Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:18   #16
BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 914
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: What happens to 'New Tyres' exchanged straight from the showroom?

An interesting query. It got me thinking. I would agree with GTO, that being businessmen, the dealer will sell it at a profit or at maximum profit he can extract. An otherwise 30-100km run tyre should be as good as new unless there is some body or sidewall damage.
Most new cars which are delivered to the yard or from yard to customers have had their tyres legally run for at least 50 kms (and illegally run for God knows how many more.)

Given the knowledge that the tyres are as good as new, I would insist on a discount from the dealer, else buy brand new unused ones.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:32   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default Re: What happens to 'New Tyres' exchanged straight from the showroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tyre shops - like most small retailers - are very street-smart businessmen. Most will sell these as new. Personally, I'd expect a small discount, but would otherwise consider these 10 km driven tyres as new only.
I learned at the dealership where I bought my Alto that they disconnect the meters when the odo reaches a certain number. Because sometimes they unload the cars at a railhead quite some distance away and drive them to the yard. It is a simple plug in connection nowadays, unlike the old generation cars where it was connected through a worm gear underneath the gear box.

I bet we can't tell the difference whether the tyre has done 10 KM or a 100.

I bet these will most likely be sold by shops which are famous for tyre/alloy wheel upgrades after taking delivery of car, and which offer a good "deal" on new tyres.

Last edited by Gansan : 2nd January 2015 at 15:55.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:44   #18
BHPian
 
GypsyKing_775's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 39
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: What happens to 'New Tyres' exchanged straight from the showroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I learned at the dealership where I bought my Alto that they disconnect the meters when the odo reaches a certain number. Because sometimes they unload the cars at a railhead quite some distance away and drive them to the yard. It is a simple plug in connection nowadays, unlike the old generation cars where it was connected through a worm gear underneath the gear box.

I bet we can't tell the difference whether the tyre has done 10 KM or a 100.
Yes.
I have seen this happen.
May daily commute route is from the Old Pune-mumbai Highway, where there are several trailers carrying cars parked near a specific area near Somatne phata toll plaza.
Then these guys unload the cars, fill some petrol using a shabby looking Can & then drive them away to the yard god knows where.(not sure where or how they manipulate the ODO or even if they really do it.).
So now it is totally unsafe to judge a good new tyre on our car as new one!
GypsyKing_775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:52   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 262
Thanked: 108 Times
Smile Re: What happens to 'New Tyres' exchanged straight from the showroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post

However, If these are sold for lesser price than the original new ones, I believe that is as good as being 'honest'. If we know of such places, wouldn't it be a better place to source tires from?
I guess every city has a place where you can get these kinds of used stuff. If you are in Mumbai, then Kurla and Oshiwara are typical places where you can easily get used/exchanged tyres. It really makes sense for people on a budget or for people who don't want to spend too much for such stuff. I did this for my two wheeler, when the tyres were due to be replaced. A year has passed by and I am not complaining.
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 03:24   #20
BHPian
 
kingofmyworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad / pensylvania.
Posts: 788
Thanked: 248 Times
Default Re: What happens to 'New Tyres' exchanged straight from the showroom?

There is no way you can figure out if the tyres sold at the tyre dealer are brand new or branded as new. The only way I can think of about dealing with this issue of brand new or branded new is to pick tires that are not supplied to manufacturers. Since most manufacturers roll out cars from the production line with budget tires, these buy back tyre mafia happens only with those specific mode/brand tyres that come with the car. I'm sure we havemultiple other brand/models options to choose from than the ones that come with the car. Michellin is the best bet since AFAIk most cars don'y comes with michellins.
kingofmyworld is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 21:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,800 Times
Default Re: What happens to 'New Tyres' exchanged straight from the showroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
There is no way you can figure out if the tyres sold at the tyre dealer are brand new or branded as new. The only way I can think of about dealing with this issue of brand new or branded new is to pick tires that are not supplied to manufacturers. Since most manufacturers roll out cars from the production line with budget tires, these buy back tyre mafia happens only with those specific mode/brand tyres that come with the car. I'm sure we havemultiple other brand/models options to choose from than the ones that come with the car. Michellin is the best bet since AFAIk most cars don'y comes with michellins.
It's simple to figure out which dealer is selling you used as new!

Call up the dealer and tell him you are buying a new car and want to exchange the tyres. If he quotes really high buyback values compared to the price of a new tyre or another dealer, then you know he will be selling it as new!

If you are buying a tyre which is the exact same spec and model as the factory fitted tyre, then you may need to be careful.

If you are buying an upsize or a model (like Yokohama, Michelin P3ST) which dont come as standard, then you are probably ok.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 14:09   #22
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: What happens to 'New Tyres' exchanged straight from the showroom?

Is there a website for tyre sale n exchange, just like battery bhai for batteries?
siddutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 21:19   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,304
Thanked: 2,713 Times
Default Re: What happens to 'New Tyres' exchanged straight from the showroom?

Does the buyback price differ according to the thread left on the tyre or is it more or less the same value for a tyre run couple of thousand kms to a tyre run 40k kms ,but has enough thread left for another 10-15k kms?
tharian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 17:00   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 595
Thanked: 632 Times
Default Re: What happens to 'New Tyres' exchanged straight from the showroom?

Most reputed Tyre shops take back tyres from brand new cars with only a few 100 or so km on the odo, any thing older than that is refused, or you get diverted to a second hand tyre dealer. In Pune these tyres called unwrapped new tyres by tyre dealers are taken as buyback for about Rs 2000 to Rs 2500 and resold for Rs 3000, tyre sizes that do not have a demand in the aftermarket are usually not taken even from brand new cars.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 08:58   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 66
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: What happens to 'New Tyres' exchanged straight from the showroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Most reputed Tyre shops take back tyres from brand new cars with only a few 100 or so km on the odo, any thing older than that is refused, or you get diverted to a second hand tyre dealer. In Pune these tyres called unwrapped new tyres by tyre dealers are taken as buyback for about Rs 2000 to Rs 2500 and resold for Rs 3000, tyre sizes that do not have a demand in the aftermarket are usually not taken even from brand new cars.

Rahul
Hi Rahul, even I am from Pune. Am going to take delivery of my New Vento in a week's time. I wish to upgrade my stock tyres to Michelin. Any idea how much would this upgrade cost and what place in Pune would be the best to be offered best price for the upgrade for my brand new tyres?
meetzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 10:06   #26
BHPian
 
MunnabhaiMBBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 294
Thanked: 585 Times
Default Re: What happens to 'New Tyres' exchanged straight from the showroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetzap View Post
Hi Rahul, even I am from Pune. Am going to take delivery of my New Vento in a week's time. I wish to upgrade my stock tyres to Michelin. Any idea how much would this upgrade cost and what place in Pune would be the best to be offered best price for the upgrade for my brand new tyres?
One of the trusted shops by BHPians in Pune :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...yres-pune.html (Lokmanya Tyres (Pune))

However, also do ring up Darshan tyres for a quote.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 11:17   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,740
Thanked: 4,322 Times
Default Re: What happens to 'New Tyres' exchanged straight from the showroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Removed tyres are very good VFM if bought from a trusted tyre shop.
I guess the taxi guys will be using such tyres regularly.

For others, the problem is in finding these ! I have been trying to get a 175/65 R14 that's in decent shape, for use a spare (will not be rotated). But no luck.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 11:29   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,800 Times
Default Re: What happens to 'New Tyres' exchanged straight from the showroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I guess the taxi guys will be using such tyres regularly.

For others, the problem is in finding these ! I have been trying to get a 175/65 R14 that's in decent shape, for use a spare (will not be rotated). But no luck.
True. Taxi guys will use these tyres in a best case scenario!

Many of them have now shifted over to Chinese tyres.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop exchanged at Mumbai airport security goandude Shifting gears 25 29th December 2010 15:25
Exchanged Swift with Grande Punto EDIT: 15000 kms update .anshuman Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 321 7th July 2010 18:10
Pune gets a Nissan showroom and a new Mercedes Benz showroom vikrantj Indian Car Dealerships 2 30th November 2009 09:06
BMW Unveils New Biturbo Petrol Straight Six Engine CaliforniaKnight The International Automotive Scene 6 28th February 2006 10:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks