Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2021, 18:32   #106

Adding distance to the Snorkel fitting in my 4x4

Hi everyone,

I have a snorkel system fitted in my 4x4 with a shorter distance between the snorkel and its system inside the bonnet. I am changing my engine to another one whose size is different to my current engine and hence all the fittings need to be changed. The air flow system of the snorkel needs to be moved from the driver side to the passenger side. Hence, I need to know if it will affect the performance of the engine, since the distance between the air flow system and the snorkel will increase?

Currently, I have two options:
  • 1 - I can cut off the snorkel connection and just leave it as a "dummy" and use the normal air flow system, which will be on the passenger side once the new engine is fit.
  • 2 - I can increase the distance between the snorkel and its air flow system.

I prefer the 2nd option because I do not want to use my snorkel as a "showpiece" but just wanted your opinions on it first.
Old 13th January 2021, 22:36   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Snorkel for my 4x4

It's not as easy as should I increase the pipe length or not.

There are a multitude of factors involved.

What is the current engine and what are you swapping it with. Turbo, diesel, petrol, etc.

What is the type of snorkel you have - mushroom or ram air?

What is the Pipe diameter?

How are you planning to run the piping? If you are going to run it over the engine then forget about it. You will land up feeding hot air to the engine.

How many turn will the new plumbing have? And what radius of the bends?
Old 12th May 2023, 14:06   #108
BHPian

Re: Snorkel for my 4x4

I bought a snorkel from https://drnanoinc.com/performance-snorkels and had it installed in Pune at Sahyadri Auto Katraj.
A properly installed snorkel is a lot of work (took 5 hours), and some of it (body cutting) has to be flawless, choose your installer well.

It ships with two intakes, ram-air and a swept back, I tested both and stuck with the swept back model since it looks way better and there was no perceivable performance (engine / noise) difference between the two.
Attached Thumbnails
Snorkel for my 4x4-snorkel1.jpg  

Snorkel for my 4x4-snorkel2.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks