Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2015, 20:48   #1
BHPian

Hit pothole at speed, tyres severely damaged

This incident happened to me while I was travelling from Trivandrum to Kochi with my wife and 2 year old son in my 3 month old Hyundai Fluidic Verna.

As usual, I took NH 47, since I knew that the road is in good condition, except for some bad patches near Chavara. I used to drive from Trivandrum to Kochi and back at least twice in a month and always preferred to drive at night to avoid heavy traffic and the time loss. This time too, I started at 10 pm. I was driving at a speed of 80-90 km/h and when I reached Chavara, reduced the speed to 60-65 km/h to avoid the bad patches. I had managed to overcome all of them without any issues except the last and most disastrous one. It was deep and wide. I had seen this pit only 1 second before my car jumped over the pothole patch as I was on dipped beam. All of a sudden, I realized that my car's right side front tyre has deflated and had a doubt that rear tyre also was damaged. The good part was that I was in total control of the car and was able to park the car safely at the side of the road. This may be because the car was at slow speeds and/or ABS played its role perfectly. I came out and checked what had exactly happened. I was sad to see that my car's driver side front wheel had nearly touching the road and the same side rear tyre was punctured. As the incident happened after 11.30 pm and my family was with me, I was left with no other option than to lock the car and arrange a stay at near by Karunagappally town.

The next morning, I reached the spot with a local tyre repairing guy. He replaced the front wheel with the stepney, brought the rear wheel to his shop and removed the tyre from the alloy wheel. While removing it, some bad scratches occurred on the wheel (image attached), since he used the old push mechanism device to remove the tyre. He then put a patch inside the tyre where the damage had happened, then placed a tube, fixed it in the rim again and filled air. We left the spot after fixing the rear wheel.

This is the total story in short. Now I have some questions on my mind.

My car was only less than 4 months old and done only 7,450 kms at the time this incident. So, am I eligible for a tyre replacement from Hyundai / Bridgestone?

My car's tyres are Bridgestone B250 195/55R16. Will the Bridgestone tyres get damaged so easily?

My i20s Apollo Acelere (OEM tyre) lasted for 58,000+ kms. I used to drive on the same route for years. That time, the road condition was even worse.

Hit pothole at speed, tyres severely damaged-.jpg

Hit pothole at speed, tyres severely damaged-b.jpg

Hit pothole at speed, tyres severely damaged-c.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 28th January 2015 at 16:08.
noblecr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 21:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hit pothole at speed, tyres severely damaged

I doubt you will get any warranty claims on these. The pothole must have been really nasty with extremely sharp edges and hence the resultant damage to your tyres. If you have a tyre claim clause in your insurance policy then check that out. You might be able to claim both the tyres via that route although not advised since the loss of NCB will offset the amount of 2 new tyres.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 21:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblecr View Post
... when I reached Chavara reduced the speed to 60-65 km/h to avoid the patches...I have seen this pit only 1 second before my car jumped over the pothole patch as I was on dim light...So am i eligible for a tyre replacement from Hyundai/Bridgestone. ?

My car's tyres are Bridgestone B250 195/55R16. Will the Bridgestone tyres damage so easily?
Driving into potholes at 60-65 Kmph, and expecting car/tire manufacturer to honor replacement claims?

I'm sorry, but that is not right. The tires didn't go off on their own while you were driving on smooth tarmac. They went off because you drove them into potholes at high speeds.

I'd be genuinely surprised if someone agreed that the car/tire manufacturer is responsible for this, and should give you a replacement.
sourav9385 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 21:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So am i eligible for a tyre replacement from Hyundai/Bridgestone. ?

My car's tyres are Bridgestone B250 195/55R16. Will the Bridgestone tyres damage so easily. ?
Unless you have something like Tire Road Hazard Protection, I dont think you are eligible for a replacement.

I doubt any tire will survive that pothole at those speeds, based on your description of the pothole.
amitoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 21:58   #5
BHPian

I had a similar situation few months back. My XUV, that had done just 8000 kms then, hit a small concrete brick (used for mounting temporary road dividers, not sure what they are called) at about 90kmph. Unfortunately the sidewall burst and had to go for a new tire. I didnt even bother to inquire about warranty as I could not think of anything for which Bridgstone could be accountable . Yeah, it is difficult to accept that you lost a tire just like that, but gotta move on
Sanjunair5 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 22:01   #6
BHPian

I've ran into a few potholes never had a puncture, only had a bulge once or pinch I think they call it, so had to change the tyre. Sad to see the scratches in the alloys, didn't your car come with a wheel spanner?
nim_peter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 22:10   #7
BHPian

So sad for you noble. But don't really think Hyundai / Bridgestone will honor your request. Based on your description, I don't see the possibility of a manufacturing defect here. Neither will the age of tires have mattered here. Just that you were unlucky that you hit the pothole at a pretty high speed at some angle such that the sharp edges of the pothole tore your tire.
Vigkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 22:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Replace 2 tyres, place the new ones in the front or rear as per your liking and rotate them normally as per schedule. The tyre company will never give you warranty for this.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 22:37   #9
BHPian

IMO you cant expect the manufacturer to honour warranty as has already been mentioned. Its sad to see the rims got scratched badly but that should be the least of your worries. Please check the rims for damages. They can get bent under severe impact.
aswin ajith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 23:21   #10
D C
BHPian

I have been through a very good number of rough patches and potholes. From my experience and your description here, I am sure the edges of the potholes were really sharp.

I had some small bulge on the rear tyre and I checked with the HASS last week. They said it will be covered under warranty if it happens within the initial few kilometers, say about 5,000 Kms. I think its worth checking with the HASS, they may cover it under warranty. I drive a 2012 model and have crossed 42k on the stock tyres, Bridgestone is pretty good as far as I have experienced.

Last edited by D C : 27th January 2015 at 23:23.
D C is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 23:44   #11
BHPian

I remember my first car in the US, a Honda Prelude. Took it off the dealership lot, drove it down to my uncle's place and right front burst when I hit accidentally hit a curb. 282 $ and a brand new Bridgestone Potenza later, I knew that if I wanted to keep the car, I needed to drive much much more carefully.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 00:07   #12
BHPian

Glad to know that you and your family are fine.
There is no harm in trying to get a reaction from either bridgestone or hyundai, similar incident happened to me with michelin and honda.
At the time my tyres had done 25k kms when i had one of my front tyre suffering a blow out when it hit a pothole, still with some persuasion i managed to get 50% off on a new michelin tyre.
superboy44 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 04:36   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

IF the tyres have indeed blown out (highly doubt), then you are eligible for a replacement. If they are simply found to be punctured or damaged due to sharp edges/rock, then it won't be possible to ask for a replacement.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 05:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
While removing, some bad scratches occurred on the alloy(image attached) since he used the old push mechanism device to remove the tyre.
It is really annoying and painful to see something like this.
If the tyre shop guy did not have a proper tyre remover to remove the tyre from the alloy, he should have asked you to get it done somewhere else. I don't think that Karunagapally is such small a town to be without a wheel alignment center.
Instead, our man will use all his traditional tools, hammer, crowbar etc and get the tyre out, least bothered of the scratches he makes. (removing truck and bus tyres is his specialty ) And this, I bet, he would have done without the least feeling of guilt, as if this was the normal way of removing the tyre.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 05:12   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was driving at a speed of 80-90 km/h and when I reached Chavara reduced the speed to 60-65 km/h to avoid the patches.
On a stretch with a speed limit of 70 kmph, you slowed down from 90 kmph to 65 kmph to avoid the potholes? I think you were pushing your luck too far there.

Glad that everyone is safe. As others have mentioned, I dont think you would be getting warranty. Hope you have already checked the alloys for bends though.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks