Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2005, 13:26   #16
BHPian

Windshield Scratches removal

After about 4 years on road, now my front windshield is now showing several microscopic scratches. (These are visible in night when the light is shone through the glass). I checked some other cars and found most of them have a similar problem. These are due to the sand and dust particles, and get worse due to occasional (accidental) use of dry wipers.

These scratches causes severe light diffraction and makes the night driving difficult. All of you must have faced the problem some time or other.

I checked with one company called "windshield experts" and they said you have to replace the glass.

Does anyone have a solution to overcome this problem (other than replacing the glass).
Is there any kind of polish?
I have tried using Polaroid sunglasses. they reduce the glare caused by Diffraction significantly but can not be used in night. So is any kind of a high transparency film (with polarizing) available?
Old 18th November 2005, 13:30   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

A mystry unsolved my friend.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...ght=windscreen
Old 18th November 2005, 16:30   #18
Team-BHP Support

Actually the best option would be to use polarized glasses. As for night use you can use non-tinted polarized glasses. The cost is 350/pair of lenses + frame cost. They make you plain glasses with anti-glare coating, but the downside is that the coating lasts about 12-15 months and you have to change the lenses after that.
Old 25th January 2006, 14:06   #19
DRC
BHPian

back to the same problem....
I have searched extensively for a guy who can do this job,

I was redirected many times between JC road and Shivaji nagar.. but no one does it..
Any one know a perticular shop who can do glass bufffing for cars?

help
Old 25th January 2006, 16:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchimni
Hi , The Scratches etc caused from worn out wiper blades can be removed without changing the windscreen , you need to contact
Windsheild Experts , they are present in most metros and am sure they are present in Bangalore as well...

Hope that helps !
yes they are present in bangalore on Hosur road... They have a shop in front of the hanuman temple which is few meters before the madiwala flyover.... i know they have another outlet but my memory beats me...
Old 25th January 2006, 18:49   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
yes they are present in bangalore on Hosur road... They have a shop in front of the hanuman temple which is few meters before the madiwala flyover.... i know they have another outlet but my memory beats me...

Manipal centre ! I contacted them but they do not do scratch removal only chip and star impact damage. There is a guy on the street behind woodlands I think who does some repair
Old 2nd February 2006, 01:44   #22
BHPian

I'v had the same problem since some time (see thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...cratches.html). Despite a long search I have not been able to find a solution. Things I have tried: Windshield experts (they confirmed they CAN NOT remove scratches - I have been to two of their workshops in Mumbai), toothpaste, glass polishing powder available with mirror shops, some fancy glass polish liquids. Only altrenative left for me seems to be the replacement of glass.

So if you succeed in removing those scratches, pls let me know.

Regards
Old 2nd February 2006, 02:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Since there is no ways to remove scratches, i thought about this:
Read at ur own risk.Don't try this at home. Writer is no way responsible for anything u do after reading this post.

Break the front windshield with a cricket bat or whatever and claim insurance.

Has anyone here tried it before??
Old 2nd February 2006, 08:45   #24
BHPian

No end to Scratches

Even i tried with windshield experts, they told me that, there is an guy who will do this kind of work, mean filling of glass powder with some solution to scratched glasses, but it will lost for 15-20 days or in a next wash, so forget about removing scratches, enjoy it, feel free about this, if you not able to do this, just follow the nitrous!!!
Old 2nd February 2006, 09:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Read at ur own risk.Don't try this at home. Writer is no way responsible for anything u do after reading this post.

Hey thats not entirely ethical. Unfortunately its common :( We cannot screw the insurance firms unfairly and then expect them to be fair and just with us. If we use insurance as intended, we can legitimately press for better and fairer claims processing. Normal wear and tear and the odd unfortunate lemon is part of the bargain. For the latter talk to the delaer/manufacturer and the former is out of pocket.

(P.S. I do not represent ANY insurance company even remotely, except as a customer)
Old 2nd February 2006, 14:55   #26
DRC
BHPian

I like the Noiotrous idea..... But I am also zenx kind
Old 2nd February 2006, 16:53   #27
Team-BHP Support

I do not know anything about being ZenX kind... but I know one thing for sure. I won't have the heart to take a cricket bat (or a baseball base maybe?!) and smash the screen by myself. I do not have kindda destructive trait I guess

But, as far as I understand there are DIY kits available for these problems. I guess it is not exactly sold as glass scratch kit. Look elsewhere. Go to some some electronics/ music shops. Enquire if any solution is available that makes the scratched CDs to be read. If I am not mistaken there are solutions available which fill up the scratches on the surface of the CDs and thus helps in making them readable. If so that should also work for windscreens.

In fact now that I think about it, I also saw an advertisement sometime back that talked about how your windscreen glass has miniscule pores in it. The adv talked about some solution that fills up these pores and hence the water droplets never accumulate on your screen (it was rainy season) and simply flow down and help visibility. The same solution should also help fill up the scratches. Only if I could remember where I saw the adv and who released it

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd February 2006 at 16:55.
Old 28th April 2006, 10:43   #28
DRC
BHPian

Just came across this site. Does any one have tried this service any time,

Experts in bangaore know if this service is available in Banglaore?/

http://eagleeye.co.in/glass.htm
Old 28th April 2006, 10:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous

We tried it with the esteem. Even I was going to recommend the same.
Someone put wet cement on the windshield and cleaned it with a dry cloth after it dried.So imagine the scratches ....

Smashed the glass with a bat and for the record " I PARKED IT UNDER A COCONUT TREE AND A COCONUT FELL ON THE WINDSHIELD !!!!"
Old 28th April 2006, 11:41   #30
BHPian

I have heard about the product called Scratch Magic, they use this liquid or powder based not sure, on the buffing machine and remove the scratch it actually works wonders. Not sure if it is available in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks