Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 19:35   #61
Team-BHP Support
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,423
Thanked: 1,635 Times
Default

Another note from my experience and observations is that BMW wins the reliability battle.

Yes regular maintenance-costs are same as Merc and Audi but I've never heard any horror stories of failures and breakdowns like Mercedes and VAG/Skoda. Plus they have the BSI package and what not for peace of mind.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You would, but thats probably a percent of the market. The 3s stiff ride quality is the no.1 owner complaint. Thats precisely why BMW softened the 3's suspension in recent times. I can understand a harsh ride on a sports car, but will certainly not accept it in a 4 door luxury sedan
What they should so is offer a sport package for that 1-2% and then have their cake and eat it too.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:14   #62
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gurgaon/Bangalore, India
Posts: 33
Thanked: 5 Times
Thumbs up

Absolutely comprehensive and fabulous review GTO.
I am amazed at level of details you notice things. I have been looking at recent hatchbacks myself as I was planning to buy one and doing my own inspection and TDs but have never been able to capture fine details as you do.
Eagerly awaiting your reviews for 530d now.
Safari_Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:40   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,578
Thanked: 68,081 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
just imagine that they are giving it a proper gated 6 speed manual transmission ......
and that will be a hoot to drive like no other
I'd give anything for one, though am pretty sure that Sahil prefers AT. BMW does sell the new 5 with a manual in Europe. However, in India, 99% of premium car customers are AT fans. When I got my C220 6 speed manual, it was still a made-to-order. Mercedes offered the current-gen C Class with a manual tranny at the start, but discontinued it eventually due to lack in demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Plus they have the BSI package and what not for peace of mind.
This is the biggest plus for BMW, and I simply cant understand why Merc is yet to offer a comparable plan.

Quote:
I am amazed at level of details you notice things. I have been looking at recent hatchbacks myself as I was planning to buy one and doing my own inspection and TDs but have never been able to capture fine details as you do.
Thanks. I do hope you plan to share your observations / comparisons with the rest of the community. Please do, it'll help a great many hatchback owners.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:57   #64
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,044
Thanked: 1,665 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd give anything for one, though am pretty sure that Sahil prefers AT. BMW does sell the new 5 with a manual in Europe. However, in India, 99% of premium car customers are AT fans. When I got my C220 6 speed manual, it was still a made-to-order. Mercedes offered the current-gen C Class with a manual tranny at the start, but discontinued it eventually due to lack in demand.
True, I do prefer automatics. But I were you, driving only at nights or highways then probably would perhaps prefer a manual.
We have two drivers, one is used by my mother & sister, the other by my father. Hence I am always self driving in the daytime too, in which case a manual in traffic is a nightmare!
If I were to ever buy a sport car or lifestyle vehicle that would only be used by me at night or highway runs, I would pick a manual or a precise flappy paddle box.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:41   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
S350L-E240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: India
Posts: 1,416
Thanked: 371 Times
Default

Sahil, confirmed again today the 520d will be about 37L Ex-showroom and will launch by Q12011.

Coming to manual cars, GTO I think the C in limited numbers is made in manual as the dealer here has a nice black C220 CDI with manual transmission, but I my family would kill me before we get back to Mercedes-Benz in this country.

Also is the engine in the 530d/525d a whole new block or is it a carry over? Reason being I'm wondering if BMW also has new engines planned similar to the E250 CDI's block using 4 cylinders with similar performance but lower emissions? And any comparisons between the emission figures between the 525d v/s E250 CDI?

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:30   #66
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: aurangabad
Posts: 308
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Sahil, confirmed again today the 520d will be about 37L Ex-showroom and will launch by Q12011.

Coming to manual cars, GTO I think the C in limited numbers is made in manual as the dealer here has a nice black C220 CDI with manual transmission, but I my family would kill me before we get back to Mercedes-Benz in this country.

Also is the engine in the 530d/525d a whole new block or is it a carry over? Reason being I'm wondering if BMW also has new engines planned similar to the E250 CDI's block using 4 cylinders with similar performance but lower emissions? And any comparisons between the emission figures between the 525d v/s E250 CDI?

Regards,
i can not understand the problems with these manufacturers , why cant they give an option for that ? just keep an option open for manual trannys and those who wants to buy will buy . further keep the costs down by 2lks and lets see whats sells more auto or mannual
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:42   #67
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 660
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
i can not understand the problems with these manufacturers , why cant they give an option for that ? just keep an option open for manual trannys and those who wants to buy will buy . further keep the costs down by 2lks and lets see whats sells more auto or mannual
I am guessing its due to the issue of the jerky acceleration when chauffeur driven which is eliminated in the case of an AT.

Maybe BMW doesn't want this to affect their reputation considering India is mainly a chauffeur driven market for these luxury sedans ?

GTO/Sahil, please correct my understanding, your views please !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 14:29   #68
BHPian
 
Dieselite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 151
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

AWESOME review GTO ! It reminds me of why i felt like joining this forum in the first place. Relevant , accurate , unbiased and convincing !!

Cant wait for you to to get your hands on the 530d !!
Dieselite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:12   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 2,617
Thanked: 831 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Nice review GTO

reg the air blower below the front seat - wont the rear passenger stretching his legs block it ? why not place it in the B-PILLAR like some cars do

also what is the benefit of regenerative braking system ? where does the braking energy go into - the batteries ? if so - isnt this a mere gimmick. batteries are any way charged on the run.
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:38   #70
BHPian
 
turbochrgd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 32
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you tested the car in Mumbai, and the number started with HR, I presume it is.



This is probably the first automatic car I enjoyed driving so much (EDIT : Actually, I loved the A4 3.2 FSI too). And I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the aggressive 8 speed.



I guess you misread? After hard driving, the MID should read more like 18L / 100 kms!



Don't know how I missed mentioning that. Thanks for sharing, added to the review.

Yup , the car had a HR registration.

About the economy thing , i guess i must have misread ( cause checked it while i was driving )

The 8 speed is Butter on a Hot pan. Also loved the engine grunt.

Was suppose to drive a M6 as well , but the car had some issues , so did not get a chance to rip it.
turbochrgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 16:07   #71
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,044
Thanked: 1,665 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
I am guessing its due to the issue of the jerky acceleration when chauffeur driven which is eliminated in the case of an AT.

Maybe BMW doesn't want this to affect their reputation considering India is mainly a chauffeur driven market for these luxury sedans ?

GTO/Sahil, please correct my understanding, your views please !
Yes that could also be true. An automatic car is defiantly more comfortable to be driven in, unless you driver knows when and how to shift smoothly.
Also , even on the few occasions the owner decides to drive, he can't bare to drive a manual so an automatic gives that flexibility.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 16:21   #72
BHPian
 
goingout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

I hope you did record a video of this test? I would love to see the interior features working in a video (like the seats, steering etc.)

goingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 21:49   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,818
Thanked: 334 Times
Question Give us an option - what do we do ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
@GTO- Neat work on inscribing the www. team-bhp .com on my plates ! We should have taken one pic of the rear side-by-side too. The clear LED turn signals would outshine the F10

I forgot to mention one thing that really pissed me off about the F10 most is the absence of a spare wheel well. This is outright BULLYING by BMW. If you don't have space for a spare then obviously you will hesistate to shift to tubeless. Which means every-time you need a tyre change due to wear&tear or tyre damage(which is very common on run flats) you have to contact only your BMW dealer and let them pocket a hefty profit for the company as Run flats are not commonly available outside.

If BMW can adapt to markets like China by offering a long wheel base version of the 5er, then why can't they just let the customer choose if he wants run flats or not !?



A VERY valid point. BMW or anyone else for that matter should give the owner the choice of running whatever tyres one wants.

Why should we HAVE to use runflats ?? [b]There is no logic to this restrictive trade practice. [/B This Moploply Trade Practice should be done away with, BMW are you listening ???

Just because your sales charts are rocketing - you should not force run-flats down our throats ! We DO NOT LIKE YOUR ATTITUDE but we do love your cars

What do we do ??




Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 01:03   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,626
Thanked: 755 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Nice review GTO

reg the air blower below the front seat - wont the rear passenger stretching his legs block it ? why not place it in the B-PILLAR like some cars do

also what is the benefit of regenerative braking system ? where does the braking energy go into - the batteries ? if so - isnt this a mere gimmick. batteries are any way charged on the run.

Regenarative braking has been used in F1 for the last 3-4 seasons. This isn't a gimmick.
Regenerative brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Energy is stored in either a flywheel or another battery - for a boost that can be accessed later.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 13:50   #75
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: aurangabad
Posts: 308
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

whats ARAI is doing ???? is it sleeping ??? how come they allow somebody to come up with no spare tyre? it should be made mandetory and everybody should be made to bow down before them.
if the YAMAHA R1 can come up with a saree guard , then why cant beemer come up with a spare tyre ? its just the sleeping authorities and nothing else .
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!* VSD Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 85 25th July 2016 15:07
Diesels: Test drove an A6 3.0TDI and a BMW 525d Harbir Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 73 29th December 2011 21:51
BMW 525d - Initial Review & 23,000 kms / 13 months Report (page 5) Sahil Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 98 17th December 2011 13:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks