Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:49   #6661
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Has anyone replaced the stock wiper blades with a Bosch Aerotwins blades? I always felt that the stock wiper blades could have been better.

Can the Bosch Aerotwins blades be fitted on to a figo in the first place, do let me know.
Yes, you can fit a Aerotwin set of wipers on the Figo.
I have fitted them on my Figo. To get the same size will be a bit difficult. I compromised on an inch less on the drivers side wiper.
However, the aerotwin is just for looks. The normal Bosch blades which I had replaced the stock ones with, do the same job and are much cheaper.
The stock one are quite bad on wiping .

A picture on my car with the aerotwin is below.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-pa160141.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 22nd May 2012 at 17:53.
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:54   #6662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Yes, you can fit a Aerotwin set of wipers on the Figo.
I have fitted them on my Figo. To get the same size will be a bit difficult. I compromised on an inch less on the drivers side wiper.
However, the aerotwin is just for looks. The normal Bosch blades which I had replaced the stock ones with, do the same job and are much cheaper.
The stock one are quite bad on wiping .

A picture on my car with the aerotwin is below.
Thanks for the quick response. Where do you get them around south Bangalore and whats the approx cost?
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:38   #6663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Where do you get them around south Bangalore and whats the approx cost?
I picked up mine from Metro, Yeshwantpur and costed around 1300 for two blades.
You can check in any accessory shop or in JC Road. But it seems they are on low stock according to the Wiper thread ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...oon-drive.html )
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:47   #6664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Well on highway the effect of AC on engine is less compared to city but i definitely feel the extra load on engine.

How many KM's have you run with race chip? Thought of getting one but the stock Figo currently satisfies my hunger.
I have always felt that the effect of the AC on the figo was less compared to the petrol engines even in city since there is a larger amount of torque in the diesel engines. this is what I tried to say.

the race chip is not 15K kms old.. I agree I did not find the change very dramatic or anything but after driving the modded figo for a month when I tried the normal figo that is when you understand the difference.
The car feel lighter owing to the tremendous acceleration and pull from the engine is just better.

at steep inclines I can see even cars like Laura i20 and Swift diesel behind me when my car just Flies (there is one steep incline on the way to my office and so the race chip delights me every day) .
Old 24th May 2012, 10:29   #6665
Senior - BHPian

Guys... The ignition warming lamp on my 700km run Figo TDCi has come up. Any pointers on what could be the reason?
Old 24th May 2012, 11:28   #6666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels
Guys... The ignition warming lamp on my 700km run Figo TDCi has come up. Any pointers on what could be the reason?
There could be many reasons, best is to get it checked at a ford dealer.
M5_fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 12:14   #6667
BHPian

Did a roof blackout as part of 35K celebrations.

It's a glossy black vinyl job done by my friend & after this was done another Civic & a Vento (another friend's) went for the same job.

Now we have 3 white cars with blacked out roof in the small town of Ottapalam.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figo-black.jpg  

Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 14:52   #6668
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
i have fitted Bosch wipers on my Figo. They are definitely better than the stock wipers and guess what they cost only half of that of the stock.
My experience is quite opposite BTW. I have found the stock ones to be better, not by a country mile, but better than Bosch ones.

The rear wiper still has the stock blade. The front wipers have been replaced with Bosch as Ford won't hand it out as spares & my stock wipers weren't cleaning properly.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:57   #6669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R

Woha looks awesome dude. how much you spent for this modification? What is longevity of the vinyl and how easy or difficult to remove it incase I want to remove it future.

Thank You,

Sent from team-bhp mobile
recshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 16:55   #6670
BHPian

Are the speakers in Figo covered under the 2 year warranty? My left rear speakers makes some strange drrrrrrrrrrrr sound especially when the bass is more while playing some songs. I was wondering if the speaker can be replaced during my 30k servicing which is due next week!!
Old 24th May 2012, 16:58   #6671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Looks uber cool, It seems you have painted the fog lamp console white. Nice looker.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 08:33   #6672
BHPian

The material cost is around Rs 1000/- + Labour. Usual rate quoted is 2500/-

I have not paid anything yet. Still negotiating.

The vinyl is not as thick as the matt black ones & can be removed very easily when heated.
Old 25th May 2012, 09:33   #6673
Senior - BHPian

Your car looks smashing & I have to agree with DRIVE_ADDICT, the white fog lamp console looks much better with the car.

I would really appreciate if you could put up some more pictures of the car in your gallery & post up the details of what all cosmetic changes have been carried out so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post

It's a glossy black vinyl job done by my friend & after this was done another Civic & a Vento (another friend's) went for the same job.

Guys, my Figo's oil change is coming up in a couple of days & so I had inquired with the service center about which oil they use. They told me that Castrol is available with them, some semi-synthetic 5W30 oil costing about 212 INR to the liter & I believe that it is nothing other than Magnatec. Anyways, I also checked on the Castrol website & it seems that they do not have any oil that meets Ford's WSS-M2C913B/C specification, which is actually required in the Figo. Any idea about the missing link here?

However, the bigger concern for me was the non-availability of any other engine oil option with the A.S.S. I am personally not in favor of Castrol & hence have contacted Ford with the following email:

Quote:
Hello,

I am Prakhar this side, from New Delhi & a recent owner of a Ford Figo TDCi.

The vehicle was purchased on 1st March, 2012 from Harpreet Ford (Gurgaon) & according to the service center, the first service is due on 29th May, 2012. Now, though Ford recommends an inspection of the engine oil & a change only if necessary, I personally wish to get the engine oil replaced during the first service.

An inquiry with the service center about which engine oil is used in their premises, revealed that there is only a single type of oil available for the Ford Figo TDCi DuraTorq & the only details provided were that it was an SAE 5W30 viscosity grade engine oil from Castrol.

Further, I was informed that this is possibly the only oil recommended by Ford India for use in a diesel Figo, but I am not satisfied with this claim because I know of other Ford authorized service centers using other brands. Some of these oils are Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W30, Shell Helix HX7 & many others from Motul & Mobil. So, I am confident that there cannot be just one engine oil recommended for use in the 1.4 TDCi motor & hence, following are some questions that I would like a technical answer to & with explicit details.

(Please note that the aforementioned details have also been provided to Ford's helpline & it is upon their suggestion that this email has been written)

1. What are the specifications for an engine oil that can be used in a Ford Figo TDCi with the 1.4 liter diesel motor? Also, can the oil be anything between a mineral, semi-synthetic & synthetic?

Is it necessary to stick to all the specifications or is any oil meeting the SAE 5W30 viscosity grade requirement good enough for the engine? This question becomes all the more relevant when a customer needs to top up the engine oil, especially when one is out on a road trip or to some remote areas.

If a customer does not wish to use Castrol in their vehicle, what are the other engine oils recommended by Ford & how can a service center arrange for other options? If such an arrangement is not possible, is it alright for a customer to carry his/her preferred engine oil (but of course, one that meets the manufacturer's recommendations) for use in the vehicle? If no, what is the way out?

Out of the list of engine oils below, which can be used safely in the 1.4 TDCi motor:
a. Shell Helix Ultra 5W40
b. Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W30
c. Motul 8100 Eco-nergy 5W30
d. Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40
e. Mobil 1 0W40
f. Mobil 1 5W30
g. Mobil 1 5W50

5. Are there any other oils from Shell, Motul or Mobil that meet or exceed Ford's requirements & can be used in the 1.4 TDCi motor?

NOTE:
My car's first service is due on 29th May, 2012 & hence would like to get an urgent response on this email from a qualified technical resource of Ford India.

Thanks & regards,
I haven't received any response yet, despite a reminder yesterday. I will wait for this week to pass, but I am not sure what I can do next. Any pointers?

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 25th May 2012 at 09:35.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:07   #6674
BHPian

What degree of rattle is acceptable rattle?

I am sure all of you must have come across some situation where there is some sort of noise from somewhere.
This question comes from my recent visit to FASS for my rattling issue.
Mine, is a six month old TDCi. I had been on a recent highway trip, and since then, the degree of rattling had increased. Till then, on good roads it was quiet, but on very bumpy roads, I hear sounds from somewhere behind, most probably the C-pillar. But since the trip, on plain roads it was quiet, but even on minor undulations (or a speed bump) I started hearing noise/squeak from the doors and rattle from behind; and when the car is loaded with 4/5 people, there was a contant squeak from the left rear. Irritated by this, I went ahead to the FASS. They did "setting" for the door and TSB for the C-pillar. A day later,when I was picking the car back, I noticed that it was quiet on good roads, quiet on bumps but I did hear something from the rear on bad roads. When I pointed this out to the service guy he asked me to try the other Figos in the FASS and that some amount of noise does exist, and the conversation ended with a disheartening " yeh mercedes thodi hai".

What I wanted to clear out here is, what amount of rattle/squeak is acceptable.
To make things easier, here is a 'Figo rattle level chart' if you will,

0 - No rattle or squeaks at all - under all road and load conditions
1 - Nothing on plain roads and undulations, but rattles little on very bad roads.
2 - Nothing on plain roads , little on undulations, and a lot on bad roads.
3- Little on plain roads, and a lot on undulations and bad roads
4- Constant rattle in all conditions with degree proportional to how bad the road is
5- OMG I am in a rickety rackety old truck

Mine was a level 2 and it has come down to level 1 after the fix.
I am not really paranoid about the rattle when it is level 1 because I dont really hear anything over the music I play, but I want to understand what level of rattle to expect from this car, since this is my first and I do not have a scale of reference. Thanks in advance!

PS: Just to clarify, I usually drive with music on all the time, and I was able to hear the rattle on bad roads over and above the music, before giving it for service; And for measuring the level, it is what you hear when the music is not on.
Old 25th May 2012, 19:10   #6675
Senior - BHPian

When I turn the Headlight switch ON, I am able to feel something from the engine cabin which gives you an illusion that the lamps put on an extra load on some mechanical part.

Same thing happens when you use the high beam flasher on the indicator stalk. Anybody experiencing the same?

Is that normal?

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 25th May 2012 at 19:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks