Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 05:40   #286
BHPian
 
sameer sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 200 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy

I was told that the chevy car package is for 3 years or 45,000 kms whichever comes earlier by the people in Sundaram Motors.

But I wonder if the newer Cruzes have this problem with the brake pads. I drove my Elantra for 99,000 kms and never had to change my brake pads. Same goes for my Dad's Lancer which was driven 1,30,000 kms and my brothers NHC which was driven 1,10,000 kms.
Oh boy guess those cars don't have brake pads!!! The brake pads of Cruze are of inferior quality or they are made to last only 20000kms. This I can say as a couple of other Cruze owners have said they to replaced brake pads in 20K.
sameer sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 17:34   #287
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,016
Thanked: 6,049 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ-Ownership Report_EDIT: 41,000kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I drove my Elantra for 99,000 kms and never had to change my brake pads. Same goes for my Dad's Lancer which was driven 1,30,000 kms and my brothers NHC which was driven 1,10,000 kms.
Was the Elantra a petrol one? I guess the diesels are more susceptible to brake pad changes due to heavier torque as one of the reason.

I changed brake pads of my previous car ( Accent Viva CRDi) at 34,000kms

Whatever the engine variant, though its hard to beileve, guess your lucky that your 3 car's brake pads have lasted 1 Lakh+ kms
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 17:40   #288
BHPian
 
Chrome6Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 137
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ-Ownership Report_EDIT: 41,000kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Was the Elantra a petrol one? I guess the diesels are more susceptible to brake pad changes due to heavier torque as one of the reason.

I changed brake pads of my previous car ( Accent Viva CRDi) at 34,000kms

Whatever the engine variant, though its hard to beileve, guess your lucky that your 3 car's brake pads have lasted 1 Lakh+ kms
You're right it was a petrol.

I want to thank you and Poitive for your comments on your thread earlier. I've booked the Chevy Cruze LT 2 days ago and cancelled my booking of the Hyundai Verna. I took a test drive from a different dealer who offered me the 2011 model and the clutch was much lighter. The gears are awesome too! I'm looking forward to my new Cruze which has been promised on the the 20th. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again.
Chrome6Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 18:17   #289
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 181
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ-Ownership Report_EDIT: 41,000kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Oh boy guess those cars don't have brake pads!!! The brake pads of Cruze are of inferior quality or they are made to last only 20000kms. This I can say as a couple of other Cruze owners have said they to replaced brake pads in 20K.
I changed them at 16000kms...yeah but how an earth can you do over 1 lakh kms without changing the pads,well if you did hen kudos to your driving
np23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 19:48   #290
BHPian
 
patil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shorapur
Posts: 337
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ-Ownership Report_EDIT: 41,000kms Update

Please mention the page number where the update starts in your thread heading so that the members who want to see the updates can straight away go to the update page.
patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 04:34   #291
BHPian
 
sameer sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 200 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil
Please mention the page number where the update starts in your thread heading so that the members who want to see the updates can straight away go to the update page.
Hi which update are you looking at ? Can you specify.
sameer sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 05:07   #292
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 82
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan

Hi which update are you looking at ? Can you specify.
Guess he's referring to the page from where the 41000 km update starts off.
Mubeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 05:39   #293
BHPian
 
sameer sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 200 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubeen

Guess he's referring to the page from where the 41000 km update starts off.
Ok if that's the case the 41000Km update starts from Page 19.
sameer sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 18:28   #294
evo
BHPian
 
evo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kolkata/Shillong
Posts: 755
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ-Ownership Report_EDIT: 41,000kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Yes the chevy care package will cover all the maintenance cost and periodic service cost including Brake Pads oil change etc for 3 years.When I had picked up the Cruze in Dec 2009 this offer was not there. I would have definitely gone for it as my mileage is high. In about 3 years I would clock 75K Kms on the odo. Spending Rs 45k would have been worth it.

As for you I suggest you do the Math ie how many kms do you drive in a year? If your mileage (15k-20k/year) is high then it's advisable to go for the Maintenance package. If your running is like 10k kms a year then it's not worth spending Rs 45k up front as the regular service would not add up to Rs 45000/- in 3 years.

Basically the service/maintenance cost for my Cruze is working out to Rs. 1/- Per Km. So if you are going to cover 45000kms in 3 years go for it.

If you decide to take up the package I suggest you also read the fine print to check if there is any catch. Like if you change the stock fittings (tires/alloys) with after Market will this affect the package.

Keep us posted with your decision!

Brilliant, I was just looking for this answer when I opened this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ting-them.html

Now I know that we should get the package. I`m expecting the car to run about 40,000 in 3 years.

What are the normal service costs?

So the break even on this package is basically a "brake" even.

If the brake pads get changed twice and the discs once, then you cover the cost of the package and whatever services come are free. Would that be correct?

Also is the OIL synthetic or mineral?
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 19:04   #295
BHPian
 
sameer sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 200 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo

Brilliant, I was just looking for this answer when I opened this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ting-them.html

Now I know that we should get the package. I`m expecting the car to run about 40,000 in 3 years.

What are the normal service costs?

So the break even on this package is basically a "brake" even.

If the brake pads get changed twice and the discs once, then you cover the cost of the package and whatever services come are free. Would that be correct?

Also is the OIL synthetic or mineral?
Normal Service costs every 15000kms comes up to RS. 7500/- with Synthetic Oil replacement costing around RS. 5500/- Rest is water wash filter change and labor.

As you will be running your Cruze for 40000kms in 3 years you should go for the Package.
sameer sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 20:22   #296
BHPian
 
SedatedDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 263
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ-Ownership Report_EDIT: 41,000kms Update

Thank you Sameer, for your first impressions on the Cruze. I especially loved your 17" alloys. Black would have been my choice too except for superstition at home.

I chose not to fit 17" alloys for two reasons:
1. Cash strapped.
2. You mentioned wobbling at high speeds. That had me worried.

Someday we should get all Cruzes in South India together.
SedatedDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:36   #297
BHPian
 
darthvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 158
Thanked: 6 Times
Unhappy Re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ-Ownership Report_EDIT: 41,000kms Update

This was a very informative thread, which enabled my father to go in for the Chevy Cruze LTZ myself. Unfortunately, while backing up the car to take it out of the house, my father accidentally scratched the rear right side of the car (the wheel covering primarily) with the gate of our house.

I haven't had a chance to post a picture yet, but I was hoping if someone could give me an idea whether the scratch can be 'repaired' and what this would involve, and how much would it cost. Are they going to repaint the scratched portion? What do they normally do in such a situation?
darthvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 13:20   #298
BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 729
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ-Ownership Report_EDIT: 41,000kms Update

It depends on how deep the scratch is. If it is superficial, they will just buff it up to remove the scratch for free. If it is deep, they will have to probably repaint the area which will cost you labour+charges, though not as much to justify claiming insurance. You can ask your dad to take the car to the dealership or a good body shop if he knows.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:21   #299
BHPian
 
darthvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 158
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ-Ownership Report_EDIT: 41,000kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
It depends on how deep the scratch is. If it is superficial, they will just buff it up to remove the scratch for free. If it is deep, they will have to probably repaint the area which will cost you labour+charges, though not as much to justify claiming insurance. You can ask your dad to take the car to the dealership or a good body shop if he knows.
Thanks. I don't think it is a superficial scratch, but I don't know if its too deep either. I guess I have to take it to the dealership to figure out. Basically I just wanted to know if these 'scratches' can be repaired or rather 'filled up' at all, given the nature of the materials used.
darthvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 17:25   #300
BHPian
 
SedatedDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 263
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ-Ownership Report_EDIT: 41,000kms Update

I had the exact same situation with my Cruze. Only this time I was getting out through a gate and had to also make a turn while moving out. I scraped the wheel arch and the gate lost a lot of red paint which stuck to my car. I went home and used a stain removed that I had bought for the car. I managed to remove most of the marks so that passers by won't see it from the first glance.

But I had deeper scratches near the area where the door lid meets the body. It cost me around 3,000 INR to get this small area repainted. Had I gone to the service center with the full scratches, I am pretty sure they would have charged me close to 5,000 INR.

PS: I have the Diamond White colour.
SedatedDrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ghostrider's Chevrolet Cruze LTZ: Initial Ownership Review ghostrider Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 110 14th October 2016 17:52
Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 2.0 Diesel : TestDrive & Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 978 11th September 2016 18:46
My new Highway Star - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic ;UPDATE : 77,000kms completed !!! narendra_urs Long-Term Ownership Reviews 187 9th April 2016 23:16
Choosing to Cruze - Chevrolet Cruze LTZ AT. (First 500 kms) a.sundaram Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 47 22nd April 2014 16:46
I chose to Cruze, with a white Cruze LTZ ajay mathew Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 21 16th June 2010 15:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks