Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2006, 07:19   #16
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Sports cars have low ground clearance and wide low-profile tires on large shallow wheels. They are meant to run on concrete expressways and specially prepared racing tracks.

Off-road Jeeps are quite the opposite. They have high ground clearance and are supposed to have huge high-profile tires on smaller deep wheels.
They are meant to run on muddy rocky river beds.

Don't go by sports car considerations, otherwise you will produce a girlie main-street Jeep.

Ram
Old 13th September 2006, 08:31   #17
BHPian

BUDDY,
which tyre is the second one...
would like to have one that looks like that...
offroad one...
Old 13th September 2006, 11:41   #18
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Dear Zulfikar:

Those tires are Mickey-Thompson Baja Claw unidirectional radials.

Here is a pic of an American 1984 Jeep CJ-7 wearing Mickey-Thomson Baja Claw 35x12.50R15 tires.

To use this tire, you need a 15-inch rim that is at least 8.5 inches wide!
The rim in the picture is an "Outlaw-II" rim, by a company called American-Racing.
reference: http://www.restore4x4.com/Outlaw-II-Series-17267.html

The tread pattern channels the water away, making the tire good even for driving in rain. However being a directional tire, once a tire is mounted for the left-hand side of the Jeep and used, (either in front or in the rear), it cannot be used on the right-hand side, without severe increase of wear.
Off-road people in the USA and in Australia, usually carry two stepneys, one for the left-hand-side and one for the right-hand-side.

I should also introduce you to a product called Paint Over Rust (POR-15) for anti-rust treatment. There are other competing products too!
POR-15 is a chemical that can be directly applied to rusted metal. The chemical is colorless when applied and on exposure to the atmosphere it oxidises to a black colored, stone-hard Araldite-like glaze that won't break, crack, or rub off. It becomes chemically inert. Importantly, it makes the rusted or bright metal inert, and stops it from rusting further forever!
reference: www.por15.com

Ram

Last edited by Ram : 13th September 2006 at 11:48.
Old 16th September 2006, 15:45   #19

hi
If you are looking for any kind of performance All Terrain SUV tyres there is no match world over to the Bridgestone A/T REVO now selling here as D694 A/T,they are like hot cakes in the US.
you can go for the 235/75R15 BRIDGESTONE D694 A/T tubeless tyres with white letter sidewall which makes them look cool...as one of my friend got them in his scorpio recently......they will cost you approx Rs4900 a piece in bangalore apart from the regular one's @ Rs4700/piece to Rs4900.

But if you chose to go for the 265/70R15 which is again available in the Bridgestone D694 A/T pattern it will cost you Rs6400

Also you can try the BF Goodrich All Terrain 31X10.5 at around Rs6700
Old 28th September 2006, 11:08   #20
BHPian

well came back from hyd on wednesday...
the jeep is taking more time than expected...
its with my uncle and he was suppose to give it to me last week, but he had some other important work so he didnt even touch my Jeep...
and as ramzan started its going to be posponed till after ramzan, so i am stuck without a car for atleast 1.5 months...

i had plans of driving it down to bangalore...
Old 7th February 2007, 08:53   #21
BHPian

Tubeless tyres: good for offroading?

How suitable are tubeless tyres when taken off road? They are certainly easier to fix after a puncture. But do they handle better than a normal tube based tyre?

I am running the stock 205 on the new gypsy. Do you recommend upgrading to a tubeless in the same size or perhaps a 215? I saw a Bridgestone 215 (Dueller??) which i quite liked! Has anyne here fitted the 215 to their gypsy? Hows the handling with those?
Old 7th February 2007, 10:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

Tube/tubeless does not have anything to do with offroading. You get Offroad tires in both tube type and tubeless versions. As for using normal tires in off road conditions, the only problem is that if a sharp rock cuts your sidewall you are without a tire, but with a tube type, you just have a little gash.
I doubt you will find many nails etc., in an off road environment. so from sidewall cut point of view get a dedicated off road tire if you are going tubeless.
Old 9th February 2007, 13:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey,

I have used a 215/70 R15 Pirelli Tubeless on my Gypsy King and it does perform well Off the Road..[Ex670C] Arka has witnessed the same during one of our off road meets..

So Tubeless is the way to go!!
Old 9th February 2007, 13:39   #24
Team-BHP Support

Our GYPSY had Tubeless tires. Real big goodyear ones. Did quite a lot of off-roading in that, including River bed driving upstream, against the current with water kissing the bumper.
Got one puncture, which would retain as long as we were on road, but as soon as we did such aqua offroading the plug would start leaking.
This was about 5-6 years back, I guess now we have much better tubeless puncture repair kits.
Old 9th February 2007, 14:02   #25
BHPian

tsk1979: That would suck! On a road like Manali-Leh there are atleast 4 river crossings andmany mroe smaller water crossings. If i have had a punctured tyre fixed with a plug, it would start leaking?
Old 9th February 2007, 14:29   #26
Team-BHP Support

Its was 5 years back what I am talking about. Don't know about the state of affairs now.
In a tube tire when you fix a puncture on the tube its more or less isolated from the environment, as the glue is sticking the tape to the hole in the tube, so non glue part gets the environment part.
In a patch fix on a tubeless tire, its the other way round.
Don't know about the simple glueless plug though, that could work just fine, as it a plug, but can't be sure.
Old 11th February 2007, 13:40   #27
BHPian

Got a quote for tubeless tyres yesterday. I checked out Bridgestone Duelers HT68 and a Goodyear model 3700 per piece and he is willing to pay 200 bucks for 205R which are currently mounted on my gypsy. The dealer recomended one brand called Harddycock (spelling?).

According to him it is lighter and will give much better mileage.

I am looking for someting with a decent tread and capable of doing a fair bit of offroading without too much of loss of ride quality/milage on-road.

Also what is your thought with regards to 205 vs 215? Do you recomend upsizing? (this is a gypsy!).

Your recomendation?
Old 12th February 2007, 02:41   #28
Team-BHP Support

Gypsy has no power steering. So keep that in mind. IF you have good muscles or want to build then go for 215. Remember that in 215 is advantageous over 205 only in looks, if you are looking for offroading, 205s will do as well.
Upsize is good for looks but sucks otherwise(again, personal experience)
Old 12th February 2007, 08:37   #29
BHPian

would a 215 affect pickup and mileage negatively?
Old 12th February 2007, 10:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
... The dealer recomended one brand called Harddycock (spelling?). ...

Did he mean Hankook?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks