Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2014, 11:30   #1561
Senior - BHPian

re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
I want tyre which can enhance the look of the vehicle. Mostly it will be driven on road. Thanks.
you can go as big as 31 inches on 15 inches rims/alloys or 265 on 16 inches rims/alloys. If you are going to take it to offroad rarely than buy a good set of AT tyres. for more information, go through this thread, you will get most of your answers......

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 27th November 2014, 22:57   #1562
BHPian

Thanks shubhendra Singh. Can you suggest a suitable make along with a mag/rim make keeping in mind pcd odd MM540. Thanks. The vehicle is without power steering.
Old 28th November 2014, 02:09   #1563
BANNED

Would these tyres be suitable for use on a MM550 or Thar?
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-mrf.jpg  

Old 28th November 2014, 11:27   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Would these tyres be suitable for use on a MM550 or Thar?
Yes, in the 7.50 16 size.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 12:12   #1565
BHPian

Re: All T-BHP 4x4 JEEP Pics!!

Hi L.o.R,

The 35 inch tall tyre would definitely reduce both approach and departure angles. Because of the size, the steering lock positions on either side will have to be re adjusted so that the tyre doesn' brush against the wheel well / fenders. In my opinion, the turning radius of the Jeep will go up by at least 15% with the 9.00x16 size tyres. (Jeep Guru's please enlighten us on this)
Using of spacers can solve this problem but, they are not recommended for OTR activity.

Best regards,

Sudhir.
Old 17th December 2014, 13:39   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
Hi L.o.R,

The 35 inch tall tyre would definitely reduce both approach and departure angles. Because of the size, the steering lock positions on either side will have to be re adjusted so that the tyre doesn' brush against the wheel well / fenders. In my opinion, the turning radius of the Jeep will go up by at least 15% with the 9.00x16 size tyres. (Jeep Guru's please enlighten us on this)
Using of spacers can solve this problem but, they are not recommended for OTR activity.

Best regards,

Sudhir.
Sudhir,

I am glad you brought up turning radius and track width into this discussion.

I would not want to use spacers, especially in a vehicle meant for off road use. But having said that, what about using axles that are wider that the stock axles?

For example, load carriers such as Tata 407 Etc. do coming in 4X4 Avatars and the track width of such vehicles would be roughly be about 62 inches give or take a couple of inches.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

L.o.R
Old 17th December 2014, 20:29   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeoffroad View Post
Sudhir,

I am glad you brought up turning radius and track width into this discussion.

I would not want to use spacers, especially in a vehicle meant for off road use. But having said that, what about using axles that are wider that the stock axles?

For example, load carriers such as Tata 407 Etc. do coming in 4X4 Avatars and the track width of such vehicles would be roughly be about 62 inches give or take a couple of inches.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

L.o.R
I won't be able to comment on this L.o.R. I suggest that you take expert opinion on this issue. Having wider axils that of a Tata 407 along with bigger tyres will drain the torque of the original Jeep engine due to the dead weight hence, may require a bigger engine transplant, mated to a transfer case etc, etc.

Best regards,

Sudhir.
Old 18th December 2014, 01:27   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
I won't be able to comment on this L.o.R. I suggest that you take expert opinion on this issue. Having wider axils that of a Tata 407 along with bigger tyres will drain the torque of the original Jeep engine due to the dead weight hence, may require a bigger engine transplant, mated to a transfer case etc, etc.

Best regards,

Sudhir.
Thanks for all your input so far Sudhir,

@JeepGuru's:

Please help me list the pros and cons of using a larger axle, say from a Tata 407 4X4 or any such vehicle in a Jeep.
In US terms, this would be the move from lets say a Dana 40 to a Dana 60 axle.

Please bear in mind that the same would be used with 35+ inches tyre and the torque loss because of the same would be accounted for.

Thanks,

L.o.R
Old 18th December 2014, 11:14   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please help me list the pros and cons of using a larger axle, say from a Tata 407 4X4 or any such vehicle in a Jeep.
If i am not wrong Tata 407 also use Dana 44 axles.

Shubhendra
Old 18th December 2014, 20:09   #1570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 35 inch tall tyre would definitely reduce both approach and departure angles.
Hi,

Could you please explain how?
Quote:
Because of the size, the steering lock positions on either side will have to be re adjusted so that the tyre doesn' brush against the wheel well / fenders. In my opinion, the turning radius of the Jeep will go up by at least 15% with the 9.00x16 size tyres.
In a 48" and 51" axle, yes. But, these should be just fine in a 57" Ball Joint type axles (Mahindra Bolero, Camper, NGCS Pick Up etc..)
Quote:
In offroad, when speeds are very less could you please explain why they are not recommended?
Quote:
Having wider axils that of a Tata 407 along with bigger tyres will drain the torque of the original Jeep engine due to the dead weight hence, may require a bigger engine transplant, mated to a transfer case etc, etc.
Wider axles wont require a more powerful engine. But bigger OD tyres will change the overall gearing, and will require a final drive ratio change. Nothing else.
Quote:
Please bear in mind that the same would be used with 35+ inches tyre and the torque loss because of the same would be accounted for.
If you just need wider axles, go for 57" ones. And to account for larger tyres, change the final drive ratio. Lots of combinations available. You will be good to go.

Last edited by dhanushs : 18th December 2014 at 20:11.
Old 19th December 2014, 02:50   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi,

If you just need wider axles, go for 57" ones. And to account for larger tyres, change the final drive ratio. Lots of combinations available. You will be good to go.

Hi Dhanushs,

Thank you for the information. I was looking towards the 407 axles because the Jeep in question would have a SPOA suspension setup and wider axles would help to compensate for the increased height.

Also,

I have seen the internals for this axle and the half shaft are definitely beefier than that of a Jeep and also, it is a four pinion design, fully floating in the rear.

This added strength should help when it comes to the added stresses with respect to the lower gearing that would be needed.

Thanks,

L.o.R
Old 13th January 2015, 16:02   #1572
BHPian

Hi.

I have recently bought mm540. Planning to change to alloys size 10j and Tyre size 31x10x15. Just wanted to know if it's OK. And whether it will make steering hard?

Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 16:15   #1573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Dhanushs,

Also,

I have seen the internals for this axle and the half shaft are definitely beefier than that of a Jeep and also, it is a four pinion design, fully floating in the rear.

This added strength should help when it comes to the added stresses with respect to the lower gearing that would be needed.

Thanks,

L.o.R
Why you need axles of Tata 407 ? Jeep axles are very strong and its RARE to break them. I hope you will find below information useful.
This information was posted by none other than Jeep expert Arka on a different portal (4wd4all.com)

The Tata 407 Specs

Front - Steyr-Oerlikon Type with 4.6:1 Ratio CV Axle & 4 Pinion Carrier. Left Off-Set

Rear - Steyr-Oerlikon Type with 4.6:1 Ratio & 4 Pinion Carrier FFRA with Centre Diff.

T-Case - Steyr-Oerlikon with 2H-4L Single Speed Divorced T-Case (2.02:1)

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 15th January 2015, 05:33   #1574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Why you need axles of Tata 407 ? Jeep axles are very strong and its RARE to break them. I hope you will find below information useful.
This information was posted by none other than Jeep expert Arka on a different portal (4wd4all.com)

The Tata 407 Specs

Front - Steyr-Oerlikon Type with 4.6:1 Ratio CV Axle & 4 Pinion Carrier. Left Off-Set

Rear - Steyr-Oerlikon Type with 4.6:1 Ratio & 4 Pinion Carrier FFRA with Centre Diff.

T-Case - Steyr-Oerlikon with 2H-4L Single Speed Divorced T-Case (2.02:1)

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

Hi Shubhendra Sir,

I completely agree about the strength of the Fully Floating Jeep axles but having said that, the strength is relative.

With the increase in tire size and additional torque/gearing, the chances of failure do increase.

The consideration of a axle from a higher payload vehicle was to negate this and ensure reliability.

Thank you for the information though.

Regards,

L.o.R
Old 15th January 2015, 11:19   #1575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With the increase in tire size and additional torque/gearing, the chances of failure do increase.

The consideration of a axle from a higher payload vehicle was to negate this and ensure reliability.
SIR,
we are talking very relative here, what tyre size you are planning to fit ? What engine ? torque rating ? etc. etc.
If you are planning to use tyre within 35", you are good with existing Mahindra Diffs, think about Propeller shaft and start joints which WILL snap out in every opportunity they get (telling by experience, no google knowledge)

Regards,
SHubhendra Singh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks