Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2007, 17:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
1. MV Agusta (was sold off for 1 Euro by proton)
2. benelli (The Chinese firm has taken too long to return to profits)
3. Aprilia (after some heavy losses due to acquisitions is now part of piaggio)
4. Bimota (submerged with the v-due's and has since remained niche maker)
5. Moto Guzzi (first owned by Aprilia and then Piaggio)
6. KTM (turned insolvent and had to be helped by Polaris)
7. Laverda (was taken over by Aprilia and then by Piaggio)
Ducati themselves were bought by Cagiva, then sold to an American VC (100%). The VC first sold 75% of their stake in public and thereafter the remainder to yet another VC, this time an Italian one.

A competitor taking over is a different issue altogether. As are chinese acquisitions. They all try to carry on the same business.

The difference is when a buyer tries to make the company work differently, or incorporate the company's strengths into his own product lineup.

I'm sure Shri Bajaj is a shrewd businessman - if the fact that he has shown interest is public, then it means a few months of work has already gone into this thought process. That would've included all the failures you mentioned.

Let us not sit judgement on whether they will succeed or not - they are the businessmen who know better and more importantly it is their money. I'm sure they have a decent idea about what they're doing.
Old 17th July 2007, 17:33   #17
BHPian

[quote=Zappo;502628]Sad news, is it? And pray why so? Does not it reek of a complex? I think you should also be sad about the european automobiles now. The venerable Arcelor that used to supply the steel earlier has now been taken over. These mighty cars are now made by some filthy Mittal-Arcelor steel.]

There is no way that the Quality of Arcelor's steel could come down by Mittal-Arcelor merger. Both of them made steel for different segments. Arcelor made automobile grade steel ,where as Mittal made Hot Rolled steel.
Old 17th July 2007, 17:38   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm cheering Bajaj all the way. Even if they dont release these bikes here, its nice to know the advent of Indian globalization is noticable.
Old 17th July 2007, 17:44   #19
BHPian

great news...would love to see an Indian made Ducati, a dream for all bike lovers who dream of owning suprebikes, atleast it will be a bit more affordable then they are now.
When others indians have shown that they can take over big enterprises, then y can't bajaj show the world they also can do it. Good luck bajaj.
Old 17th July 2007, 17:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well i hope this turns out to be more than just speculation. This will put India right up there in the Motorcycle world.
OT- Wonder what they will call the new company --BAJATI ? hee hee
Old 17th July 2007, 18:12   #21
BHPian

The speculations sounds good...May be true..coz BAJAJ has already said it and keep on saying .." Aagey nikal rahey hai hum..Hamaara BAJAJ"
Old 17th July 2007, 18:45   #22
BHPian

all praise to bajaj ..
So now are we vendors to ducati !!

oh, thou beleset thy mercy upon us
amen
Old 17th July 2007, 19:33   #23
BANNED

The last time I heard the venture capital firm was not interested in selling Ducati. The venture capital clearly did not invest in DUcati for profilts ,it more for the brand name and Ducati is doing much better and have been winning races ,so I do not forsee any change of management . PLus ,Italian companies can never be really run by outsiders and even after takeovers the companies again return to italians .
Old 18th July 2007, 01:23   #24
BHPian

is they launch these bikes then ill have a street triple for sure

Last edited by chetan : 18th July 2007 at 01:25.
Old 18th July 2007, 03:26   #25
BHPian

I am no techie, esp when it comes to business, finanace and markets and stuff...

But all i can say is YIKES!!!
(though i am extremely proud to be an Indian.)

The thought of Bajaj selling better tech for cheap means compromising on quality, as is evident from the Pulsars.
(And i already have a 100 here vying for my throat.)

Maybe Ducati asked for royalties from Bajaj, for drawing 'inspiration' from the Multistrada and Bajaj having enough moolah due to the efforts of it's brilliant marketing team and designers said 'how about me buying you out'.
Old 18th July 2007, 03:31   #26
BHPian

Them Europeans are very jingoistic, almost bordering on racist. They wouldn't allow a foreign company let alone a 'brownie' take over their automobile companies. Anyone remember the ruckus that the French made over Arcelcor (?) aquisiton by LNM? There were racist remarks on LNM in the press. They tried every option, including pleading russian companies.

Anyway, Italians are even more passionate about their companies. I don't think they will let go of Ducati. But then money talks, so if Bajaj can dangle a good carrot in front of Ducati, who know?
Old 18th July 2007, 03:58   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Watch out world, the Indians are coming.
Old 18th July 2007, 04:54   #28

Hello. Very interesting conversation you guys are having. I'm an expatriate Indian born in New Delhi but my parent immigrated to the U.S. in 1970 when I was 2 years old. I currently live in the washington DC area and am a huge Ducati fan. I found this wesite when a story about Bajaj possibly aquiring Ducati appeared on one of the Ducati message boards I follow. The U.S. ducati members seem to be quite upset by this possible development. They feel that Bajaj will devalue the company by mass producing the motorcycles and eliminating their exclusivity. I can't understand what basis they have to say this about Bajaj but I don't really know very much about them as a company. Can any of you give me any insight as to why this most likely will or will not be true? Help me explain to them why Bajaj buying Ducati is not necessarily bad.

As far as Ducati as a motorcycle to ride, they are incredible. I just bought their newest superbike, the 1098 tricolor, about 3 months ago and already have 3000 miles on it. It is an incredible handling motorcycle. It is my second Ducati and definitely the best. I took it to a local racetrack recently and was one of the fastest on the track with it. They are incredible bikes to ride.
Old 18th July 2007, 10:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hey Racer X , nice of you to share this information with us . Bajaj has changed the face of the motorcycle industry in India by coming out with the Pulsar series ,especially the awesome 220 dtsfi , so it is not just a trend follower but a trend setter .Also ,because they have the moolah , they would be able to provide the much needed thrust to Ducati . As far as exclusivity goes ,its a good thing but then profitability does not mean a worse product .

Please post a review and pics of your 1098 .We are really loking forward to it.

Last edited by sammyboy : 18th July 2007 at 10:07. Reason: addition
Old 18th July 2007, 16:08   #30

Long story short, the 1098 is incredible. I had a 999s prior to this and the difference in the engine is quite impressive and significant. It has instantaneous and immediate power at any RPM. It does about 90 MPH in first gear. The handling is very similar to my 999 but the turn in is lightning fast. The 999 was a little more lazy at turn in but thet are both incredibly stable midcorner. I'd post some pics, but I'm not sure how to. Is there an option to include them as an attachment?

As far as Ducati's exclusivity goes, I agree that infusing Ducati's R&D department with cash, would be nice, but part of the allure of riding a Ducati is that you don't see one very often. They seem to be able to build incredible motorcycles with whatever R&D they do currently. They are dominating Moto GP this year and have historically won World Superbike almost every year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks