Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2015, 11:42   #1576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
SIR,
we are talking very relative here, what tyre size you are planning to fit ? What engine ? torque rating ? etc. etc.
If you are planning to use tyre within 35", you are good with existing Mahindra Diffs, think about Propeller shaft and start joints which WILL snap out in every opportunity they get (telling by experience, no google knowledge)

Regards,
SHubhendra Singh
Shubhendra Sir,

The tyre in question is a 36 inch one.

But i agree with your point about the propeller shaft and the star joints.

Thanks.

Regards,

L.o.R
Old 20th January 2015, 13:59   #1577

re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

A question for Jeep Gurus.

I am looking to change the army rims of M550. What are the options available if I need to retain 235/70 R16 AT tires.
Old 9th February 2015, 12:59   #1578

Does anybody have any information as to what size wheels I can install on my Tata Telcoline 4x4?

I understand that the original wheels are 5.5x16" size with an offset of 35mm.

I can only find four wheels available in Europe with the 5x160 PCD and 110mm centre bore which range as follows:
7.5x16 offset 10mm
8x16 offset 5mm
7x16 offset 4mm
8x16 offset 0mm

I have read in one of the posts that ideally offset needs to be in the range of 15mm and wider than 7J is not advisable.

Does anybody have real world experience as to what will fit on the Telcoline 4x4 without having to raise the suspension or body lift? I don't mind a bit of modification to the bumper iron or plastic guards.

I was thinking of tyre sizes 255/65 R16 or 235/70 R16 as these are commonly available here and the same overall 28 inches diameter as the original 205/80 R16.
I do not mind upsizing to greater than 28 inch if they will fit.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 28th February 2015, 00:05   #1579

Ok,

So I have answered my own question really.

I found a good deal on a set of 5 used rims and tyres. Wheels are 8x15 with zero offset and tyres are 31x10R15.

The rims are meant for a Land Rover Defender, but I machined up some spigot rings for the hub and used large flanged wheel nuts.

I have only fitted them this evening, and there is some rubbing of the tyre on the edge of the body, behind the wheel arch extension, only on half steering lock. I will remedy this later this weekend though by grinding a little of the body.

Sorry about the bad quality image, hopefully you get the idea.

Old 1st March 2015, 21:39   #1580
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben12345 View Post
Does anybody have any information as to what size wheels I can install on my Tata Telcoline 4x4?
Ben
Sorry mate, I just saw your posting. Tata Safari club in Italy makes steel discs in 160 PCD for the Safari/Telcoline range. I ordered a set couple of years ago. It may still be avilable with them. The only other option is to get steel discs off ebay or source them from India.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 12:54   #1581

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Sorry mate, I just saw your posting. Tata Safari club in Italy makes steel discs in 160 PCD for the Safari/Telcoline range. I ordered a set couple of years ago. It may still be avilable with them. The only other option is to get steel discs off ebay or source them from India.
Thanks,

I did contact one of the online stores that offer the rim, but by the time that they had replied about shipping from Italy to UK, I had already made the deal on the used Land Rover rims already fitted with 90% tread BF Goodrich tyres.

Overall I am happy with my decision anyway.

One thing I noticed about the rims from Italy is that the advertised centre bore is 110mm, whereas my Telcoline has 108mm hubs, so I would have had to make a spigot ring anyway.
Old 7th March 2015, 14:53   #1582

35 inches Vs 33 inches

gentlemen,

I am planning to fit a diammetrically large AT tyre in a Mahindra Armada. The sizes I am looking at, should be in the range of 33" to 35". I am not a big fan of huge width but my research has led me to believe that it is hard to find AT tyres with sample sizes like
  • 33x10.5
  • 35x10.5
  • 33x11.5
  • 35x11.5

I found Maxxis AT-771 Bravo to be the closest to what I have been looking for. But it doesn't come in 33inches and the 35incher is 12.5 inches wide. I hope people here can help me with finding the right AT tyre in the above mentioned sizes.

P.S. Yes I plan to change the differential gear ratio from the stock 4.88:1 to something like 5.39:1 and will also make room by adding a slight lift and reshaping the wheel arches and fenders.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-maxxis_771.jpg  

Old 19th April 2015, 21:21   #1583

I wanted to share some more information with regards my TATA Telcoline TL4 4x4 pick up, because when I was originally trying to research the subject, there was very little help out there.

The wheels are 8x15 with a zero offset, tyres fitted are 10R15, which are the equivalent to modern 31x10.5R15.

There was some modification needed to the body of the truck to fit the wheels and tyres. I had to remove the front mud guard/wheel liner, and bend the lips of the leading edge of the sill, as well as grind a little of the metal. Without doing this, there was some fouling of the corner of the tyre against this part when steering. In the straight ahead position there was no problem.

Since I have installed the tyres and wheels, I have performed a slight lift to the truck. I made some shackles for the rear leaf springs, with three height choices. Standard, +3/4" and +1 1/2". I am using the middle setting at the moment, as the standard shock absorber does not allow for much more than this.

At the front, I did the 'ball joint flip' and also used 20mm spacers below the wishbone. In addition I installed new, thinner bump stops. I have wound the torsion bar adjustment by a total of ten turns, which has raised the front by a around 1 3/4". As it stands, the truck is now quite level, instead of as standard, the rear being higher than the front. Lifting the front has also increased tyre to body clearance.

I am already planning a bigger tyre. Thinking towards a 32x11.5 or 33x10.5 R15 in BF Goodrich KM2 mud terrain pattern.

P1020175 by benski82, on Flickr

P1020177 by benski82, on Flickr

P1020184 by benski82, on Flickr

P1020183 by benski82, on Flickr

P1020178 by benski82, on Flickr

P1020182 by benski82, on Flickr
ben12345 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 21:09   #1584

Hello everyone, I have got a 2006 NGCS which is in the finishing stages with the tinker the tyres I got with the jeep are completely worn out so want to change them but I want to retain the stock Army rims which are in size 16. The tyres I have shortlisted is Maxxis 275/70/R16 in order to retain the height of the Jeep. Can someone inform me the pcd of the army rim is 139 or 160 and whether the maxxis will foul with fenders or body.
Old 13th May 2015, 11:21   #1585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchmonkee View Post
The tyres I have shortlisted is Maxxis 275/70/R16 in order to retain the height of the Jeep. Can someone inform me the pcd of the army rim is 139 or 160 and whether the maxxis will foul with fenders or body.
NGCS has 160 PCD (similar to Thar CRDe/Scorpio/Bolero). I dont think you will be able to fit 275/70/R16 on army rims but go for Maxxis M/T 764 245/75/16 on Army rims and it wont foul with with fenders or body.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Old 24th May 2015, 21:57   #1586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
go for Maxxis M/T 764 245/75/16
Do you know of a source for that tyre & that size in New Delhi? Lots of Bighorns up here, but only seen them on 15" wheels, on Campers/Boleros/Gypsies.

Any info re: suppliers would be much appreciated. The Marshal would be well-nigh unstoppable in snow with those...

Many Thanks,
-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 24th May 2015 at 21:59.
Old 24th May 2015, 22:18   #1587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Finally decided to go with the chinese tires I found, mentioned in my post below.
Attachment 1309251

found ODYKING to be an ok chinese tire manufacturer.
After several months, any update / opinion re: actual performance?

They do look great.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 25th May 2015, 10:39   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Do you know of a source for that tyre & that size in New Delhi? Lots of Bighorns up here, but only seen them on 15" wheels, on Campers/Boleros/Gypsies.

Any info re: suppliers would be much appreciated. The Marshal would be well-nigh unstoppable in snow with those...

Many Thanks,
-Eric
I got a set of said tyres from Mahindra as prize in an event, Mahindra adventure has this perticular tyres in their Thar's. I dont know any dealer in Delhi ( I relocated to Poona few years back) , but I have heard about B K tyres.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 25th May 2015, 13:23   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
After several months, any update / opinion re: actual performance?

They do look great.

Thanks,
Eric
Unfortunately, my running is very low and I have run only 7-800 kms on them. This include two moderate OTR with sandy and slushy trail.

Grip on road is good and offroad is in league of other A/T tires. Decent performance on dry, sand and light slush. In deep slush they become absolute slicks in a second.

I could notice the side wall to be quite weak and flexes a lot.

Over all quite OK for the price and I am satisfied with my decision to go for them.

cheers
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 12:19   #1590
BHPian

My cousin has a Thar and he recently exchanged the stock 6" width steel rims and bought new steel rims with 8" width, however he retained the stock tyres which were shod on the 6" stock rims.

I am planning a trip to Leh with my cousins Thar in the convoy. The things which I am worried about are:

1. Since the stock tyres are now on a wider rim, will the pressure hold or does it increase the risk of a blowout. Should he go for a tyre which matches the 8" rim?

2. If the above answer is no, if the Thar is taken to Leh, due to pressure difference with increase in altitude will the tyre pressure hold?

Thanks in advance!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks