Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 4th April 2021, 22:54   #1666
BHPian

Default Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
What do YOU mean by "regear" exactly?
I meant changing the pinion and ring gears to a more appropriate gear ratio to better manage the balance of torque and speed caused due to change in the tyre size. Although i want to avoid that as I feel it will be an expensive and tedious project.

Quote:
I hope you are not thinking of doing this for some notion of "good looks".
I actually want to raise the ground clearance a bit more. Additionally, I feel that the original tyres on the Thar don't give it the right 'stance' and the vehicle is really calling out for bigger tyres. 33s would be perfect but as I mentioned, I am unable to find a set of 33s in a good brand.

Quote:
Speaking only for myself, I am going to wait and see if this import ban goes away, like a dead mongoose.
The ban has partially been lifted and tyre companies were granted import licensed in January but I think they are allowed to import only about 40% of their sales volumes from previous years. I discussed the issue with the regional sales head of a reputed brand and he feels that initially the tyre companies want to utilize that 40% volume to bring in tires used more commonly to cater to the demand of luxury vehicles rather than bring in niche sizes for off roaders/enthusiasts.
Old 6th April 2021, 17:39   #1667
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaky_blinder View Post

The ban has partially been lifted and tyre companies were granted import licensed in January but I think they are allowed to import only about 40% of their sales volumes from previous years. I discussed the issue with the regional sales head of a reputed brand and he feels that initially the tyre companies want to utilize that 40% volume to bring in tires used more commonly to cater to the demand of luxury vehicles rather than bring in niche sizes for off roaders/enthusiasts.
I am glad some of you guys explained this tyre import ban.

For awhile there I actually entertained the notion that some power-elite types hyjacked government and funneled the market toward cheap inferior Indian tyres for less than honorable purposes, power and greed. Gee-whizzers, Captain Ned, I am sure glad that isn't so. I am so relieved!

Peaky, how about 4X4 specialty shops like Azad in Mohali and Bimbra in Gurgaon? If they have a tyre you would probably pay big bucks for it...but???

I would avoid radical tyre size changes myself.

Most Viewed