Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2008, 11:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Tejas said it right. It is easier to drive a SUV than a sedan in traffic laden roads. In a Sedan you are under constant pressure/stress to protect the car all around from 2 wheelers, taxis, cabs, autos, other cars etc. In SUV, these issues by and large do not bother you and people will need to protect themselves or thier vehicles from the SUV. I personally have experienced this from quite many years now and take my SUV when I drive through main thorough fares. I am not saying this that SUV's should be driven roughly/badly or intimidating way. The sheer look of one in your car's rear view would make you look left for giving WAY!!

get mHawked!!
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the safari's ride is great, good for people with bad back. but someone looking for a city SUV, safari is not the perfect example. to understand this, i would suggest you take a drive in some other cars like the magnum, verna or scorpio and then you will feel the difference.
Pardon my ignorance but what is a City SUV?

Also, why bring in the Magnum or the Verna into this thread? They are sedans, right?

I thought the thread starter wanted to know specifically about the Safari's driveability in the city. Why steer the thread in the wrong direction? Does it answer his query if I say "The ANHC is the best of the lot"? Or "Buy the Fiesta 1.6"?

Quote:
frankly speaking, many here would have already driven these cars, i know. but i dont know what makes them not accept the fact that the safari is indeed not a city car.
What is your definition of a City Car? Do you mean "sedan"? Or do you mean some other category?

As I said above, its pointless mentioning that the Verna or Magnum are easier to drive compared to the Safari - aren't they supposed to be since they are sedans & the Safari is not?

I also think its ridiculous to think that the Scorpio is in the same segment/class/category as the Magnum & the Verna but to each his own

Last edited by suman : 2nd December 2008 at 12:04.
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:22   #33
BHPian

Automatic??

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this...but anyone suggests the Scorpio automatic?? Won't that be easier to drive in congested traffic without the heavy clutch issue? Just my opinion
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:30   #34
BHPian

It is all a matter of perspective. I have driven an Ambassador, M800, Maruti Omni, Ford Ikon and my Safari TCIC for considerable distance. But anyday I prefer Safari even in the tight cramped roads of a city like Madras. Yes - you can park 4 Revas or 2 M800 in the space needed to park a Safari. But once you are on the move, the entire world and their dogs make way for your monster. I have never had any nick on the road when I drive a Safari.
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:33   #35
Team-BHP Support

Its all a case of getting used to. For example, when shifting from indica to Safari, city driving was a real pain. Infact, my wife simply refused to take the safari on local trips. However, with more and more driving, both of us are extremely comfortable, and do not realize that we are driving this behemoth.

U-Turns are a big pain, no running away from that. You feel like a bus driver. First going to left of the road, and going across the lanes creating a traffic jam. And boy, if you need to take 2-3 goes, then you can create a long line behind you.

Other than that, in stop and go traffic, my foot of off the accelerator, and she putters along in idle even in second gear. We still don't have the confidence of call center sumo's who can weave in and out of lanes, but I guess that also comes with time.

And last but not the least, though its a large vehicle, its not an 18 wheeler. Its maybe a foot longer than a sedan, and half a foot wider. So with a reverse camera and some careful driving its good in city once you get used to it.

For a hatch-SUV driver, its a daunting task initially, when you feel, how will I ever go through that gap, or will I be able to make that turn with rear wheels on the kerb, or is that auto guy rubbing against the claddings.... etc., but once you get used to it, you don't even notice.
Infact on positive thing, with the indica, due to high pedals(esp acc) my right ankle used to ache a lot, but with the safari, its much better.
So ergonomically, I am more comfortable and more relaxed. Its made me a better driver too, because in indica I always have that cab driver mentality weaving in and out, but with safari, I stick to one lane, and driver better
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

I am not really sure what does that means. do you think people are afraid of Safari? Does bikers will not criss-cross in front of safari?

There are bigger vehicle than safari, on roads.

So please, don't feel hurt, I am feeling this as ridiculous reason to buy such cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
In a Sedan you are under constant pressure/stress to protect the car all around from 2 wheelers, taxis, cabs, autos, other cars etc. In SUV, these issues by and large do not bother you and people will need to protect themselves or thier vehicles from the SUV. I personally have experienced this from quite many years now and take my SUV when I drive through main thorough fares. I am not saying this that SUV's should be driven roughly/badly or intimidating way. The sheer look of one in your car's rear view would make you look left for giving WAY!!
Suman, if you the read first post, he is looking at xylo and Linea as well.

So Sedan is still in race, unless he confirms that no sedan at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post

Also, why bring in the Magnum or the Verna into this thread? They are sedans, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
As I am in process of buying second car for me, TATA Safari is on top of my list cheers:
(Though I will be checking Xylo 4x4 and Linea as well)

tsk1979, what is the condition of your left foot now . Having such a deep clutch in the beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Infact on positive thing, with the indica, due to high pedals(esp acc) my right ankle used to ache a lot, but with the safari, its much better.

Last edited by rkbharat : 2nd December 2008 at 12:44.
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:49   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
tsk1979, what is the condition of your left foot now . Having such a deep clutch in the beast
I rarely use the clutch, so no issues esp since I abhor half clutching under any circumstances. With low end torque you can stick to the gear longer. Moreover
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

The Safari was my stock everyday vehicle till 2006 when I acquired the Scorpio. Now it is the evryday vehicle while the Safari is being used by wifey. My suggestion to her to go for a smaller vehicle like an Esteem or a WagonR was met with a stern and vehement NO. She says that she gets more respect and space on the road from fellow travellers.

The only -ve point is parking the trucks in some congested markets or places. What would be my next ride if at all I can afford - a monster truck.
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

City SUV? What's that? Do you have a rural SUV as well? If I understand correctly what you are trying to say then probably only a GV, CR-V or a Forester qualifies for the city SUV tag. Qualis, Innova & Tavera are not even in my radar. Sumo, Bolero could be the rural ones.

Now where does that leave the Safari, Scorpio, Captiva, Pajero etc.? And how could you possible bracket Scorpio in the same league as a magnum or a verna?

I don't understand this statement - "i dont know what makes them not accept the fact that the safari is indeed not a city car". I've always been at loss to understand as to why people buy Reva, WagonR etc., that I term as matchboxes.. Even a cycle rickshaw could topple them.

Quote:
the safari's ride is great, good for people with bad back. but someone looking for a city SUV, safari is not the perfect example. to understand this, i would suggest you take a drive in some other cars like the magnum, verna or scorpio and then you will feel the difference.
frankly speaking, many here would have already driven these cars, i know. but i dont know what makes them not accept the fact that the safari is indeed not a city car. i would be suprised if someone sayd they dont feel so even after driving other cars. its maybe the love towards their cars. probably. no offence please.

Last edited by gd1418 : 2nd December 2008 at 13:07.
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post

I thought the thread starter wanted to know specifically about the Safari's driveability in the city. Why steer the thread in the wrong direction? Does it answer his query if I say "The ANHC is the best of the lot"? Or "Buy the Fiesta 1.6"?

What is your definition of a City Car? Do you mean "sedan"? Or do you mean some other category?

As I said above, its pointless mentioning that the Verna or Magnum are easier to drive compared to the Safari - aren't they supposed to be since they are sedans & the Safari is not?

I also think its ridiculous to think that the Scorpio is in the same segment/class/category as the Magnum & the Verna but to each his own
by city SUV, i mean an SUV which is equally at ease in congested city roads, which the safari is not. again this statement is in comparison to its competition.
also, please read the thread starter's requirements. he considers even the xylo and linea, so safari is not his ONLY choice. hence it can be compared to a magum and verna.
scorpio is the main rival to safari and anytime it is much better to drive in the city as compared to a safari. its a "city SUV"!
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
City SUV? What's that? Do you have a rural SUV as well? If I understand correctly what you are trying to say then probably only a GV, CR-V or a Forester qualifies for the city SUV tag. Qualis, Innova & Tavera are not even in my radar. Sumo, Bolero could be the rural ones.

Now where does that leave the Safari, Scorpio, Captiva, Pajero etc.? And how could you possible bracket Scorpio in the same league as a magnum or a verna?

I don't understand this statement - "i dont know what makes them not accept the fact that the safari is indeed not a city car". I've always been at loss to understand as to why people buy Reva, WagonR etc., that I term as matchboxes.. Even a cycle rickshaw could topple them.
city SUV, well.... i have answered that!
scorpio and innova are perfect city vehicles in the SUV/MUV category. but lets not categorize them. the point we are debating on is whether the safari is good for city use and my answer is NO, when compared to its rivals.
where have i said that scorpio is in the same league of magnum or verna?? please point out. what i said was that the safari should have the driveability like these cars to be good for city use. and drivebility has nothing to do with the shape of your vehicle. it more baout your engine and gearing.
i have not seen a cycle rickshaw toppling a wagonR but rest assured, these cars handle city roads better than scorpio and safari. i personally dont like small cars and i agree that SUVs are easier to drive in city but not all SUVs. this is my personal perspective. i hope you got my point.
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:42   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
SUVs are easier to drive in city but not all SUVs.
Could you please elaborate which Indian SUV you find better to drive in the city as compared to the safari and why?
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:46   #43
BHPian

If I am allowed to answer on Raj's behalf, I am sure its the Scorpio

Also a new mantra. The Scorpio, the Verna and the Magnum are in the same class of vehicles and these can be compared to one another and no one is to object.

Last edited by SumitB : 2nd December 2008 at 13:47.
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:50   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
If I am allowed to answer on Raj's behalf, I am sure its the Scorpio
Elaborate why? the low end torque of both these vehicles is not so different to make a big difference. The safari has enough low end torque and i've never had a problem in the city. I used to feel very scared in my old honda city during peak hour, but in my safari, i ruled the road! Imagine seeing a beast in your rearview mirror especially at night with all lights on and the extra fogs also on... makes a scary sight and anyone would just give way...

Quote:
Also a new mantra. The Scorpio, the Verna and the Magnum are in the same class of vehicles and these can be compared to one another and no one is to object.
Ya right! And while your at it, why not add the ferraris, rolls, range rover, hummer, prado, cayenne, etc to the your same classification of the scorpio!

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 2nd December 2008 at 13:55.
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:52   #45
BHPian

About the elaboration part. If I have answered correctly as per Raj, then only he can elaborate on it further. Raj bhaiya, please do the honours.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks