Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 15:01   #3826
Team-BHP Support

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Tyre pressure recommended are: 32 PSI - Front and 35 - Rear.

Under inflation though making the ride smoother may lead to cracking of tyre sidewall, as the tyre ages.
Under inflation can also lead to a blowout. So I keep 33-34 in all tires.
But thats a different topic.
What I meant to say was keep same pressures as you would keep in the 235 tire.
Old 24th October 2011, 20:00   #3827
BHPian

about vibrations while braking.

my ex 2.2vtt had the 30k kms service done by the end of Aug this year. all brakes were inspected during service and since there was good amount of life left in both front pads and rear liners it was decided to keep it for a few thousand kms. but in my highway drives last month, there was heavy vibrations while braking from speeds above 80km. since this week during diwali, long drives are planned, got it checked at Concorde Begur workshop today.

After test drive and inspection, it was decided to change rear liners and keep the same front pads for a few more kms. the usual cleaning of discs and drum was also carried out. no other work was done on discs. this has almost completely solved the vibrations in braking from high speeds.

i shall give more update after my highway drives this week.
Old 24th October 2011, 21:20   #3828
Senior - BHPian

One tyre of my Safari remains straight and other is very slightly turned (unnoticable for a new guy.) The vehicle pulls slowly to left side due to this. Please check the below values and confirm if it is a camber issue?

Caster: (Standard specifications: 2.20 minimum and 3.30 maximum)

1) Left: 3.42
2) Right: 3.12

Camber: (Standard specifications: -0.30 minimum and +0.30 maximum)

1) Left: -0.54 (the pointer on the alignment PC was in red zone)
2) Right: -0.36

Toe: (Standard specifications: 0.05 minimum and 0.12 maximum)

1) Left: 0.09
2) Right 0.09

Please check and clear the doubt whether there is a real need of camber adjustment.
Old 25th October 2011, 13:46   #3829
BHPian

members

Someone nudged (safari Dicor GX) at my rear side (RH) fog light and its cracked up. would just that plastic cover available as a part?
Any shops in Koramangala/Indira nagar or will that be available at car nation?

thanks in advance
Keyan

Mods please move this to the right thread, if its not to be here.
Old 25th October 2011, 14:15   #3830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyank View Post
members

Someone nudged (safari Dicor GX) at my rear side (RH) fog light and its cracked up. would just that plastic cover available as a part?
Any shops in Koramangala/Indira nagar or will that be available at car nation?

thanks in advance
Keyan

Mods please move this to the right thread, if its not to be here.
it costs around INR 350 at TASS..you get only the housing without the fixtures.
Old 28th October 2011, 20:13   #3831
BHPian

I was going through Scorpio ownership thread started by nvldvr. Their nvldvr has mentioned that he was facing momentary loss of power. I am posting the line from his thread.

At times on that drive, around 10-12 times in all, felt momentary losses of power with the engine check light coming on for a few seconds each time.
Showed it to Mahindra guys in ratnagiri, and after hooking on the laptop, they were able to corelate the 2 issues.
The brake switch is located below the steering column, somewhere next to the bonnet release lever. There was a small rubber beading, around 2mm thick, that had fallen off and causing the brake switch to make at times even when the brakes were not pressed on.
The same issue was causing the ECU to believe that i am trying to brake the vehicle in running condition when i actually was not, thus leading to temporary losses of power.
The guy just put another rubber beading in place, and both issues were sorted out for good.

Maybe the momentary loss of power in Safari is due to the above mentioned problem. Has anyone tried the above solution? If it is not the right thread then MODS can delete the post.

Regards
Old 29th October 2011, 22:08   #3832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
... ECU to believe that i am trying to brake the vehicle in running condition ...

Maybe the momentary loss of power in Safari is due to the above mentioned problem...
Unlikely. Scorpio has micro-hybrid technology where braking signal might trigger ECU to cut-off fuel supply to engine (loss of power). Safari DiCOR 2.2 does not have similar tech.

-BJ
Old 29th October 2011, 22:42   #3833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Unlikely. Scorpio has micro-hybrid technology where braking signal might trigger ECU to cut-off fuel supply to engine (loss of power). Safari DiCOR 2.2 does not have similar tech.

-BJ
But his variant is sle. Micro Hybrid technology is only present in vlx variant. Please clarify my doubts.

Regards
Old 30th October 2011, 22:58   #3834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
But his variant is sle. Micro Hybrid technology is only present in vlx variant. Please clarify my doubts.
In nvldvr's case, the ASCs diagnosis seems to be correct. I'd faced a similar issue which I have narrated here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2472061

So, as bj96 has said, I don't think the power loss problem in Safari is similar to what nvldvr faced in his Scorpio.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 30th October 2011, 23:01   #3835
Team-BHP Support

Service light is on again. Speedometer stops working and then the light comes on. Cleaning the speed sensor got rid of the problem for couple of days.
Will take it to service center tomorrow, and and ask them to fix it again.
I am hoping its not a more serious alternator problem, but I guess if it was, a lot more sensors, and not just the speed sensor would be malfunctioning.
Old 31st October 2011, 12:10   #3836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
So, as bj96 has said, I don't think the power loss problem in Safari is similar to what nvldvr faced in his Scorpio.
Please refer to point 3 of my safari troubles

So, this may be a case in safari also
Old 31st October 2011, 16:38   #3837
BHPian

No I dont think the famed powerlag issue in Safari is just because of a simple brake sensor or stuck rubber beading problem.

Otherwise, how am I able to control it by revving hard occasionally? and how can there be a bout of black smoke from exhaust when this happens? And it is also accompanied by a kirr-kirr-kitchh sound from bonnet.
Obviously, there is much more to this. At 33000Kms on Odo, I still have it and to me it has become a feature than an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Please refer to point 3 of my safari troubles

So, this may be a case in safari also
Old 31st October 2011, 18:42   #3838
BHPian

Hello friends

I am going on a road trip, Mumbai ooty, kabini next week which i estimate would be around 4000k mumbai to mumbai

since i am going with my wife and have recently returned from an excursion due to which my car was standstill for 10-15 days, i took her out to ratnagiri [360km] and back same day with some detours totalling around 1000k in a day just as a mock trial

certain issues and advise i would like to seek your expertise

1>Safari gx 2010 model. The car the first time I had taken out for a long drive a year back on highways made a faint "krrr" sound from the steering panel where the indicators are attached. Much of this noise used to go on speeding the car up which i related to knocking. Though being a safe than sorry guy I reported this to TASS on every service visit. They found no problem as the car never made this sound in the city though for safety they checked the shocks, steering column and also greased it
2>Yesterday also this noise was very pronounced and my friend described it as it an "open wire sparking " like sound. The car has no problems
3>I always noticed that the upper-dipper indicator was a bit hard to operate or maybe it could be me at fault. Yesterday after returning home there is slight niggle as folows
"when i switch the uper light and give left indicator, the dashboard light goes off and the moment you turn left it comes back. This does not occur with right indicator or when light is in dipper"
since the attachment of the stick inside coincides with the same spot where the noise i have located i have few questions

1>could there be an open wire or some obstruction which maybe causing the noise. Remember i had this noise from day one but no problems at all
2>I am going to TASS on wednesday. What should I ask him to look for. This visit is just as a safety issue to check if all is in place. I have read in this very thread that many times people have gone to Tata to do such checks and end up being stalled on highway. So what should i tell them to check and what not to touch??

The car also has history of rat attacks and i had to repair injector wiring and abs wire. However the rat attack was this year but I cannot rule that on day one when I parked my car [and it was rainy season when I bought the beast] some rodent may have escaped in

3>My drive back and forth was through real bad roads filed with craters and due to time constraints of coming back I may have driven rough. So should I check the shocks ???

this is my first long drive alone with wife and a holiday planned and i hope with your expertise i may cut out many hassles

PS

also planning to buy 2 ton trolley jack, air pressure gauge and electronic air filler [tubeless tyres] anything else i must carry

waiting for your advise and replies

regards and happy diwali
Old 1st November 2011, 11:40   #3839
Senior - BHPian

Get them to open the steering column plastic cover and check for any wiring issues,usually the faint Krr sound that people talk about comes from the EGR and the sound should direct you to the center of the dashboard, slightly towards the steering.

You can buy a pin type 2 ton hydraulic jack and that should be it, I dont think we have a dearth of puncture shops and as long as you are able to change to the spare you should be ok with your tubeless tyres.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 16:54   #3840
BHPian

Thank you Dadu , I would follow your advise

One more thing, since you mentioned about the EGr issue, if such a faint sound is heard is that normal or I must be checking for that too

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks