Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2010, 19:12   #1261
BHPian

Yes Nairrk. That's very true. Rs 2500-3500 would have been OK. I even conveyed the same to the dealer.

I tried to find out whether I can get it done from outside. Things in RTO are not very proper in Kolkata. Also I am very new to all these. So I sought a broker's help (my training school does these works too). They asked for Rs 3000 extra for the same.

However, when I said to the dealer that I will do it myself, he said that in that case, I need to take the temporary registration from them as they will not allow an unregistered vehicle out of the showroom. As per them, TR will cost Rs. 5000. So, all in all, I will be selling out more.

After that, I had a talk with the sales manager. I told him that being an informed buyer, it is quite hard for me to accept such practices. He acknowledged the same and said that he will look into it. He is yet to get back to me. I am expecting his call by today or tomorrow.

Yes, it also seemed to me that they are giving the freebies with my own money. That’s the only thing I am not happy with my dealer. Otherwise, it’s a nice experience dealing with them till date.
Old 6th January 2010, 19:35   #1262
BHPian

DTE indication has really been a great help for me. Though it cannot be blindly trusted, but it does help in adjusting the driving style and get some feedback quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
You seem to have done most of your running in period on highways, so maybe a marginally higher figure.
Yep, as mentioned in earlier posts, was on a Bangalore trip during the yearend. And then to Mahabs on 1st. ECR may be a highway, but on 1st Jan, it was more like driving in a city, specially during the return in the evening.

I was under the assumption, after reading somewhere, that for the best mileage, a constant speed of 55-65 in the 5th gear is to be maintained. More than that speed, wind/resistance/road friction/sudden braking etc comes into play and may increase the fuel consumption. So, my question is, on highways, what is the perfect cruising speed? Not that I am much bothered about FE when driving the Fiesta (anything above 10 is ok with me), but still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsachin21 View Post
I don't really trust the DTE readings, they keep on changing depending on how you are driving. I've seen it jumping suddenly by 20 odd kms plus or minus with just a km of travelling
But isn't that the point exactly? I mean, when the engine is cold, more fuel is supposed to be consumed, and once things stabilizes a bit, you get better numbers.
Old 6th January 2010, 19:48   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
But isn't that the point exactly? I mean, when the engine is cold, more fuel is supposed to be consumed, and once things stabilizes a bit, you get better numbers.
Well I don't think that this has got anything to do the engine being cold or warm. Irrespective of this I've seen the readings to dwindle sharply even while driving (when the engine is hot).

Anyway I do agree that's it's a great help nonetheless.
Old 6th January 2010, 19:53   #1264
BHPian

Have you guys come across any news from FORD in the expo? Why is FORD lying low, seems they are not even participating?

Off Topic, sorry guys..Gilead/Kishore and other chennaites frequenting this thread..if you are free this Sunday, can we meet somewhere in ECR. Not a proper meet this time, like the TBHP Chennai meet etc, but a short couple of hrs at Fisherman's Cove maybe over lunch and share our experiences. What say?
Old 6th January 2010, 19:56   #1265
BHPian

Quote:
I was under the assumption, after reading somewhere, that for the best mileage, a constant speed of 55-65 in the 5th gear is to be maintained. More than that speed, wind/resistance/road friction/sudden braking etc comes into play and may increase the fuel consumption. So, my question is, on highways, what is the perfect cruising speed? Not that I am much bothered about FE when driving the Fiesta (anything above 10 is ok with me), but still?
You would get the best mileage if you are able to drive upto 2K rpm, that too in 5th gear majority of the time.

On highways, my personal experience has been that you would get the best mileage by driving between 90-100kmp (16+ that's what I've achieved with my Ikon), for speeds above 100 upto 140 kmp I have managed about 14+ with my Ikon. Since you can sustain a speed of above 140 kmp, don't know what would be result on the mileage front. Though I did get few chances to above 160 kmp, touching about 170 kmp on few occasions with my Ikon. Am yet to check this with Fiesta (haven't got the opportunity yet), but think that the Fiesta should be able to match the same mileage within the same speed brackets

well... last but not the least - best mileage can be achieved by driving around 60kmp on highways, but don't think it's possible with these beauties as one would not even notice when 100kmp is achieved effortlessly as if you have just touched about 60-70 kmph if you are driving NHC. Can someone resist the temptation and drive at constant 60kmph on highways in an Ikon or a Fiesta..... I just simply wonder...

Last edited by gsachin21 : 6th January 2010 at 20:01.
Old 6th January 2010, 20:11   #1266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
@mayukh

Rs.7000 towards dealer margin & handling charges -This seem too high
Normally dealers charge Rs.2500 to 3000 and if we do the registration then even
this amount can be saved.
I doubt, by charging such high amount on this heading, he agreed to give those
freebies???
Yes Nairrk. That's very true. Rs 2500-3500 would have been OK. I even conveyed the same to the dealer.

I tried to find out whether I can get it done from outside. Things in RTO are not very proper in Kolkata. Also I am very new to all these. So I sought a broker's help (my training school does these works too). They asked for Rs 3000 extra for the same.

However, when I said to the dealer that I will do it myself, he said that in that case, I need to take the temporary registration from them as they will not allow an unregistered vehicle out of the showroom. As per them, TR will cost Rs. 5000. So, all in all, I will be selling out more.

After that, I had a talk with the sales manager. I told him that being an informed buyer, it is quite hard for me to accept such practices. He acknowledged the same and said that he will look into it. He is yet to get back to me. I am expecting his call by today or tomorrow.

Yes, it also seemed to me that they are giving the freebies with my own money. That’s the only thing I am not happy with my dealer. Otherwise, it’s a nice experience dealing with them till date.
Old 6th January 2010, 21:24   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
Dada, there is no such thing as free lunch;-} It is always like hiking the price by 20% and then giving a 10% discount! If this is the only sore point, don't you worry..all dealers are doing the same and we have all gone thru this! It is a standard practice, at least in Metros, where there is heavy rush in RTOs.

Not only that, if corp discount is applicable, what I have gathered from all threads so far, you will find it tough on getting further discounts/freebies, since it seems, the margins are pretty thin in such cases.

Alternately, try reasoning with them that you will be doing sunflim/paint treatment/underbody coating/accessories/spoilers etc and see if you can bring the overall pricing/package down instead of concentrating only at this aspect.

And mind you another thing! You may be inclined on cutting some corners here & there (becos of TBHP membership effect), when you actually get the delivery of your car, you will tend to become extra-generous and start splurging (particulalry since this is your first car, I guess).. So, hold your emotions in check during that time to offset the extra outgo.
Old 7th January 2010, 09:53   #1268
Senior - BHPian

@mayukh
Rs.5000 for temporary registration ? Cant believe
and even the driving school guys are asking Rs.3000?
feel better you stick with the dealer as in any case you are getting some benefit back as freebies. In the meantime try to negotiate with him to see
any thing better you can get from him. This is the only way to do this?

@gssachin/sanjayc

Ford recommends to maintain RPM between 1500-1800 to achieve good fuel efficiency (and use A/C with only re-circulation mode). They are not specifically mentioning any speed one has to maintain to get good mileage.
All car manufacturers agree that Overspeeding will result decrease in fuel economy.

DTE - During my last drive (500kms), the DTE in my car shown almost correct figures. When the DTE came to 81, immedieately the low fule warning light too came up which means only fuel left in the car was for another 80kms drive (as per owners manual). I still continued driving till DTE came to 20kms then I filled up the tank (didnt want to risk in the highway without fuel)
Old 7th January 2010, 10:27   #1269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have you guys come across any news from FORD in the expo? Why is FORD lying low, seems they are not even participating?

Off Topic, sorry guys..Gilead/Kishore and other chennaites frequenting this thread..if you are free this Sunday, can we meet somewhere in ECR. Not a proper meet this time, like the TBHP Chennai meet etc, but a short couple of hrs at Fisherman's Cove maybe over lunch and share our experiences. What say?
I stay near to the Besant Nagar beach. So if it's anywhere near I'd happy to join anytime

ECR - I'm not sure if I can make it this weekend.
Old 7th January 2010, 10:30   #1270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

+
Ohh,Fisherman's cove - Nice place
been there 4-5 times, when I was in Chennai.

Lucky people - go and enjoy !

And imagine, all of you go in your fiesta's and park there together -a wonderful scene?

Last edited by nairrk : 7th January 2010 at 10:32. Reason: correction
Old 7th January 2010, 11:59   #1271
BHPian

Quote:
@gssachin/sanjayc

Ford recommends to maintain RPM between 1500-1800 to achieve good fuel efficiency (and use A/C with only re-circulation mode). They are not specifically mentioning any speed one has to maintain to get good mileage.
All car manufacturers agree that Overspeeding will result decrease in fuel economy.

DTE - During my last drive (500kms), the DTE in my car shown almost correct figures. When the DTE came to 81, immedieately the low fule warning light too came up which means only fuel left in the car was for another 80kms drive (as per owners manual). I still continued driving till DTE came to 20kms then I filled up the tank (didnt want to risk in the highway without fuel)
Thanks Nair Saheb for correctly capturing the RPM, I've mentioned speed as most of the people look at the speedo rather than the rpm readings. And since I've mentioned Ikon's figures it was more appropriate to mention the speed rather than rpm figures and there is a difference in the rpm of Ikon & Fiesta, for instance - Ikon's rpm figures for a speed of 60 kmp is 1500 and for Fiesta it's around 1700. Haven't seen the 1500 rpm in the 5th gear so far in Fiesta, will try to see this today while driving home.
Old 7th January 2010, 12:01   #1272
BHPian

Regarding FE -
I get somewhere around 13 km/l (route 70 % less crowded higway stretches 30% slow paced traffic) on any given day. I have not seen much fluctuation on higway runs maybe because the speed increases and compensates the highway advantage

But I have some serious concerns on how the FE is getting calculated by me. Tank full to tank full - Most of the times I ask the attendant to stop filling the moment the sensor detects tank full. but then those guys want to round it off to some nice figure. So there would be some level of approximation while such calculations are done. At times the sensors are not working and the guys peep into the tank to see if they should stop filling.

Regarding DTE -
I agree its helpful as its a guideline for the owner to know on when he needs to refuel.
so IMHO It cannot be termed to be accurate or inaccurate. I observed the DTE reading does not change at all during a 10 kms if the car was parked in scorching sun. (maybe the tank had a lot of petrol vapours and it could not calculate the exact volume of fuel available)
This is just my observation and conclusion- I might be wrong.

Regarding Cleaning interiors - I still await suggestions
Old 7th January 2010, 15:32   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
Dada, there is no such thing as free lunch;-} It is always like hiking the price by 20% and then giving a 10% discount! If this is the only sore point, don't you worry..all dealers are doing the same and we have all gone thru this! It is a standard practice, at least in Metros, where there is heavy rush in RTOs.

Not only that, if corp discount is applicable, what I have gathered from all threads so far, you will find it tough on getting further discounts/freebies, since it seems, the margins are pretty thin in such cases.
Quote:
@mayukh
Rs.5000 for temporary registration ? Cant believe
and even the driving school guys are asking Rs.3000?
feel better you stick with the dealer as in any case you are getting some benefit back as freebies. In the meantime try to negotiate with him to see
any thing better you can get from him. This is the only way to do this?
Hi sanjayc/nairrk,

As I said earlier, the registration charge is the only thing which I am not happy about the dealer.

However, as I have no other complains with them till date, I am trying to be reasonable. After all, the only other Ford dealer also quoted same rates and that too with no commitment about the freebies. Here, at least I am getting something substantial as freebies (or whatever it can be said). Moreover, I have talked with the manager and hopefully to get something more (either in less registration fees or some more freebies). Keeping my fingers crossed.

I would also like to ask few things:
1. Which sunfilm should I go for? I do not want go for the wind screen though. I also want them to be in the permissible limits.
2. I have heard BHPians changing their Fiesta's stock tires. My car's tires are of MRF (not sure about other details). Is the change necessary for me too? I am little skeptical too about changing the tire profiles. Please advise me the best.
For both the above, let me know whether it is advisable to take from the dealer or from outside shop. How much will be the approx. cost?

Apart from these, I do also have the scuff plates and sporty pedal (FORD originals) in mind. Hope to get them soon.

Regarding Extended Warranty (3rd + 4th), I heard people getting it at approx. Rs. 8300. But my dealer says that it costs Rs. 9880 and he will provide the original receipt too. Am I missing anything here?

These are my queries as of now. I am really thankful for all the help you all provided.
Old 7th January 2010, 15:47   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Ford clearly clarifies that DTE shows approximate distance to drive the vehicle however the calculation is also based on the customer driving style.
So do not take DTE as a foolproof evidence then you may land up in problem, but it can be a guidence to fill up the petrol tank before it drying up!
Old 7th January 2010, 16:03   #1275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ford clearly clarifies that DTE shows approximate distance to drive the vehicle however the calculation is also based on the customer driving style.
So do not take DTE as a foolproof evidence then you may land up in problem, but it can be a guidence to fill up the petrol tank before it drying up!
You know how the DTE demoralises a Petrol Fiesta owner who happens to take a relative's diesel fiesta for long drives? It's crucifying!
Full Tank
Diesel - 600+ Kms
Petrol - 400+ Kms
I might end up sticking a black sticker on the DTE
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks