Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2009, 16:48   #31

Congrats dude! car looks great !

This beauty hardly need any kind of cosmetic changes!

FE is great and interior look awsome !!

Enjoy your ride!
Old 14th October 2009, 17:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I have known cars with incorrect tyres on the wheels. Dont ask me why, maybe a sensor problem but having the incorrect size i.e. not the same size on all tyres does cause this.have heard from a couple of people but not experienced this.
Have upgraded the tyres since and have never faced this problem till date

Quote:
FE is directly related to the way you drive. Get Pedal heavy and the FE goes down faster. Also it can suffer if your various filters (diesel, air, oil) are not replaced and have outlived their life. Get a through tune up and see it go. On the other hand, stop and go traffic will affect the FE drastically. My E220 gave me not more than 6 in traffic but a trip on the expressway made it yield a whopping 16 kms/litre of petrol.
The car now gives a steady 8 kmpl in bumper to bumper traffic with the ac on all the time.

Quote:
Most probably the replacement fuse is not of the same voltage. Its really no rocket science but a lot of electricians will not even look for the right fuse. Then, either a bare wire is rubbing the body, or there could be moisture in the turn signal housing itself. Pl check if this particular fuse is shared by the Cigarette lighter asd that is the biggest cause for fuse blowouts.
Another point to note have noticed overloaded fuses tend to melt the plastic and create loose contacts leading to many more issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubin View Post
about the "Fuse" it is shared by the horn and the signal lights only
what i've observed is that the car tends to overheat as in the Temprature of the car goes above 80. also if u honk 3-4 times it goes off.
Interesting, check for loose contact on fuse number 7 in the fuse box, it is the main fuse and could be the culprit.
Old 14th October 2009, 21:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
about the "Fuse" it is shared by the horn and the signal lights only
what i've observed is that the car tends to overheat as in the Temprature of the car goes above 80. also if u honk 3-4 times it goes off.
What goes off when you honk? Check your temp sensor.
Does it have electric or mech fan.
Old 16th October 2009, 18:03   #34
BHPian

well
the problem still persists
anyways our very own "Dippy" vroomed the car,
so i'm waiting for "Dippy Da Review"
Old 16th October 2009, 18:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
facing a small problem
the ABS light remains on even after switching on the engine .
the manual says if this light is on means ABS id defective ! !
but the ABS still works ( i was in a situation yesterday when i had to ram the brakes hard and steer left...)
calling all Merc experts

It is usually ABS sensor it is common .just replace the sensor
Old 16th October 2009, 18:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAUMASURG View Post
It is usually ABS sensor it is common .just replace the sensor
Done that sir .
but as far as the brakes are working fine i can live with it.
but still it pokes the eye
Old 16th October 2009, 22:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the delay Jubin but here I am

Jubin visited me the other night since I was very keen to see his car. I am a sucker for W124s and Jubin was very kind in coming over with his mini 'tank'.

Jubin's car is an E250 diesel. It is in immaculate condition to say the least. One drive in this and you know that these Mercedes cars were built to last. Starting from the reassuring THUD of the door to the build quality and the robustness of the interiors. I have driven newer Es but nothing comes close to the kind of engineering that the W124 has. Sure the current E Classes have more features and gizmos but the W124 is plain simple and functional. No fancy electronics nothing. This is pure Mercedes we are talking here.

Turn the key and you know youre driving something special. The old school Mercs just age so gracefully. I slot the gear into first and I was amazed at the slickness of the gearshift even after all these years. The torque on this amazing and it just pulls and pulls. The clutch is a bit on the heavy side and I did stall the car once but I guess you get used to it as you drive more. The steering is light and the E is very easy to drive even in traffic. I dont need to say anything about the high speed stability. Enough said.

Jubin is still facing the fuse issue and the ABS and oil light stays on for some reason. Otherwise the car is an absolute dream. Me and Jubin plan to do a highway run soon. This car will be fun on the open roads for sure. Lets see when that materializes.

Till then over to Jubin for more.
Old 16th October 2009, 23:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man. Just wanted to know. Did the car have accident on the left side? Looks like the paint on the front and rear doors is not evenly matched.
OR is it just the pics????
Old 17th October 2009, 10:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Sorry for the delay Jubin but here I am

Jubin visited me the other night since I was very keen to see his car. I am a sucker for W124s and Jubin was very kind in coming over with his mini 'tank'.
==========
Till then over to Jubin for more.
thats our very own
jeremy clarkson ! !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Congrats man. Just wanted to know. Did the car have accident on the left side? Looks like the paint on the front and rear doors is not evenly matched.
OR is it just the pics????
kids in my residential complex scratched the side once (i hate cycles now! ! ) so i had to a touch up kind of.

but as far as the car drives good
i can live with the minor issues
though it would be sorted out Soon.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st November 2009 at 00:17. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote instead. Avoid quoting entire large post, Thanks
Old 17th October 2009, 12:00   #40
BHPian

well
since the thread is now in the ownership report section i have to write something, which is been written for 12 years now,

rewriting history and the legacy of the Mercedes benz W124

The ride : runs like its on Rails, great road grip thanks to the Jk tyre 205/65.

The performance : do i say more 2500 CC of mind numbing power,torque or whatever you call it.

The FE : its a 12 year young merc and give me 11 in city with AC on and 15 on the highway what else would you want ?

The interiors : the rear seat is a Sofa , all leather seats (though i've put on suede seat cover to save the leather from

belt buckles etc , the overall space is a 100Sqft more than my Dukkar obviously , i still love my fiat and swear by IT.
its not technology loaded but typical germany subtle luxury.the boot it big enough to have a BAR "film-sharaabi Style"

The Price : seriously worth every penny spent on this 12 year young cars, investing 4-5 lakhs on this is pure satisfaction,
the Thud of the doors,the airbags,its all worth.

The likes:

tons of space
enormous power
good FE.
Decent ICE (JVC Hu and stock company speakers)
Merc Alloys.

The dislikes ...Err the issues

the fuse thing will be sorted out after Diwali for sure
The brakes etc aren't a problem
a Few rattles on the inside but i boost my ICE to ignore it
new bulbs for headlamps (need your suggestions)
the bonnet monogram got stolen twice. thank god we have a place called Kurla ! !

so far all this is what i can think of pretty inexperienced to write reviews

if theres anything i've left out of you guys would like to know
i'm just one reply away

Thanks guys for the support
Old 19th October 2009, 11:45   #41
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
well

The interiors : the rear seat is a Sofa , all leather seats (though i've put on suede seat cover to save the leather from

belt buckles etc , the overall space is a 100Sqft more than my Dukkar obviously , i still love my fiat and swear by IT.

Hey then what's the point, let the leather be exposed. I may only deteriorate faster under the covers, due to trapped humidity.

the bonnet monogram got stolen twice. thank god we have a place called Kurla ! !

Kurla is the reason we have the problem in the first place, and then we do have to go there for the solution.

Enjoy the lux life with your passion.
Old 1st November 2009, 00:04   #42

Thanks jubin for your detailed report. It gave me the confidence to go for it with full steam. I am planning to visit Mumbai in the second week of November to check 250D cars. Do you know any good cars for sale or can you recommend me some good dealers.
Old 2nd November 2009, 19:17   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Enjoy the lux life with your passion.
Thanks mate.
lots of long long trips planned
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:42   #44
BHPian

Excellent buy, jubin. niggling issues may creep up once a while (though in much less numbers than "any other" car), but should be feeling great at end of day to have such a reliable masterpiece from the not-so-old days.
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:23   #45
BHPian

sorry for the late reply
i'd PM u the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testarossa View Post
Thanks jubin for your detailed report. It gave me the confidence to go for it with full steam. I am planning to visit Mumbai in the second week of November to check 250D cars. Do you know any good cars for sale or can you recommend me some good dealers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks