Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2014, 23:26   #46
BHPian

Re: Share your Phobia: Everyone has one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Haha, I had faced a similar predicament. A centipede entered the room where I was staying as a bachelor and disappeared somewhere in the innumerable things scattered around the room. I almost turned the room upside down but couldn't find it. I was hardly able to sleep for the next few days
Something even worse happened with me. I sleep on the floor on a mattress and once right in middle of night (I am a sound sleeper) i felt something on my face and my instant reaction without even realizing what it was, was to throw it away. I did that and thought may be some mattress cover or something might have swirled around my face (due to fan) but I wasn't convinced. I turned on tube light (it was 4 AM). Found nothing and the next instant on the corner i saw a centipede crawling. I got super scared. Got a broom and killed it then and there before it disappeared and started sleeping on the bed. Still scared.
Old 26th July 2014, 00:56   #47
BHPian

Aaah. what a topic. Well I am extremely scared of cockroaches. One cockroach in my room and I bolt from the room. I spray the insecticide again and again through out my home, but these creatures always find a way to disturb me.
Then it is curds. even the smell puts me off, it nauseates me. A drop of curd on my hand and I run to wash my hand. a drop in my plate, the lunch is gone for a toss that day.
Heights, Lizards, rats, lifts, dark enclosures etc are all ok with me.
Old 26th July 2014, 16:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Aaah. what a topic. Well I am extremely scared of cockroaches. One cockroach in my room and I bolt from the room. I spray the insecticide again and again through out my home, but these creatures always find a way to disturb me.
Yes,very true that many are scared of this creatures.

Cockroaches!!! i feel one of creepy crawly things in this planet and they pefer humid and damp conditions so can be seen in bathrooms,kitchen etc.

They also leave behind little brown flecks stuck to the wall and lay eggs everywhere which irritates me and they scurrying in the dark or hidden crevices tends to frighten people as people fear the unknown.
Old 26th July 2014, 20:12   #49
BHPian

I'm scared of birds. I see a bird closely and cannot eat for days. Not sure if there is a name for this phobia.
Old 26th July 2014, 20:49   #50
BHPian

Snakes, heights, claustrophobia that lasts for a few mins when in a bus or flight and identity theft, hacking of accounts and someone impersonating myself online.

Might be due to the bad experiences Ive had in the past with all mentioned above.
Old 27th July 2014, 11:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Something even worse happened with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Haha, I had faced a similar predicament. A centipede entered the room where I was staying as a bachelor and disappeared somewhere in the innumerable things scattered around the room. I almost turned the room upside down but couldn't find it. I was hardly able to sleep for the next few days
Bro, that is scary! Once on a trip to a remote area for a family friend's wedding, all the family friends (guys) were in single room and something bit my dad's hand. He woke up with a scream and had us all worried as within minutes his hand had swollen to almost 150%!

On searching the entire room, one of the guys found a centipede under a pillow. Dayum it was big and my dad was in severe pain but no medical facilities were available nearby! The villagers said it is nothing, we experience these bites every other day. Chill!

We did not sleep the whole night, because when we went out to scout for medical services we also saw a snake and a scorpion. We attended the wedding the next morning and left directly to our respective homes in the wedding attires itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Aaah. what a topic. Well I am extremely scared of cockroaches.
Then it is curds.
Flying ones scare the living soul out of me, but i face it and kill it. That's the only thing that gets my nerves cooler!

But - Curd! Why?
Old 27th July 2014, 11:10   #52
BHPian

I once saw a scorpion at our family cottage in sattal (near Nainital). Scared the hell out of me. Still can't the image of its dark color & huge tail out of my mind. Since then I've seen many unusual insects & creatures but nothing comes close to that scorpion.
Old 27th July 2014, 23:08   #53
BHPian

I guess I suffer from symptoms realted to Trypophobia, though it ain't an officially recognized phobia. Only recently I thought to check up on the itchy feeling I'd get sometimes, like when there are irregular cracks on smooth walls, floors etc.
Old 28th July 2014, 01:06   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
But - Curd! Why?
Well it is more of an aversion and I do not fear it . But for reasons unknown the smell nauseates me extremely and I cannot ever bring myself to taste it. So NO curds in my home.
Old 28th July 2014, 07:46   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
I guess I suffer from symptoms realted to Trypophobia, though it ain't an officially recognized phobia. Only recently I thought to check up on the itchy feeling I'd get sometimes, like when there are irregular cracks on smooth walls, floors etc.
Buddy get it checked and treat early. Hope u get well soon and sincerely hope that it's not this.

Ps: Fellow members please do not Google Trypophobia. It's not for the faint hearted.
Old 28th July 2014, 08:49   #56
BHPian

I have Katsaridaphobia. Fear of cockroaches. Even typing it's name gives me shivers. When they fly, they scare the sh** out of me. Many years ago, I came across many flying roaches during a hot summer night at my home (am not living there anymore by the way). I left home, spent the entire night in a well lit railway station and came back by morning. Another time I saw a roach in my shirt which was put for drying. I never wore that shirt again. Threw it away.

If I see a roach at my home, I won't sleep until it goes to hell. I owe my life to my Mom, Sister, Wife and friends, who lost their sleep innumerable times, to personally take care of seeing the roach goes to hell.

I don't feel sorry for killing any pests. Useless creatures. Must have been created when God was in a terrible mood.

By the way, someone should put a poll. Will be interesting to see what scares the hell out of BHPians.
Old 28th July 2014, 14:00   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
I have Katsaridaphobia.
By the way, someone should put a poll. Will be interesting to see what scares the hell out of BHPians.
Many are scared of roaches, buddy, but a poll for phobia will not be possible. Every person is unique and has his/her own unique phobia. Yes, probably all may click on roaches, but what about the categories we will be missing. For eg. @ashkamath has a thing with Curd!

Be unique, be scared. It's human to be so!
Old 28th July 2014, 16:36   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
!
No fear of pigeons, I just despise them, they are filthy (where they nest especially) and their groaning sound annoys me a lot.
I fully understand your views here. I have lived for one year with these guttural sounds coming day and night. The way they create litter is very very annoying.

The pigeon feeders are most probably the grocery shop owners on the ground floor of the buildings. they don't even live there and we are the one's who bear the brunt of there charity.

Cheers,
AB
Old 28th July 2014, 16:48   #59
BHPian

I do not really know whether this a phobia or not. Will let other decide.

My job entails traveling by flight almost 6-8 times a month. I was quite a frequent flier and flying did not really bother me.

On 4th of March this year, I had a harrowing experience while Landing in New Delhi. Since I fly so much, I am well aware of the turbulence caused by bad weather. But this one was different. The weather was really bad & our plane (B737-400) was trying to land at Delhi Airport. While descending the plane's nose moved right to an angle suddenly. Then there was two big drops in altitude followed by it. Then the plane started shaking. I could make out that the plane was getting off-course again and again. To be very frank I thought I will die that day. The first time I was staring at Death. I remembered my wife & family and clenched onto the seat ahead of me. We were over the runway, when a strong gust of wind dislocated the plane from the landing path & the plane went into TOGA. Steep climbing & we were out somewhere in the sky again. The pilot announced that Delhi airport has been shut down for sometime due to bad weather. 30 mins of hovering around and the pilot made another attempt. Lots of turbulence but the pilot landed somehow.

After this episode I had to catch a flight the next week. I started sweating as the aircraft started rolling for takeoff. Quite mild turbulence while landing but I was very scare. Post this I was always scared of the flying, but really couldn't help it because of my job.

Currently I am not actually scared but a little nervous while Takeoffs & Landings. Music helps & the fear is decreasing. May be facing it and flying at least 20 times after that helped.

So, I had developed the fear of flying but it is now gradually decreasing.

Regards.
Old 28th July 2014, 20:00   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
I do not really know whether this a phobia or not. Will let other decide.
Buddy, what you faced was scary and am sure that was the same condition of every passenger in your flight!

What you are experiencing is a temporary phobia. Like it's said, to overcome the fear of facing something, face it. Fortunately your job demanded you to face it and slowly but steadily you will overcome it. Cheers bro

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks