Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 12:51   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Shahnawaz, all this on the new Maxxis tyre? How's the Maxxis tyre for on-road driving, I am really interested in those tyres.
No, am still on the stupid MRF Zigma GP tyres. Haven't got time to get the maxxis fitted. Once I get them fitted, I will give an update about their performance -- both on/off road

Quote:
You have thoroughly removed most of the Jeep advantages over the Gypsy one by one, except in the looks department.
He he he.. Nice one.

The good thing is that all this on a very very light ~950Kgs Gypsy. approximately 200+Kgs lighter than a CJ3b.
Old 4th January 2009, 12:57   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
The good thing is that all this on a very very light ~950Kgs Gypsy. approximately 200+Kgs lighter than a CJ3b.
That's why Jeeps can offer better ride comfort than Gypsy, would be interesting to see how you will overcome that.
Old 4th January 2009, 13:52   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's why Jeeps can offer better ride comfort than Gypsy, would be interesting to see how you will overcome that.
In my quest of preparing a very capable 4x4, ride comfort is NOT even in my list of to do things
Old 4th January 2009, 17:28   #49
rippergeo

Quote:
In my quest of preparing a very capable 4x4, ride comfort is NOT even in my list of to do things
Attaboy! You've got your priorities right! Go Camel Trophy!

Old 4th January 2009, 21:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

shahnawaz,
Congratulations on finding new vigour from your increasingly capable gypsy!!! The lower gearing due to difference in the high gear ratio has made all the difference. Please let us know the fuel efficiency figures after this mod. Iam sure it will dip further but who cares when you get loads of torque!! I think no gypsy in India can touch yours off road keeping driving skills as constant factor.

Now after FFE what next? I have seen gypsy's abroad articulating better with shakle modifications without SOA setup. Is this on your cards?

Way to go.....
Old 5th January 2009, 17:21   #51
BHPian

Khan bhai , this looks mindblowing.. demo please .ASAP
Old 5th January 2009, 17:41   #52
BHPian

so khan , so what be the effect on the road speed of the vehicle in 4H?
Old 5th January 2009, 18:15   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Khan bhai , this looks mindblowing.. demo please .ASAP
Any time. You live close by so just call and drop by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
so khan , so what be the effect on the road speed of the vehicle in 4H?
Not tested as yet, but why would I use 4H on-road?
Old 8th January 2009, 13:36   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick update after putting in 235 tyres. The 'insane' torque seems to have been 'tamed' a bit now -- especially in the 1st/2nd gears.

This is just based on driving ~15Kms on road today. Will have to drive a lot more to know if this is just a perception or a fact.
Old 8th January 2009, 14:14   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Any time. You live close by so just call and drop by.

Not tested as yet, but why would I use 4H on-road?
just wondering what the difference will be ,why not 4H on the road, if its wet ,slippery ,muddy , snow etc etc , just for extra traction , like many of the permanent 4wd vehicles.
Old 8th January 2009, 14:52   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
just wondering what the difference will be ,why not 4H on the road, if its wet ,slippery ,muddy , snow etc etc , just for extra traction , like many of the permanent 4wd vehicles.
With the lockers that Khan already has installed on the rear diff, it will be a long time before he needs to switch to 4H even in these conditions. And now with Mud Terrain tyres even more so! This is one Gypsy that will hold its ground even if all others are fish-tailing about the road like it's an ice-skating rink

Cheers,
Old 16th January 2009, 16:21   #57
BHPian

hi khan sultan , i wanted ur advice on makin a gypsy more viable fr everyday use , by either switching to a diesel engine, as in a isuzu , or by adding a cng contraption to the petrol engine.
have been thinkin of this issue since long but to no solution
thanx
sharat

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
Old 16th January 2009, 18:25   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
.....wanted ur advice on makin a gypsy more viable fr everyday use , by either switching to a diesel engine, as in a isuzu , or by adding a cng contraption to the petrol engine.
have been thinkin of this issue since long but to no solution ....
sir, I have never thought of making gypsy viable for everyday use, so can't help you out here.
If you search around here, there are quite a few Gypsy threads that would have answers to your query. Just use 'Gypsy' in the 'search title' feature of the t-bhp advanced search.

Cheers,
Old 17th January 2009, 19:36   #59
BHPian

thanks khan sultan
actually spoke to tony singh at jaipur, and he was a great help, he has done this work earlier, going accross to meet him on the next weekend ,
actually gettin a army disposal gypsy directly , so was thinking.
regards
sharat
Old 27th January 2009, 19:46   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

An update on the 'crawler gear set' after the Munnar OTR

Off-Road Trails(4WD):
Now I understand what 'crawling' really means. With a stock Gypsy, you can NEVER crawl -- both up and down the slope.

With my crawler gears, while coming down slopes, it was just moving literally inch by inchin 4L-1 and no ABC, again something that can't be done with a stock Gypsy.

While going up the slopes, I had to literally just touch the accelerator with toe and it was crawling up effortlessly. So inclines where earlier I had to use rev & use momentum I just crawled through slowly and without jumping around.

Now, if I want to go back to my Stock Gypsy way of driving over trails, I have to use 4L-3rd gear. There were sections where I did the trail in 4L- 4/5 gears -- probably the first time I have done so.

To give a perspective, here are 2 pictures (courtesy Dwaraka).

In both of these, with stock gypsy, one has to use 'momentum'. With the 'crawler gears' I was literally moving 'inch by inch' over this terrain.

Gypsy on Steroids: The Rockcrawler 4.16:1 T-Case Gearset.-image_537.jpg

Gypsy on Steroids: The Rockcrawler 4.16:1 T-Case Gearset.-image_541.jpg

Highway Driving (2WD):
The top speed has come down now (could touch a max of 110 only now). BUT, the in gear acceleration is WICKED. I can be on highway behind traffic in 3rd/4th gear and literally take off without changing gears.

While coming back, between Dharmapuri/Hosur, I was really enjoying this acceleration bursts and zipping through the traffic. I overtook EVERY vehicle -- including skodas, sumos, qualis, esteems, etc etc.. The reason -- not the top speed but the ease of acceleration and within no time I was touching 80km/h in 3rd/4th gear before hitting another traffic pocket for overtaking.

Best part:
NO drop in FE figures. We had 3 gypsies all through 1000kms and we all go literally same mileage of ~12 kmpl. So needless to say that I am very happy with great on road torque/acceleration, no drop in FE & exceptional off-road capabilities.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th January 2009 at 19:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks