Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2008, 11:32   #1
BHPian

Safari performance in City Traffic

Hi Guys,
I have been quietly going through the Safari threads.
I am highly impressed by adc’s trip to Kinnaur- Kaza - Rohtang ; Tsk’s desert adventures; dadu, harjeev, suman’s special inputs on various threads & was scared by Holyghost’s turtle episode.

As I am in process of buying second car for me, TATA Safari is on top of my list cheers:
(Though I will be checking Xylo 4x4 and Linea as well)

Comfort- comfort- comfort!
This is my first priority as I would be doing about 100- 120km (Noida- Gurgaon) for 3-4 days in a week. Everyday, 3-4 hrs would be spent in the car so I want to sit comfortably for that time. Also, I am 6 feet tall with broad limbs & also suffer from back pains (Safari fits the bill here).

Second priority is maintenance. Issue is about small niggles related with Safari, I would like to own a maintenance free sort of vehicle as I will be not able to spend much time for it in the initial 6-8 months due to work pressure.

But the real issue is about vehicle's performance in crawling traffic & as 65-70% of the time would be spent crawling through traffic. How is this going to affect the vehicle?

Further, what about 4x4 & ABS.? Which of these features should get preference

How many times you guys have really used 4x4 (adc completed entire trip w/o 4x4) I also have plans to do similar trips in future!

ABS was advised by many guys on Holyghost’s thread.

As EX-4x4 & VX – (Non4x4) cost almost the same one of them would be opted by me as per the voting. Sometime back on this forum, I read about GX version being launched by TATA in near future (any confirmed reports as I would be buying the vehicle in Feb ’09)

My wife does not like body coloured bumpers/ claddings in VX/ EX. Though I would love to go for LX as per my current budget but as the car would be owned for 6-7 years, I don't want to crib later for not having opted for ABS/ 4x4. Top most version will be out of budget.

Pl. put in you comments!

Last edited by breezydrive : 30th November 2008 at 11:46.
Old 30th November 2008, 12:23   #2
BHPian

well, you dont sound like you require a 4X4. a 4X2 safari would suit your purpose and save you money too. 4X4 is only for some serious off-roading involving lots of driving through muck, muddy inclines and truly terrible terrain.

comfort and space are a given in Safari - in city or on the highway. you need to TD it in heavy traffic and check out its low end torque.
Old 30th November 2008, 22:53   #3
BHPian

In crawling traffic, the Safari provides you with ample visibility all around, especially the ability to take advance decisions on which lane to take as you can see far ahead on top of all other cars in front of you. And no worries about torque - it has excellent pulling power even at low speeds. The only thing that might bother you is the heavy clutch that you'd have to hit so often in crawling traffic.

The only variant that offers you ABS is the VX - or EXi (if you can make do with petrol ). No other variants offer you ABS. And the only variant that offers you unpainted (grey) cladding is the LX. So, there you go, more confusion.

Happy buying!
Old 30th November 2008, 23:13   #4

Okay, I have been driving an LX version (only 4X2 available) for the last 5 months in Hyderabad. The traffic is a nightmare, but never had a reason to complain. The first few days took some time getting used to the clutch in heavy traffic but no complaints as of now. I usually do around 100Kms a day.... the same distance used to be pretty tiring in my earlier vehicle(Zen).... in this aspect the Safari rocks!

As for the handling at high speeds, it handles well even at 110-120 (I have done a max of 165kms/hr.... only once to check the top speed and the vehicle still had enough power and control... though not recommended even for a check). Niggles... yes, but vanished after the first service. Side cladding - I would recommend non-painted to avoid constant scratches.

Let me know if you have any other questions in mind.
My opinion - if you are looking for a comfortable drive - nothing to beat this beast !
Old 1st December 2008, 13:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ok here you go

Driving Safari in traffic is total fun for me,though sometimes people sitting with me get irritated when i have to take a U turn.

Safari has huge low end torque so in bumper to bumper traffic you dont even have to touch the accelerator,just release clutch and thats it.

and Safari commands lot of respect from fellow vehicles and forget about rickshaws/autos,2 wheelers even trucks/buses troubling you or cutting you off.

And Safari is a best bet due to the price tag and huge comfort it provides.

i have a 4 year old zen and 2 yr old safari,and i prefer safari anyday be it city or highway

People have a misconception that Safari is good only for highways.You just need to know how to tame the beast and you will the king in city too.

Point out very very specifically what else we can tell you.
Old 1st December 2008, 14:18   #6
BHPian

I agree with others here that Safari offers superb riding comfort. It can crawl all day long in low gears without breaking into a sweat or cruise all day long on a highway with little effort. You will face the problem when you have to make a U turn in a city or in a cramped state highway. The rear visibility without any additional help (camera or ultra sound device) is poor - but then most SUVs have the same complaint anyway.
Old 1st December 2008, 15:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Only problem i ever faced in the safari was the irritation of u-turns and parking in a very tight spot. Heavy clutch will take toll on your ankle after 2 hrs in bad traffic. I used to drive a 3.0dicor but i've heard the 2.2 clutch is little lighter, so that may be good news for you.
otherwise the beast normally makes its own road even in traffic and the other smaller vehicles just give way.
ABS is highly recommended cause i've had hairy moments in rains trying to control the vehicle under heavy braking
Old 1st December 2008, 15:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

I prefer driving my Safari over my Alto in city. Reason's the same for me as was posted my others.
Old 1st December 2008, 15:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

your 1st priority- comfort: safari fits the bill perfectly. great seats with nice ride quality.

your 2nd priority- maintainence: safaris are known for early issues and niggles which seems to be sorted out as kms pile up or the owner just gets used to it. not the most "maintainence free sort of vehicle" around.

lastly, about city driving comfort, i beg to differ from the others here. the safari is not the most comfortable car to drive in the city. heavy clutch, large turning radius, poor bottom end response or turbo lag, low backward visibilty (due to spare tyre on boot) and low refinement are some of the reasons. these may be something you can get used to but thats true in every other car!
Old 1st December 2008, 16:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

If person has passion to Safari he will love it or get used to love it for buying it even in congested City traffic.

I loved Safari and Innova to sit in back seat rather than driving it, these are not driver friendly vehicles. So If you are not driving it you can consider buying Safari and please make sure safe highway speed for Innova and Safari is 70-80kmph where as Linea or any sedan around 100kmph considerring Indian road condition.

Scorpio has edge over Safari/Innova to drive it. Safari has lot of niggles but not all Safaris. So If your Safari has niggles get ready to face it. TATA and Maruti cars have lot of variation in quality.

Please check out Fiat Linea and Xylo. I heard Linea is suppose to have very good ride comfort.

Buy Safari for KING size feeling, amazing ride comfort, good visibility, cheap to buy.

Safari's -ve aspects: Initial Niggles, 30,000+km niggles will be back in most of the vehicles, poor reliability, less life, after 4+ years costly to maintain (even safari DICOR), Unexpected breakdown, people get Josh and drive it fast and meet in accidents.

I am potential Safari buyer in next year, I am waiting for right time.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 1st December 2008, 16:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
lastly, about city driving comfort, i beg to differ from the others here. the safari is not the most comfortable car to drive in the city. heavy clutch, large turning radius, poor bottom end response or turbo lag, low backward visibilty (due to spare tyre on boot) and low refinement are some of the reasons. these may be something you can get used to but thats true in every other car!
I agree with you about the turning radius and rear visibility. However I beg to differ about the bottom end response. While their is a distinct turbo lag, the bottom end is still quite strong and definitely does not hinder easy city driving. The bottom end pull, even before the turbo kicks in, is stronger than most petrol vehicles and so people graduating from petrol sedans will find it quite easy to drive.
Old 1st December 2008, 16:16   #12
BHPian

To me Safari holds more of an Emtional Value than to practical value. I've been eyeing this monster ever since it was launched and toying with the idea of buying it since 2.2 Dicor happened and i am sure that i will buy it just don't know when..
Old 1st December 2008, 16:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

From my personal opinion and experience for your requirement, Safari is simple NO NO.

Please do not go by shear size/personality of the truck, think sensible. One of my friend had exact similar requirement like yours and he bought Safari by heart. And he had to buy a Wagon-R in next 2 months as it was impossible for him to take it for local drives and heavy traffic.

Please try to TD it on heavy traffic from Noida and Gurgaon and you will know what I mean.

If you think it will be your primary car in NCR, think twice. There are other options which will fit for your size and back problem. Do not hesitate to look for a better hatch or sedan. There are alot which can fit your bill, assuming your will be driving yourself..

a daily long drive is just an excuse to convince the mind to buy the truck. But of the positive note, after purchasing the beast, you might think of shifting to gurgaon instead of driving that much

Last edited by rkbharat : 1st December 2008 at 16:57.
Old 1st December 2008, 19:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
From my personal opinion and experience for your requirement, Safari is simple NO NO.

Please do not go by shear size/personality of the truck, think sensible. One of my friend had exact similar requirement like yours and he bought Safari by heart. And he had to buy a Wagon-R in next 2 months as it was impossible for him to take it for local drives and heavy traffic.

Please try to TD it on heavy traffic from Noida and Gurgaon and you will know what I mean.

If you think it will be your primary car in NCR, think twice. There are other options which will fit for your size and back problem. Do not hesitate to look for a better hatch or sedan. There are alot which can fit your bill, assuming your will be driving yourself..

a daily long drive is just an excuse to convince the mind to buy the truck. But of the positive note, after purchasing the beast, you might think of shifting to gurgaon instead of driving that much
I Absolutely disagree!!!
It is much better that you drive a bigger car in traffic and let others worry about being banged by you rather than vice versa. You get a commanding view of the traffic so its easier to find gaps and the beast will part traffic on its own might!
Most of the advantages and minor disadvantages have already been highlighted on this thread, so i will not repeat them.
IMHO, for you, it's an ideal vehicle for you. And if you get a driver in the future, the passenger seat can be reclined and the suspension is the best for a comfortable long nap.
Old 1st December 2008, 19:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
I agree with you about the turning radius and rear visibility. However I beg to differ about the bottom end response. While their is a distinct turbo lag, the bottom end is still quite strong and definitely does not hinder easy city driving. The bottom end pull, even before the turbo kicks in, is stronger than most petrol vehicles and so people graduating from petrol sedans will find it quite easy to drive.
mate, maybe you dont feel so. but that was based on my personal experience. my everyday drive is a scorpio mHAWK which you may or may not have driven. and compared to the scorpio, the safari's bottom end response seems poor which makes me wonder where the 140 bhp is hiding?! it depends on which vehicle we are comparing it to.
suppose i drive a safari after driving a tavera, i'll feel its throttle response is good. but after a drive in the scorpio, the safari's turbo lag becomes really irritating.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 1st December 2008 at 19:53.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks