot pegs.

With this kind of riding position can can control the bike with the legs and also stand up on the footpegs.

Even my Impulse has almost a similar stance.

I checked the Dominar .. just by fitting a handlebar riser I will be able to set it to my preferred stance.

I hate feet forward stance. Wouldn't even touch the Dominar it had one.

Last edited by payeng : 21st December 2016 at 20:07.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 21:29   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone who has TD the bike shed some light on the following points

1. Wind blast at 100+ speeds
2. Headlamp intensity compared to 60/55W usually present on most of the bikes WRT to spread and throw.
3. Does the bike feel heavy when on move?

TIA
Old 21st December 2016, 22:53   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can anyone who has TD the bike shed some light on the following points

1. Wind blast at 100+ speeds
2. Headlamp intensity compared to 60/55W usually present on most of the bikes WRT to spread and throw.
3. Does the bike feel heavy when on move?

TIA
(1) Could not get to 100 or even 90 to check for windblast, in city traffic, it is a naked bike, so expect regular amount of windblast.

(3) Not really, but after my ride, my P220's handling felt weird for a few minutes. You feel the weight taking it off stand or pushing back/forth.

(2) Last Saturday at the launch, I observed the Dominar's lights up close and looking into the headlights, I wasn't dazzled/blinded like I expected to. The lights also didn't light up the outside area of the showroom (there is a glass wall in front of the bikes on display). That raised doubts in my mind as to how effective they'd be in real world.

The low beam is quite good, with better range and spread than the P220 which is my benchmark, not having experienced the RS200 which is a bit better.
The high beam was a disappointment to me. Looking into them, not only was not dazzled/hurt by them, the P220's high beam is blinding in comparison. Now the P220 high beam is weak spread but high penetration, so puts more lumens into a narrower beam , but allows more distance to be illuminated. The Dominar's high beam has better spread, but lacks intensity and visual horsepower, if I may say so. My P220 has aftermarket premium bulbs but standard wattage (H7 55W , German made Osram Silverstar so it has lasted this long from 2008).

I didn't have many signboards to light up, but those are reflective and show up nicely even with a small light incident on them. Daily objects like bushes, vehicles on the other had, did not get lit up brightly in the Dominar's beams.

All in all, for anyone who's ridden the Pulsar 220 or RS200 extensively, the lights will be good enough.
Sidenote: the Dominar's flasher switch causes the low beam to light up, instead of high beam.

PS: I have booked the D400. Now having second thoughts, since enlightening the world, or at least the road/path I intend to traverse, is my pet OCD. At the showroom was a dark blue Pulsar 220 and an RS200 ; wondering if those will light my world better. The ride I had was short and did not get a completely dark stretch to my satisfaction, but preliminary feel is that the LED lights don't live up to my expectations. Maybe a longer ride with more varied background illumination will help settle the matter.

PPS: I have a cheap LED torch, that has far greater focused beam range, so I don't see why LEDs can't make for good high beams, at least in dry weather.

Last edited by Ricci : 21st December 2016 at 22:58.
Ricci is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 23:20   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
(PS: I have booked the D400. Now having second thoughts, since enlightening the world, or at least the road/path I intend to traverse, is my pet OCD. At the showroom was a dark blue Pulsar 220 and an RS200 ; wondering if those will light my world better. .
I have an extensive experience riding the following bikes, and I rate them according to their performance

Pulsar 220 < 200NS/RS < Duke 200 < CBR250R < RC 390

Now Dominar slots nicely between CBR250R and RC390. It is noticeably faster than the CBR250R and noticeably slower than the RC390.

Dominar is advanced, safer, and more powerful than what a 220F/RS 200 is ever going to be. You have made a right choice booking the dominar. Congrats!

I don't understand what is the big deal about light intensity. 900 bucks on amazon for twin LED auxiliary lamps, and it lights up the entire district(not really, entire road effectively ). Installation is quite simple and looks tasteful too.

Dominar is not just another pulsar, remember, it is a detuned ktm 390.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 21st December 2016 at 23:24.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 00:22   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I have an extensive experience riding the following bikes, and I rate them according to their performance

I don't understand what is the big deal about light intensity. 900 bucks on amazon for twin LED auxiliary lamps, and it lights up the entire district(not really, entire road effectively ). Installation is quite simple and looks tasteful too.

Dominar is not just another pulsar, remember, it is a detuned ktm 390.
No doubt, in performance terms. I'm looking at a more rounded usable bike though, which is why in the first place (besides the price difference) the Dominare holds this much interest, else I'd go for the Duke rightaway.

Aftermarket lights need more jugaad - wiring, mount brackets and then there's the risk of being stolen, or easily damaged in a minor fall.

As for being a detuned D390, Bajaj Auto would like to disagree
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:21   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

Hey Prasanna, I have been pondering over replacing my 5yrs old FZ16, which I initially bought for city run about. Though I have my GT TDI for all those really long/beautiful stretches, I am considering a tourer, but here are my requirement:

- Having understand how 'Power/Performance' from my GT can really give me the nirvana, I need a quick & powerful engine.
- Because of the point 1, I think a naked bike may not be 'The Most Ideal', considering the wind blast they are prone to.
- The touring will be with my wife and so pillion comfort is at the top of the list. Though there will be solo runs occasionally.
- As I still prefer my GT for really long escapades, this will be a moderate tourer, say like <150kms at max. So FE may not be a major requirement, but at least the tank must be decent enough.

I know it sounds silly, but I am somehow being drawn towards RC 390, though I think the CBR 250 is not a bad choice either.

Please suggest the bike you think would give me most of the above requirements if not all.

Appreciate your time.
Vik0728 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:40   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
(1) Could not get to 100 or even 90 to check for windblast, in city traffic, it is a naked bike, so expect regular amount of windblast....
Congratulations on booking the D. When is the delivery expected?

For me the main concern is the lack of big enough visor to deflect the wind blast over the helmet. All the reviews just rave about the bike and not a single review has mentioned anything about the wind blast. Now , this can mean only two things.

1. Bajaj has taken care of the windblast with that tiny shield
2. The reviews are least bothered about this aspect or do not want to publish about this aspect.

Awaiting some real unbiased ownership reviews . Please do a thorough review once you get the bike.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 30th December 2016 at 04:27. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile users.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks