Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:15   #571
Senior - BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
My friends are coming to USA by Korean Air in couple of weeks. They are worried about the ongoing war like status between North and South Korea. The stop at Seoul is 2 hours. Should we be worried about the current war like scenario between the countries?
First of all, if war does break out:

- All flights to Seoul from other locations that have not yet taken off will be cancelled. Similarly, all flights from Seoul to other locations will be cancelled too. The military and the ATC do not want civilian planes stepping on their feet during conflict time.
- All flights to Seoul from other locations that are airborne will likely be diverted to airports outside the conflict zone. Since N. Korea usually involves Japan too in its rhetoric, these are likely to be in China, Philippines etc. I haven't experienced this myself, but my friends who have - in Europe, and due to weather - tell me that it is not very pleasant to be in a country to which you have no visa/entry permit.

So if war does break out, your pals are going to get affected. The question is, how likely is it to break out? I have my own personal view which says war is not very likely, but then again I am not a foreign affairs analyst.
Old 3rd April 2013, 23:25   #572
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone flown into Don Mueang, Bangkok airport? Air Asia now flys into Don Mueang only.
Old 1st May 2013, 19:41   #573
Team-BHP Support

On Emirates, the baggage allowance is 30Kgs for Europe. However, the website doesn't mention the number of pieces. Are two pieces of check-in luggage of 15Kg each allowed?
Old 1st May 2013, 21:54   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
On Emirates, the baggage allowance is 30Kgs for Europe. However, the website doesn't mention the number of pieces. Are two pieces of check-in luggage of 15Kg each allowed?
AFAIK for Europe it's just a flat 30KG limit with no limit on the number of bags. But strictly 1 hand bag with the maximum weight.

I had a bad experience in London because of emirates. Was just 2kg past the limit and they created such a fuss.
Old 2nd May 2013, 08:19   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Has anyone flown into Don Mueang, Bangkok airport? Air Asia now flys into Don Mueang only.
I have, in 2005. Back then it was the only airport in Bangkok. There is an elevated tollway that links the airport to the city. You can spot the incomplete 'monoliths' of the proposed and then cancelled BERTS system.
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:54   #576
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I'd posted about this some months (more than a year?) back but my elderly parents hadn't made plans to travel to the US till now.
Curious to know how the trip worked out. I'll be traveling Delta again soon.
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:07   #577
Senior - BHPian

I want to know about carrying crutches (metal) for an international trip. Do the crutches go along with baby strollers etc.? If so how does the passenger reach his seat from the plane door?

or are the crutches checked in at the counter and then the passenger taken by wheelchair? If so, how is this handled in case of stopovers? The stopover is at Dubai and the connection is around 2 hours difference. Also, what happens in case the crutches are damaged/ rendered unusable in transit?

I presume for metal inserts in limbs, it should be sufficient to carry the x ray and medical report?

Thanks!

Last edited by selfdrive : 2nd May 2013 at 12:09.
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:37   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Curious to know how the trip worked out. I'll be traveling Delta again soon.
They were supposed to travel on the 22nd but sadly dad isn't keeping too well. Doctors have advised to cancel the trip. Thanks for checking.
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:45   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I want to know about carrying crutches (metal) for an international trip. Do the crutches go along with baby strollers etc.? If so how does the passenger reach his seat from the plane door?

or are the crutches checked in at the counter and then the passenger taken by wheelchair? If so, how is this handled in case of stopovers? The stopover is at Dubai and the connection is around 2 hours difference. Also, what happens in case the crutches are damaged/ rendered unusable in transit?

I presume for metal inserts in limbs, it should be sufficient to carry the x ray and medical report?

Thanks!
You shall have the crutches with you at all times - they are allowed above and beyond any hand baggage items in all airlines and should not be checked in.
You have to call the airline in advance and book a (free) wheelchair. From the airport gate, you get the wheelchair and just hold on to the crutches. They go through x ray like any other hand baggage (and are in addition to any hand baggage you might have), and you always keep them in your possession. After you board the aircraft (hopefully through a jetway/aerobridge) on the wheel chair, you can request the flight attendants to place the crutches on a nearby cabin baggage area for easy & quick access.
Also please carry medical/xray report on you (do not put them in checked bags) for metal limb inserts.
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:47   #580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
They were supposed to travel on the 22nd but sadly dad isn't keeping too well. Doctors have advised to cancel the trip. Thanks for checking.
Sorry to know, hope he recovers soon.
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:48   #581

Quote:

Thanks!
Hi,

Most airlines will allow you to carry your crutches on board once they've been screened, however, considering the size of airports, lengths of queues and ever changing potential of boarding gates, it would probably be wiser and more convenient to seek assistance from the airline. While you can also seek assistance at the airport, most Airlines will offer the option during the reservation process, though if not, you can call the reservation desk and inform them of your special needs. Going through the airline will ensure you are taken care of throughout your trip including embarking and disembarking, luggage assistance and transitory stops..

Regarding the risk of checking on the crutches and them being damaged, I suppose that's the responsibility of the individual to ensure they are well packed. As is the policy of most airline I suppose they wouldn't shoulder the responsibility for checked in material though, in my opinion, crutches should handle the trip just fine.

Alternately, you could opt for airline assistance but also carry your crutches with you on board (if the airline permits) so that you are not entirely dependent during the flight (you might need to use the restroom if it's a long flight).

For surgical implants, the xray and related medical reports should do the job.

Wishing you safe travels.. Godspeed

Vj
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:51   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks!
I have flown internationally with a metal implant. X-Ray is not generally asked for, but a medical certificate is. It is better if you carry the Discharge Summary from the hospital where the surgery took place - this document is highly respected.

As far as crutches are concerned - I once asked for assistance and once I did not.
When I asked for assistance, I spoke to an airline staff when I got into the airport (even before I got to the check-in counter) and everything was taken care of smoothly. I carried my crutches with me all the time, and they went through the X-Ray machine. Once in the aircraft, the attendant stowed it separately from other cabin baggage.
When I did not ask for assistance, the security staff told me that the crutches must be X-rayed - if I could walk 2 steps without crutches through the metal detector then I should otherwise just stay put, we will X-ray the crutches first and then frisk you separately.

Hope this helps.
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:41   #583
BHPian

Hi All

Me and My family planning to travel to Brisbane by June end .This is via Singapore and by Singapore airlines

Flight will be from Kochi-Singapore(Silk Air) and Singapore-Brisbane(By Singapore Airlines).

How about the Singapore/Silk airlines and their attitudes. Also I need to change Terminals at Singapore and will have a transit time of 2.4 hrs.Will it take time?

Do I need to take care anything specific?

Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 17:11   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post
Hi All

Me and My family planning to travel to Brisbane by June end .This is via Singapore and by Singapore airlines

Flight will be from Kochi-Singapore(Silk Air) and Singapore-Brisbane(By Singapore Airlines).

How about the Singapore/Silk airlines and their attitudes. Also I need to change Terminals at Singapore and will have a transit time of 2.4 hrs.Will it take time?

Do I need to take care anything specific?

Thanks
2.4 hrs is more than sufficient. It wont take more than 15mins to change the terminals. There are automated monorails to transit between the terminals.
Old 3rd May 2013, 02:18   #585
Senior - BHPian

My in laws are traveling from Bangalore to US via Frankfurt. Their flights are both operated by Lufthansa. Guys who flew there recently, does the transit involve a terminal change or are all Lufthansa flights in the same terminal? Can anyone comment? It is their first time flying (and they are flying alone) and we are going to do a lot of prep work. I wanted to ensure that they are aware of as much of the transit airport details as possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks