Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 14:04   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SUV Trail-blazing

@Raosaheb & Nilanjan : Interesting idea to hold it at other locations....would it pay for my petrol and stay??
Old 6th September 2011, 22:32   #107
Senior - BHPian

LSD does work very well on loose surface like sand or ice or gravel, even loose dirt. I had an LSD in my Landcruiser Prados both LWb and 2 door SWB. On very loose sand i have got out of tricky situations by engaging cnetral diff lock and LSD in tandem.

I have also liked the rear diff lock on the FJ Cruiser, it has got me out of powdery sand but the best was the front and rear diffs on the old model Landcruiser 80 series with fixed front axle and 4500 cc I6 engine, it is still the offroad vehicle to beat.
Old 6th September 2011, 22:52   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
.... On very loose sand i have got out of tricky situations by engaging cnetral diff lock and LSD in tandem.
Is it possible to "engage" the LSD by some switch/mechanism? Do some vehicles come with that option?
Old 6th September 2011, 23:02   #109
Senior - BHPian

No LSD is a variable diff lock that works automatically by using small plates similar to clutch plates. It allows a certain amount of speed differential between the two axle shafts on an axle or the two prop shafts in the transfer case. When the speed differential reaches a predetermined level the diff lock mechanism starts working automatically so that each axle half or transmission lock starts recieving equal amounts of power.

Central Diff lock, front diff lock or the most common rear diff lock can be engaged or disengaged manually or by electronic or pneumatic means.
Old 6th September 2011, 23:04   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Okay so Samurai what you are saying is that one could have gotten out of the situation by using, say, handbrake on the rear wheel to get torque transfer to the other rear wheel?? But the brake would have applied to that one also. Would it not???
You people think too much!

You could've gotten out of the situation by calling the Garnier Fructis girl
Old 6th September 2011, 23:10   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post

By the way, any comments on how the Endeavour performed in such harsh conditions? Was it much worse than the Pajero? Better than the others? Would be interesting to hear.
there were times when I was following one of the Pajeros I saw that there were lots of sliding and wagging of the tail by the other vehicle. So, I used to brace myself for something similar. But surprisingly the Endeavour was always smooth. I think the reason for this is the auto tranny. It is always in the right gear and so there is a brilliant balance between throttle, gear and speed. To add to this I was mostly in 4WH and it seemed so easy to drive this beast.

But to give the Pajeros their due, they were fantastic in the really bad situations. To add to this, they were the saviours of all of us and kept towing us all out from time to time due to their conveniently placed

The Endy is really bad in the towability department. It has only one tow hook on the front left and no tow hook at the rear. This meant that if at all I got stuck the only way to pull me out was by towing me forwards or fixing the D shackle to the rear leaf spring. This means you have to be able to lie on the ground and under the vehicle to be able to do this. Thankfully this wasn't necessary on this occasion as the very thought of being on my knees in the slushy conditions that we were in on Sunday is unthinkable!

This was my first serious off roading experience in the Endeavour automatic and so I didn't know how it would react. I'm sure the next time around I'll be much more confident with the vehicle. My Endeavour is now 23 months old ( the first Endeavour 4x4AT in the NCR) and it took me a long time to convince myself to let it go through thorny bushes. I now have a fairly scratched car, but I think some wax polish and buffing will get rid of the scratches!
HillBilly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 23:16   #112
BHPian

Quote:
@HillyBilly : SO when is this theory going to get tested?? ;-)
Haha! Sudev! You are the man who knows all the trails around NCR. Just give me a shout anytime and I'll be there!
Old 7th September 2011, 00:47   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
No LSD is a variable diff lock that works automatically by using small plates similar to clutch plates. It allows a certain amount of speed differential between the two axle shafts on an axle or the two prop shafts in the transfer case. When the speed differential reaches a predetermined level the diff lock mechanism starts working automatically so that each axle half or transmission lock starts recieving equal amounts of power.
I don't think any SUV in India below 50 lakhs has this mechanism. You are describing a LSD that turned into full locker after a threshold. Most of us have torsen LSD on our 4WD SUVs, which pretty much gives up at really slippery conditions.
Old 7th September 2011, 07:02   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You could've gotten out of the situation by calling the Garnier Fructis girl
Aaaahhhhaaa now why did we not think about this???!!! LOL. If GFG would have come we would have been looking to drive in to denser bushes than the gaps that make the trail!!!

@HillyBilly : We do need to test out what Samurai is saying. A friend has two ramps (these were used for simulating river bed slippage during Yeti drive experiences). Let me check out if we can get hold of them for use.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 11:04   #115
BHPian

Quote:
@Raosaheb & Nilanjan : Interesting idea to hold it at other locations....would it pay for my petrol and stay??
Better I will come down to Delhi, pick you and tow GV
Raosaheb Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 11:37   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Sudev,

Some great trailblazing there and nice pics! I am also keen to participate in the next trailblazing session whenever you plan it. I am based in Gurgaon and will bring my little Yeti and see how it copes!

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 10th September 2011, 06:30   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

It will be pleasure to have more people along Behemoth
Old 13th September 2011, 07:50   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Hows every one for September 25th for Trail Blazing #5???
Old 13th September 2011, 11:40   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hows every one for September 25th for Trail Blazing #5???
Count me in..! Let me know the venue, details and time when they are finalized.
Thanks!
Old 14th September 2011, 12:20   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure we folks in the South could arrange someting...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks