Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2008, 23:03   #136
BHPian

I recently saw a 2007 registered Army MM550 fitted with Apollo "Bullet" tyres. They are similar to the MRF Sandgrips in pattern, spec(7.50 x 165) and purpose (Sand and Highway). Here are some pictures taken from my phone camera:
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-image092.jpg  

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-image093.jpg  

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-image094.jpg  

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-image095.jpg  

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 11th November 2008 at 23:05.
Old 12th November 2008, 00:16   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
. Samurai i dont know about Yokohama Geolander AT-S but i can give first hand experience for Geolandar A/T-II+ tyres which are on my Jeep. These tyres have good sidewall strength and overall performance is good with top rating in rock climbing. These are self cleaning tyres so throws a lot of mud though.
A/T-II+ has been replaced by AT-S. It has better self-cleaning ability I am told. This is the most likely candidate unless I can get Pirelli Scropion ATR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Regarding its performance in the mud, the reports that you read from abroad are for total mud bog slogging. This is not a likely scenario typically. I can assure you that they are much better in the mud than your current tires.
I am not looking for GV tyres now, that was a year back, now I am looking for CJ340 tyres. In the past one year I have received local feedback on BFG T/A KO.

Look at Shakir's MM540 with the same tyre.

He had just come back from Sakleshpur OTR and he was very unhappy with the performance of the tyres. He said the tyres were useless in slush and mud. And I don't want to consider mud tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
You can also try the Bridgestone Dueler A/T 31x10.5 6P.
That's too big for my Jeep. I am thinking of either 205/80R16 or 215/75R16. There are many Dueler A/T types, which one is yours?

Then there are local models: http://www.apollotyres.com/our-produ...y-vehicle.aspx Rainforest-challenge

Finally, I am thinking of switching to 16 inch rims that come with MM650 commander. Is it wise to switch to tubeless with these rims? One hard hit can bend the rims and release the air. Should I use tubeless with tube in it...

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-p92018661.jpg
Old 12th November 2008, 08:38   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
I recently saw a 2007 registered Army MM550 fitted with Apollo "Bullet" tyres. They are similar to the MRF Sandgrips in pattern, spec(7.50 x 165) and purpose (Sand and Highway). Here are some pictures taken from my phone camera:
Hi,
The Appolo Bullet are good tyres and more for road use I feel and better, though the Sandgrip look more muscular, I wonder if someone from the forum could help me to procuere 2008 Sandgrips or Bullets from MRF and Apollo respectively. I need a replacement and a set of 5 for the green Jeep.
Old 12th November 2008, 08:43   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ3b View Post
Dear Fazal,

The Civilian models never had a LSD,

The Models from mid 2000 onwards if i am right had the LSD, not before that, the LSD is from DANA spicer india

some of the Jeeps in the indiam army were White in color & were used by the india MI units & the base units like EME, Army hostpitals extra

Best regards
Vinay thomas
-------------------------------------------
Dear Vinay,
Honestly I could not make out. what is LSD?
Yes about the white jeeps in the army you are right, also DRDO and other units of the defence have them.
I also tried to ask the same to whitemm550, Please eloborate LSD.
Fazal
Old 12th November 2008, 08:47   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Just making sure about the tyres as I am in the process of buying a gypsy king, on which I will be doing an SPOA and fitiing taller tyres. My use will be 80% tarmac and 20% off-road.
jyobeb,
The sandgrips and the rims are too too heavy for the gypsy, go for Michellin tubeless, 165 onwards.
Fazal
Old 12th November 2008, 12:28   #141
Senior - BHPian

Mine is the Revo.. Has done 10926 kms till date... I was going for the Goodyear Armor but couldn't get it then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's too big for my Jeep. I am thinking of either 205/80R16 or 215/75R16. There are many Dueler A/T types, which one is yours?

Last edited by gd1418 : 12th November 2008 at 12:32.
Old 12th November 2008, 14:30   #142
BHPian

Samurai,
I thought that you were looking for tires for you Suzuki. If the tires are for the Jeep, then the BFG Mud Terrains are perfect. Don't know why you say that you are not considering mud terrains and at the same time want good mud performance? None of the all terrain tires will come close to the performance of mud terrain tires in the mud. Just don't be under the impression that you can get a highway tread tire with the performance of a mud terrain.

I have used 30x9.5R15 BFG Mud Terrains on my MM340 and they have performed very well from the the sands in Jodhpur, Manali to Leh and beyond. Never a puncture, awesome traction, and the tread is still in great shape.
Old 12th November 2008, 14:38   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Samurai,
I thought that you were looking for tires for you Suzuki. If the tires are for the Jeep, then the BFG Mud Terrains are perfect. Don't know why you say that you are not considering mud terrains and at the same time want good mud performance?
I have to drive hundreds of KMs to reach the offroad site. While on tar road, the mud tyres can get worn out very fast while giving below average road grip and braking. How do your BFG M/T tyres behave on tarmac?

How are Apollo Hawkz R/T and R/Ts? Anyone used them?
Old 12th November 2008, 23:22   #144
BHPian

Samurai, none of the A/T tyres will do well in mud, their voids are too small and get clogged easily. The orignal tyre diameter on the CL340 was ~29", so you should go for either 225/75R15 or 235/75R15. Try the yoko golander M/T. It is supposed to have decent on-road grip by mud tyre standards. It is a directional tyre.
Old 13th November 2008, 00:13   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dear Vinay,
Honestly I could not make out. what is LSD?
Yes about the white jeeps in the army you are right, also DRDO and other units of the defence have them.
I also tried to ask the same to whitemm550, Please eloborate LSD.
Fazal
Fazal, no offence, but please use the search button. Also remember that google is your best friend.

LSD stands for Limited Slip Differential.
Old 13th November 2008, 08:29   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Fazal, no offence, but please use the search button. Also remember that google is your best friend.

LSD stands for Limited Slip Differential.
Kuttapan,
thanks for the info, I did my checks, but as you know I am here to learn from fellow Jeepers, and the process of learning never stops. Thanks to you now I know what LSD stands for, when I was a kid, LSD was a drug pill used by hippies in the 70's, the most potent one those days.
Old 13th November 2008, 08:58   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kuttapan,
thanks for the info, I did my checks, but as you know I am here to learn from fellow Jeepers, and the process of learning never stops. Thanks to you now I know what LSD stands for, when I was a kid, LSD was a drug pill used by hippies in the 70's, the most potent one those days.
For people who love driving this LSD has the same effect.By the way this is hard to find too.

Last edited by dinar : 13th November 2008 at 09:13.
Old 13th November 2008, 17:38   #148
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder if someone from the forum could help me to procuere 2008 Sandgrips or Bullets from MRF and Apollo respectively
Dear fazal,
No dealer here in bangalore ever knows that there was a tyre called 'bullet' from apollo. So, I have called the apollo regional office in hyderabad to enquire about the bullet. They said, they are legally not allowed to sell them in india. And yeah, they sell them in south africa. The guy said, its better to import them from there. Iam trying to find out the same for sandgrips.

Even iam in the verge of deciding tyres for my jeep. Have decided against the sandgrips and bullets because of their low life(12,000-15,000 kms).
But i really love the stance of my jeep on the sandgrips. Iam in a fix.

Krishna.
Old 11th December 2008, 00:44   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
The Appolo Bullet are good tyres and more for road use I feel and better, though the Sandgrip look more muscular, I wonder if someone from the forum could help me to procuere 2008 Sandgrips or Bullets from MRF and Apollo respectively. I need a replacement and a set of 5 for the green Jeep.
I enquired about the MRF Sandgrips and a dealer here is selling it for 5900/- per tyre. Let me know if you want the details.
Old 11th December 2008, 08:34   #150
SYJ
BHPian

new tyres for my mahindra classic-help needed

hello everyone

i need to change the tyres of my mahindra classic. my purpose of offroading cant be met by those tyres currently installed on my classic as i get very little traction on such situations. so need a new set of tyres for my classic. as iam a newbie for offroading and i dont know which pair and what size would be appropriate for my purpose of offroading. so kindly help me out.the tyres currently installed on my classic are
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-dsc03707.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks