Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2010, 12:29   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Some people near our house found a Viper in the bushes near the roadside, so I called up our local snake expert (pramodkumar) and he came within 20 minutes to the scene. Unfortunately couldn't spot the snake. The place was damp and it was pitch dark too. The local guys were planning to kill the snake if they found it.

Its actually fortunate that we could not find that snake, people were crazy there. Its not an uncommon sight in kerala to find a snake in your backyard. And this was of course 2 acres of bushes with water bodies, an ideal habitat. There was a point when one idiot tried snatching the hook i had . Clever i hope you tell that idiot that being drunk doesn't give him immunity against venom and the super man like courage lasts only till the high last.

Anyways thanks for calling me i am glad that i was of some help.

Pramod
Old 18th January 2010, 15:30   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Its actually fortunate that we could not find that snake, people were crazy there. Its not an uncommon sight in kerala to find a snake in your backyard. And this was of course 2 acres of bushes with water bodies, an ideal habitat. There was a point when one idiot tried snatching the hook i had . Clever i hope you tell that idiot that being drunk doesn't give him immunity against venom and the super man like courage lasts only till the high last.

Anyways thanks for calling me i am glad that i was of some help.

Pramod
Hey pramod, i have seen your snake hook. Did you get it made locally or bought it from somewhere? I need one here too.
Old 18th January 2010, 15:36   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Hey pramod, i have seen your snake hook. Did you get it made locally or bought it from somewhere? I need one here too.

I got it made, Its farly easy to make and just 70 Bucks, The grip are from a scooter parts shop glued togather with super glue.

Pramod
Old 20th January 2010, 21:56   #259
Senior - BHPian

Snake encounter No.2 COBRA This time, successfuly rescued!

Today I was coming back from office, I was in our residential lane, almost reached home, and then I saw a snake on the road side. I stopped the car, took reverse and again had a look at it, it was pretty long but could not guess which one.

It then entered a very small concrete road which leads to few houses I got out of the car and called two neighbourhood guys as well, to have a look. The snake was literally stuck in that small road because there were side walls at both the sides and there was a dog lying on the other end. Then it entered the gate of a house nearby. Since it was afraid of the attention, it made itself partially hidden between the gate grills and the plastic sheet which they had fixed to the gate to prevent cats/dogs from entering.

I called up our snake guy (Pramodkumar) and he came within few minutes to the scene. The local peole were all prepared to kill the snake. I was little scared when pramod identified the snake as COBRA!

Soon , we made a trap using a 5 inch dia PVC pipe and a sack tied to one of its ends, and pramod tried getting the snake into it. One local guy tell me “This guy can’t handle this snake, better we kill it” . Another guy was boasting that he could catch it with his hands, and he was the first one to run away from the scene when the snake hissed loudly.

After few minutes, the snake entered our trap.

Here are some pics, sorry for the bad pics as I was not too comfortable clicking near to a Cobra!

Snakes!-dsc07456.jpg

Snakes!-dsc07457.jpg

Snakes!-dsc07458.jpg

Snakes!-dsc07459.jpg

Later, we released it in an uninhabited area a bit far.

Pramod, Thank you man! Appreciate your courage! Over to you...

Last edited by clevermax : 20th January 2010 at 22:06.
Old 20th January 2010, 22:16   #260
BHPian

Pramod, hats off to you, man & to you too Clever for taking the snaps of the Cobra. Pramod, glad that I have your phone number with me.
Old 20th January 2010, 22:21   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Today I was coming back from office, I was in our residential lane, almost reached home, and then I saw a snake on the road side. I stopped the car, took reverse and again had a look at it, it was pretty long but could not guess which one.

It then entered a very small concrete road which leads to few houses I got out of the car and called two neighbourhood guys as well, to have a look. The snake was literally stuck in that small road because there were side walls at both the sides and there was a dog lying on the other end. Then it entered the gate of a house nearby. Since it was afraid of the attention, it made itself partially hidden between the gate grills and the plastic sheet which they had fixed to the gate to prevent cats/dogs from entering.

I called up our snake guy (Pramodkumar) and he came within few minutes to the scene. The local peole were all prepared to kill the snake. I was little scared when pramod identified the snake as COBRA!

Soon , we made a trap using a 5 inch dia PVC pipe and a sack tied to one of its ends, and pramod tried getting the snake into it. One local guy tell me “This guy can’t handle this snake, better we kill it” . Another guy was boasting that he could catch it with his hands, and he was the first one to run away from the scene when the snake hissed loudly.

After few minutes, the snake entered our trap.

Here are some pics, sorry for the bad pics as I was not too comfortable clicking near to a Cobra!

Attachment 270143

Pramod you are so brave to handle a highly venomous snake like that. A big Clap for you
Haven't read any TD (sorry), experience report about a snake.

Finally the snakes enjoys the JBL subs and go home happy.
Old 20th January 2010, 22:26   #262
Senior - BHPian

Well done Pramod!
Old 20th January 2010, 22:31   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks clever, and man the pics show how scared you were . Anyways nice presence of mind to call me without killing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Pramod, hats off to you, man & to you too Clever for taking the snaps of the Cobra. Pramod, glad that I have your phone number with me.
Hey thanks Ranjith, i don't do this for a living and trust me i am as scared as every one else, i am no dare devil. One thing i am happy about is i saved a brilliant specimen today and my mentor was constantly assisting me over the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Pramod you are so brave to handle a highly venomous snake like that. A big Clap for you
Haven't read any TD (sorry), experience report about a snake.

Finally the snakes enjoys the JBL subs and go home happy.
Yeah, clever was the one who drove us to the rescue spot. he was revving the engine(he just loves the sound of the End can), so no music for the poor reptile. I just love the enthu clever has in informing me, this is the second time in a week i am heading that way.

BTW clever i feel its the same snake your neighbors must have seen and called a viper, Since it matches the description and as no one has actually seen the other one i feel its the same one, only a few can differentiate, even when you explained i thought its a Rat snake, but the moment i saw it i knew its a cobra.

Thanks for your support guys,

Pramod
Old 20th January 2010, 22:33   #264
BHPian

wow! pramod that is really a brave effort

fact about me i'm really afraid of snakes,even our local "chera" don't know its english name?

from now on you are the official snake charmer of team-bhp

@ clevermax still a good effort,but not upto your usual mark
Old 20th January 2010, 22:44   #265
BHPian

A few weeks back my sister-in-law found a snake lying down with her in her bed at 4 in the morning!!

She was really scared and then the whole area got up with the sound and some of them killed it I guess.

She still does not know from where it came and guessed from the bathroom ventilator.

But the most interesting part is that she stays in a PG in the 7th main of INDIRANAGAR 100 FT ROAD

God only knows how it came through in the concrete structures in the middle of the city!!
Old 20th January 2010, 22:51   #266
BHPian

Well usually in our place people used to kill any snake they see. IMO, that is a very bad behavior. We have to care and respect every life on this earth.

Pramod & Clever, I appreciate what you people done. You didn't hurt that snake, but got it transferred to a safe place carefully.

As Pramod said, we can see how frighten our Photography expert is. Don't worry man, we all will have the same kind of shake (or even worse) in a situation like this.
Old 20th January 2010, 22:54   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post

fact about me i'm really afraid of snakes,even our local "chera" don't know its english name?

crazy, that's why I said "hats off" to clever also. Forget about taking photos, a person like me would be seen speeding away in the exact opposite direction.
And "chera" is rat snake in English.

Last edited by Nutty Nair : 20th January 2010 at 22:56.
Old 20th January 2010, 23:13   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks clever, and man the pics show how scared you were .
I am anyway better than that those guys who ran when the snake hissed, isn't it..

Quote:
BTW clever i feel its the same snake your neighbors must have seen and called a viper, Since it matches the description and as no one has actually seen the other one i feel its the same one, only a few can differentiate, even when you explained i thought its a Rat snake, but the moment i saw it i knew its a cobra.
Yes me too think so. They must have mistaken this Cobra as a Viper.
Old 21st January 2010, 08:54   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post

Thanks, Snake charmer , come up with a different and little better name atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
A few weeks back my sister-in-law found a snake lying down with her in her bed at 4 in the morning!!

She was really scared and then the whole area got up with the sound and some of them killed it I guess.

She still does not know from where it came and guessed from the bathroom ventilator.

But the most interesting part is that she stays in a PG in the 7th main of INDIRANAGAR 100 FT ROAD

God only knows how it came through in the concrete structures in the middle of the city!!
Snakes are everywhere around us. They are very well camoflaged, spoting them is as difficult as spoting a tree in the jungle, but some times there are conforntations and its always better to avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Well usually in our place people used to kill any snake they see. IMO, that is a very bad behavior. We have to care and respect every life on this earth.

Pramod & Clever, I appreciate what you people done. You didn't hurt that snake, but got it transferred to a safe place carefully.

As Pramod said, we can see how frighten our Photography expert is. Don't worry man, we all will have the same kind of shake (or even worse) in a situation like this.
Killing snakes is the easiest way around, and yes people kill them because of the fear they have for them, Removing them from the food chain means increase in rodent population and that means all our crops and supplies being eaten by rodents, The maximum snake bites are non lethal these days due to the medical advancements. But as always said you mind your bussiness and they will mind theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
crazy, that's why I said "hats off" to clever also. Forget about taking photos, a person like me would be seen speeding away in the exact opposite direction.
And "chera" is rat snake in English.
Clever was the most calm and composed guy there, half of the guys were showoffs, this makes our job even more tougher, they were like you just move away let us kill it. I was trying to concentrate and distractions like this could mean fatal. I got so pissed finally i asked one guy why did you call me then?

Quote:
I am anyway better than that those guys who ran when the snake hissed, isn't it..
Any day dude, this is the second such incidance and you have proved it once again,

Quote:
Yes me too think so. They must have mistaken this Cobra as a Viper.
i feel they are not happy that the snake is out of their area, but they are unhappy because they kind of missed the freak show where in one dare devil goes and catches the snakes with his bare hands, you need to talk to some wise people there and tell them to behave in more sane way possible, You dont do bussiness with people who come to save people, its a humble request.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2010, 09:17   #270
Senior - BHPian

Wow man! hats off !

Q ! Did you switch one that sub after you had that guy in the boot?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks