Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th September 2016, 11:36   #151
BHPian

Default re: Chennai - Trivandrum : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Trichy - Viralimalai - Melur - Madurai is the direct route. Any specific reason to go via Dindugul?
Yes, I was told to take this, in order to avoid the madurai bypass, which seems not in a good condition and for the better roads in trichy-dindigul-madurai section. As per gmaps this deviation adds only about ~25 KM/15 minutes extra to the route mentioned by you.

Last edited by Makin Rulesz : 9th September 2016 at 11:37.
Makin Rulesz is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 12:12   #152
BHPian

Default re: Chennai - Trivandrum : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
I got the confirmation that chennai-trichy-dindigul-madurai-nagercoil-trivandrum is the best route to take.
Also helpful would be the duration it takes to cover it on a saturday morning 5am start from chennai.
Below was my timing with the Viralimalai route:

Chengalpattu Bypass - 2140 hrs
Ulundurupet toll - 2335 hrs (broke for 10 min and started again)
Trichy bypass (Dindigul exit/TVS Tollgate) - 0100 hrs
Madurai (Othakadai) BP Ghar - 0250 hrs (broke here for tea for 20 min)
Madurai bypass (Kappalur end) - 0330 hrs
NH7 4-lane ends - 0615 hrs

Starting at 0500 hrs you should make up good ground, possibly expect reaching Ulundupet A2B around 0730 hrs.

Time wise there is no difference between the Dindigul route and Viralimalai route, both took 2:15 hrs from Kappalur to TVS tollgate and as of 2012 it saved about 60 INR in toll.

Am not able to predict the Trichy traffic at 0930-1000 ish, if it has traffic expect 40 min to catch the 4-lane on the other end (in off timings like 1530 hrs in afternoon, it took 20 min). That said the 2-lane Madurai bypass shouldn't be that bad around noon-ish (took me 30 min to cross at 1400 hrs once), its definitely not recommended post sundown (unless it is complete off timings like mine above). Post-sundown the 26 km stretch takes above 1 hr to negotiate.

This was sometime back, am not sure of present bypass condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Trichy - Viralimalai - Melur - Madurai is the direct route. Any specific reason to go via Dindugul?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Yes, I was told to take this, in order to avoid the madurai bypass, which seems not in a good condition and for the better roads in trichy-dindigul-madurai section. As per gmaps this deviation adds only about ~25 KM/15 minutes extra to the route mentioned by you.
The Viralimalai route (NH-45B) is actually shorter by about 15-20 km actually. The problem has been the 2-lane bypass condition+traffic. If you target to cross the bypass sundown or later, Dindigul route is definitely recommended even with the additional distance.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote