Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 17:28   #76
Senior - BHPian

^^ Yep - the friend's cousin part is right

I didnt know so much went on before I got the call from Chetan/Venky... So, even a innocent camping (little off roading) had to end on such a high note(s). Good read.

Venky - could you share the next day fix and the cause of the issue in the 1st place. It was a eye opener for me.
Old 6th May 2010, 17:34   #77
DKG
Senior - BHPian

My goodness Jaggu looks like you guys will be hardcore mechanics by the end of a offroading season. Seriously you need to get all these guys to take their cars to workshops and sort out basic stuff. Its such a drag to have breakdowns when all you want to do is drive around having fun.
Old 6th May 2010, 17:58   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Its such a drag to have breakdowns when all you want to do is drive around having fun.
In fact that was the fun part!!!! :-)

Thanks
-Sree--
Old 6th May 2010, 18:00   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
^^ Yep - the friend's cousin part is right

I didnt know so much went on before I got the call from Chetan/Venky... So, even a innocent camping (little off roading) had to end on such a high note(s). Good read.

Venky - could you share the next day fix and the cause of the issue in the 1st place. It was a eye opener for me.
The issue was that the injector needles/pins were not the right ones for this pump. This pump sends in more fuel at the same pressure as the older one to the engine. Obviously my engine behaved like it had a new lease of life until the pipes snapped.

I just rigged similar pipes to drive her back home. She did. Swinging wildly. Have to fix that one too. The mechanic refuses to let me take the jeep out now without fixing the steering. LOL!

So these pipes will hold only for an X amount of time and then WILL snap. So under German's tutelage, I have to take the old pins, and the pipes and go to the shop with the Pump's model number and get a set, set the pressure, and then plonk it on to the jeep.

trust me though, my jeep MOVES with this pump. Inspite of putting an 8/43 crown pinion ratio, I touch 80 on my antiquated meter, which is about 70 realistic I suppose. Which is a fabulous speed in a completely open Jeep, where 70 feels like 140.

And ofcourse wheel-spins on almost any gear. What fun

Quote:
My goodness Jaggu looks like you guys will be hardcore mechanics by the end of a offroading season. Seriously you need to get all these guys to take their cars to workshops and sort out basic stuff. Its such a drag to have breakdowns when all you want to do is drive around having fun.
Ever heard of Murphy's law sir? Not denying ofcourse that we need to keep these things under routine checks and maintenance, but we learn with every issue. And lets face it, with a machine like this - there are a million things that can go wrong. So the points are:

1. Do you FIX the issue and learn from it and ensure it never happens again?

2. And as long as this happens with another group of people who dont mind helping out, supporting, and also learning from these things, it does not matter.

You feel horrible if everyone feels you're a dead-weight. Thankfully, the Bangalore OTR crowd is NEVER like that. I shudder to think if thats the case in other places!

But ofcourse I felt like crap, and I apologised to everyone. Now my mission is to fix these irritants.

No mistakes = no learning :-) The most ingenious solutions come during times of pressure (like reknotting the tow rope...thank god Sreeraj!).

And the best friends are made during times of adversity. Why the heck do I feel like I had a big dose of Mukunda Baba's after lunch snack?
Old 6th May 2010, 18:30   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R.Boruwa View Post
Where exactly is this beautiful place and which is the route taken ?
Its a secret place and we will have to do stuff to you once we reveal it. Jaaastkiddin, i know its beside the river Kaveri and somewhere near KA TN border and doesn't come in gmaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

We are all innocent guys only! and the pump is pimped up one, and was running standard pipe which is not capable of handling the large amount of fuel that pump churns out. Though nobody realized that it could result in so much of fountain work.

Quote:
My goodness Jaggu looks like you guys will be hardcore mechanics by the end of a offroading season.
==========
Its such a drag to have breakdowns when all you want to do is drive around having fun.
Most of us already are, though these shy guys wont admit it, untill they see a tool box. And trust me this was the fun part for me, after a long time i got my hands dirty proper, thank you jeep gods! Reminded me of a Trivandrum to Bangalore trip (700 kms) which took 2.5 days of constant driving and breakdowns in a diesel amby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
In fact that was the fun part!!!! :-)

Thanks
-Sree--
^^^ aye aye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The mechanic refuses to let me take the jeep out now without fixing the steering. LOL!
Poor Raju one ride from Hosur to BLR is what it took, he he he

Quote:
trust me though, my jeep MOVES with this pump.
Yup she does make good power, can pull with just 2 cylinders and that too on a trail is proof enough.

Quote:
And as long as this happens with another group of people who dont mind helping out, supporting, and also learning from these things, it does not matter.
As long as we can make an excuse and name the OTR in your honor, please repeat the same

Quote:
But ofcourse I felt like crap, and I apologised to everyone. Now my mission is to fix these irritants.
Cut the senti, Venki. We are looking forward to next breakdown trip and this time i will give you company in DwArF!

Quote:
No mistakes = no learning :-) The most ingenious solutions come during times of pressure (like reknotting the tow rope...thank god Sreeraj!).

And the best friends are made during times of adversity.
Well said bro! This is the thing that really matters.

BLR boys are really mad as it gets, and don't care about any schedules or breakdowns. Actually they look so sleepy and bored when everything is going right. Moment things go wrong people wake up and start participating and then its total chaos that even animals keep off.
Old 6th May 2010, 18:43   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thankfully sufficient length was there to make an elephant knot, Sreeraj who is a well trained elephant handler did it within minutes.
Quote:
And now we know what should be the ideal length of a Tow Rope to avoid coming under towed vehicle's Tyre and, Idea of Fabricating Tow Bar is catching momentum, see we are learning from every opportunity be it good or bad.

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 6th May 2010 at 18:45.
Old 6th May 2010, 21:20   #82
Team-BHP Support

Few pics from my side

Some i had left off earlier, updating the same.

Enjoy!
Jaggu

Spidey itching to start off
Gone camping by the river Dabgali. Photologue-28otr1.jpg

Coolie's taking care of Mukund baba's stuff
Gone camping by the river Dabgali. Photologue-28otr2.jpg
Gone camping by the river Dabgali. Photologue-28otr3.jpg

Look ma i grown a mustache
Gone camping by the river Dabgali. Photologue-28otr4.jpg

This is what happens when the jeeps runs proper, sulking lot
Gone camping by the river Dabgali. Photologue-28otr5.jpg

Coracle riders
Gone camping by the river Dabgali. Photologue-28otr6.jpg
Old 6th May 2010, 21:35   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

LOL @ Sulking LOT!!! They definitely seemed a lot more happier when they could get their hands on something...

my co-passenger did not go to work the next day because of a sprained neck...she cursed Jaggu, Siddu, and Chethan.
Old 6th May 2010, 23:46   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
my co-passenger did not go to work the next day because of a sprained neck...she cursed Jaggu, Siddu, and Chethan.
Oops sorry, its all coz of you stomping on the brake all the while We are innocent, ask Sidhu how gentle i was with the tow. German should curse me for slipping clutch to save you the jerk. But dude get a proper bucket seat with neck restrainer when you do roll cage, it helps alot!
Old 6th May 2010, 23:57   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Oops sorry, its all coz of you stomping on the brake all the while We are innocent, ask Sidhu how gentle i was with the tow. German should curse me for slipping clutch to save you the jerk. But dude get a proper bucket seat with neck restrainer when you do roll cage, it helps alot!
Oye jaggu, i thought you saved the bluee

Guys im dreaming of driving the bluee from airport to my home as soon as i land. hope i dont drive directly to garage

What is chetan doing there behind Venki's jeep?

Last edited by star_aqua : 7th May 2010 at 00:01.
Old 7th May 2010, 06:32   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post

Guys im dreaming of driving the bluee from airport to my home as soon as i land. hope i dont drive directly to garage

Siddu and chethan fought like rabid monkeys to take that driver's seat under the shade...and siddu won...trust me that seat is tooo comfortable...
Old 7th May 2010, 10:50   #87
Senior - BHPian

Awesome. I am voting 5 stars for this thread.
Old 7th May 2010, 10:53   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

And i thought its already in the garage

No dear it was just more of multiple clutch lift off's slowly, than clutch slip, to get a smoother take off from standstill after Venki started complaining about the jerks up front.

Quote:
Siddu and chethan fought like rabid monkeys to take that driver's seat under the shade...and siddu won...trust me that seat is tooo comfortable...
And Chetan is ogling at bluee and wondering if he should climb through the window or not.
Old 7th May 2010, 11:03   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL @ Sulking LOT!!! They definitely seemed a lot more happier when they could get their hands on something...

Hmm, may be sprain because of smart people around
Old 7th May 2010, 12:25   #90
BHPian

Quote:

make sure you have redliner welcoming you at the airport with a tow strap garland just incase Bluee might need it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks