Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 19:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
thanks for the suggestion, but personally i would like to restore either the original set up. or i would love to change the transfer case to a Gypsy one and get the mod done, can any one help with that????
Isnt your problem solved already? I thought you had already converted it to manual shifter one with the help of Beboy

Gypsy transfer case is a divorced one and may not be suitable for MM, further power and torque rating are different and Gypsy transfer case may not be able to take the load.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Isnt your problem solved already? I thought you had already converted it to manual shifter one with the help of Beboy

Gypsy transfer case is a divorced one and may not be suitable for MM, further power and torque rating are different and Gypsy transfer case may not be able to take the load.
Vinod, the prob isnt yet solved, we had connected the shifter by cables to a manual lever in the cabin, which was working fine, till rcently, during a forest drive, when i attempted to switch to 4W L, the lever gave away, resulting in me fumbling with the shifter with my hands to shift manually between 4L and 4H, thats a problem.
please understand that i have refitted the moter and ECm of the original Borgs Warner system and now only the 4H can be selected electronically, 4 L doent get engaged at all. please help
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vinod, the prob isnt yet solved, we had connected the shifter by cables to a manual lever in the cabin, which was working fine, till rcently, during a forest drive, when i attempted to switch to 4W L, the lever gave away, resulting in me fumbling with the shifter with my hands to shift manually between 4L and 4H, thats a problem.
please understand that i have refitted the moter and ECm of the original Borgs Warner system and now only the 4H can be selected electronically, 4 L doent get engaged at all. please help
whitemm550,
I feel you should revert to T18 single lever transfer case from a army gear box. Attach it and drive peacefully. It would not be as noiseless as brog warner but will save you the headace and most important you will have 4wd low when you need the most!

Speak to Beboy to source one and install the same.

PS- Chuck that ECM

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 2nd December 2009 at 12:41.
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
whitemm550,

PS- Chuck that ECM
Would love to. But how? Would like to change only the actuating mechanism, not the full Xfer case. And definitely NOT interested in a juggad.

Couple of years back, I had the same misfortune. Rs. 18K to set it right. Shaft encoders I believe. More importantly, robs one of confidence in one's vehicle.

PS. Mine is an Armada Grand.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:43   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Would love to. But how? Would like to change only the actuating mechanism, not the full Xfer case. And definitely NOT interested in a juggad.

Couple of years back, I had the same misfortune. Rs. 18K to set it right. Shaft encoders I believe. More importantly, robs one of confidence in one's vehicle.

PS. Mine is an Armada Grand.

Regards
Sutripta
can you explain your problem to me in detail? i wanna check the symptoms.
by the way , spoke to Allen ( Extreme power )in the morning and he directed me to Ferdie from Milestones in Mumbai.
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Whitemm550,
If you want to reyain Brog warner electric shift, then be prepared to replace ECM. Will set you aside by about 16 to 20 K
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:15   #37
BHPian

hi

Quote:
Whitemm550,
If you want to reyain Brog warner electric shift, then be prepared to replace ECM. Will set you aside by about 16 to 20 K
vinod, i have a spare ECM, but that dosent work too.
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
vinod, i have a spare ECM, but that dosent work too.
hmmnn...did you speak to Behram sir? Take it to Mahindra authorised service center in mumbai as allan suggested. Let them break their head. Consult Mahindra R&D also. They will help you out

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 2nd December 2009 at 17:41.
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
can you explain your problem to me in detail? i wanna check the symptoms.
Nothing much to say. One day, trying to engage 4wd, the light just kept flashing. The external wiring loom was OK. The motor was OK. There was no mechanical binding. The CU would not power the motor. Physically moving things things around made no difference.

Apparently the current state of the box is monitored by shaft encoders (not limit switches), which is read in by the CU, which then commands the motor. If a spare ECM does not work, most probably therein lies the problem.

Was told individual spares are not available. So 18K.

What one needs is a proper housing with mechanical lever selection. Doesn't the Sumo 4x4 with BW Xfer have mechanical actuation? Experts please comment.

Sutripta
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:46   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Sutripta:

So far only one person on this forum (Beboy) has found a OEM Borg Warner T-Case with Manual shifter. I have seen this in the older Mahindra Parts Catalogue but not sure which model had it and either way I doubt you will get OEM parts. The parts catalogue didn't have the breakdown of different parts so as you said looks like you have to get the whole T-Case. I think you have two options:

1: Juggad: Fabricate a lever mechanism. This is what Suresh has done in his Armada.

2. Replace your Borg Warner Transfer Case with a T-18 with a single lever shifter. These T-18 T-cases can be bought easily from Mayapuri or any place that deals in spare jeep parts. You can also buy an OEM adapter than can be used to connect your BA10 gearbox to a T-18 Transfer Case. This will probably have to be purchased new from Mahindra so not sure how much it will cost. Since Armada is a longer vehicle you may not have to change the rear differentials to the right off-set one used with the T-18 Transfer case. The good thing about T-18 is that plenty of them are made so parts are easily available and secondly it is mechanical so no ECU nonsense !!..

The Sumo 4x4 also came with the Electronic Tcase. As far as I know, Tata uses only the electric borg warner Transfer case.
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@Sutripta:

So far only one person on this forum (Beboy) has found a OEM Borg Warner T-Case with Manual shifter. I have seen this in the older Mahindra Parts Catalogue but not sure which model had it and either way I doubt you will get OEM parts. The parts catalogue didn't have the breakdown of different parts so as you said looks like you have to get the whole T-Case. I think you have two options:

1: Juggad: Fabricate a lever mechanism. This is what Suresh has done in his Armada.

2. Replace your Borg Warner Transfer Case with a T-18 with a single lever shifter. These T-18 T-cases can be bought easily from Mayapuri or any place that deals in spare jeep parts. You can also buy an OEM adapter than can be used to connect your BA10 gearbox to a T-18 Transfer Case. This will probably have to be purchased new from Mahindra so not sure how much it will cost. Since Armada is a longer vehicle you may not have to change the rear differentials to the right off-set one used with the T-18 Transfer case. The good thing about T-18 is that plenty of them are made so parts are easily available and secondly it is mechanical so no ECU nonsense !!..

The Sumo 4x4 also came with the Electronic Tcase. As far as I know, Tata uses only the electric borg warner Transfer case.
Mine is working fine now. Just that I don't have confidence. My normal policy is to keep vehicles standard. This is one of the few cases where I will happily modify. But not a juggad.

Am trying to recollect if I have seen army Sumo 4x4s with a single lever shifter, or is my mind playing tricks.

Thanks for your reply.

Sutripta
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Mine is working fine now. Just that I don't have confidence. My normal policy is to keep vehicles standard...... But not a juggad.

Am trying to recollect if I have seen army Sumo 4x4s with a single lever shifter, or is my mind playing tricks.

Thanks for your reply.

Sutripta
Sutripta,

BA-10 + T18 is not a Jugaad. It came factory fitted with some MM550 XDB. Some new M&M 4wds still have T-18 with NGT 520. T18 is noisy and has lot of transmission losses but nothing comes close in terms of durability

All Sumo 4x4's had electric switch shift
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sutripta,

BA-10 + T18 is not a Jugaad. It came factory fitted with some MM550 XDB. Some new M&M 4wds still have T-18 with NGT 520. T18 is noisy and has lot of transmission losses but nothing comes close in terms of durability

All Sumo 4x4's had electric switch shift
Thanks.

Wonder why neither Tata nor Mahindra (both price warriors) force BW India to supply the Xfer Case with a lever shifter.

Sutripta
Old 4th December 2009, 17:19   #44
BHPian

see, actually what i had done is that i had fitted a cable actuated mechanism ( Juggath) which was operated from under the seat, it connecr=ted directly to the circular shifter under the body, which if turned anticlockwise would actuate the 4WD, it worked fine for close to a year, but when i tried shifting to 4Wd during my last offroad in Goa, the lever, just got sheared off, and i had to go under the vehicle to use my hand to physically turn the moter to actuate the 4wd, now i have refitted / reconnected the Borg warner system, and the 4WL connects off and on, i mean its a 50% hit ratio.
Old 9th December 2009, 19:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Dear whitemm550- can you tell me what model of bolero you own? The 4wd H and 4wd L will blink if there is malfunctioning in shifting. As yours is a electric shift transfer case you will need to take it to an authorized service center. The ECU is either located under the co-drivers seat or under the IP (instrument Panel). A service connector is provided to indicate the fault codes in Binary. For e.g. a code of 001 means fault with ECM module, 010 means shift motor and so on. Please let me know the exact symptoms i will guide you accordingly.

Note- Before replacing any malfunctioning parts please checks for the connectors and wiring harness.

Most Viewed