Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 12:45   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The Dicor has headlight controls on the stalk right? The Storme has a rotary knob on the dash, first clockwise is parking lights and all internal dash, HU, A/c, etc. lights, second position is the headlights, then you need to pull it out one click for front fogs and one more click (like a watch's bezel key) for the rear fogs.
Ok I actually checked last night on the way back from office.

The front fogs can be put on by pulling out the knob one click even in the parking light first position (i.e. without the headlights on).

The light is nice. Diffused and spread out without a proper "beam."

But its spread out all over. Even high up. I thought fogs are supposed to be focused mainly low down on to the road?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 18:55   #32
BHPian
 
kaviprem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 819
Thanked: 583 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The light is nice. Diffused and spread out without a proper "beam."

But its spread out all over. Even high up. I thought fogs are supposed to be focused mainly low down on to the road?
I guess, its good to have it this way !
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 19:27   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Congrats Doc! The looks of the Storme have grown on me as well. Looking forward to the travelogues with the beast now. Happy Driving!
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 19:34   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Congrats on your New Ride and wishing you a very safe miles ahead.
kiransri_bng is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 13:43   #35
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks bro. I'm not really a car guy, but the Storme does excite me as a touring companion. Sadly both of us being docs, its really difficult for my wife and I to coordinate leaves together.

Thanks buddy! I'll post photos of the interirors onc the accessories are fitted. Curently its all still got the plastic which I am resisting removing till the accssories guys are done with the car.



Thanks bro!

On the headlamps, mine are currently on "0". When you move the setting to 1, 2, and 3, the beam actually dips downwards. I was trying to get the throw to further down the road. Any setting for that guys?

Some other questions and points (Beastie is now at 700 kms):

1) What tyre pressures to keep. I have 32 front and 35 rear. Is that the reason for the "boauncing" to an extent?

2) Any solution to the water dripping from the rear wash and wipe nozzle?

3) How long to warm the car when you start and for how long to keep it running before shutting off?

4) Has anyone figured out how to do the audio display "dimming" setting when the headlights are put on? Please do share!

5) When does one use the rear fog lamps? Only in fog, or in normal city and highway traffic as well. Reversing also?

6) Unlike my Baleno, in the Storme I cannot put on the front fogs without putting on the main headlights. So its really impossible to make out how bright they are or what their beam pattern is.

7) Now that I am reading other ownership reports, I realise that the sound to my right is not a rattling but more like a squeaking (like rats at night). Its probably from a seat spring or something.

8) Wildlife problem. I have a puppy (actually an adolescent now) and there our adoptive cat's 3 kittens are also now grown up but refuse to leave. They have been taking shelter under my Baleno up until now, and now they find a new comfortable apartment on top of the sump guard of the Storme.

This drives my doggie wild and he chases them and tries to get at them. Often clambering on to the side of the cars, and leaving his claw scratches behind. The scratches are not through the paint, but they are pretty clear and I am at my wits end what to do.

An help with from fellow wildlife sufferers would be greatly appreciated! I cannot keep my pup chained or cooped up indoors, and the cats are too quick for me to catch and strangle.
Trying to provide some answers
Headlight beam, 0 is the highest with 1/2 pax. when you load more people the rear dips in the Safari and the manual recommends to increase the beam to 1/2 or 3 to allow the beam to fall on the road. With 0 and on dippers oncoming motorists feel I am on high beam, so you may get your alignment checked.

32/32 is the best pressure for 1/2 people on board, else it leads to bouncing, although the manual recommends 32/35

30 secs before motoring (first start) and 30secs before shutting down, should keep your turbo healthy. Its similar to what the RE bullet manual recommends. Also try keep your rpm below 2000 until the temp guage hits the middle mark.

Rear fog only in fog please. It causes a hell of a glare to any low car owner behind you.

All squeaks can be eliminated by a healthy dose of wd40. Just try a can

Place catnip or something similar near your engine sump, talk to the vet or the pet shop and get something which smells nasty to the cats, and they should vacate the place. Else get your pup some mitten boots

I am not sure of the European stalks in the Storme, however in the Safari its possible to have the fogs on with parking lamps only, this is how I drive mostly within the city.

Cheers
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 15:54   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Place catnip or something similar near your engine sump, talk to the vet or the pet shop and get something which smells nasty to the cats, and they should vacate the place. Else get your pup some mitten boots
Thanks bro. Most appreciated sugestion of your whole post. I never took vets into consideration at all. I figure I will find myself some nasty cat stuff soon that will keep the pests at bay without hurting them.

P.S. On second thought (and some Google research), 3 aggressive / aroused kitties is the last thing I want near Beastie or any of my bikes and cars.

Because then my puppy wil become even more hyper. And then I will get REALLY hyper!

"When exposed to catnip some cats will rub (often with the chin and cheek areas), sniff, lick and eat the plant, sometimes followed by rolling over the plant. Following this contact with the catnip, behavioural changes are often seen. Most commonly reported signs of ‘intoxication' include having a ‘wild' or ‘drunken' appearance, vocalisation, rolling around in ecstasy and showing signs similar to sexual arousal. Affected cats look like they are having a really good time!! The effects usually last for a few minutes. Cats will then not react to catnip for at least an hour. In some cats, aggression can be seen with exposure to catnip. In these cats, it is probably best to avoid giving catnip treats or toys."

Last edited by ebonho : 5th April 2013 at 15:58.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 22:15   #37
BHPian
 
NST440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jalandhar
Posts: 188
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Just got BEASTIE home guys! My new Astern Black Safari Storme EX.
Congrats Ebonho

Finally you too have joined the Storme club, as i read your post it felt like i have written it, it so much describes similarly what i feel for my storme. To add to it I m a Bullet rider as well . The beast looks superb in black & i really love the new black of storme. May God give you miles of happiness & fun. Congrats again.
NST440 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 08:11   #38
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Doc, need a couple of clarifications.
1) Does the power steering hiss come on at full lock?
2) How much smaller is the turning radius really? Able to take a full u turn on a 40 feet road?
3)Easy to unscrew the spare wheel from below the floor? Is the winch mechanism easy?
4)Are you able to dim the HU with the built in dimmer? I seem to only dim the meter console, the a/c console lights and the power window and other lighted switches.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 09:15   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
Lukeskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,396
Thanked: 1,149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Doc, need a couple of clarifications.
1) Does the power steering hiss come on at full lock?
2) How much smaller is the turning radius really? Able to take a full u turn on a 40 feet road?
3)Easy to unscrew the spare wheel from below the floor? Is the winch mechanism easy?
4)Are you able to dim the HU with the built in dimmer? I seem to only dim the meter console, the a/c console lights and the power window and other lighted switches.
Let me answer a few if your questions even though they are not directed at me :-)
1. Yes the power steering hiss is heard when on full turns
2. Don't know the exact specs, but it is definitely better than the current Safari
3. The spare wheel is easy to remove, you need to use the wheel spanner to loosen the nut, just ensure the luggage bay is free at least in the radius of the spanner turn.
4. Have never checked the audio dimming feature, but the odo display can be dimmed using the two buttons on it.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 17:40   #40
BHPian
 
PassionateDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 60
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Congrats Doc for the beastie. Wish you many happy miles ahead!!!

I am a huge fan of Safari (nothing unique about this though). Last week I test drove Dicor and Stome back to back. Man, TATA has done a commendable job in making Storme.

Many reviews I have read are particularly critical about the looks of the Storme as compared to Dicor. But IMHO, the looks of the Stome grows on you. The squarish front grill gives a more masculine look. The spare wheel free look at the back compliments it, if not more.

Interiors are no-nonsense. Another area where we have to appreciate TATA is the interior built quality. Excellent improvement over the Dicor.

Handling is another area where Storme scores over the Dicor. Steering is more responsive, body roll is less, gear shifts are more precise, braking is improved. Personally i felt very confident while driving Storme than the Dicor.

Maintenance is another area where Dicor had (has) received a lot of critics over these years. Hope Storme gives a better ownership experience to her customers. The Storme which I test drove had done 10000+ Kms, and there wasn't a single rattle then. Though, only time will tell the true story here.

Congratulations again Doc. Keep posting.
PassionateDrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 18:13   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Congrats Doc! The looks of the Storme have grown on me as well. Looking forward to the travelogues with the beast now. Happy Driving!
Thanks bro! No travels except to the office and back yet.

1000 kms completed last night. First experience on the ghats. Took her to Khopoli and back. 4 adults and one kid. Pulled up the less tight corners comfortably in 3rd with the momentum maintained. On the tighter corners 2nd but I guess only because I needed to slow down. Engine feels smooth and torquey. Does 120 in 5th at around 2300 rpm or thereabouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiransri_bng View Post
Congrats on your New Ride and wishing you a very safe miles ahead.
Thanks buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
Congrats Ebonho

Finally you too have joined the Storme club, as i read your post it felt like i have written it, it so much describes similarly what i feel for my storme. To add to it I m a Bullet rider as well . The beast looks superb in black & i really love the new black of storme. May God give you miles of happiness & fun. Congrats again.
Thanks bro! Where is your thread? Or review? Would love to read it and compare notes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Doc, need a couple of clarifications.
1) Does the power steering hiss come on at full lock?
2) How much smaller is the turning radius really? Able to take a full u turn on a 40 feet road?
3)Easy to unscrew the spare wheel from below the floor? Is the winch mechanism easy?
4)Are you able to dim the HU with the built in dimmer? I seem to only dim the meter console, the a/c console lights and the power window and other lighted switches.
1) Cannot hear any hiss (checked listening carefully in office parking, with no music or A/c). I do get periodic hiss from over my head when the rear A/c is on though.

2) No idea really how small it is. Feels much tighter than the Dicor I had driven earlier. Getting into my gate with cars parked till the gate margin is also easier.

3) I saw the SVC guys do it pretty easily. Never done it myself. The wheel needs to be slotted in properly between something once it reaches almost the top, otherwise it will move around. I still do not know (nor have been shown) where to place the jack.

4) I cannot dim anything. Can you please share how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateDrive View Post
Congrats Doc for the beastie. Wish you many happy miles ahead!!!

I am a huge fan of Safari (nothing unique about this though). Last week I test drove Dicor and Stome back to back. Man, TATA has done a commendable job in making Storme.

Many reviews I have read are particularly critical about the looks of the Storme as compared to Dicor. But IMHO, the looks of the Stome grows on you. The squarish front grill gives a more masculine look. The spare wheel free look at the back compliments it, if not more.

Interiors are no-nonsense. Another area where we have to appreciate TATA is the interior built quality. Excellent improvement over the Dicor.

Handling is another area where Storme scores over the Dicor. Steering is more responsive, body roll is less, gear shifts are more precise, braking is improved. Personally i felt very confident while driving Storme than the Dicor.

Maintenance is another area where Dicor had (has) received a lot of critics over these years. Hope Storme gives a better ownership experience to her customers. The Storme which I test drove had done 10000+ Kms, and there wasn't a single rattle then. Though, only time will tell the true story here.

Congratulations again Doc. Keep posting.
Thanks buddy! And I agree to your mini review on most points. The plastic cladding of the tailgate is a little flimsy and crinkly. Not like what you find on the other 4 doors. Wonder why.

I am also not very satisfied with the lights on the highway. One thing I need to get checked and looked at preferably by a TATA guy.

Also both sides middle row door cladding have a little play at the bottom (wheel well part). Not firmly fitted like the rest of the cladding everywhere else. Wonder if this is normal or something else I need to get checked at the first service.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 19:45   #42
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
4) I cannot dim anything. Can you please share how?
You got to press the control sticks/stalks on your speedo console, you will see = symbols on the display. ==== means all white lights at maximum intensity (speedo, odo, power window and ancillary switches, clock backlight) and = means minimum intensity. However it cant change the intensity of the head unit.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 20:12   #43
BHPian
 
PassionateDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 60
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

I am also not very satisfied with the lights on the highway. One thing I need to get checked and looked at preferably by a TATA guy.
This is surprising. I just took the projector headlamps for granted, and did not give a much thought to it. Also I haven't read any review specifically regarding this point. Keep us posted about this. Thanks.
PassionateDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 14:21   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
You got to press the control sticks/stalks on your speedo console, you will see = symbols on the display. ==== means all white lights at maximum intensity (speedo, odo, power window and ancillary switches, clock backlight) and = means minimum intensity. However it cant change the intensity of the head unit.
Thanks buddy. Got it. Mine was set at ==. Leaving it there for now.

Btw, what the issue about dimming the lights (and of HU). To prevent distraction while driving at night?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 17:13   #45
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks buddy. Got it. Mine was set at ==. Leaving it there for now.

Btw, what the issue about dimming the lights (and of HU). To prevent distraction while driving at night?
Seriously, it doesn't matter in terms of brightness, however with max intensity the glare might be a bit distracting on a dark night. However its nicer on the eye to have a soft/low glare instrument panel to get maximum night vision on the highway (not that high beam morons from the opposite side of the road allow you to)
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Riding Hood: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT ChoosetoCruze Long-Term Ownership Reviews 10 12th January 2014 08:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks