Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 12:16   #91
BHPian

re: Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Not being sentimental, but the car was dragged to the side and then they could have waited for a crane or something.
I ma saying this, because of the car being dragged, the impact might have an effect on the road. Also, the friction would cause more heating, resulting in sparks/smoke from the car again. I did see myself how it was dragged, it did hurt sentiments as it was dragged at some speed.

After taking the car at a side, waiting for a crane should have not been an issue other than the attention it was getting by the public.
Since you were on the site, tell me, would people not have slowed down to a crawl, just to see the burn't vehicle - weren't people already crowding around the vehicle and creating galatta with their phone cameras. If vehicles start slowing down at the exit, how long does it take to create a jam in that area.

Is there extra space in that area - IIRC all the way to the U turn, there isn't space to park the car.

Where is the question of sentiment in this situation - its a traffic hazard, move it out. The sentiments of people who have paid toll, and stuck behind, and the lives of all those people who will jaywalk to take photos is more important.
manolin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 12:44   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Since you were on the site, tell me, would people not have slowed down to a crawl, just to see the burn't vehicle - weren't people already crowding around the vehicle and creating galatta with their phone cameras. If vehicles start slowing down at the exit, how long does it take to create a jam in that area.

Is there extra space in that area - IIRC all the way to the U turn, there isn't space to park the car.

Where is the question of sentiment in this situation - its a traffic hazard, move it out. The sentiments of people who have paid toll, and stuck behind, and the lives of all those people who will jaywalk to take photos is more important.
As a car lover, it does hurt me to see a car, a thing I love, be it mine or anyone else's, in such a situation. I am referring to the burning as well as the DRAGGING.

Agree that it is a traffic hazard and hence in my previous post I mentioned that they should have kept it at a side and waited.
The road is not as narrow and if the car was kept at the extreme left, there were almost 2 lanes for the traffic to pass. As it is, the car was momentarily kept at that spot till they put some rod below it and then dragged it.

Totally agree with you that more than the car being at that place, it would be the people crawling in their vehicles with the cameras were creating more of a problem. But, saying this, the traffic police were doing a good job to move people out of the way and avoid crowding. The people, on foot were mostly on the huge promenade on the seaface, not causing much of a problem to the traffic. The SCC organizers and the traffic police guys did help a lot to ease out the situation. The traffic that day was going to be very dense due to the rally itself and hence, till the time the fire was extinguished, the whole sea-link had jammed up.

If you can make out, there are two lanes available even if the car was parked at the extreme left. Other cars were already parked in that parking lane as well.

Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9-270120132888.jpg

The main reason, I feel it should have not been dragged is that it might affect the road, the friction might damage whatever remaining in the car and might make difficult all the more to diagnose the cause of fire. Moreover, as you can see, the remains of the car and the oils were falling all over the road and that was making a good paved road dirty all the way.
carzone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 14:45   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The owner has apparently denied any modifications/alterations to the car and have sought explanation from Audi, Germany.

Source:
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ow...ation/1065941/
In the same article there is mention of a burnt Alto Taxi. Looks like its the age of real life Hot Wheels

Poor owner, going to his home when the car burnt. We will never know the real reason but if this event is a big one then better to cordon off the route the cars will take, this will ensure smooth drive for the car owners and save the organizers name as well.

Last edited by motomaverick : 29th January 2013 at 14:46.
Old 29th January 2013, 15:26   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Poor owner, going to his home when the car burnt. We will never know the real reason but if this event is a big one then better to cordon off the route the cars will take, this will ensure smooth drive for the car owners and save the organizers name as well.
The owner just hopped accross the divider to his residence and if his family was at their window could also watch the car going up in flames.

Being a large city and a minor group (SCC) of enthusiasts or owners whatever suits, it is not possible to get permissions to shut the roads for the few hours the cars would be parading.

The Organisers names or the Participants names are very safe as this perticular R8 was not a part of SCC. If someone decides to bring a supercar or any other and drive along side, he cannot be stopped or his misfortune cannot be blamed on the Club.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 17:51   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Not being sentimental, but the car was dragged to the side and then they could have waited for a crane or something.
I ma saying this, because of the car being dragged, the impact might have an effect on the road. Also, the friction would cause more heating, resulting in sparks/smoke from the car again. I did see myself how it was dragged, it did hurt sentiments as it was dragged at some speed.

After taking the car at a side, waiting for a crane should have not been an issue other than the attention it was getting by the public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Arranging for a crane and holding up traffic at that place to do it clearly just not on the cards. If its burn't, its burn't. Police can't afford to be sentimental.
You are absolutely right in saying that the cops could not be emotional. Very true since these guys would unfortunately not even know the true worth and the capabilities of a R8.

@Carzone - Just look at the image below on the amount of oil and metal that the dragged R8 left on the road. In fact post the car being moved away, the other super cars (especially the orange lambo which was one of the 1st one's back on the road) had to drive very close to the divider to avoid the debris.

Am sure that the cops could have handled the situation in a much better manner.
Attached Thumbnails
Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9-dsc00132.jpg  

Old 29th January 2013, 19:38   #96
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
That road drag pic looks uncivilized and hazardous. What else can you expect in a Third World Country?

There is no concept of evidence or forensics - just rumors or blame games!

Last edited by aerohit : 29th January 2013 at 19:39.
Old 29th January 2013, 20:10   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I'm sorry boss, I was just a slight bit behind in the jam and I think it was handled excellently. The fire truck was there within 10 mins, and the towtruck soon after. The sealink is one of the busiest roads in Mumbai, and with 1 of 2 exit lanes blocked, did you expect them to do a full CSI investigation then and there?

They moved the car to the side quickly while the firemen were cleaning up the debris and oil from the road. In that much of time the owners were at the Police station, and the car was taken there soon after.

I'm not sure what you expected, but according to me they certainly did a marvelous job of handling the situation considering the crowds and traffic present.
Akshay1234 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 21:12   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
That road drag pic looks uncivilized and hazardous. What else can you expect in a Third World Country?

There is no concept of evidence or forensics - just rumors or blame games!
Avoid making such statements dude. Do not make such comments by just looking at a picture and not being aware of what actually took place. How did you expect that car to be moved from that place? Airlifted?
Old 29th January 2013, 21:28   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I'm sorry boss, I was just a slight bit behind in the jam and I think it was handled excellently. The fire truck was there within 10 mins, and the towtruck soon after. The sealink is one of the busiest roads in Mumbai, and with 1 of 2 exit lanes blocked, did you expect them to do a full CSI investigation then and there?
I agree with both of you to an extent. The cops did an excellent job in handling the situation, but they did not handle the car well as such. Saying this, what they did was a very good effort given the madening traffic and the crowd at that place.

Remember, there were only a handful of cops stationed as it was going to be only a rally, and they handled the unexpected pretty well.
A lane was closed from where the firebrigade and the tow truck could come. The firemen did their job well and in no time, the tow truck arrived.

Here, it had to tow away the car to a side to clear the piled up traffic. What I felt was, after towing it to a side, they could have waited as the traffic was being cleared for better equipments to arrive(if we have some). Again, I have no idea what would have worked here. A crane, a flat bed or what!

Overall, the traffic was handled pretty well by the guys on duty.
carzone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 23:07   #100
BHPian

Here's a video showing how the R8 was towed. If you see at the 25 sec mark, the car snaps from the tow hook . Atleast they could have got a flatbed trailer !
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 00:19   #101
Senior - BHPian

First of all you can over revv only if you removed the rev-limiter.

Its not possible to set a car on fire by overrevving. How much and how long can you over revv in Mumbai traffic?

Any of you driven on German Autobhans? You can redline for hours on end.

Modern cars have soft and hard rev limiters and also have oil temp monitoring.

Last edited by Mpower : 30th January 2013 at 01:25.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 00:52   #102
Senior - BHPian

At the end of the day that R8 was just a burnt piece of metal cleared from a busy road. Why so much discussion about how it should have been moved away to the junkyard or wherever it was taken?? It was once a brilliant piece of machinery and is now nothing but worthless junk. Who cares then if it was air-lifted or dragged.
S2!!! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 02:48   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
First of all you can over revv only if you removed the rev-limiter.

Its not possible to set a car on fire by overrevving. How much and how long can you over revv in Mumbai traffic?

Any of you driven on German Autobhans? You can redline for hours on end.

Modern cars have soft and hard rev limiters and also have oil temp monitoring.
Oil temp monitoring is there you are right the car would go into epc mode if it sensed any danger motor wise. Even if you do over rev or mistakenly down shift to a low gear high rpm the motor will not allow it. I remember i accidently shifted from 6th to 2nd in my s4 and my car went into epc mode and wouldnt let me go above 3k rpms. Now if the car has been tuned and flashed this will remove any factory locks or safety features. This r8 must have some aftermarket work done to it. Either that or someone else besides audi has worked on this car and has not taken care of it properly. I may be wrong though as i heard that the car had less than 2k kms and was recently purchased from audi pune.
Old 30th January 2013, 03:41   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
Oil temp monitoring is there you are right the car would go into epc mode if it sensed any danger motor wise. Even if you do over rev or mistakenly down shift to a low gear high rpm the motor will not allow it. I remember i accidentally shifted from 6th to 2nd in my s4 and my car went into epc mode and wouldn't let me go above 3k rpms. Now if the car has been tuned and flashed this will remove any factory locks or safety features. This r8 must have some aftermarket work done to it. Either that or someone else besides audi has worked on this car and has not taken care of it properly. I may be wrong though as i heard that the car had less than 2k kms and was recently purchased from audi pune.
You are wrong on the last couple of bits and I am assuming that you did not read all the comments. The car was over a year old and the owner has claimed that it was stock and no mods were ever done to it.

I just went through this thread when i chanced upon a video right now on YouTube and thought it must be on t-bhp by now. I am not sure whose mistake it was however seeing an Audi burn down to ashes certainly makes me a little concerned and so will it be for future customers.

Just a point that I wanted to put on the table. Is it not a good idea to have some safety equipment around when we have these kinds of events. I just saw a few comments about accidents in the past. I thought maybe they could have a couple of safety cars with fire extinguishers and the likes just to be on a safer side. Considering that when you have super-cars rallies on Indian roads and conditions and a lot of bhpians mentioned that these cars are not meant to be driven in such conditions (crawling speeds, high revs). I do not know if they already have safety cars with trained personals, for in that much time that it took the car to catch fire, I think the safety guys could have done better to reduce the damage till the time the fire fighters arrived.
Old 31st January 2013, 11:14   #105
BHPian

I have seen this car early 2011 in Mumbai. Sad to see it burnt to bits.

Hope they settle this amicably.

Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9-r8.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks