Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 22:38   #121

Re: My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha

Did you get that bumper fixed?
Read about some paint shops like mercury cars in kalamassery that do very decent jobs in a thread on paint shops at kochi.
Maybe you could do some research on that.
Old 26th January 2016, 21:05   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
My brown little hippo.

ICE upgrade

Upgraded the stock speakets
Front components - Morel Maximo 6.5" components rated at 90 W RMS (9k)
Rear - Morel Maximo 6.5" coaxials (4.5k)
Planned upgrade (Wil be done in the subsequent months as steps)
1. Damping of all four doors - Noisekill / Dynamat
2. Amplifier - 4 channel A/B Focal Auditor and cables
3. Subwoofer - ID 8 inch shallow mount sub in a custom box that can fit into the groove/ditch on one side in the boot.
Hey Sandygordon, curious to know update on ICE you've listed. I'm also going through the same thought process as you
Hows the SQ improvement after the change in speaker? Have you done the damping and added the amplifier? I feel damping can make a lot of difference.
Old 28th January 2016, 15:25   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorque View Post
Hey Sandygordon, curious to know update on ICE you've listed. I'm also going through the same thought process as you
Hows the SQ improvement after the change in speaker? Have you done the damping and added the amplifier? I feel damping can make a lot of difference.
And most importantly, snaps of the install. Especially curious to see how the sub is mounted.
Old 3rd February 2016, 19:39   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
And most importantly, snaps of the install. Especially curious to see how the sub is mounted.
I have not installed the sub yet. Infact I have not added amps till date. Thinking of adding a DLS 4 channel amp with damping of all doors next month. All I Have added are the components (morel maximo 6.5") and coaxials (morel 6.5"). I now have a rattle problem with the left door glass. Needs some fixing. I might go ahead with some damping on the doors before I go for the amp and subwoofer.

The SQ is a lot better after adding the components (on flat profile EQ setting). FM quality has taken a beating due to excessive booming of sound. I have to keep bass at -3 for the radio. Hoping the addition of an amp will solve this problem. Not going for upgrade this month as budget allocation for the car is almost nil this quarter.

Last edited by sandygordon : 3rd February 2016 at 19:44.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 22:18   #125
BHPian

Is the leather upholstery of premium quality in Alpha? Has it deteriorated in condition with use?
Old 6th March 2016, 07:54   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
Is the leather upholstery of premium quality in Alpha? Has it deteriorated in condition with use?
There are no wear and tears. But I feel quality is far better in an L&K Laura / Karlsson 20k leather package. The texture is rough, firm and does not wrinkle easily, but does not impart that "soft leather" premium feel you get in a laura/octavia or even a jetta. It does look premium though.
Old 10th April 2016, 19:18   #127
BHPian

I have just booked a brown 1.6 S cross Delta. Wanted to know how are the tyres performing and how much did you get for the alloys? I checked with a tyre shop and was offered 3.5 for the JK tyres and he had somebody's alloys which he was ready to part for 20K. what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vteccross View Post
Did you get that bumper fixed?
Read about some paint shops like mercury cars in kalamassery that do very decent jobs in a thread on paint shops at kochi.
Maybe you could do some research on that.
Mercury cars is in near Lakeshore hospital and they are really good. I had to redo my old verna bonnet and their work was excellent.

Last edited by ampere : 10th April 2016 at 20:31. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 10th April 2016, 20:10   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish.thomas View Post
I have just booked a brown 1.6 S cross Delta. Wanted to know how are the tyres performing and how much did you get for the alloys? I checked with a tyre shop and was offered 3.5 for the JK tyres and he had somebody's alloys which he was ready to part for 20K. what do you think?
Hi Manish
Congrats on the 1.6. At the current price it is total VFM.

I changed the alloys as well as tyres. Got 16k for Maruti Alloys and 14 K for 4 JK tyres. He took 60 K for GTR alloys and 225 section Hankook tyres. Overall I feel if you can get the OEM alloys for 18K, it would be a good deal. The 225 Hankooks are doing well but has some road noise. Michelin Primacy has almost zero road noise. I d suggest you to look at 205 Michelin primacy for tyre upgrade.
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-scr.jpg

Last edited by sandygordon : 10th April 2016 at 20:17.
sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 22:53   #129
BHPian

Congrats on the ride
Have been following these threads (especially this one on the Hippo) for a while now and all that's happened since then is drive me a tad bit crazy for the S-Cross. After the test drive on the 1.6, I can only think of how situations would be different only if I had the 1.6 instead of my Swift.
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:46   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
Congrats on the ride
Have been following these threads (especially this one on the Hippo) for a while now and all that's happened since then is drive me a tad bit crazy for the S-Cross. After the test drive on the 1.6, I can only think of how situations would be different only if I had the 1.6 instead of my Swift.
I know, Got my s cross 1.6 delivered & completed about 600 kms. It's a breeze to overtake slow moving traffic. Very useful for me as most of my drives are on single lane state highways in Kerala.

Mine is a Delta 1.6 hence don't have parcel tray. Visited the service station in Ernakulam to check whether the same can be purchased as accessory but the experience is very UN NEXA like. So I think the premium treatment ends when you sign the dotted line.
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:38   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish.thomas View Post
I know, Got my s cross 1.6 delivered & completed about 600 kms. It's a breeze to overtake slow moving traffic. Very useful for me as most of my drives are on single lane state highways in Kerala.

Mine is a Delta 1.6 hence don't have parcel tray. Visited the service station in Ernakulam to check whether the same can be purchased as accessory but the experience is very UN NEXA like. So I think the premium treatment ends when you sign the dotted line.

I think that's pretty lame not having included the parcel tray for the delta. About treatment, I've not had that since the day I entered the showroom. Got stood up twice for the test drive had a day wasted when I took an off from work for it. Honestly, my experience was bad. Spectra Maruti and Paramount have given me better treatment than NEXA. Wish you countless safe miles and smiles (that turbo zone)
Old 17th May 2016, 22:48   #132
BHPian

An update is long overdue.
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-s5c.jpg

Hippo is going on well. Not given me niggles
Remap has changed the character of the car
The low end is wonderful for a 1.3 multijet. The car moves from halt without the throttle. Picks up revs and speed in the first and second gears. You can do a 2nd gear u turn at 10-20 kmph. Signal light starts are much better. Closing gaps in thick traffic is easy. Overtakings are easier. The character post remap is really good. You can get into XXX kmph in a jiffy, much faster than a stock car. Just downshift, floor the throttle and he springs forward with ease. No pinned back feel, but a smooth surge.

Ever since the remap I have been contemplating on upgrading to the 1.6. It would not make any financial sense to do it now, but heart is yearning for a 1.6. Never could I make a TD.
The dream of owning a 1.6 still lingers but I am facing a lot of roadblocks for the process
1. Truevalue will not accept a car below 1 year of ownership
2. Bank is not happy with me finding a seller, but rather would accept only a deal from the dealer / true value
3. I will have to find a seller as Nexa / True value wont help
4. I might have to foreclose the loan before selling the car
5. 4 L is the minimum I have to spend extra on "upgrading" to 1.6 alpha
6. Absolutely no support from kith and kin
7. The heavy clutch and turbo-lag of the 1.6 are very real, though many owners seem to overlook it.
8. Seems like my Hippo is unhappy with me contemplating on dumping it.

Coming back to reality
No niggles now
The rattles have settled after 3rd service
NVH and gearshift quality are average, but pardonable due to excellent ride and handling
The awesome automatic wipers are working well. I have not switched on the wiper or adjusted its speed in the past 6 months. Auto dimming mirrors are awesome. The headlamps could be better and fogs have to be switched on for good illumination on the sides.

Nearing 15000km - will be getting past it next week
Planning for the fourth un-paid service at Nexa. (20k km maintanece pack)
Thinking on adding a K&N filter at 4th service

Some Snaps
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-bhp4b.jpg
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-bhp3.jpg
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-bhp4.jpg
My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha-bhp5.jpg

Last edited by sandygordon : 17th May 2016 at 22:57.
sandygordon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 21:51   #133
Senior - BHPian

Sandy
Did you get your Hippo painted in VW factory ?

The shine is just mind blowing, nowhere near the ordinary paint finish of Maruti.

Hats off to your maintenance.

Happy motoring.
kpzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 10:27   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
An update is long overdue.

Remap has changed the character of the car
The low end is wonderful for a 1.3 multijet. The car moves from halt without the throttle. Picks up revs and speed in the first and second gears. You can do a 2nd gear u turn at 10-20 kmph. Signal light starts are much better. Closing gaps in thick traffic is easy. Overtakings are easier. The character post remap is really good. You can get into XXX kmph in a jiffy, much faster than a stock car.

Ever since the remap I have been contemplating on upgrading to the 1.6. It would not make any financial sense to do it now, but heart is yearning for a 1.6. Never could I make a TD.
Really glad to hear this. That's exactly my experience as well.

Trust me, it's pointless to upgrade now. I know the feeling since I went through it as well, but if you think about safety and finances, it makes no sense to upgrade to a 1.6 now. This was the frustration I had with Maruti. They left many like us desiring for more, but I am 100% sure in my case the 1.3 is absolutely good enough. I don't feel it under powered at all.

Recently, I did an Ooty trip in my brother in law's scorpio and I missed my 1.3 more. The S-Cross remapped is more drivable and pleasure on ghats than the scorp.

My Bangalore - Palakkad trip during off peak hours takes me 5:40 minutes with a short break, which is absolutely great considering I use cruise and keeps the speed at 110 KMPH. The car is wonderful and absolutely fuel efficient and planted at that speed. If you encounter a not so experienced driver in a bigger car, you can also give him a run for his money with the remap.

So take care of your hippo well and enjoy your ride. Think of adding more stuff rather than upgrading to 1.6. for instance, after warranty period, you could add additional hardware to harness more power. It's the best way forward in my opinion.
Old 26th May 2016, 15:38   #135
BHPian

Hi
I am following all the S cross threads here. Back in 2007 i brought Chevrolet Aveo (Mysore) which i used for 7 years . Although the car was not a hit in market but it was good enough for me and i enjoyed it thoroughly.

Now the situation is that I am again in lookout for a new car : Although my first choice was creta but i came across s-cross threads which made me change my mind.

I want to ask few questions , will really appreciate if the owners can give some answers:

1) I am looking 1.6 alpha , my biggest concern is will this car be discontinued ?
2) As there was issue with breaking , if i buy now , i think i have to be absolutely sure that they are not giving me an alpha from old stock ?
3) any noida owners , as if i select this car then i will be buying it in Noida.
4) Ground clearance - is it sufficient enough? what has been your experience in bad roads.
5) Is there anything i should look out for or bargain out ? i am going to showroom this weekend for a TD.

Kindly help me with this questions, thanks in advance
Tanmay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks