Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 15:24   #1
BHPian
 
ExtremeTorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 379
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Route condition - Hyderabad to Jog falls

Folks, i am doing (by car, ofcourse ) a Hyderabad to Jog falls tour this weekend and plan to take the Hyderabad-Raichur-Hospet-Kumarapatnam-Siralkoppa-Kargal route (this is what Google maps shows as the best route). Your inputs about the road condition and any alternate route will help.

Mods: I couldnt find another thread on this. If there is one indeed, please feel free to merge.

Last edited by ExtremeTorque : 28th June 2010 at 15:25.
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 16:31   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,111
Thanked: 3,462 Times
Default

You may encounter heavy traffic at hospet (mine trucks). Please avoid night driving at this stretch.

Betw: Which car you would be driving.?
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 16:52   #3
BHPian
 
ExtremeTorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 379
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
You may encounter heavy traffic at hospet (mine trucks). Please avoid night driving at this stretch.

Betw: Which car you would be driving.?
Thanks SILVERWOOD. I have a Hyundai Accent - GLE. My plan is to start at Hyd-bad in the afternoon 3pm and halt at Hospet for the night. Last time i did the Gooty-bellary streach (on the way to Kemmannugundi from Hyderabad) and, phew, it was a nightmare with all the mining trucks and almost non existant road. Any other route you suggest?

Last edited by ExtremeTorque : 28th June 2010 at 16:55.
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 19:45   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 887
Thanked: 281 Times
Default

From Hospet you can take this route Hospet-Harpanahalli-Harihar-Honnali-Shimoga-Jog falls would be better.My suggestion would be if you start early morning you can reach Shimoga in the night and stay there and morning run to Jog would be better.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 19:50   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,264
Thanked: 1,233 Times
Default

I agree with gajadonga.
Last year we had a nightmare on the road between Hospet and Chitradurga---it was really bad for 30 kms after Hospet and also terrible near Shimoga for the last 10 kms.

The Harpanahalli-Harihar route ought to be better.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 19:59   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,585
Thanked: 8,553 Times
Default

In fact there is one more option. You can take Nh63 from Hospet, go to Hubli and then take route via Mundgod/Malgi to reach Jog.

Distances almost the same (30-40 Km difference). That also gives you an option to break your journey if you need one at Hubli. PLUS you can also enjoy the drive through Malgi.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 21:56   #7
BHPian
 
ExtremeTorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 379
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
From Hospet you can take this route Hospet-Harpanahalli-Harihar-Honnali-Shimoga-Jog falls would be better.My suggestion would be if you start early morning you can reach Shimoga in the night and stay there and morning run to Jog would be better.
Thanks! This was my original plan, minus Shimoga. But cannot leave hyd-bad before 3pm due to office constraints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I agree with gajadonga.
Last year we had a nightmare on the road between Hospet and Chitradurga---it was really bad for 30 kms after Hospet and also terrible near Shimoga for the last 10 kms.

The Harpanahalli-Harihar route ought to be better.
Yeah with you on the hospet-chitradurga route. As ampere indicated, Hubli-mundgod-Jog sounds interesting and i plan to take that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In fact there is one more option. You can take Nh63 from Hospet, go to Hubli and then take route via Mundgod/Malgi to reach Jog.

Distances almost the same (30-40 Km difference). That also gives you an option to break your journey if you need one at Hubli. PLUS you can also enjoy the drive through Malgi.
ampere, thanks a ton! I intend to break the journey at around 10PM. If I can reach Hubli by that time, i will halt there, else Hospet. BTW, had to google for Mundgod and realized it is like another kushalnagar.
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 21:56   #8
BHPian
 
Bigzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 350
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

A quick question - how will Hyderabad - Gulbarga - Bijapur - Hubli compare as far as condition of roads go? from google maps I see that the additional distance is just 50 km or so. I have heard that the roads are good upto Bijapur, but I have no idea about the Bijapur-Hubli stretch.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 22:24   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,585
Thanked: 8,553 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
ampere, thanks a ton! I intend to break the journey at around 10PM. If I can reach Hubli by that time, i will halt there, else Hospet. BTW, had to google for Mundgod and realized it is like another kushalnagar.
Please check the status of NH63 between Hospet and Hubli. Not sure of the current conditions.
The Hubli-Sirsi stretch has been frequented by folks on this forum. They should be able to help you out.
The road is good on this stretch, but I am not sure of food and toilet conditions.

HVK sir any updates on this?


Also not sure how is this road holding with monsoon? My guess is it should hold fine because this falls on the leeward side of the western ghats.
But still need to confirm the road status.

But yes, its an extremely scenic drive.


Bigzero, I also thought about that option that you mention, but I found that its adds on to extra distance.
Hence discarded that thought. Maybe others can comment.

Last edited by ampere : 28th June 2010 at 22:29.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 23:15   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,610
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
but I have no idea about the Bijapur-Hubli stretch.
Hubli-Bijapur is a SH and tends to break up during the monsoons in case the rains are heavy,but as compared to the Hospet route,this definitely would be a better option,no recent updates avlbl though
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 08:47   #11
BHPian
 
ExtremeTorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 379
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
A quick question - how will Hyderabad - Gulbarga - Bijapur - Hubli compare as far as condition of roads go? from google maps I see that the additional distance is just 50 km or so. I have heard that the roads are good upto Bijapur, but I have no idea about the Bijapur-Hubli stretch.
Bigzero, i did consider this one as it passes through the NH's, but the additional distance is coming to 80-90 KM. Greedy me , i always want to find the shortest but best route. But will keep this route in mind and probably take it based on the inputs from other members.
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 09:20   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,111
Thanked: 3,462 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Bigzero, i did consider this one as it passes through the NH's, but the additional distance is coming to 80-90 KM. Greedy me , i always want to find the shortest but best route. But will keep this route in mind and probably take it based on the inputs from other members.
Hyderabad-Raichur-Sindhnoor-Gadag-Hubli would be a safe bet.

The stretch between Gadad to Hubli is of concern.

Betw; I will be leaving on 2nd july for Dandeli and Goa,will be taking the same route till Hubli.Let me also know if you need any help with your accomodation in Hubli.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 29th June 2010 at 09:21. Reason: comments.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 10:18   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 887
Thanked: 281 Times
Default

Gadag to Hubli should not be a problem.But heavy lorry traffic especially in the night.About 30kms near to Hubli from Gadag there is a railway gate I lost close to 1 hour as lorries keep piling themselves on either side as the railway gate allows one vehicle at a time.
When I was travelling last time it was around 12.30am and a train had just crossed the gate probably that is one reason I had to waste 1 hour at the railway gate.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 14:09   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Yes, I agree with gajadonga, the Hospet-Gadag-Hubli road is OK. From Hubli, I would suggest the route via Sirsi and Siddapura instead of the funny illogical route suggested by Google Maps. Alternatively, from Hospet you could go directly to Harihar (as has been suggested already) and Shimoga (or turn off at Honnali), but be cautioned that the road from Harihar is bad.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 14:31   #15
BHPian
 
ExtremeTorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 379
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Hyderabad-Raichur-Sindhnoor-Gadag-Hubli would be a safe bet.

The stretch between Gadad to Hubli is of concern.

Betw; I will be leaving on 2nd july for Dandeli and Goa,will be taking the same route till Hubli.Let me also know if you need any help with your accomodation in Hubli.
Thanks again, SILVERWOOD (Thats why i love this forum). But i plan to halt at Hospet as i am travelling with family and trying to avoid driving beyond 9-10PM. Any pointers for accomodation at Hospet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Gadag to Hubli should not be a problem.But heavy lorry traffic especially in the night.About 30kms near to Hubli from Gadag there is a railway gate I lost close to 1 hour as lorries keep piling themselves on either side as the railway gate allows one vehicle at a time.
When I was travelling last time it was around 12.30am and a train had just crossed the gate probably that is one reason I had to waste 1 hour at the railway gate.
gajadonga, i will take this route as i will be doing this early in the morning after halt @ hospet. I will keep an eye for those lorries and drive steady. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, I agree with gajadonga, the Hospet-Gadag-Hubli road is OK. From Hubli, I would suggest the route via Sirsi and Siddapura instead of the funny illogical route suggested by Google Maps. Alternatively, from Hospet you could go directly to Harihar (as has been suggested already) and Shimoga (or turn off at Honnali), but be cautioned that the road from Harihar is bad.
When the legend suggests a route, we are bound to take that road, arent we? Thank you HVK! Hyderabad-Jadcherls-Mahbubnagar-Raichur-Hospet-Hubli-Sirsi-Siddapur-Jog falls is the final route i have closed in on. From Jog, i plan to do Agumbe ghats and return to Hyderabad via shimoga-bhadravati-chitradurga-hospet-raichur-hyderabad (to avoid the Harihar route) or do you have a better suggestion?
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences sethu.murali Route / Travel Queries 39 14th October 2017 12:55
Bangalore-Shimogga-Jog Falls-Goa-Mangalore-Bangalore Route ravi_hsrlayout Route / Travel Queries 61 5th December 2015 10:37
My Hyderabad-Bangalore-Coorg-Dharmashtala-Udipi-Gokarna-Jog Falls trip in Sx4 dilsoft Travelogues 15 13th September 2014 12:24
Mumbai-Jog falls-Mangalore-Mumbai magiceye Route / Travel Queries 38 20th May 2010 08:15
Bangalore-Jog Falls- Murdeshwar-Goa - Route Advice mdmahesh Route / Travel Queries 0 12th December 2009 11:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks