Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2009, 08:31   #1
BHPian
 
inder_s1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Bangalore Traffic Fine Scam??

Hi BHPians,

Recently I received a memo stating that I had jumped traffic signal at Kodigehalli Cross @ 1920 hrs on Aug 25.

I have not even been to Kodigehalli cross or nearby area for a long time (not to BIAL too) and I was shocked to see the notice. I did complain about this on their website but no reply has been received for past 1.5 weeks.

Moreover, while logging to their website it showed me the time as 12AM for Jumping traffic signal.

I stay at Basaveshwaranagar and rarely go to that area. Do you think this is a new scam?
inder_s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 09:34   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,465
Thanked: 692 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
Hi BHPians,

Recently I received a memo stating that I had jumped traffic signal at Kodigehalli Cross @ 1920 hrs on Aug 25.

I have not even been to Kodigehalli cross or nearby area for a long time (not to BIAL too) and I was shocked to see the notice. I did complain about this on their website but no reply has been received for past 1.5 weeks.

Moreover, while logging to their website it showed me the time as 12AM for Jumping traffic signal.

I stay at Basaveshwaranagar and rarely go to that area. Do you think this is a new scam?
Since they note down the number manually (no photographs and such), they might have done a mistake while doing so.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 10:53   #3
BHPian
 
inder_s1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Since they note down the number manually (no photographs and such), they might have done a mistake while doing so.
I thought the same till I received a second notice . I assure you I have totally racked my brains to check if I was there or not and it is negative. This time for Vittal Nagraj road.

I was wondering if this is a new way to make money from them.

Indy
inder_s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 11:22   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 122
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
I thought the same till I received a second notice . I assure you I have totally racked my brains to check if I was there or not and it is negative. This time for Vittal Nagraj road.

I was wondering if this is a new way to make money from them.

Indy
Dont think this is a scam.

Now a days, there are cameras installed in all major junctions. You can go to the police station and ask for the proof for jumping the signal. Its only when they have video evidence, they send the notice. If they have written the number manually, they wont send any notice.

Since you have got it second time, its better you get in touch with police and get it clarified. Hope no one else is driving with you number.
_abhishek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 11:26   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,552
Thanked: 6,310 Times
Default

Maybe someone is running their car with your number plates.

Cheap lowlifes do that.

Last edited by bblost : 17th October 2009 at 12:38.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 12:30   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
I thought the same till I received a second notice . I assure you I have totally racked my brains to check if I was there or not and it is negative. This time for Vittal Nagraj road.

I was wondering if this is a new way to make money from them.

Indy
Go to their office, wherever it is and ask them to show proof. If it is indeed your vehicle, you pay up. Else, ask them to go after the real culprit.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 12:37   #7
BHPian
 
kannan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA-02
Posts: 934
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

A similar incident happened to me too ! Got a notice for my Omni for jumping the signal from a place where I had never even been to in that entire month ! However, decided to pay the fine online (Rs.100/-) instead of wasting more time, money and efforts in trying to justify the wrong notice issued. As a fellow bhpian mentioned, it is quite possible that while recording the violation, a typographical (read writing) error could have occured.
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 12:44   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 879 Times
Default

If you haven't done already, try sending e-mails to the ones listed on - Bangalore City Traffic Police

I think the traffic control centre at the 1st floor Ashoknagar PS close to Garuda Mall is responsible for the fines based on the camera system, you might go and have a word there. They also keep proof of the captured offence.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 13:59   #9
BHPian
 
inder_s1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Thanks all for your replies.

I will go and check with them.

Paying fine is not the issue, I was just concerned as some of you mentioned:

1. Some maniac running around with same plates

2. Error from Police in printing/writing the Car #

3. Since SC has directed police to not to stop vehicles at the roadside unless a person has commit offense/ break rules .. may a new pattern will emerge of making money.


Will check with them and update. Thanks again.

Indy
inder_s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 14:04   #10
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
3. Since SC has directed police to not to stop vehicles at the roadside unless a person has commit offense/ break rules .. may a new pattern will emerge of making money.




Indy
Slightly off topic. but can you tell more on this?
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 14:07   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 260
Thanked: 50 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
Thanks all for your replies.

I will go and check with them.

Paying fine is not the issue, I was just concerned as some of you mentioned:

1. Some maniac running around with same plates

2. Error from Police in printing/writing the Car #

3. Since SC has directed police to not to stop vehicles at the roadside unless a person has commit offense/ break rules .. may a new pattern will emerge of making money.


Will check with them and update. Thanks again.

Indy
Also check, the car model and color. I guess they will have this info as well. If the number and model and color doesnt match with your car details, then something is wrong.
Selective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 14:40   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,366
Thanked: 457 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
Slightly off topic. but can you tell more on this?
I think its only in Bangalore. Not other cities. But yes, police cannot stop you to check papers etc. anymore. They can only stop you if you are committing an offence like speeding, rash driving, no number plate etc.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 14:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,564
Thanked: 10,477 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
...memo stating that I had jumped traffic signal...@ 1920 hrs on Aug 25.
...their website it showed me the time as 12AM for Jumping traffic signal.
Discrepancy between the times as shown on the challan and on the website for the same offence? Take a printout and you have a reason to argue your case. Also, by Supreme Court directives (IIRC), all challans are to have details of the motor vehicles (car make, model and colour) noted when issuing the notice. In Delhi, it appears as a code (such as M-3, C-2) at the bottom right corner of the challan. You are within your rights to enquire what make, model and colour of vehicle the notice was issued against, if such a code is not understandable by you.

If the details don't match, your notice is cancelled.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 09:33   #14
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

yeah this has happened with me twice before - one notice was for 2 years back for wrong parking in indra nagar and at that time of the year I was in US for 2 weeks, 2nd time notice was for jumping some signal in a place where I had never been to or heard of. I went and paid the fine (150rs) both times as I wasn't sure how much time I will waste if I started to challenge their decision.
Mostly an error while noting number. However I do not agree on the model, make and color matching stuff anymore, because anyone can just get that info online or sms and so can cops. They have it in their system, so they just note the number I guess and rest of the details come from their system - I saw this recently at HAL police station as I had gone there for a parking violation fine I got on wind tunnel road.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 09:54   #15
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 865
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

I also got one such notice for taking a turn where it is not allowed but frankly don't remember having done that. Moreover the notice comes for a violation supposedly done 6 months in the past. This could be new scheme to meet their targets.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scam alert: Cops overstating penalty. Verify traffic fines before actually paying them! akshladha Street Experiences 26 30th May 2015 08:44
List of Traffic offences and applicable fine. Fines set to increase 10-fold moralfibre Street Experiences 78 15th September 2014 17:10
Traffic dept cannot fine motorists without PUC papers!! MX6 Street Experiences 21 5th November 2011 02:33
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks