Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2013, 14:17   #1516
BHPian

Re: Lp1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Sharath,

The Regular JEEP Rim weighs 9Kgs, the Army Rims (Pre-NGCS) LP1109 weigh 13.5Kgs.

The Army Rims have 2 major issues

i) Additional Weight

ii) Since they are second hand, they are bent & dis-balanced

The above 2 can wreak havoc on the CKKP Front Axles, inducing wheel wobble, uneven tyre wear and makes the suspension heavier.

The Regular 140PCD perforated Wheel Discs look nice but are very prone to get bent, so I would suggest the Regular JEEP Rim and 7.00X16 if you are on a budget.

Regards,

Arka
Are the NGCS rims lighter? Or does the more rugged steering box make it unnecessary to get lighter rims?
Old 28th November 2013, 10:30   #1517
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lp1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekjayasheel View Post
Are the NGCS rims lighter? Or does the more rugged steering box make it unnecessary to get lighter rims?
Hi Vivek,

The NGCS Rims are lighter than the LP1109, but heavier then regular JEEP Rims.

Also the NGCS vehicles have a 160PCD, where as the older vehicles have 139.7PCD.

AFAIK, only a few NGCS load carriers use 139.7PCD.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 00:27   #1518
Team-BHP Support

re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Anybody has experience in Goodyear Wrangler AT/ SA (SilentArmor)?

Apparently they have very good sidewall protection. It is also the only one among the top 5 AT tyres, that is available in India.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

The Goodyear India website has this tyre, but is it really available?

http://www.goodyear.co.in/tyre_detai...de=at_sa#sizes

I wanted to upgrade to 31X10.5R15 AT tyre. But I have given up, they are just not available in India. So I am sticking to 235/75R15 which still has AT tyres.

Last edited by Samurai : 4th December 2013 at 00:29.
Old 9th December 2013, 01:01   #1519
BHPian

So let me get this straight... There is absolutely NO mt alternative for someone who wishes to retain the 16-inch NGCS rims and wants a tyre that is at least 31 inches tall? In other words, no MT alternative to the Apology Bullet Sand & Highway? This is hilarious! No wonder everyone's blindly advocating 15" rims and Trepadors... Maybe just my personal opinion but an Army jeep loses a lot of its majesty (not to mention precious ground clearance) on stunted wheels & tyres.

Last edited by vivekjayasheel : 9th December 2013 at 01:05.
Old 16th December 2013, 15:30   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Pirelli Scorpion ATR vs. Continental Crosscontact A/T?

I will be changing my Fortuner tyres (265/65/R17) in the near future, and have narrowed down the replacement options to these 2. Don't want the stock tyres - too expensive, softer than a proper A/T.

Don't find much about the Scorpion ATRs here, though they are rated pretty highly in 4X4 forums in Australia and South Africa for mixed use (60% onroad, 40% offroad, say). My typical use case is driving fast for x00/x000 kms and then offroading.

Anyone has long term experience with Scorpion ATRs? I am favouring them at the moment.

P.S. I would give on road safety (e.g. in wet conditions) a higher weightage than absolute durability. I might not live to enjoy that durability if the tyre throws a tantrum on the highway
Old 17th December 2013, 11:02   #1521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I will be changing my Fortuner tyres (265/65/R17) in the near future, and have narrowed down the replacement options to these 2. .....
Hi Nilanjan I would highly recommend the continental cross contact AT for off-road grip. They look badass and have no problems on the highway either. Their off-road grip especially in slush is remarkable for an AT tyre. Check it out.
Old 29th December 2013, 17:01   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So let me get this straight... There is absolutely NO mt alternative for someone who wishes to retain the 16-inch NGCS rims and wants a tyre that is at least 31 inches tall? In other words, no MT alternative to the Apology Bullet Sand & Highway? This is hilarious! No wonder everyone's blindly advocating 15" rims and Trepadors... Maybe just my personal opinion but an Army jeep loses a lot of its majesty (not to mention precious ground clearance) on stunted wheels & tyres.
One option: Get some good casings for 7.00-16 (typical school bus, etc) or 7.50-16 (Mazda trucks, 404 maybe, etc) and get 'em remolded:

Saw these as remolds in Aizawl, Mizoram (they've got a lot of rain and slippery clay out there in the season). Shop owner was from Kerala and sources his rubber from there directly. Brand name kind of visible in the second photo, if you can make it out. Tread not too unlike the CEAT HT85's, etc typically fitted on Gypsies, but in comparison, the side lugs take up a greater percentage of the width area, and should provide some decent forward push through slippery stuff, while the more solid centers should provide decent enough stopping performance on wet/dry pavement. Probably a pretty cost-effective solution, too, if you can find casings at a reasonable price.

-Eric
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-img00734.jpg  

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-img00735.jpg  

ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 17:05   #1523
Senior - BHPian

With snow having arrived and one little mishap the morning after (while hardly even moving, touched the brakes and the Marshal slid sideways off the road, and ended up broadside right up against a stone retaining wall), I decided I needed new tires NOW. Haven't found the ideal solution in a taller-than-stock tire, but as 6.00-16's go, these look decent:

(J-K Tyre Trak-Tuff.... positively agrarian!)

Needless to say, I'm hooking up a little better now.

-Eric

P.S. If radials of moderate size / price are preferred, I noticed that the Xylo uses 215-75-16's, which might be only a little shorter than these. MRF Wanderer AT, etc, available in this size. I'm going to be looking into that size for my summer tires.
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-s0706470.jpg  

Last edited by ringoism : 29th December 2013 at 17:10.
Old 29th December 2013, 18:23   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
One option: Get some good casings for 7.00-16 (typical school bus, etc) or 7.50-16 (Mazda trucks, 404 maybe, etc) and get 'em remolded:

Saw these as remolds in Aizawl, Mizoram... Probably a pretty cost-effective solution, too, if you can find casings at a reasonable price.

-Eric
If that tread doesn't work for you, here's another meaty-looking remold:
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-img00801.jpg  

Old 30th December 2013, 17:33   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vivek Ji,
You can opt for Maxxis Bighorn 764 245/75/16. James have them on NGCS rims on his Bolero.

Shubhendra
Old 30th December 2013, 18:18   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Vivek Ji,
You can opt for Maxxis Bighorn 764 245/75/16. James have them on NGCS rims on his Bolero.

Shubhendra
I was running something similar for ~ 1 year - except BFG A/Ts on stock army rims. Now running the same on 139.7 16"alloys [I got a good swap deal on the alloys..]
Old 1st January 2014, 23:25   #1527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Vivek Ji,

Shubhendra
That is still an unladen height of 30.7 inches only which will reduce to ~30 as MTs flex more when laden. I know it's nitpicking, but there really is nothing above 31 and close to 32 in that size in our country it seems...
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:46   #1528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is still an unladen height of 30.7 inches only which will reduce to ~30 as MTs flex more when laden. I know it's nitpicking, but there really is nothing above 31 and close to 32 in that size in our country it seems...
Forget about 31 inches, a good driver can easily manage with 6.00x16 NDMS. just think practically, what different does it make between 30.7 and 31 ? Else go for 9.00x16 NDMS

Shubhendra
Old 7th January 2014, 18:24   #1529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post

A 215-85R16 Dunlop Rover R/T tire would fit, but to the best of my knowledge this radial tire size is not available anywhere in India (except with the Indian Army?).

I just sourced 205/80-16 LT JK Tyre Brute 4x4 at 10,500/pr here in Manali. I suspect you could get them cheaper elsewhere. They're listed in the JK catalog under "Jeep", along with the 6.00-16's, and are just about the same height, at just shy of 29"diameter, but a good bit wider and with superior radial technology. Seems just about the right size for Jeeps - wide enough to improve road performance, but not so wide as to unreasonably increase steering effort, etc. According to the website, these are also available in 215-75-16, which is about the same height, but just a tad wider.

Not sure exactly how good/bad the "4x4" version of the Brute is compared to other radial tires offroad, but the tread looks like it's got to be better than typical "all-season" tires, and I do like the LT designation, which indicates "light truck", i.e., higher load/ply rating with a bit stiffer, more damage-resistant sidewalls and casing.

Wish I'd known about these before I bought my rugged but rather antiquated "Trak-Tuffs" a couple weeks ago. I already had 205/80-16 radials on the rear, but these were second-hand imports (from sector 45 Chandigarh), and I had no idea till now that this size was available in India.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 7th January 2014 at 18:25.
Old 24th March 2014, 10:46   #1530
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pirelli Scorpion ATR vs. Continental Crosscontact A/T?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I will be changing my Fortuner tyres (265/65/R17) in the near future, and have narrowed down the replacement options to these 2. Don't want the stock tyres - too expensive, softer than a proper A/T.

Don't find much about the Scorpion ATRs here, though they are rated pretty highly in 4X4 forums in Australia and South Africa for mixed use (60% onroad, 40% offroad, say). My typical use case is driving fast for x00/x000 kms and then offroading.

Anyone has long term experience with Scorpion ATRs? I am favouring them at the moment.

P.S. I would give on road safety (e.g. in wet conditions) a higher weightage than absolute durability. I might not live to enjoy that durability if the tyre throws a tantrum on the highway
Didn't get much response on my query. Can folks who have experience with both respond?

Don't care about looks, functionality is more important.

Most Viewed