Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2017, 10:42   #1621
BHPian
 
crazyjeeperk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: cuddalore
Posts: 119
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Experts please help me sourcing Apollo Bullet tyres for my 550, if still available at market!
crazyjeeperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 12:31   #1622
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,097
Thanked: 2,851 Times
Default Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
Experts please help me sourcing Apollo Bullet tyres for my 550, if still available at market!
Hi, Frankly the cost of mud terrain tyres have come down drastically. If you factor in the cost of Apollo Bullet Tyre and tube and when you consider the limited life you get from the bullet tyres, it is best to go with mud terrains.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 15:39   #1623
BHPian
 
crazyjeeperk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: cuddalore
Posts: 119
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi, Frankly the cost of mud terrain tyres have come down drastically. If you factor in the cost of Apollo Bullet Tyre and tube and when you consider the limited life you get from the bullet tyres, it is best to go with mud terrains.
Thanks a lot for your valuable advice.
Which mud terrain tyre you recommend, size with price please.
crazyjeeperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 19:13   #1624
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,097
Thanked: 2,851 Times
Default Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
Which mud terrain tyre you recommend, size with price please.
What is your rims size and what tyre are you running now?
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 23:06   #1625
BHPian
 
crazyjeeperk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: cuddalore
Posts: 119
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
What is your rims size and what tyre are you running now?
Army disk with stock Apollo Bullets
crazyjeeperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 12:51   #1626
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,097
Thanked: 2,851 Times
Default Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
Army disk with stock Apollo Bullets
You can go for 245/75/16 or 235/70/16. If you want to retain you existing disk, you can use the same tube from your current tyres.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 16:31   #1627
BHPian
 
ashwinvardhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 29
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
And when I think that these cost less than 1/3rd the cost of mudzillas I cannot stop smiling.
Sir, awesome find. Can you please suggest a place where it can be purchased?
ashwinvardhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2018, 12:12   #1628
BHPian
 
Spinnerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 372
Thanked: 189 Times
Default Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

AT Tyre users, especially thick block designs like BG Goodrich T/A KO2 or Toyo Open Country AT2, do you guys run the tyre at car manufacturer recommended pressure when driving on roads, during your daily use?

This is, assuming is it an SUV, with 80% highway use, with occasional (mild) off road adventures.

Would running it couple of PSI more than manufactured recommended pressure help in maintaining healthy sidewalls?
Spinnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2018, 07:15   #1629
BHPian
 
Harbir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 914
Thanked: 983 Times
Default Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Hi guys. I'm buying a gypsy, should be delivered in about 10 days. I'll get the tyres swapped right away.

I am a big fan of the Hankook Dynapro MT. Other than noise and vibration from uneven treadblock wear after lots of miles, it flat out destroys the Geolandar AT that's on my pajero SFX now. Amazingly, much superior onroad handling AND far greater resistance to punctures and cuts on and off road than the Yokohamas.

But the Dynapro MT doesn't seem to be available anymore and anyway the 31-10.5/15 size wouldn't fit on the stock gypsy.

I can't find a website for maxxis four wheeler tyres either. There just doesn't seem to be any choice for mud tyres that I can find. Can you guys advise what the options are for gypsy tires these days?

I'll get the Geolandar AT as the default option, but frankly I don't like this tyre. I have it on both my Pajero SFX and my Montero and it has proved on both vehicles to be too prone to cuts and punctures.

Ideally i want more rugged tyres with more aggressive tread than the geolandar.

Please advise. If nothing else, Geolandar AT it'll have to be.

Also what size do you think is best?
Harbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2018, 09:00   #1630
BHPian
 
Vikram Arya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Calgary/Shimla
Posts: 210
Thanked: 579 Times
Default Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Hi guys. I'm buying a gypsy, should be delivered in about 10 days. I'll get the tyres swapped right away.

I am a big fan of the Hankook Dynapro MT. Other than noise and vibration from uneven treadblock wear after lots of miles, it flat out destroys the Geolandar AT that's on my pajero SFX now. Amazingly, much superior onroad handling AND far greater resistance to punctures and cuts on and off road than the Yokohamas.

But the Dynapro MT doesn't seem to be available anymore and anyway the 31-10.5/15 size wouldn't fit on the stock gypsy.

I can't find a website for maxxis four wheeler tyres either. There just doesn't seem to be any choice for mud tyres that I can find. Can you guys advise what the options are for gypsy tires these days?

I'll get the Geolandar AT as the default option, but frankly I don't like this tyre. I have it on both my Pajero SFX and my Montero and it has proved on both vehicles to be too prone to cuts and punctures.

Ideally i want more rugged tyres with more aggressive tread than the geolandar.

Please advise. If nothing else, Geolandar AT it'll have to be.

Also what size do you think is best?
I'm probably not the right person to advise as I have just been able to put in 4,800 kms in the last three years since acquiring my Gypsy, however, I will say that my experience has been phenomenal with Geolandars so far. I have driven my vehicle in toughest of terrains without a single puncture. Geolandar is by far the most preferred tire for Gypsys in Himachal and we have some of the worst roads in North India.

If you don't like Yokohamas then Maxxis does offer a few sizes (235/75R15) that I'm not a fan of especially for the Gypsy as it increases the rolling diameter by 10.26% over stock size (29" for 235/75R15 vs 26.3" for 205/70R15).

I believe that you should stick to 215/75R15 as going any bigger would not only increase the steering effort but also play havoc with steering/suspension geometry.

Going for an overtly aggressive tread pattern that come with a mud terrain tire would also result in humming and poor traction in wet weather. My recommendation would be to go in for an all-terrain tire and the optimum size would be 215/75R15 that looks aesthetically pleasing by filling up the wheel well and also increases sidewall height for better ride quality and protection against potential wheel/tire damage.

Maxxis India's website: http://www.maxxisindia.com/index.html

Congratulations on the new car & good luck!
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2018, 14:23   #1631
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 992
Thanked: 1,219 Times
Default Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Hi guys. I'm buying a gypsy, should be delivered in about 10 days. I'll get the tyres swapped right away.

I'll get the Geolandar AT as the default option, but frankly I don't like this tyre. I have it on both my Pajero SFX and my Montero and it has proved on both vehicles to be too prone to cuts and punctures.
With stock Gypsy rims you can upgrade to 235/75/15 easily. 215/75/15 are too thin.
in 235/75/15 size if you dont intend to do hardcore offroading, you can opt for continental cross contact AT tyres.
If you desire for MT tyres, them Maxxis has Trepadors in this size along with Bighorn 764. There are few more imported brands (Radar etc.) which i am not very fond of.
I wont suggest to go for Geolanders as i have burnt my fingers twice with them and seen more than 6-7 incidents of side wall cut. Better to go for Michelin or if you can get Pirelli Scorpion AT (dont get easily).

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 18:38   #1632
BHPian
 
Hondaism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gurgaon/ Mohali
Posts: 95
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Hi guys. I'm buying a gypsy, should be delivered in about 10 days. I'll get the tyres swapped right away. Ideally i want more rugged tyres with more aggressive tread than the geolandar. Please advise. If nothing else, Geolandar AT it'll have to be. Also what size do you think is best?
You can check out the Continental Cross Contact in case your want an aggressive pattern and good tyres. I had them on my V-cross and the tread looks amazing with just one issue - braking was a little compromised during rains. However, I think its definitely worth a look.

Last edited by SmartCat : 19th February 2019 at 20:08. Reason: Shortened quoted post
Hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 20:11   #1633
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,217
Thanked: 555 Times
Default Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
AT Tyre users, especially thick block designs like BG Goodrich T/A KO2 or Toyo Open Country AT2, do you guys run the tyre at car manufacturer recommended pressure when driving on roads, during your daily use?

This is, assuming is it an SUV, with 80% highway use, with occasional (mild) off road adventures.

Would running it couple of PSI more than manufactured recommended pressure help in maintaining healthy sidewalls?
Being an integral part of the Toyo Open country OP/DH dueler design and development team I recommend the following

Normal 80 % highway driving - 2 psi lesser than recommended
Desert driving - 18 to 16 psi
Hard surface off roading 30 to 32 psi
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 07:13   #1634
BHPian
 
Harbir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 914
Thanked: 983 Times
Default Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaism View Post
You can check out the Continental Cross Contact in case your want an aggressive pattern and good tyres. I had them on my V-cross and the tread looks amazing with just one issue - braking was a little compromised during rains. However, I think its definitely worth a look.

Thank you. I just went with Geolandar AT/S. I figured easy availability of replacement tires trumped any advantage I might get from other A/T tyres.
Harbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 10:38   #1635
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 967
Thanked: 358 Times
Default Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Being an integral part of the Toyo Open country OP/DH dueler design and development team I recommend the following

Normal 80 % highway driving - 2 psi lesser than recommended
Desert driving - 18 to 16 psi
Hard surface off roading 30 to 32 psi
Since you were an integral part of TOYO Open Country, is the above recommendation for TOYO Open Country or in general?
starter is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai's Offroad Junkie goes international! Builds offroad track for Mercedes, Hong Kong GTO 4x4 Excursions 12 24th December 2015 14:01
Tubeless tyres on Steel rims RJK Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 185 18th June 2014 16:01
New Tyres and rims ... urgent bamboo Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 39 16th November 2007 20:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks