Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2016, 11:36   #151
BHPian

re: Chennai - Trivandrum : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Trichy - Viralimalai - Melur - Madurai is the direct route. Any specific reason to go via Dindugul?
Yes, I was told to take this, in order to avoid the madurai bypass, which seems not in a good condition and for the better roads in trichy-dindigul-madurai section. As per gmaps this deviation adds only about ~25 KM/15 minutes extra to the route mentioned by you.

Last edited by Makin Rulesz : 9th September 2016 at 11:37.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 12:12   #152
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai - Trivandrum : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
I got the confirmation that chennai-trichy-dindigul-madurai-nagercoil-trivandrum is the best route to take.
Also helpful would be the duration it takes to cover it on a saturday morning 5am start from chennai.
Below was my timing with the Viralimalai route:

Chengalpattu Bypass - 2140 hrs
Ulundurupet toll - 2335 hrs (broke for 10 min and started again)
Trichy bypass (Dindigul exit/TVS Tollgate) - 0100 hrs
Madurai (Othakadai) BP Ghar - 0250 hrs (broke here for tea for 20 min)
Madurai bypass (Kappalur end) - 0330 hrs
NH7 4-lane ends - 0615 hrs

Starting at 0500 hrs you should make up good ground, possibly expect reaching Ulundupet A2B around 0730 hrs.

Time wise there is no difference between the Dindigul route and Viralimalai route, both took 2:15 hrs from Kappalur to TVS tollgate and as of 2012 it saved about 60 INR in toll.

Am not able to predict the Trichy traffic at 0930-1000 ish, if it has traffic expect 40 min to catch the 4-lane on the other end (in off timings like 1530 hrs in afternoon, it took 20 min). That said the 2-lane Madurai bypass shouldn't be that bad around noon-ish (took me 30 min to cross at 1400 hrs once), its definitely not recommended post sundown (unless it is complete off timings like mine above). Post-sundown the 26 km stretch takes above 1 hr to negotiate.

This was sometime back, am not sure of present bypass condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Trichy - Viralimalai - Melur - Madurai is the direct route. Any specific reason to go via Dindugul?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Yes, I was told to take this, in order to avoid the madurai bypass, which seems not in a good condition and for the better roads in trichy-dindigul-madurai section. As per gmaps this deviation adds only about ~25 KM/15 minutes extra to the route mentioned by you.
The Viralimalai route (NH-45B) is actually shorter by about 15-20 km actually. The problem has been the 2-lane bypass condition+traffic. If you target to cross the bypass sundown or later, Dindigul route is definitely recommended even with the additional distance.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 11:55   #153
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Trivandrum : Route Queries

Both the below routes show exactly same distance. Based on the current road conditions and driving comfort, which one would be a better pick.

https://goo.gl/maps/2VJEDATWpPK2

https://goo.gl/maps/1STk3SimBv42
Old 29th March 2017, 12:08   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Both the below routes show exactly same distance.
If Poovar is the destination, it is Nagercoil route without any doubt. Please start your journey timing according to when you'll hit the Kavalkinaru-Poovar section.

I did Nedumangad-Neyyatinkara-Tenkasi-Rajapalayam-Srivilliputtur-Sivakasi-Virudhunagar on the return. Needless to say it was slow. Nedumangad-Neyyatinkara was slower than the bad sections like Nagercoil-Marthandam. Tenkasi-Srivilliputtur after dusk is strict no-no.
Old 29th March 2017, 12:16   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both the below routes show exactly same distance. Based on the current road conditions and driving comfort, which one would be a better pick.

The one via Nagercoil will certainly be faster - especially since your destination is Poovar. The Nagercoil-Kaliyikkavila section may pose a little bit of problem in terms of high traffic density, but the rest of the highway should be a breeze.

Madurai-Tenkasi-Trivandrum-Poovar can be quite slow since the roads aren't that broad and traffic is on the higher side like any of the other Kerala roads.
Old 29th March 2017, 13:03   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Be aware of possible traffic congestion between Marthandam and Kuzhithurai depending on the time you reach that section due to flyover construction work. Wait could be 5 to 30 minutes. Traffic from Marthandam to Kuzhithurai is oneway now. From Kuzhithurai to Marthandam and beyond has to take detour from Kuzhithurai.
Old 31st March 2017, 18:28   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Definitely the nagercoil route. The tenkasi route while scenic is low and chances of jams are rather high.

Regarding the nagercoil route, be advised that marthandam is a pain due to flyover work. going through marthandam which is a one way now is full of huge potholes. Getting back through marthandam you have to take a 5-10km deviation which is very bad at places.

Once you cross marthandam, it is pretty breezy. After kaliyakavillai, it's a narrow stretch to poovar but pretty empty and roads are good.

If you want to avoid marthandam, there is an alternate route via eraniel just after nagercoil. i did that stretch in my linea once but there were a couple of kms without any road but no traffic and it joins the road to poovar.

Have fun at Poovar
Old 31st March 2017, 23:37   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If Poovar is the destination, it is Nagercoil route without any doubt. Please start your journey timing according to when you'll hit the Kavalkinaru-Poovar section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The one via Nagercoil will certainly be faster - especially since your destination is Poovar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Be aware of possible traffic congestion between Marthandam and Kuzhithurai depending on the time you reach that section due to flyover construction work. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Definitely the nagercoil route. The tenkasi route while scenic is low and chances of jams are rather high.

If you want to avoid marthandam, there is an alternate route via eraniel just after nagercoil. i did that stretch in my linea once but there were a couple of kms without any road but no traffic and it joins the road to poovar.

Have fun at Poovar

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your inputs. Will stick to Nagarcoil route and update this thread once I am back.

@deathwalkr - I don't mind few kilometres without road as long as it saves some time 😀 Could you provide more details on that stretch? May be few more places along that route
Old 1st April 2017, 10:06   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@deathwalkr - I don't mind few kilometres without road as long as it saves some time 😀 Could you provide more details on that stretch? May be few more places along that route
Here you go:
https://goo.gl/3ezgZd

Please bear in mind that i took this stretch just once to reach Tuticorin. I dread the NH route with all the bottlenecks. This was a blessing compared to that, though for a few kms my linea would have abused me

Some places you would be like where the heck am i going and is google taking me on an adventure but had no issues.

In your case, since you are going to Poovar directly, the only bottlenecks would be Nagercoil and Marthandam. Can't really avoid Nagercoil anyhow, so you can avoid Marthandam in this route by following the map i have sent.

Crossing Marthandam at day time would take you 20-30mins at day time due to the construction work assuming you are in a 4 wheeler
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 10:15   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Crossing Marthandam at day time would take you 20-30mins at day time due to the construction work assuming you are in a 4 wheeler
Roads are closed too, and last week I was asked to take the Kulashekharam route to go from Nagercoil to Trivandrum.
Old 1st April 2017, 10:56   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Roads are closed too, and last week I was asked to take the Kulashekharam route to go from Nagercoil to Trivandrum.
Ah. Didn't know that. Past few months been taking the katakkada-vellarada route straight to Aralvaimozhi and then join the NH there. Makes life oh so much easier
Old 1st April 2017, 12:33   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Here you go:

https://goo.gl/3ezgZd

Please bear in mind that i took this stretch just once to reach Tuticorin. I dread the NH route with all the bottlenecks. This was a blessing compared to that, though for a few kms my linea would have abused me

Some places you would be like where the heck am i going and is google taking me on an adventure but had no issues.

In your case, since you are going to Poovar directly, the only bottlenecks would be Nagercoil and Marthandam. Can't really avoid Nagercoil anyhow, so you can avoid Marthandam in this route by following the map i have sent.

Thanks. My drive would be on XUV 500, so hope I can manage 😀
Old 12th April 2017, 16:06   #163
BHPian

Quote:
One more query on this - If I want to visit Padmanabhapuram Palace, Can i take a diversion from somewhere near to that and join the route you suggested. I see few connecting roads from Palace to the other route, but not sure how good they are.
Old 12th April 2017, 16:16   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more query on this - If I want to visit Padmanabhapuram Palace, Can i take a diversion from somewhere near to that and join the route you suggested. I see few connecting roads from Palace to the other route, but not sure how good they are.
sorry but i have no clue about those connecting roads. hopefully they are good
Old 23rd April 2017, 05:50   #165
BHPian

Quote:
sorry but i have no clue about those connecting roads. hopefully they are good

Took the regular route via Marthandam based on the advice from locals. Didn't have much delay except in few places, that too only about 5-10 minutes. Traffic is restricted to one way in few places and luckily it was allowed towards Trivandrum side.
vinucv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks