Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2009, 23:38   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thief with a flatbed recovery truck?
Sorry - I guess I spent too much time in Johannesburg. They use JCBs to steal ATMs (yes, the whole ATM) there.

PS: In case you guys are wondering - yes the JCBs used are also stolen. Now lets get back to the more mundane topic of winches being stolen.

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th April 2009 at 23:45.
Old 8th April 2009, 23:44   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post

Of cause the thief could just steal your jeep with the winch on .
Man, why bother?
I mean, why would any thief want to steal a jeep that he knows is going to stop within the next 100meters?
And even if he does, he's prolly going to return it back to you the very next day, 100% intact but with a heafty bill from the mechanics for the repairs he got done
Old 9th April 2009, 00:15   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Thief with a flatbed recovery truck? I haven't seen a service station with flatbed truck in India.
Pity, i've seen old willy's, dodge's and chevy's used by the chd administration, most of them were flatbeds. Nowadays, no-one would even understand why they are flatbeds in the first place.
Old 9th April 2009, 03:10   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thief with a flatbed recovery truck? I haven't seen a service station with flatbed truck in India.
Here's one agency in North India: Our Network
Old 9th April 2009, 12:25   #140
BHPian

well if im not mistaken,
mondial does not have any flat bed recovery trucks
i think to my knowledge there is just one in india
and thats with moi
but again i could be wrong
Old 9th April 2009, 18:49   #141
BHPian

Nope, there are a few car recovery flatbed trucks here in chandigarh. All tata based platforms, with what looks like a 8500-9500lbs warn winch.
Old 12th April 2009, 11:28   #142
Senior - BHPian

The moral of the story is that any winch mounted on a light vehicle like a Gypsy or a SWB Jeep will fail to tug out a heavy MM540 or a Jonga or Scorpio.

If you are likely to get into these situations a Hydraulic wich is recommended, and stay away from Chinese winches.
Old 12th April 2009, 13:27   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post

stay away from Chinese winches.
Does that include Chinese hydraulic winches ?
Old 12th April 2009, 20:27   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The moral of the story is that any winch mounted on a light vehicle like a Gypsy or a SWB Jeep will fail to tug out a heavy MM540 or a Jonga or Scorpio.

If you are likely to get into these situations a Hydraulic wich is recommended, and stay away from Chinese winches.
I will disagree with that.

On our chandigarh OTR I saw a Warn winch(I think) mounted on a Maruti Gypsy successfully pulling out a MM540 or a 550 (I am not sure, but it was definitely a Mahindra) from a sandpit.
The Gypsy is owned my Mr.Parmar, owner and organiser of the Reid Himalayas!!!
Old 13th April 2009, 13:48   #145
BHPian

Quote:

Not True,
I have fitted a Ramsey Rep 8000 lbs winch in my CJ340 and I have pulled out 540's and bigger vehicles. Now what one has to consider is that the vehicle with the winch ( be it any kind, electrical/hydraulic/PTO)must be anchored properly before winching otherwise, if the vehicle being pulled is badly stuck, the winching vehicle instead of retrieving,will move towards it.
Suresh
Old 13th April 2009, 15:52   #146
Senior - BHPian

Thats exactly what had happened. I even tried my vehicle getting stuck to provide a better anchor, later we would pull it out with another vehicle but being a full time 4WD the thing just wouldnt get bellied in the sand.

I tried all of this:
Basic winching with a 100 ft Wire rope

[ Pulling Car ]winch-------------------------------[ stuck car ]

Winching with a pulley block represented as O – double force in a bad stuck situation

[ Pulling Car ]Winch=================O[Stuck Car]

Winching with 2 pulley blocks for maximum force

-------------------------------------O
[ Pulling car ] Winch ------------------------------------O [ Stuck Car ]

Last edited by desertfox : 13th April 2009 at 15:57.
Old 13th April 2009, 16:55   #147
BHPian

I haven’t gone through this whole thread so forgive me if I’m repeating something thats been said. But just wanted to add that I’m a pretty big fan of hand winches or Tirfors. They are pretty hard work but that enough motivation to not get stuck.
High Gear Tirfor
They sit at the back of the truck when your on a 4WDing trip and in your garage when you don’t need it, unlike a 40kg Warn thats bolted to your bulbar when you drive to work on a Monday. The other advantage is you can hook it to any corner of the vehicle and even use it to get back on four wheels after rolling it.
The disadvantage is its pretty hard work. Yesterday I got stuck on a really rocky hill and would have winched myself up if my life depended on it
Gasolinejunkie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2009, 17:35   #148
Sha
BHPian

Anybody has used Ryders winch below is the link.

Winch Offers
Old 13th April 2009, 22:49   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Thats exactly what had happened.
===============================
[ Pulling car ] Winch ------------------------------------O [ Stuck Car ]
Strange.
Which Winch did you use?
Old 14th April 2009, 02:06   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolinejunkie View Post
I haven’t gone through this whole thread so forgive me if I’m repeating something thats been said. But just wanted to add that I’m a pretty big fan of hand winches or Tirfors. They are pretty hard work but that enough motivation to not get stuck.
High Gear Tirfor
They sit at the back of the truck when your on a 4WDing trip and in your garage when you don’t need it, unlike a 40kg Warn thats bolted to your bulbar when you drive to work on a Monday. The other advantage is you can hook it to any corner of the vehicle and even use it to get back on four wheels after rolling it.
The disadvantage is its pretty hard work. Yesterday I got stuck on a really rocky hill and would have winched myself up if my life depended on it
Yup, they are great. I have one and would recomend and investment in the hand winch before a powered vehicle mounted one. They are far more dependable and versatile.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks