Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2012, 12:16   #5911
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

My mileage doesn't go above 15kmpl in city traffic. This time I got 17kmpl with half city half mysore highway.

But one thing I notice in all you guys posts is the tyre pressure. 35/36psi is really high pressure. I keep 32psi all round and even then the ride is not soft at all. The car shudders on all broken roads. Even a bridge expansion joints sends a jarring sound through the cabin. I don't know how you guys are driving around with 35/36psi. The ride must be really bouncy.
Old 21st January 2012, 12:36   #5912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
My 20k service is due now. Getting few rattling noises in the dash and in the left rear.

I had engine stall only once so far. Is it necessary to do the ECM firmware upgrade and clutch adjustment or leave it. Request bhpian's advice on this.

Did a long drive last week and no problems, but my mind subconsciously started thinking that the engine will die when changing gears at speeds. So never did a gear change while overtaking.
I got three stalls, so asked the ECM update on my 10K service. I drove only less than 1000 KM since then, so won't be able to comment on whether the problem is solved. I haven't find any noticeable difference in driving after the service. The car is driving smooth as usual and i hope i will get the same consistent mileage i am getting so far.
Old 21st January 2012, 12:41   #5913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
My mileage doesn't go above 15kmpl in city traffic. This time I got 17kmpl with half city half mysore highway.

But one thing I notice in all you guys posts is the tyre pressure. 35/36psi is really high pressure. I keep 32psi all round and even then the ride is not soft at all. The car shudders on all broken roads. Even a bridge expansion joints sends a jarring sound through the cabin. I don't know how you guys are driving around with 35/36psi. The ride must be really bouncy.
I guess you drive alone so 36 might be bouncy. I drive with 2-3 on board.

In any case I should check how 32psi feels. I feel 36psi is a little bouncy but not too uncomfortable.

My city is not a metro or anything so there is no traffic jams and hence mileage is better. 15 kmpl would be really low for me.
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:34   #5914
Senior - BHPian

I have driving my Figo tDCi in tirunelvel for 35 K km. Now I've driven in Bangalore for 1000 km. I have noticed a distinct loss of power in Bangalore. Overtaking is not as easy and gears changes has increased.
This set me wondering if the stalling issues were due to the lower air density in higher altitude. Or perhaps ambient air quality or fuel quality.
May be we should see if there is a geographic distribution to stalling issues.
Old 22nd January 2012, 20:48   #5915
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
I will take a photo of the rust formation tomorrow and put it up here.

Rust is formed on the right rear door just at the end of the bottom window line
This is a small spec the size of a small grasshopper.
I am myself attaching pictures of all my doors. The wheel hubs have formed rust as well, but they can be painted w/o much issues.

[ATTACH=]Rear left door[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=]Rear right door[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=]Driver's door[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=]Co-passenger door[/ATTACH]

What do you folks say?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-1.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-2.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-3.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-4.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd January 2012 at 20:49.
Old 22nd January 2012, 21:05   #5916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530
I have driving my Figo tDCi in tirunelvel for 35 K km. Now I've driven in Bangalore for 1000 km. I have noticed a distinct loss of power in Bangalore. Overtaking is not as easy and gears changes has increased.
This set me wondering if the stalling issues were due to the lower air density in higher altitude. Or perhaps ambient air quality or fuel quality.
That's an interesting observation. What's the average speed like in tirunelveli and Bangalore. I am not sure the difference in altitude (in this case ) could result in this.
Old 22nd January 2012, 22:32   #5917
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530
The decrease in power could be mainly because of fuel adulteration. If you fly your car to europe and drive it there, you will instantly feel more power on your car.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th January 2012 at 12:44. Reason: Removing arbitrary figure.
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:34   #5918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101

The decrease in power could be mainly because of fuel adulteration. If you fly your car to europe and drive it there, you will instantly feel more power on your car.
Mustang, what you say could be true, but being fairly familiar with both the places in discussion i doubt that could be the reason.. Tirunelveli is no Europe

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th January 2012 at 12:44. Reason: quoted post edited
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:48   #5919
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar

Mustang, what you say could be true, but being fairly familiar with both the places in discussion i doubt that could be the reason.. Tirunelveli is no Europe
But it could be that true that fuel adulteration in bangalore is much more than fuel adulteration in Tirunelveli.
Old 23rd January 2012, 07:27   #5920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101

But it could be that true that fuel adulteration in bangalore is much more than fuel adulteration in Tirunelveli.
That's exactly what I said I can't believe.. i think it could be the other way round as Bangalore probably has more consumers who are aware of such things.. Anyway, leaving aside the question on fuel, what i would want to know is when i feel some difference in such things, even within the same city, is there any objective way to measure it ?
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:31   #5921
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar
Anyway, leaving aside the question on fuel, what i would want to know is when i feel some difference in such things, even within the same city, is there any objective way to measure it ?
A dyno perhaps. It would give you an idea of the HP the car is generating and also the torque in Nm.

It could also be true that petrol pump owners are more aware of adulteration techniques in big cities like bangalore. Try a shell fuel station and see if it makes any difference.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:32   #5922
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
I have done 8000kms after the update (41K on odo now).
My past 6 FTF mileages are 19.2, 19, 20.4,19.6,18.9,19.4 kmpl.
This has been the consistent mileage that I have been getting.
I do not think there is any drop in mileages. Since I do a FTF mileage check every 2-3 weeks I would have noticed it by now.
Tyre pressure is 36psi.
Nice to see the consistency. I did a long drive last week and the mileage was 19.44 with 34 & 38 Psi on front & rear. Complete highway and few very bad roads. Speed between 100 to 120.
While returning there was huge jam near Chennai, did bumper to bumper traffic for 1 hour 20 minutes and the mileage came down to 15.5 .
Both tank full method.

I always use IOCL and so far not changed to any other pump.
I am planning for the software upgrade in the 20k service next week. Feel traffic jam is the most influencing factor than others.

@sheel - Did you visit the body shop and what was their observation.

Last edited by RGK : 23rd January 2012 at 11:36.
Old 23rd January 2012, 12:52   #5923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am myself attaching pictures of all my doors. The wheel hubs have formed rust as well, but they can be painted w/o much issues.
Terrible, I say.

If you want to stop the rust, it will have to be DIY. Taking it to the dealer will be a waste of time and money. they'll do a superficial cover-up job.

Take off surrounding trim and with a tooth brush and detergent and scrub the joints clean as you will need to assess the real rust.

Use a broken hacksaw blade and ruthlessly scrape off the rust and 2 cms of surrounding paint. Do it till you reach bare metal. Where it goes under the joint sealant, follow aggressively.
Rub down with 320 emery paper and wipe down with thinner.
Apply a couple of coats of two component epoxy primer with a brush. Let dry. Epoxy primer will easily protect it for 6-7 years.

Get the appropriate matched colour coat of paint available in limited quantity from paint shops and brush touch to cover the epoxy. A couple of layers of colour coats followed by an application of solvent alone, with a brush (for blending) should cover up the repair. You can use Alkyd (ASPA type), NC or even 2K paint. Avoid the blending step with 2K.

After a week or so, use a cutting compound to rub down and blend the repair with the surrounding. As most of it is in inconspicuous areas, it will not be noticeable. The important thing is to protect the metal from rust. I have done similar work and it is not difficult. So just go ahead and do it.
basky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:02   #5924
Senior - BHPian

Me too have not experienced any drop after update. The car drives better now is what i think.
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:54   #5925
Senior - BHPian

Terrible, to say the least, considering the time it has actually spent on the roads.

@ALL: Has anybody else also faced the issue of rust with their Figos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

What do you folks say?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks