Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 16:24   #61
Senior - BHPian

Hi Bouncer,

> there is significant difference if one waits for 10 seconds or so. It starts in
> flash. I had tried after reading this in some other thread. Was that posted by > you?

Yes, I did post it in another thread. Follow it and pass it on to whoever has a Indica or its cousin in diesel avatar.

This tip was provided by Achin Juneja in the yahoo Indica group. This works because the glow plugs continue ot heat for another 10 seconds after the light goes off.
Old 1st August 2008, 17:25   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Bouncer, nice set of wheels. There is that nice touch to give that engine cover. they did not give it when I bought my marina Dicor. Can I put it in as a retrofitment? Also ifpossible could you please convey the price of the plastic Unit at the rear which holds the vents etc. Only the unit minus the coils etc? Another thing drive safe, stones can be evry bad. I also blew my front tyre in a simillar fashion.
Again congrats on the wheels mate, enjoy.
Old 2nd August 2008, 12:15   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
....they did not give it when I bought my marina Dicor. Can I put it in as a retrofitment? Also ifpossible could you please convey the price of the plastic Unit at the rear which holds the vents etc. Only the unit minus the coils etc? ....
I think you can put that plastic hood on engine. There are mounts on head cover for the same. I wonder if it's only cosmetic or has any tech purpose.

I am not aware of that rear A/c unit's price. You can get that info on phone also, call any Tata dealer workshop - ask operator to transfer the line in Spares Dept - enquire. They will definately help you.

Thanks for the words of safety.

Last edited by Bouncer : 2nd August 2008 at 12:17.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:41   #64
BHPian

Replacement under warranty

The wipers when switched on were making a loud 'thudd' noise at particular point. We rang up the sales person who had attended us at B U Bhandari Auto Pvt Ltd and told him the problem. He immediatly informed the workshop at Wakad and asked us to get there. The Cust Relationship Manager there, Mr. Sharma had a look into the matter and opined that wiper motor and linkage assembly was at fault. A manufacturing defect.

He requested us to bring in the car next day for few hours and said he would get the wiper motor and linkage assembly changed under warranty.

They did exactly the same next day and it's perfect now. The way it should be. The 'NIL' Invoice given to us states the cost of replacement as Rs. 2,696/-.

The problem was promptly attended and solved.
Old 20th August 2008, 14:07   #65
BHPian

Seat Covers??

Bouncer,

Have you added Seat Covers? My 4 year old seems to be keen on dirtying the stock beige fabric. I am seriously thinking of covering up the seats with some good quality seat covers (not Leather!). Anu suggestions folks?
Old 21st August 2008, 20:06   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
Have you added Seat Covers? .....
Chandru, I haven't added any seat covers. I drive with A/C all the time, 7 days a week and 12 months a year, so no problem of dust settling in. I also vaccum clean the interiors once a month. I don't have to worry about kids yet . So no need of seat covers for me.

Yes, with a tiny toddler around you definately need seat covers. Whatever is your choice for the material, get it done professionally done to retain all the shapes and contours, especially of back seat.

As far as my choice goes, I am planning to retain stock fabric as long as it remains acceptably clean for me and than get it done in leather like XL Grand's.
Old 20th October 2008, 15:05   #67
BHPian

@ greenhorn: Have already replied your PM. The concerned pic is attached here. Pic used from XL broucher.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Indigo XL Classic Dicor - 20,000 KMs & 3rd Service Update-xl-headlamp.jpg  

Old 20th October 2008, 15:10   #68
BANNED

All in all the XL Dicor is a True VFM, i saw one at Manipal Motors, and was truly amazed with the amount of legroom the car offers at the rear, and also TATA's have added so many nice bits here and there.

Nice car though. Nice buy man
Old 20th October 2008, 15:14   #69
Senior - BHPian

Thanks bouncer , muchos gracias
Old 22nd November 2008, 19:38   #70
BHPian

10,000 Kms update.

My Indigo XL Dicor just completed 10,000 kms. So here is an update,

The car’s been running on upsized (185) Michellin PP2 tyres filled with nitrogen since delivery day. Road grip is very good, further helped by long wheelbase. I have checked tyre pressure only once in these 10K kms. (When one of the tyre was burst by sharp edge stone on h’way and had to replace). Routine rotation, alignment & balancing did on 5K kms and now due again.

First service was done at 1,000 kms and second just now at 10,000 kms. Oil and oil filter changed at second service. I am using ‘System D’ additive all this while. Getting FE of 20-21 kms/liter on h’way and 17-18 kms/liter in city with A.C. on 100% of the time. The driving style is very sedate and occasional spirited driving on h’way. Otherwise h’way speeds in the range of 110 to 120 kms/hour. The car has spent most of the time running on h’way.

Apart from the two routine services, it has visited workshop two times:

First was at 3,545 kms to change the faulty wiper motor assembly, which was covered under warranty.

Secondly at 7,708 kms due to coolant leakage problem, which was also covered under warranty. Thermostat gasket and coolant bypass hose was changed. Engine checked for any damages. Found none.

Except for these two, I have not encountered any problems in the car. The Tata trademark ‘kich kich kich kich’ sound prevails for first few minutes of idle every morning.

We are more than happy with the experience so far. The backseat comfort with twin A.C. is fantastic. Now we fight on who sits at back! At the driver’s seat (where I sit most of the time), torque delivery on h’ways is very very good. Overtaking Volvo buses and long trailers is breeze, just throw it in fourth and press the pedal. And we are well satisfied with FE for this car size.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Indigo XL Classic Dicor - 20,000 KMs & 3rd Service Update-xl.jpg  

Bouncer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2008, 21:08   #71
Senior - BHPian

I'm curious what engine oil your tata a.s.s uses. Its strange to see that tata recommends the same API CF4 oils for the DICORs as they do for the other ID indica/indigo engines.they use castrol GTD at my place.

the safari dicors need API CH4 though.
Old 6th December 2008, 15:09   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
Getting FE of 20-21 kms/liter on h’way and 17-18 kms/liter in city with A.C. on 100% of the time. The driving style is very sedate and occasional spirited driving on h’way. Otherwise h’way speeds in the range of 110 to 120 kms/hour. The car has spent most of the time running on h’way.
17 - 18 kpl in city with 100% AC? Can you tell me how it is driven - I mean the rpm you maintain while changing gears? My driver has this habit of changing gears quickly that leaves her running at around 1200 rpm.

And you call 110 to 120 kmph sedate driving? When I did my only highway trip even though I maintained rpms in the turbocharges band of 1800 to 2400 and a max speed of 95kmph on 5th, I got an FE of around 17 kpl only.
Old 6th December 2008, 19:40   #73
BHPian

Driving style

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
17 - 18 kpl in city with 100% AC? Can you tell me how it is driven - I mean the rpm you maintain while changing gears? My driver has this habit of changing gears quickly that leaves her running at around 1200 rpm.

And you call 110 to 120 kmph sedate driving? When I did my only highway trip even though I maintained rpms in the turbocharges band of 1800 to 2400 and a max speed of 95kmph on 5th, I got an FE of around 17 kpl only.
Chandru, I really do get these average figures. And trust me, I don't look at the tachometer to change the gears. I simply go by the feel of speed and (pushing) momentum when it comes to up or down shifting.

By sedate I don't mean slow (or non-fast), I mean calm, linear and uniformly. I don't drive rash or don't accelarate like sudden burst or brake late and sudden. On highways I pick up speed gratually and reamin in the range of 110-120. I don't hurry to reach 100+, but once I am in my cruising speed as stated above, I am in 'manual cruise control' .
That's how I drive. Hope it helps.

Quoting distinguished BHPian Ram, from another thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Let me let you in on my secret:

Fuel economy has much to do with how you drive,
how and when you change gears and
how early you get into fifth gear (overdrive) and how long you stay there.

However, you can develop better habits than that. And that will help your fuel economy.

I never make the engine pink and knock under load at low rpm and generally stay close to the peak torque zone.

Then I always accelerate gently and uniformly,
(driving as if to protect a soft-boiled egg between my foot and the accelerator pedal, from getting crushed).
Old 10th December 2008, 18:39   #74
BHPian

Huper Optik for front windshield

Installed Huper Optik front windshield film on my XL today. Costed Rs. 4,950/- Comes with 10 year warranty. The film used is - Klar 70 ST.

Automotive

Last edited by Bouncer : 10th December 2008 at 18:45. Reason: Adding link.
Old 10th December 2008, 21:42   #75
Senior - BHPian

Just finished going thru this thread. amazing car. highly underrated i should say.
Bouncer - what is the cost difference between XL and a similar spec regular INDIGO ?

are the rear seats different from the regular INDIGO in terms of contour/material and size ?

also do you need a mic to talk to the driver from the back seat ? ( he sits so far ahead - damn ! )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks