Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 09:24   #6046
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

I hear rattle from the left suspension over broken roads. I made the technician notice the same and he brushed off saying its normal. Whereas a loud 'chunk' kind of sound comes from the font right suspension going over big potholes or high speed breakers. This is the latest and haven't got chance to visit F.A.S.S to address the same. It seems whenever the suspension is supposed to stretch to extremes, the sound comes.

Along with these, the regular rattles and squeaks from the rear doors and left hand side of the dash are making my drive irritating. Also the roads have a major role to play for all these issues IMO. They are simply horrible. We are not late due to traffic jams but the roads which can give moon craters a bit of shame!
Old 15th February 2012, 13:12   #6047
BHPian

I really feel petrified seeing all those niggles being reported by the previous owners. :( These small kinks are way worse than the big defects.

Anyway, I booked the Figo Titanium today at Harpreet Ford Gurgaon. Since I am getting the car partially financed, I'll have to wait till I get the cheque from the bank, before I can get the delivery. All I could muster up was a 10% off on insurance, free essential kit (includes mud flaps and floor mats) and free reveres parking camera or accessories worth 3500/-.

I don't think reverse camera makes any sense so I'll opt for the accessories. Someone please suggest me something which accessories to opt for. The titanium version is fully loaded, even the USB cable comes pre-installed. So looks like it will be seat covers (after paying 1000 rs more since the covers cost odd 4500).

Also I need suggestion on the insurance type. The zero depreciation version costs 21K and the normal comprehensive cover costs odd 18K (10% discount on both available). Which one should I opt for ?
Old 15th February 2012, 16:51   #6048
BHPian

Suggestions Required

I have a FORD FIGO 1.4 ZXi which has done around 17K on the odo. The Brakes have been making Grinding noise for quite some time now. I reported this issue during First Free Service @ 10,000 Km to Bhagat Ford, Chandigarh. At that time, the guys at Bhagat Ford simply cleaned the Brake Pads and told that, it should be Okay. But, the noise did not go away. I did not go back to them to show the issue, as the noise was not a very big irritant to me at that time. Of late, the noise has increased and so I decided to show it to FORD again.

I visited Harpreet Ford, Moti Nagar, Delhi and told them about the issue. At first, even they suggested to just clean the Brake pads. I told him that, the ‘cleaning’ has been done earlier too, but that did not solve the issue. So, the Service Assistant asked the Engineer to ‘check kar liyo Brakes’ on my insistence rather than just cleaning them. After some time, I was told that the Brake Pads need to be replaced as they have become hard and it cannot be done under warranty, and would be carried out as a paid job. I immediately protested, and went to meet the Service Manager, Mr. Vinod Chowdhary. His first query was : How old is the car, and how much Km it has done. The car is 10 months old, and had done 16K at that time. He told me that he cannot replace the brake pads under warranty, and when I asked why, I was told that the warranty is only for 10,000 Km.I immediately told him, that I had reported the same issue earlier too at Bhagat Ford Chandigarh, when the car had done 9900 Km in October 2011 - why wasn’t the 'hard brake pad' issue reported at that point of time? At that time, they simply cleaned the brake pads and which did not solve the issue.

He then asked me to get him the Service History, and said he will see if he can get the approval (probably from his manager) to replace the Brake Pads under warranty. He was not able to get the required approval, and refused to do the job under warranty. He asked me to take up the issue directly with Ford or Bhagat Ford, Chandigarh, as it was their duty to replace the faulty part under warranty when I first reported it.

I emailed Ford Customer Care, and below is the mail chain I exchanged with them:

To: xxxx@yahoo.com
Cc: Sheena Jacob <dcrc_hford@thesachdevgroup.com>; Vinod Choudhary <jobcard1@thesachdevgroup.com>; gmservice@thesachdevgroup.com <gmservice@thesachdevgroup.com>;
Subject: Reply from Ford India : 800015863
Sent: Tue, Feb 14, 2012 5:13:02 AM
Dear Mr.Pushpreet,
This is subsequent to our earlier correspondence regarding your vehicle bearing registration number XXXXXXXXX.

We again wish to retraite that necessary clarifications have been provided to your goodself in the trailing mail.We also wish to inform you that this department is a single point contact point for all customer queries/grievances which are addressed to the plant.The concerns are recieved then it is discussed with our regional team and our team at the plant and then a collective decision is taken and conveyed to the customer through this department ,we once again regret to inform you that we would not be able to support you in this regard . We kindly request you contact our dealership and provide your approvals so as to carry out the necessary repair job

Feel free to contact Mr.Vinod Service Manager of Harpreet Ford motinagar /Sheena Dcrc Manager of dealership for any further assistance in future .
Assuring you of our best services and continuous support at all times.
Thanks & Regards
Awanish, FIL-Customer Relations,
Phone -044 67442414Toll Free No 1800-425-2500 BSNL/MTNL 6000-2500 Add STD codeofyour state capital

To: "Customer, Care (.)" <custmail@ford.com>
Cc: Sheena Jacob <dcrc_hford@thesachdevgroup.com>; Vinod Choudhary <jobcard1@thesachdevgroup.com>; "gmservice@thesachdevgroup.com" <gmservice@thesachdevgroup.com>
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: Reply from Ford India : 800015863

Hi,
This is clearly not a wear and tear issue - brake pads have NOT worn out. As per the dealer, they have become hard, and this is the reason for the grinding noise. Brake pads becoming hard within 10000Km is nothing but a clear manufacturing defect.
Brakes are not making noise because of wear and tear. The noise is not something new, which has started coming now. Is FORD saying that, the brake pads they provide do not last even a distance of 10,000 Km? And, how logical is it for you to bring the Alloys into the picture? I find it absolutely absurd to even call it remotely related to Alloy wheels. For your information, I am using standard 14inch alloy wheels and not any oversized ones.
Under any circumstances, you don’t expect the brakes to start making noises with only 10,000 Km. Clearly, it is the quality of the product which is in question here and that is the reason why I am asking for a free replacement rather than a paid job.
It is highly unprofessional on FORD’s part to deny the warranty of a faulty part, as a wear and tear issue – when it can be clearly seen that it is not the wear and tear which has caused it.
Regards,
Pushpreet

To: " xxxx@yahoo.com
Cc: Sheena Jacob <dcrc_hford@thesachdevgroup.com>; Vinod Choudhary <jobcard1@thesachdevgroup.com>; "gmservice@thesachdevgroup.com" <gmservice@thesachdevgroup.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:15 PM
Subject: Reply from Ford India : 800015863

Dear Mr.Pushpreet,
This is subsequent to our earlier correspondence regarding your vehicle bearing registration number XXXXXXXXX.
We had done a detailed analysis of your concern and had a detailed discussion with our dealership & with our regional service team regarding your concern.We understand from the service records that the said car had reported to Bhagat Ford Chandigarh on [FONT='Courier New']01/10/2011@9914 Kms for second service - dealership carried out as per schedule ,Brake noise -Cleaned brake pads,Noise from rear side -performed necessary repairs ,wheel alignment and balancing not carried out as non ford alloy wheel fixed ,We wish to inform you that we only recomend ford approved accessories/parts for our vehicles the reason being,that these are tested and validated as per specifications.If the vehicle is fitted with any non ford approved accessories or parts it could cause serious consequential damage to the other related parts,thus hampering performance,the warranty also becomes null and void in these circumstances.Request your understanding on this.We also wish to inform you that brake pads being an wear tear part does not fall under the purview of warranty and hence regret to inform you that the said part cannot be replaced under warranty ( Refer owners manual "warranty & service guide").We kindly request you contact our dealership and provide your approvals so as to carry out the necessary repair job
Feel free to contact Mr.Vinod Service Manager of Harpreet Ford motinagar /Sheena Dcrc Manager of dealership for any further assistance in future .
Assuring you of our best services and continuous support at all times.
Thanks & Regards
Awanish,
FIL-Customer Relations,
Phone -044 67442414
Toll Free No 1800-425-2500 BSNL/MTNL 6000-2500 Add STD code of your state capital

Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 9:35 AM
To: Customer, Care (.)
Cc: jobcard1@thesachdevgroup.com
Subject: Brake Pads issue - XXXXXXXXXX
Hi,
I have a FORD Figo 1.4 Diesel ZXi, which was bought on 12th March 2011 from Bhagat Ford, Chandigarh and has done 16900 Km till date.
On 4th feb 2012, I went to Harpreet Ford, Moti Nagar, Delhi for a recurring issue of grinding Noise from the Brakes.
On inspection by the Engineer at Harpreet Ford, I was told that the Brake Pads would need to be changed, as they have gone hard and a change in Brake Pads should solve the issue. Since, the car has done only 16900 Km, and is a little over 10 months old I expected this to be done under warranty by Ford. But, Harpreet Ford refused the warranty claim by me, as according to them, the warranty of the Brake Pads is just 10,000 Km and I have crossed the limit. I immediately told them, that I had reported the same issue earlier too at Bhagat Ford Chandigarh, when the car had done 9900 Km in October 2011 - why wasn’t the 'hard brake pad' issue reported at that point of time? At that time, they simply cleaned the brake pads and which did not solve the issue.
Now, when I go again for the same issue, I am being told that the warranty of the brake pad is only for 10000 Km and the brake pads cannot be replaced under warranty now. I think, it is highly unprofessional on part of Ford to refuse the warranty claim. First – brake pads supposed to have a longer life than this, I have another car at home, and its Brake pads were replaced only after 60,000 Km. Expecting me to get these changed at my own cost at only 16,000 Km is totally unfair. Now, even if you say that the warranty is only 10,000 Km, it is wrong and unjustified to NOT inform me of the issue when I reported it when the brake pads were under warranty, and then ask me to get them replaced at my own cost, when according to you the warranty has expired.
I am attaching the Service history record at Bhagat Ford, Chandigarh, when I reported the issue at first, and the car had done only 9900 Km. Also, I am attaching the Customer Information sheet from Harpreet Ford, where they have recommended to get the brake pads replaced.
I expect Ford to take a note of this issue seriously, and help me get the Brake pads replaced under warranty.
Regards,
Pushpreet

They have simply refused to entertain a genuine complaint.
Can you please guide me, how to proceed further with this issue? I find it absolutely unjustified on their part to refused the warranty of a issue in a poor quality product as a wear and tear issue.

What is the guarantee, that even if I do get it replaced myself and the issue comes up again, they will not refuse the warranty again?
Old 15th February 2012, 19:52   #6049
BHPian

Re: Suggestions Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinchak View Post
I have a FORD FIGO 1.4 ZXi which has done around 17K on the odo. The Brakes have been making Grinding noise for quite some time now. I reported this issue during First Free Service @ 10,000 Km to Bhagat Ford, Chandigarh. At that time, the guys at Bhagat Ford simply cleaned the Brake Pads and told that, it should be Okay. But, the noise did not go away. I did not go back to them to show the issue, as the noise was not a very big irritant to me at that time. Of late, the noise has increased and so I decided to show it to FORD again.

They have simply refused to entertain a genuine complaint.
Can you please guide me, how to proceed further with this issue? I find it absolutely unjustified on their part to refused the warranty of a issue in a poor quality product as a wear and tear issue.

What is the guarantee, that even if I do get it replaced myself and the issue comes up again, they will not refuse the warranty again?
My mom's car too had the similar grinding sound coming from the brakes.The service guys here in Goa cleaned the break pads and gave the car back stating that if the noise came back to return the car.Since the 10k/2nd service was due we gave the car for servicing and the culprit was found to be the brake callipers! They told they would replace it free under warranty!(no hassle!) Since my mom needed the car back soon we could not do the job on that day, will take it this saturday though.

I am sure the brake pads or whichever faulty part is covered under warranty!
Going to a different F.A.S.S is recommended or just email the MD of Ford,Michael Boneham.i am sure he will solve your problem!

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 15th February 2012 at 19:55.
Old 15th February 2012, 21:01   #6050
BHPian

Re: Suggestions Required

Quote:
I have a FORD FIGO 1.4 ZXi which has done around 17K on the odo. The Brakes have been making Grinding noise for quite some time now.
I bought my Figo from Harpreet Ford, Motinagar and had my first service there. They are daylight robbers. Complaining to Ford India would not help you since Harpreet Ford is close to their heart. They scratched my windscreen and made me replace my windscreen at my insurance's cost. Due to which, I lost my No Claims on my insurance. The entire experience of dealing with them was disgusting.

I suggest you to go to Delhi Ford, Vasant Kunj. They are relatively new and are trying their best to overcome monopoly of Harpreet Ford.
Old 15th February 2012, 21:07   #6051
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry

I bought my Figo from Harpreet Ford, Motinagar and had my first service there. They are daylight robbers. Complaining to Ford India would not help you since Harpreet Ford is close to their heart. They scratched my windscreen and made me replace my windscreen at my insurance's cost. Due to which, I lost my No Claims on my insurance. The entire experience of dealing with them was disgusting.

I suggest you to go to Delhi Ford, Vasant Kunj. They are relatively new and are trying their best to overcome monopoly of Harpreet Ford.
I agree with you, delhi ford vasant kunj is the best for all your service center needs. The SA sandeep and manish are from south city and they are good and experienced.
Old 16th February 2012, 02:40   #6052
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,
Any idea how is FORD A.S.S in Mangalore (Cauvery Ford). I was thinking of buying Figo Diesel. but looking at A.S.S problem here i am little worried. Since in Mangalore I dont even have an option of going to another dealer. At least if its a MSIL car, i can get it serviced locally or one of 3-4 A.S.S available around city but for a FORD there is not any option AFAIK. So thinking if it is better to go for RITZ than Figo.
Old 16th February 2012, 13:49   #6053
Senior - BHPian

@Blow Horn OK: Figo Titanium has very good seats. Don't spoil them by putting seat covers.
@dhinchak: I solve the brake noise problem by pressure washing the brake discs whenever I wash the car, at least 2 times a week. This prevents the noise from recurring. Don't change your brake pads so early on.
Old 16th February 2012, 15:42   #6054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushantV View Post
Anyway, I booked the Figo Titanium today at Harpreet Ford Gurgaon. All I could muster up was a 10% off on insurance, free essential kit (includes mud flaps and floor mats) and free reveres parking camera or accessories worth 3500/-.

Also I need suggestion on the insurance type. The zero depreciation version costs 21K and the normal comprehensive cover costs odd 18K (10% discount on both available). Which one should I opt for ?
You can do a world of haggle on the insurance. I got it (it was 18 months back though) for 12k on my 1.4 Titanium. They had asked for 18k initially. However, when it went to the line that i would get insurance from outside for 12k, they agreed.
Ford never insists that you have to get insurance from the dealer. you can get it from whoever you like. But it would be only convenient for you if the insurance is cashless and managed with the tie up of the dealer so that in future, you wouldnt have to run around. So do a bit of research and i am sure you can re negotiate for a better deal.

As for the seats, my advice will also be not to go for seat covers. You dont need a reverse parking camera on a Figo. Parking sensor would be nice, even though you dont need that also very desperately. (Though i have it installed in mine due to the tricky parking slot in my home)

Why don't you consider fog lamps (or do they come fitted in the new figos? My 2010 model did not)
Else for accessories, you can consider a GPS Navigator and pay the difference
Old 16th February 2012, 15:55   #6055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
You can do a world of haggle on the insurance. I got it (it was 18 months back though) for 12k on my 1.4 Titanium. They had asked for 18k initially. However, when it went to the line that i would get insurance from outside for 12k, they agreed.
Ford never insists that you have to get insurance from the dealer. you can get it from whoever you like. But it would be only convenient for you if the insurance is cashless and managed with the tie up of the dealer so that in future, you wouldnt have to run around. So do a bit of research and i am sure you can re negotiate for a better deal.

As for the seats, my advice will also be not to go for seat covers. You dont need a reverse parking camera on a Figo. Parking sensor would be nice, even though you dont need that also very desperately. (Though i have it installed in mine due to the tricky parking slot in my home)

Why don't you consider fog lamps (or do they come fitted in the new figos? My 2010 model did not)
Else for accessories, you can consider a GPS Navigator and pay the difference
Well a little confusion there. The fog lamps are already there. Don't need the parking sensor so chucking that out of the list. I didn't find anything worthy in the accessories list other than the USB cable but the current Titanium comes fitted with the USB cable.

The seat covers that come with figo are very nice so even seat covers can be skipped. I'll see if I can swap the 3500/- free flowing buffer to accommodate the 3M sunfilm since I'll anyway be going for that.

The GPS navigator is not needed since my phone is big enough and can easily beat the best navigators out there in the market. (samasung galaxy note, with the mapmyindia 6.2 maps loaded)

I intend to buy the insurance from the dealer for the same reason. The claims might be easier to get settled. I checked with the quotes outside and found that after the discounts from the dealer (10% actually), its at par with the quotes that I got from outside. And the dealer agreed to offer me accessories worth 3500, if I buy the insurance from him (which indirectly is a discount).

Would you mind sharing what other goodies were offered to you, when you bought your ride ? Also in your 18 months stint with the Figo, do you wanna suggest anything that I should directly do ? may be under-body coating, air pump or whatever :P I am just shooting arrows in the dark :P
Old 16th February 2012, 16:24   #6056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushantV View Post
I'll see if I can swap the 3500/- free flowing buffer to accommodate the 3M sunfilm since I'll anyway be going for that.

Would you mind sharing what other goodies were offered to you, when you bought your ride ? Also in your 18 months stint with the Figo, do you wanna suggest anything that I should directly do ? may be under-body coating, air pump or whatever :P I am just shooting arrows in the dark :P
Sunfilms!! Yes, thats what you should go in for. I completely missed it. Get a good set of sun films. You might over flow the bracket of 3500 though. But it is worth it.

You should definitely get the underbody coating done. It was given to me free of cost along with the basic kit of mud flaps and mats. I wasn't offered any other goodies as i bought the car through military canteen rates and he did not have any margin to make a profit with. Couple that with the insurance deal, if i had asked for more goodies than what he had already given me, he would've got me arrested for robbing him in day light

Other than this, i dont suggest anything more you should do with a Titanium model. It drives like a dream and has been hassle free for me except for the ground clearance issue. If you drive sedately, it is actually not an issue. Be careful over big humps. I had a few niggles of involuntary engine shutdowns (peculiar only with diesel models) in the beginnning, but has not re surfaced yet after my 30k servicing. Its all happy miles now.

And i would suggest that you drive with the AC on always. This will keep your car neat and tidy without ingress of dust and grime to your interiors and music system

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 16th February 2012 at 16:26. Reason: Typo correction
Old 16th February 2012, 16:30   #6057
BHPian

Hey SushantV,

I agree with dhanushmenon. Get sun flims even if it overshoots 3,500 bucks. Figo's large windows turns it into an oven. Throughout this winters, whenever I felt too cold at my home and when heater didn't help me, I simply got inside my Figo. It's nirvana!

I never realized how hot my Figo becomes during summers thanks to its quick and excellent AC. Now I'm thinking to get sun films myself to cut down AC running and increase mileage.

I see that you live in Gurgaon. Please do report here about brand, specs and cost of the sun films if you decide to get them. It will help me. Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 16:57   #6058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
My mom's car too had the similar grinding sound coming from the brakes.The service guys here in Goa cleaned the break pads and gave the car back stating that if the noise came back to return the car.Since the 10k/2nd service was due we gave the car for servicing and the culprit was found to be the brake callipers! They told they would replace it free under warranty!(no hassle!) Since my mom needed the car back soon we could not do the job on that day, will take it this saturday though.

I am sure the brake pads or whichever faulty part is covered under warranty!
Going to a different F.A.S.S is recommended or just email the MD of Ford,Michael Boneham.i am sure he will solve your problem!
As per Ford Customer Care, Brake Pads being a wear and Tear part, is not covered under warranty. Clearly, they themselves do not know what is covered and what is not. Harpreet Ford initially told me that warranty of Brake pads is 10K (probably to get the monkey of his back, after seeing that the car has done 16K). They just need a reason to decline the warranty (mention of After Market alloys to decline Brake Pad warranty!!).

Will try the email to MD. But, I am quite certain that wont solve the issue either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I agree with you, delhi ford vasant kunj is the best for all your service center needs. The SA sandeep and manish are from south city and they are good and experienced.
I am not sure how helpful it would be, because denying the warranty of brake pads is a very easy task for them.

Moreover, as told to me by Service Manager at Harpreet Ford - all the warranty replacement charges are reimbursed to the dealer by FORD, so not sure even the other dealer would be willing to take a chance on that, as ultimately he also has to get it claimed.

Anyways, I will try that too - I have already had a disgusting experience with Ford A. S. S. (Bhagat Ford - they would not even take your car for a Road Test to check the reported issues unless you insist on it.) Harpreet Ford was slightly better, lets see how Delhi Ford is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
@dhinchak: I solve the brake noise problem by pressure washing the brake discs whenever I wash the car, at least 2 times a week. This prevents the noise from recurring. Don't change your brake pads so early on.
This seems like treating the Symptom, rather than the problem.
Old 16th February 2012, 17:00   #6059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Hey SushantV,

I agree with dhanushmenon. Get sun flims even if it overshoots 3,500 bucks. Figo's large windows turns it into an oven. Throughout this winters, whenever I felt too cold at my home and when heater didn't help me, I simply got inside my Figo. It's nirvana!

I never realized how hot my Figo becomes during summers thanks to its quick and excellent AC. Now I'm thinking to get sun films myself to cut down AC running and increase mileage.

I see that you live in Gurgaon. Please do report here about brand, specs and cost of the sun films if you decide to get them. It will help me. Thanks
Just make sure, when the Sunfilm is being applied on the rear window with the defogger, you are careful. When I got it fitted, the guy applying it used a blade to cut the film and ended up cutting the defogger 'lines'.
Old 16th February 2012, 18:02   #6060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just make sure, when the Sunfilm is being applied on the rear window with the defogger, you are careful. When I got it fitted, the guy applying it used a blade to cut the film and ended up cutting the defogger 'lines'.
I think its not worth taking the risk of cutting each and every line of the defogger and end up cutting the lines of the defogger itself. You can rather apply it atop the defogger and the defogger works fine as such

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks