Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2009, 09:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Feel + Smell

If you are charged for an oil change and want to be sure that the oil is changed - there are two tests.

One is the finger test - feel the oil between finger and thumb - it should be sticky & gummy and feel smooth. Old oil will be more watery and less sticky and feel slightly grainy.

The other is the smell test - new oil smells well - like new oil, old oil will smell different - more acrid, sulphurous, slightly burnt etc.

Cheers,
Old 27th May 2009, 11:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

I always thought sticky/gummy oil means time to change it.
Old 27th May 2009, 12:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How much has the engine done so far? and how many kms it ran before you checked the oil after service. Which car is this?
Jaggu and others,

Thanks for this. I drive a Verna and have clocked 30K on her. I checked after driving her for 20-30Kms after the change.

So, I'll presume that this is natural phenomenon.

Last edited by DirtyHarry : 27th May 2009 at 12:46.
Old 27th May 2009, 12:52   #34
Team-BHP Support

What was the oil used and how often do you change oil? In my car i change every 5k kms and thus discoloration takes a bit more time compared to others.

If its not pitch black i think you can assume that oil was changed.
Old 27th May 2009, 13:15   #35
BHPian

Interesting! I change every 10K and they've used Servo Eng Oil and charged me at the rate of 191.09/ltr. Oil supplement is anotehr 350 and enginer flush is 311. This is apart from filters and cartridges.
Old 27th May 2009, 19:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Please take a look at the two posts:

This one shows the oil (among other things) just before it went for an oil change at an interval of 10000kms.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1063505

This one shows the oil (among other things) after the service (ran about 10kms after the service)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1069319

Hope this helps.
Old 28th May 2009, 00:58   #37
BHPian

@Jaggu - I drive a bolero and I think they put in some shell oil. I change anywhere between 5k to 6k kms.
Old 28th May 2009, 02:21   #38
BHPian

Its a cheating game.

I assure you that the next time that you change the oil stand next to it when it is being drained and the oil won't turn black for 500km. Drain it for atleast 30 minutes when the engine is real hot and make sure to remove the filter too while you are draining the oil. I do the oil change my self and drain it overnight at home.

In both my cars the Junkindica diesel and the Palio GTX that has covered 94500km and 62000km respectively the oil stays clear for atleast 600km to 3000km respectively whichever brand of oil I use. The best mineral oil I have found so far is Quartz7000 from TOTAL-ELF-FINA.
Automotive and industrial lubricants - Ribble Fuel Oils
In the Junkindica the oil turns very minutely opaque from the golden hue of the original fresh oil in about 1km but still is clear for about 600km. After about 700km it turns greyish and then turns black by about 1200km.

I have inside information on the uptake of fresh oil in one year by one manufacturer for their cars in warranty. I know for a fact that the fresh oil consumed is not sufficient to service even 1/6th of the new cars sold by them in Kerala state.
GO FIGURE.

I implore all of you in Kerala state( possibly in other states too) to be next to your cars when they drain old oil and fill fresh oil and plead with them to use oil from unopened plastic cans. Pay them extra if need be to use oil from fresh unopened cans. Never let them use oil from the 200liter drum. Watch the old oil filter being discarded and the new one being put in.

I have one of my patients working in the service center and I am dead sure he would not be lying to me as long as his family members are my patients. He claims that if not for using adulterated oil the guys at the engine service department for diesel engines would be out of work. Diesel engine over hauling is the bread and butter for the whole service department. GO FIGURE

Last edited by drpullockaran : 28th May 2009 at 02:23.
Old 28th May 2009, 07:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...il-change.html
Old 28th May 2009, 08:13   #40
BHPian

Is this true for all private garages or even authorised service centres of Maruti, Mahindra and the likes? Bcz I am finding it extremely hard to swallow that Authorised service centres would be in the deal as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post

I implore all of you in Kerala state( possibly in other states too) to be next to your cars when they drain old oil and fill fresh oil and plead with them to use oil from unopened plastic cans. Pay them extra if need be to use oil from fresh unopened cans. Never let them use oil from the 200liter drum. Watch the old oil filter being discarded and the new one being put in.
Old 28th May 2009, 10:32   #41
Team-BHP Support

Someone seems to have same experience as me, yes in my case also oil doesnt turn completely black in under 500 kms and all. Today morning i checked, its already close to 500 kms since i changed the oil, and its still yellow will lil bit of soot, no way its black or close to grey.
Old 28th May 2009, 14:06   #42
BANNED

In 4-stroke bikes, the Engine oil will only change colour after 300 KMS.
Old 28th May 2009, 23:59   #43
BHPian

I think i have been taken for a ride, today i removed the dip stick again and checked the oil is black, the jeep has run only arround max 200kms after service. Felt the oil between my fingers it felt rough but the stickiness was there but much reduced from the first time I felt it. I think they have used some quantity of old oil and some quantity of new oil.

I asked my driver what all he bought and gave the garage before the service. He told me he gave 6 liters of Shell Rimula, oil filter, fuel filter, Air filter, front brake pads and a few other small components he showed me the computerised bill from the authorised center from where he picked these items up..
Old 29th May 2009, 01:10   #44
Team-BHP Support

I always get oil changed in front of me, yet it turns black within a few kms in the indica.
Old 29th May 2009, 05:15   #45
BHPian

The engine's compression and also the mechanical tolerances might have to do with the Fiat engined Maruti's oil not turning black immediately and the Safari's engine turning black in just a crank of the engine.

The New Fiat Engines(GP & Linea) are having unbelievably long Oil change periods wonder how they will look after an oil change.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks