Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 12:34   #16
BANNED

Re: Exhaust fumes in Thar Cabin

Yesterday i completed @ 1200kms round trip in kerala thru v v bad roads in THAR CRDe,Doors where rattling like HELL, rest no issues. Exhaust smell was observed very hi when driven down ghats in 2nd or 3rd gear in hi engine rpm , with out touching the gas pedal..M&M need to attend this case imm. This seems to be posing a real health hazard.Kids / ladies where vomitting like any thing !!..

Last edited by Rajith : 7th December 2011 at 12:35.
Old 14th December 2011, 13:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Pratheesh - reference your comment above, you have said it 100% correct! .

Dear Carrot Eater - the root cause needs to be identified and eliminated.

Dear Vijay - thanks for guiding Carrot Eater properly. I really appreciate.

Behram Dhabhar

Dear Mr. Dhabhar - I drove my Thar after a gap of about 10 days as I was out on vacation. The first thing this morning I noticed was the pronounced smell after about driving for 10-15 mins the smell went away. But for a while it was unbearable. This morning it was cold and I think it is got to do with the cold start.

With your experience can you help us - make the service guys understand the root cause and fix it. This will benefit a lot of those on this forum who are suffering from this issue.

And Vijay - Thank you for all the help - I am yet to get my Thar serviced. Have booked a slot this Saturday and hopefully those folks will understand that the smell is caused by corrupt ECU setting and /or the Cat con and make the necessary changes.

Carrot Eater.
Old 18th December 2011, 18:48   #18
BHPian

I had this issue for long, had posted this number of times.

ECU was fine-tuned by dealer, unburnt fuel smell cropped up after some time. Was told cat-con an issue next time, so got it cleaned, though dealer did not change it. Finally m&m service guys checked and fine tuned ECU and added an exhaust pipe with downward bent. reduced for sometime but is now full unburnt fuel smell in cabin if windows are open. Problem yet to be resolved.

The smell is pronounced near engine and drivers cabin, perhaps change cat con, though am wondering whether this helps at all.
Old 19th December 2011, 08:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnambiar View Post
I had this issue for long, had posted this number of times.
ECU was fine-tuned by dealer, unburnt fuel smell cropped up after some time. Was told cat-con an issue next time, so got it cleaned, though dealer did not change it. Finally m&m service guys checked and fine tuned ECU and added an exhaust pipe with downward bent. reduced for sometime but is now full unburnt fuel smell in cabin if windows are open. Problem yet to be resolved.

The smell is pronounced near engine and drivers cabin, perhaps change cat con, though am wondering whether this helps at all.
I got my Thar serviced over this past weekend - I told the service guys - the smell is my number 1 complaint and they need to fix that - I told that ECU remapping - Cat Con replacement will do it .

Well what they did was Cat con flushing and kept the vehicle for an additional day to fix the new exhaust pipe - which they did not as they did not have that in stock.

They refused to change the cat con saying it is working fine and same with the ECU - saying that is fine too.

For time being - I drove the Thar on Saturday evening and on Sunday and yet to face the issue of unburnt fuel - well let's see how long does it take ..

And the issue is very similar - the smell is near the driver side and not coming from Exhaust - more like from the engine and more pronounced once you get out of the vehicle on the driver side. But the Service guys are not able to fix it.

Spike - Mr. Dhabhar Sir - Please advise how to get this fixed permanently.

In fact - Khan - if you read this - you should bring this up in your official review of the Thar - in the initial pages under what you don't like about Thar.
Old 19th December 2011, 18:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
I got my Thar serviced over this past weekend - I told the service guys - the smell is my number 1 complaint and they need to fix that - I told that ECU remapping - Cat Con replacement will do it .

Well what they did was Cat con flushing and kept the vehicle for an additional day to fix the new exhaust pipe - which they did not as they did not have that in stock.

They refused to change the cat con saying it is working fine and same with the ECU - saying that is fine too.

For time being - I drove the Thar on Saturday evening and on Sunday and yet to face the issue of unburnt fuel - well let's see how long does it take ..

And the issue is very similar - the smell is near the driver side and not coming from Exhaust - more like from the engine and more pronounced once you get out of the vehicle on the driver side. But the Service guys are not able to fix it.

Spike - Mr. Dhabhar Sir - Please advise how to get this fixed permanently.

In fact - Khan - if you read this - you should bring this up in your official review of the Thar - in the initial pages under what you don't like about Thar.
Hi,

Allthough the ECU flashes Green on the laptop for all paramaters please ask them to re-load the dataset.It was the same for my vehicle as well all paramaters were Green with the vehicle in motion and the smell being un-arable along with stalling. It is very complicated and beyond you and me and at times the India Garage technician.Please ask for the tech. liner through the India Garage technican callled (COTAK) and tell them to re-load the dataset.

99.9% it will fix the issue.....

Regards,

Vijay
Old 19th December 2011, 20:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_k2001 View Post
Hi,

Allthough the ECU flashes Green on the laptop for all paramaters please ask them to re-load the dataset.It was the same for my vehicle as well all paramaters were Green with the vehicle in motion and the smell being un-arable along with stalling. It is very complicated and beyond you and me and at times the India Garage technician.Please ask for the tech. liner through the India Garage technican callled (COTAK) and tell them to re-load the dataset.

99.9% it will fix the issue.....

Regards,

Vijay
Thank you Vijay - for all the help until now. Thanks to you - I could get the door set to what ever best can be done.

Well for now - the smell is gone - and I had told them specifically to reload the data set - and the service advisor told me that it would be done - not sure if it was done or not.

What I meant was Flushing of the Cat con - using some chemicals- like engine flushing before putting in new oil. - again - I am not sure if that helps or not.

In any case - the smell seems to be gone - at least for now. I will be called again to fit the modified exhaust - that time - I will get the ECU data set re-loaded again.

Cheers
Carrot
Old 19th December 2011, 21:58   #22
BHPian

Does the ECU get corrupted? It worked fine for the first couple of months.
Old 21st December 2011, 17:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnambiar View Post
Does the ECU get corrupted? It worked fine for the first couple of months.
I am not sure if that happens. For my Thar - I bought in August - I did not have any issues with the smell until late November - I am told it is the cold weather and the lower ambient temperature which causes the smell as the ECU data set could be faulty for that range of temp
Old 22nd December 2011, 19:14   #24
BHPian

I am not sure about cold weather. I had taken delivery around April and the smell issue cropped in may/June when I took vehicle up/ down ghats for a month, warm months. Thereafter it stayed put during city drive and worsened, despite cleaning cat con, Sideway exhaust pipe.

Have sent for service again at india garage. Apparently this is now a common issue as per the technician. One of the vehicles is parked at india garage, since owners wife got hospitalised due to excessive foul smell - sad if true. He's been give a spare vehicle till they fix this. Hope they get to root, issue has be lingering for a long while.
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:02   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - I never had such an issue in MH01V521 in rigorous test mode, which included running of 1000 kms/day @ 140+ kmph, mixed surface durability @ 600 kms/day, 4WD low range offroad durability in terrain worse than EXAMM , as also torture track run, where if you run for 5000 kms, it equals a normal run of 1,60,000 kms, hot runs in Kutch / Rajasthan, cold runs in Leh / Ladakh, all happening continuously, day after day after day. I can't tell you the total distance covered but believe you me, it was was mind boggling. Our six test vehicles, which include MH01V521 have all gone through hell and come back!

I wonder what has changed. Logic says it's the fuel maps!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th December 2011, 20:21   #26
BHPian

got it serviced and flushing of catcon done again, have been told that ecu has been reloaded. drove 500kms yesterday onto ghats, no unburnt smell, yet. hope this time it stays away for good.
Old 25th December 2011, 21:01   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Has any of the existing owners of Thar noticed that at times you get the smell of exhaust fumes in the cabin ..
A neighbor of mine had the same issue, if I recollect. I understand from him that the Mahindra A.S.S at India Garage were not able to diagnose the problem after multiple visits by Mahindra technicians and holding on to the vehicle for multiple weeks. I was told they eventually replaced some entire assemblies under warranty and returned the vehicle.
Old 26th December 2011, 09:54   #28
BHPian

Mr Behram, I am sorry to say that I am very sad reading your posts. After reading about your work on the Thar and buying one, there has been no positive help from you to any questions. I am not sure why, but your answer to problems people have with the vehicle is basically to say how you have never had the problem in all your testing. This does not help one bit and only serves to frustrate owners and others looking for help. I only have seen self congratulatory posts to yourself and not much else. I was really looking forward to hearing a lot of good advice and wisdom from you on running, taking care of and enjoying my Thar, but alas - none of that has come from you. Thank god there are others on the forum who, although they may not have Thars or jeeps, are willing to spend time and effort to help or at least give advice or suggestions on how to solve problems or improve things. Thanks, Manas

Last edited by manasm : 26th December 2011 at 09:56.
manasm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 11:03   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Mr Behram, I am sorry to say that I am very sad reading your posts. After reading about your work on the Thar and buying one, there has been no positive help from you to any questions. I am not sure why, but your answer to problems people have with the vehicle is basically to say how you have never had the problem in all your testing. This does not help one bit and only serves to frustrate owners and others looking for help. I only have seen self congratulatory posts to yourself and not much else. I was really looking forward to hearing a lot of good advice and wisdom from you on running, taking care of and enjoying my Thar, but alas - none of that has come from you. Thank god there are others on the forum who, although they may not have Thars or jeeps, are willing to spend time and effort to help or at least give advice or suggestions on how to solve problems or improve things. Thanks, Manas
Agree with you 100%. How are we to know whats there in the prototype or what was envisaged, unless its laid out, we are enthusiastic enough to work it.
Old 26th December 2011, 15:06   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Dear Mr.Manas - I perfectly understand the reason for your comments and I appreciate your frankness in stating it. However, I completely disagree to your point of view although you are justified in stating it. I have always helped Thar customers to the best of my ability. There are ample people on the forum that I can name. They are my brand ambassadors. As regards "self-congratulatory posts to myself", why not? I am a jolly good product engineer. I have done what needed to be done and I have no hesitancy in saying so. Those vehicles are running out there on the road, they make business sense to the company and keep customers happy, so why should I not shout from the rooftops? I do not believe in the old day grandmother's syndrome, not talking about nice things, lest somebody cast a spell. I am not like that. If I am good, I will say so again and again, from all rooftops, not one only!

I hope you will understand and appreciate my point of view as I understand and appreciate your point of view. You are also like me only. You have done Thar hard top which must be making you feel happy, so, be happy! Nothing wrong there, my friend!

Mr.V Nambiar - I agree to your statement below. Of course you can never know what's in the prototype. That's why the vehicle is a prototype. It displayed a very high level of performance band width that day in AKC / EXAMM. It was meant to do that on that day, as I knew that target customers were watching! Those actions are now delivering the desired result.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks