Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2009, 18:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

1. We need to assign some one duty of being official photographer - Any show of hands?
2. We need more volunteer marshals. Raj and Vinay may not join.
3. Hopefully we should have the list of all, with vehicle description, by the time we start and Gaurav Chiripal is nominated as forum updater with the list.

The following have been designated for:

SOS & Help:
Philip 9910892281

Marshals:
Rajul 9818056386
Sudev 9313293773
Old 20th September 2009, 00:12   #17
BHPian

I will be joining ... hope this is not late to announce.
Old 20th September 2009, 05:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Gurkha would be welcome addition....nope its not too late till 0900hrs today at Signature Tower NH8 Gurgaon.
Old 20th September 2009, 15:07   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Top Line:
16 vehicle joined in with 29 people (slightly confused count).
Grand Vitara, Toyota Land Cruiser, Pajero, Gypsy, Forester, Gurkha, Mahindra & Endeavour - Did I miss something?
Did reversing practise
We only did trail #1 & #2.
Trail #3 for the next time?
Rocks, gravel, stone, bushes, farm paths, slush pit and water splash were par for the course.
Very enthusiastic response.
One vehicle toppled over, straightened without damage.
One leopard spotted by a participant.
Let the stories and pictures be posted by others.
Northern Motorsport helped with logistics, equipment and refreshments.

Hope that the next outing is longer and more participants come.

Last edited by sudev : 20th September 2009 at 15:08. Reason: Spellings
Old 20th September 2009, 16:44   #20
Team-BHP Support

Pics please! Waiting to see the action.
Old 20th September 2009, 19:18   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Mea culpa - I did not get chance to take a single picture. I was so busy manning phones of late runners and running the convoy that just did not get a moment to take a picture.

That said after a good nap during after noon here is my version of the event:

The starting at Signature Tower was at 0900hrs. Me and few others fron Northern Motorsport were there by 0830hrs. Ice boxes ready with D'pauls cold coffee for 30 people (it ran short and that is why I think there were more people than we counted OR some had more than one!!). Tested out our radio sets and checked we had all recovery equipments. Raj, Performance NOIDA, had lent us his Mahindra with winch and also an expert mech.. He was unfortunately in Kolkata and had to miss this one.

Slowly others started trickling in and filling up registration forms. But it was clear that 0900hrs deadline was out of question, however we did move by 0925hrs with few people struggling to meet up further up. Since we had published maps it was easier for them to hook up. Just before starting we had a quick round of intros and laid out objectives for the day.

The convoy moved off to Badhashpur and Teekli.....

Last edited by sudev : 20th September 2009 at 19:38.
Old 20th September 2009, 20:01   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Naren Kaimal has posted some pictures on the FaceBook event page "Trail Blazing" for the group "SUV Xplore". He is not a member here so posting link pictures.

Drivers briefing before start of the day:

Here is one of Forester. This is at the end of the trail 2 which had rocks, climbs, down slope, slush, splash and elephant grass.

The trail #2 started with narrow farm path through thick elephant grass:

Every one lined up properly and attempted trail one by one:

All the Grand Vitara's line up:

Last edited by sudev : 20th September 2009 at 20:10.
Old 20th September 2009, 20:15   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

There was confusion amongst the drivers where to turn off at Badshahpur, despite clear instructions to follow convoy rules and keep the guy behind in the rear view mirror. Unfortunately all hvae the habit of keeping the car "in front" in view and the car at the back. And if convoy breaks the people in middle can get lost.

Anyhow we all assembled to take on the trail #1 by 1030hrs. It was a short trail with loose rocks and gravel. Not much of challenge but at the top all were tested for reversing using only rear view mirrors and not truning there heads. This is important learning and on real trailing is very essential. It was observed that most of the people end up over correcting from one side to the other or keep line to objects very near the car.

From top to bottom was quick work and then we headed towards the trail #2. However it was breakfast time just before we started on this. Although it was already 1130hrs.
Old 20th September 2009, 20:49   #24
BHPian

I was not carrying camera but few things made be use my cell phone as camera.

SUV Trail-blazing-photo007.jpeg

Zig Wheels team testing out the brand new Endeavour Automatic

SUV Trail-blazing-photo008.jpg

Elephant grass...

&

First time saw a TLC turning over, it just went in front of my eyes in slow motion.

SUV Trail-blazing-photo009.jpg

SUV Trail-blazing-photo010.jpg

SUV Trail-blazing-photo011.jpeg

SUV Trail-blazing-photo012.jpeg

SUV Trail-blazing-photo013.jpeg

PUG Marks - Any guess?
SUV Trail-blazing-photo014.jpeg
Old 20th September 2009, 21:08   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely Rhandle. You captured the two highlights - LC turning over and the Pug marks!! Although the latter do not seem to be leopards!! Wish some could have captured the shot of the leopard.

After a quick break it was time to move on. The convoy moved in to the elephant grass country. This was a narrow path between fields and over growth on both sides. Although we did not have any water or slush still it was difficult to negotiate.

As evidenced from the pictures of Land Cruiser on its side a small mis-judgement meant that the wheels would climb the high side bank and ...!! But on the way in every one negotiated this nicely.

Then came the hill climb. Here a quick briefing and one by one cars moved up in 4x4low mode. First to go was the Honda CRV, although with bit of difficulty it did make it up to the top. On the way down they ended up ripping the plastic engine bottom protection plate. Followed by the Forestor. Then the GV's, Endy Land Crusiers and Pajeros went up.

Then the down hill was attempted which had a narrow path and a twin hump. This is where Avinash, in Forestor, spotted the leopard few feet away hidding behind the bush. As soon he was at the bottom of the hill it was conveyed to me and we had to ask all the pohoto chaps to get back in to the cars that were following him down the same path.

The down hill was followed by a slush pit - which however by the end become quite slush free and dry. The last obstacle was a water splash which was enjoyed by every one. A finall de-briefing followed and then every one dispersed.

Of course this is when the radio went live with comments of LC rolling, giving all a few anxious moments. A quick recovery involving rolling it back on its wheels and the convoy exited near Haldiram's on the NH8!!
Old 20th September 2009, 21:24   #26
BHPian

Fantastic write-up. The pictures are simply amazing. I guess the vehicles with narrower tracks would have easily escaped the fate of the Land Cruiser in this case. Anyway, must have been the result of a small misjudgment as pointed out by Sudev. I think we should have more such events through T-BHP
Old 20th September 2009, 21:28   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more pictures from Naren:

The lsush pit was very dry and hardly showing the terror by the time every one was through it had dried up:

The Pajero's were amazing on the uphill climb. Hardly breaking in to sweat and tackles the surface and incline very well:

The CRV had difficulty in climbing this rock strewn trail but made it to the top neverthless:
Old 20th September 2009, 21:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Oh damn.. TLC on its side... Well what happened to the car? (ok ok, I know nothing has happened to the driver or the post would have mentioned it). how bad was the damage? expensive? Denting/body shop? Sorry yaars - Jeep guy, would Not know a thing about a TLC!!
Old 20th September 2009, 22:03   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Met the TLC owner as it was being driven back towards NH8 right after this. No apparent damage!! Probably all the elephant grass cushioned it. Even the out side rear view mirror on the drivers side was extended out and functioning.

There was fair representation of women drivers who also tested their hand at trail driving. Ms. Rhandle (sorry I did not catch the name) in the Gurkha, Antra and Dr. Maninder in Grand Vitara. All of them tried the reversing test.

Last edited by sudev : 20th September 2009 at 22:23.
Old 20th September 2009, 22:32   #30
BHPian

Hey Sudev, gang - you guys are having too much fun! I am missing all this - not too many places like yours out of Bombay. Looking forward to fun next year for the Storm! I am planning to be driving in Rajasthan sometime in November - let me know if you need me to do anything.
Harshit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks