Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2012, 08:31   #1
BANNED

High-Lift Jack Instruction Manual Shared (How to use one!)

Dear all , I had Purchased a High-Lift Jack a few years ago , along with it came an Instruction manual .

Recently a friend bought such a jack but apparently there is no manual with it , so it prompted me to share this here . ( could have PMed him but chose to share here )

High-Lift jack is a very useful recovery tool , not only that it can be used for various other applications , but has its fare share of tricks too . One needs to get to know the thing to have its maximum use

Here it is

scan0001.pdf

scan0002.pdf

scan0003.pdf

scan0004.pdf

scan0005.pdf

scan0006.pdf

scan0007.pdf

scan0008.pdf

scan0009.pdf

scan0010.pdf

scan0011.pdf

scan0012.pdf

scan0013.pdf

scan0015.pdf

scan0016.pdf

Sudarshan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan0014.pdf (100.2 KB, 1478 views)

Last edited by Sudarshan : 4th April 2012 at 08:45.
Sudarshan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 17:25   #2
BANNED

Re: High-Lift Jack Instruction Manual Shared (How to use one!)

I nearly forgot last two pages ( were separate for my model of Jack )

Adding it here & also the decals ( various warning stickers ) in color for better readability

here , have a look

High-Lift Jack Instruction Manual  Shared (How to use one!)-scan0001rszf.jpg

High-Lift Jack Instruction Manual  Shared (How to use one!)-scan0002rszf.jpg

High-Lift Jack Instruction Manual  Shared (How to use one!)-scan0004a.jpg

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 17:51   #3
BHPian

Sudharsan ji,

You have always been helpful to many in many ways, i see such kind of attitude in many jeepers.

I specifically mention jeepers because from my personal experience i can say many unknown faces come for your rescue when you stand not knowing how to proceed with things. Jeep bug also has this quality to help others in its venom i hope !!

Undoubtedly you are a gift to T-BHP.
crazyjeeperk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 18:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

Recently a friend bought such a jack but apparently there is no manual with it , so it prompted me to share this here . ( could have PMed him but chose to share here )
Awesome stuff and thanks for sharing it here. Would also love to hear more on winches and their practical aspects while in use. I know you have a trick or two up your sleeves.

BTW, when you bought this hi-lift jack, how much did it cost you?

Spike
Old 5th April 2012, 10:31   #5
BHPian

Good Stuff, I also have a manual on Hi- lift jack, I hope this would be useful.. find attached below... This came with a CD brochure when I got the jack..

Also a link to the video from the manufacture of how to properly use the Hi-Lift Jack

http://www.youtube.com/v/MrfbR4REV-s&hl=en
Attached Files
File Type: pdf jack_instructions.pdf (1.17 MB, 761 views)

Last edited by Twinn : 5th April 2012 at 10:34.
Twinn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 08:26   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
=== I know you have a trick or two up your sleeves.
I am developing a sort of tool ( Accessory ) to be used along with both the winch & High Lift at my home workshop , it has passed the concept & drawing stage & half ready -- I will certainly share it after the initial trials* & post it here

Quote:
BTW, when you bought this hi-lift jack, how much did it cost you?

Spike
It was acquired in 07 (& the winch in 03 ), & been using it for workshop purposes also. Its a great All Rounder tool -- provided you take basic safety precautions (Like stabilizing the load or securing it ) Many times used it for spreading purposes also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Good Stuff, I also have a manual on Hi- lift jack, I hope this would be useful.. =====
Fantastic job Twinns -- Your manual is more clear than my copy -- & the link you provided too is a very good one Thanks again

If you have bought any accessories with it then please share those too --

Infact I invite everyone to share details here

Sudarshan
Old 6th April 2012, 12:22   #7
BHPian

Sudharshan,

What did this jack cost you and where did you buy it from?

I very nice utility for an off roader, due to its many other uses than a simple jack but how useful is it for sedan and normal car users?

Also what is the weight like? How heavy is it?

Would definitely like to come and see it some time!
Old 6th April 2012, 20:42   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Sudharshan,

What did this jack cost you and where did you buy it from?
I dont remember the exact amount , but it was somewhere around 6 K .
I got it from a friend

Quote:
very nice utility for an off roader, due to its many other uses than a simple jack but how useful is it for sedan and normal car users?
I dont think its Suitable for modern day Sedans ( Cars ) as there is no Bumper sturdy enough upon which you could lift the car & the body being rounded, so the lifting Tip of the Jack wont reach the Jack up points provided by the Manufacturer of the car ( See attached Drawing )

High-Lift Jack Instruction Manual  Shared (How to use one!)-ailssideillus.jpg

Unless

1) the wheel lifting accessory provided by the Jack maker is applied OR
2 ) some special tool/ attachment is made ( that I am trying to make - as mentioned in earlier post )

Quote:
Also what is the weight like? How heavy is it?
It depends on the length of the jack ( its mentioned in one of the pdfs I have provided in post # 1 ) ,

My jack weighs up to 15 kg +

Quote:
Would definitely like to come and see it some time!
Why not ? anytime , Sure

Sudarshan
Old 10th April 2012, 11:28   #9
BANNED

I want to share an Idea , A Tool to be used with the High-Lift Jack (that I talked earlier )

This will be made of a simple 4" high & some 5 feet long I section steel beam .

This will be made to lift the vehicle from its side -Without damaging any body panel. We all know that there are good lifting points in front & rear of the vehicles ( Jeeps ) in particular , but none on the sides .

I want frank opinions , suggestions . or even if its possible at all or not . ( safety is also another important aspect )
I want to know from people who use High-Lift jacks regularly

Based upon the inputs & opinions & suggestions I am going to make this in my home workshop

have a look
High-Lift Jack Instruction Manual  Shared (How to use one!)-i-section-jack.png

Sudarshan
Old 10th April 2012, 11:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I want to share an Idea , A Tool to be used with the High-Lift Jack (that I talked earlier )

This will be made of a simple 4" high & some 5 feet long I section steel beam .

This will be made to lift the vehicle from its side -Without damaging any body panel. We all know that there are good lifting points in front & rear of the vehicles ( Jeeps ) in particular , but none on the sides .

I want frank opinions , suggestions . or even if its possible at all or not . ( safety is also another important aspect )
I want to know from people who use High-Lift jacks regularly

Based upon the inputs & opinions & suggestions I am going to make this in my home workshop

have a look
Attachment 914306

Sudarshan
Am not one who uses a High lift jack regularly or for that matter even rarely.. haven't used it ever! but just the physics of the whole thing is making me reply to this.

Why would you want to do this when
1. you could get a normal hydraulic jack (with the same SWL) that you can slide under the chassis and lift the jeep?
2. wouldn't using the leverage reduce the actual lifting capability (SWL) of the high lift jack?
3. The I beam will require a fixable end to prevent sliding when the weight of the jeep starts getting transferred to the jack.

My 2 bits.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:21   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post

Why would you want to do this when
1. you could get a normal hydraulic jack (with the same SWL) that you can slide under the chassis and lift the jeep?
High -Lifts are used mainly for recovery purpose of a 4x4 , & when such vehicles are stuck there is normally no chance for the driver to slide any Jack below the axle ( or thing like that ). One can lift a stuck wheel or raise the chassis to such a height to put something under the stuck wheel making it easier to role out .

Normal Jacks lift the vehicle in inches , but Hi- Lifts like their name lift it high really high , its normally a feet or + depending on safety restrictions .

Quote:
2. wouldn't using the leverage reduce the actual lifting capability (SWL) of the high lift jack?
It depends on how far the lifting point is from the Jack end of the I beam

Quote:
3. The I beam will require a fixable end to prevent sliding when the weight of the jeep starts getting transferred to the jack.
My 2 bits.
One end of the I beam will always be connected to the Jack & another on ground , IMHO the lifting bracket ( that touches the chassis ) Needs to be 'sliding' on the beam but attached too .

Sudarshan
Old 10th April 2012, 12:23   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Sudarshanji,

I've used my jack a few times in my old classic.

Interesting idea you have. In principle, the concept is like a type 2 lever... aka the wheel barrow which is the most efficient lever available.

These are my thoughts; can you elaborate / comment:

- you want to use it for regular tyre change on tarmac or road or for offroad situations when one is bogged down?

- as the jack goes higher, won't there be a chance of slippage of the beam? From both chassis and fulcrum point on the ground?

- won't it be an unnecessary dead weight to carry (unless you use the beam also as a bridging ladder or vice versa, modify a bridging ladder to for for your idea)

- if you plan to use it in an offroad situation where the tyre is bogged in slush, the beam will keep sinking when pressure is applied unless you make a base for it

- why not use a hi lift jack mate which attaches to the tyre? (used for bogged situations of course and not to change tyres)

Regards,

Tejas

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 10th April 2012 at 12:25. Reason: added wheel barrow comment.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 12:41   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

Interesting idea you have. In principle, the concept is like a type 2 lever... aka the wheel barrow which is the most efficient lever available.
Please explain this concept sounds new ( may be I know it by another name )

Quote:
- you want to use it for regular tyre change on tarmac or road or for offroad situations when one is bogged down?
That is left entirely on the user & his intelligence

Quote:
- as the jack goes higher, won't there be a chance of slippage of the beam? From both chassis and fulcrum point on the ground?
I dont have mathematical calculations with me now , once this Idea gets cleared as feasible by off road experts 'here' I will try it & measure the slide in its actual use

Quote:
- won't it be an unnecessary dead weight to carry (unless you use the beam also as a bridging ladder or vice versa, modify a bridging ladder to for for your idea)
the dead weight Issue depends entirely on the vehicle's power to weight ratio . Possibilities are endless

Quote:
- if you plan to use it in an offroad situation where the tyre is bogged in slush, the beam will keep sinking when pressure is applied unless you make a base for it
Depends , base plate may be required

Quote:
- why not use a hi lift jack mate which attaches to the tyre? (used for bogged situations of course and not to change tyres)
Imagine Endless uses , this Idea is free to be improvised upon or I may simply opt to scrap it ( not actually as I have got the I beam for free )

The whole Idea came up when I saw people using leverage to handle Large loads along with other kind of lifting devices .

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 10th April 2012 at 12:44.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 12:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please explain this concept sounds new ( may be I know it by another name )
Dear Sudarshanji,

Attaching an image about what i meant:

Name:  Screen Shot 20120410 at 12.44.34 PM.png
Views: 5367
Size:  39.8 KB

Source: http://www.kampster.com/techedgeek/levers/Levers.html

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 10th April 2012 at 12:48. Reason: added source
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 06:02   #15
BHPian

sudarshans idea is an interesting one.

I have used the Hi lift quite extensively and like any lifting or winching equipment have found it to be quite dangerous in certain situations.

It can be especially dangerous on uneven ground(which is most off road situations)

The problem with the Hi lift is in a real world situation it becomes very unstable and tends to tip over,as you jack up the vehicle which is also usually unstable.

I have found most times you need one person to operate the jack and another to steady the jack so it does not tip over, really not recommended.

so the main limitation with the Hi lift is it's unstable and any thing you design will have to work around this tendency.

The more complicated the design e.g too many attachments,too heavy and bulky,complicated to use will make it impractical in the field due to weight and space constraints.

It would have to be tested in the field to see if it really works.
motocamp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks