Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 13:12   #6646
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart19 View Post
Since the monsoons are fast approaching and this is gonna be my first with my figo, I was wondering if there is anything specific to the car I should get it done or take care of before the monsoons come. Mine is a Nov 2011 tdci with 7K on the odo. I have not done anything other than under body coating. Thx in advance.
If you care about keeping interiors dry, and do not bother about how the side window rain shields look, would advise you to put them up for these reasons.
1. keeps the water from seeping in from the back (especially when the rear window roll down issues still persist)
2. if it has suddenly started raining in a humid, hot day, you can keep the windows rolled down by a few inches to prevent mist/fog build up on the glasses.
3. can keep your car parked in the sun with the windows rolled down(to prevent heat buildup), by few centimeters and no one will know.
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 15:41   #6647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart19
Since the monsoons are fast approaching and this is gonna be my first with my figo, I was wondering if there is anything specific to the car I should get it done or take care of before the monsoons come. Mine is a Nov 2011 tdci with 7K on the odo. I have not done anything other than under body coating. Thx in advance.
You can get the thick plastic/rubber mats which will prevent your carpet from becoming wet and soggy. They cost 600-900 for a set of 4. Also get a couple of umbrellas (ones with a collapsible cover) for keeping in the car .
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 18:41   #6648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom_83 View Post
Is this normal behaviour for the TDCI or is it an issue with my 'clutching' ???
Yes it is normal with the 2nd gear. Speed breakers/humps are best taken in 1st gear.
One reason is the gear ratio as well as no turbo boost(at that rpm).
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 00:37   #6649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
thanks for the input. How much your car has run?

I just cant afford to take my car below say 50-55kmph and expect it to run smoothly without changing gear to 4th. Any thing to be checked in my car? It has run 2000 kilo meters as of last week. Any one else face similar drivability in figo diesel?

Thanks
I dont think its a big deal. Normally I switch to 5th gear around 60kmph since thats where its the smoothest and engine RPM is around ~1300 and it pulls cleanly. If you shift earlier around 50 kmph the RPM is more like ~1100 and engine does feel slightly stressed though it does make slow progress. This is normal since that low an rpm there is no turbo boost at all. So I think in regular driving shifting at 60kmph to 5th would make more sense.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 11:31   #6650
Senior - BHPian

So far in my 25K of driving figo two things i noticed regarding shifting gears.
1. AC being switched on adversely affects gear shifting
2. No. of people on board.
Generally with AC switched off and with 2 occupants on board, i am able to shift to 5th gear comfortably at speed of around 40-50Km/hr.
But with 4-5 people and AC switched on its a different story. Engine feels a lot stressed and you will find it hard to shift to 5th at 40-50Km/hr.

Shifting to 5th, infact up shifting to any other gear anywhere between 1500-2000 RM would be the optimal range.
Old 19th May 2012, 15:09   #6651
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I also face the same. It's best to downshift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom_83 View Post
---
However, I do face issues while downshifting to 2nd. When I go over an unusually large speed-breaker and the car is still in motion, I find it difficult to regain momentum without having to engage the 1st gear. If i continue in the 2nd and slip clutch (half-clutch), I feel the engine lugging; so i'm forced to engage the 1st gear while coming off the hump. Is this normal behaviour for the TDCI or is it an issue with my 'clutching' ???

M_83
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 01:53   #6652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed
So far in my 25K of driving figo

Shifting to 5th, infact up shifting to any other gear anywhere between 1500-2000 RM would be the optimal range.
thanks PrideRed. Now your explanation/experience gives me some relief. I was wondering why am I unable to pull car at 55-60kmph @ 5th gear effortlessly. Since my car is driven with AC on most of the times and with 4 or 5 people onboard,i have to revv little hard and reach 60+kmph to sift to 5th gear.

What is the fuel efficiency you get with AC on and 4 or 5 people on board?

Posted from team bhp mobile app
Old 20th May 2012, 11:00   #6653
Senior - BHPian

@recshenoy:
On highway with 4 people i get FE of 16-18. But this was with speed over 150 in many occasions though not always. The AC usage was 50-60%.
So far in highway the worst i got was 14.7 after some spirited driving.
I dont think Figo can deliver lower figures than this no matter how you drive. For sedate driving with 4 people and speeds of 80-90(or <2k RPM) 17-20 should be good.
In city(Bengaluru) i haven't traveled much with 4-5 people, but otherwise most of the time Figo returns FE of 13-14 and at times 15 as well.

The AC on Figo has adverse effect on everything be it FE, Drivability,fun to drive quotient,performance. If possible try driving with AC off sometime and you would be surprised to see difference.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:55   #6654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
@recshenoy:

The AC on Figo has adverse effect on everything be it FE, Drivability,fun to drive quotient,performance. If possible try driving with AC off sometime and you would be surprised to see difference.
Thanks for the details. I am still wondering how people manage to get FE of 20+ with AC. Probably they drive alone so they manage to get such good FE. Even here i have seen DTE numbers showing 900+. I did a tankfull yesterday and DTE showed 650.

Yesterday i managed to put the car in TEST MODE to check RPMs at which i drive. I was surprised to see that i was kind of lugging the car before assuming that the RPM was above 2K based on engine sound. When i put car to show the RPM, found that the car was doing only 1200 RPM where in i had assumed its 1800+. Looking at Tacho tried keeping RPM at 1500-1800 band and it was nice to drive. Generally i used to upshift to 5th at 50 kmph and feel the lugging. yesterday realized that engine RPM falls to below 1500 and causes lug. So took RPM to 1900+ in 4th and shifted and it went pretty smooth. Phew finally so relived that i could understand the engine behavior based on tacho.

Run-in instruction had mentioned that car should not be taken above 3K rpm during initial 5K kilometers. Found that even at 40kmph on 2nd gear its 2.5K. So with normal gear shift car will never exceed 3K rpm.

I had read somewhere that (may be manual) that car is to be taken at more than 3K rpm once in a week? How do we achieve this?
Old 21st May 2012, 15:33   #6655
BHPian

Quote:
I had read somewhere that (may be manual) that car is to be taken at more than 3K rpm once in a week? How do we achieve this?
Drive in 2nd gear. you can easily acheive 3k RPM.
I believe the guidelines do recommend to maintain 3k RPM for 30 seconds once in a week.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 17:19   #6656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the details. I am still wondering how people manage to get FE of 20+ with AC. Probably they drive alone so they manage to get such good FE. Even here i have seen DTE numbers showing 900+. I did a tankfull yesterday and DTE showed 650.
Well 20+ with AC and 4 people is little tough i guess but again not impossible task. If you can maintain speed 80KM/hr on the highway(Which is quite annoying) 20 should be possible.
Again this depends on driving style, road conditions etc.

However one cant expect 20+ if you consistently keep needle over 3 digit mark.
I have made 'n' trips from B'lore to M'lore(Puttur) and so far i can say the average i got would be around 18KM/Ltr.
Old 21st May 2012, 19:52   #6657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Well 20+ with AC and 4 people is little tough i guess but again not impossible task. If you can maintain speed 80KM/hr on the highway(Which is quite annoying) 20 should be possible.
Again this depends on driving style, road conditions etc.

However one cant expect 20+ if you consistently keep needle over 3 digit mark.
I have made 'n' trips from B'lore to M'lore(Puttur) and so far i can say the average i got would be around 18KM/Ltr.
No boss. this is not true. I for one used to travel from Kochi to Trivandrum every week with my wife and two of my friends and the figo used to consistently return 20+ mileage with AC ofcourse.

Speeds are consistently above 70+ with not much gear shifting since traffic is relatively sparse. I take the MC road (for the information of people who know the road) at early mornings and late evenings.

Another thing I felt was that the AC did not have any effect on the engine performance. Maybe because I have put in the race chip.
Old 21st May 2012, 20:13   #6658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
No boss. this is not true. I for one used to travel from Kochi to Trivandrum every week with my wife and two of my friends and the figo used to consistently return 20+ mileage with AC ofcourse.

Speeds are consistently above 70+ with not much gear shifting since traffic is relatively sparse. I take the MC road (for the information of people who know the road) at early mornings and late evenings.

Another thing I felt was that the AC did not have any effect on the engine performance. Maybe because I have put in the race chip.

Sorry if i got you confused. I meant the average of all my travels from B'lore to M'lore only. I have got over 20+ KM/ltr many time and at times when i could not keep the needle below 100-120 i got around 16-17. Also during rainy season,Shiradi ghat section goes bad and average drops . Also there is good amount of 4Lane road and you keep hitting 120-140 .
20+ on figo is possible but your driving styles and speed will have effect.

Well on highway the effect of AC on engine is less compared to city but i definitely feel the extra load on engine.

How many KM's have you run with race chip? Thought of getting one but the stock Figo currently satisfies my hunger.
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:00   #6659
BHPian

Has anyone replaced the stock wiper blades with a Bosch Aerotwins blades? I always felt that the stock wiper blades could have been better.

Can the Bosch Aerotwins blades be fitted on to a figo in the first place, do let me know.
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:39   #6660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Has anyone replaced the stock wiper blades with a Bosch Aerotwins blades? I always felt that the stock wiper blades could have been better.

Can the Bosch Aerotwins blades be fitted on to a figo in the first place, do let me know.
i have fitted Bosch wipers on my Figo. They are definitely better than the stock wipers and guess what they cost only half of that of the stock.

having said this I am not sure if it is Aero twins as you have mentioned but they are bosch wipers and they cost 400 for two wipers.
They are 100% better than the stock wipers.

However I have noticed that when the wipers run at high speeds there is a lag that is experienced but the wipe is really good.
figo_mba is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks