Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 14:31   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Bumped into the thread now as am looking to install A/C in my MM 540. V-16 did you get to install the A/C unit? If yes can you please share some details of installation and some pics too.
Not yet but its on the cards later in the month. Getting other mechanical stuff sorted out first. Gearbox is being overhauled and then a check on the body mounts, then underbody and inner body anti corrosive spray, padding for the roll cage, customized soft top, lights, electricals, toggle switches and then the a/c. Should be done by the end of the month i hope. As soon as i do, will share the details and the report here for sure.
Old 20th August 2011, 16:57   #92
BHPian

Dear Bigman,
I have fixed the A/c condenser just before the radiator with 12 inch straight leaf high Rpm COOLING FAN. i absolutely have no heating issues in bumper to bumper city traffic itself. It actually works perfect.

Please check the pictures below to have a clear idea of A/c installed in my 550.

regards,
ashwinraj
Attached Thumbnails
AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-20082011004.jpg  

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-img_0244.jpg  

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-img_0245.jpg  

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-img_0254.jpg  

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-img_0247.jpg  

ashvar87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 07:40   #93
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the pics Ashwin. Which brand of condenser have you used? What is the approx expenditure?
Old 21st August 2011, 09:44   #94
BHPian

Madkris,
I actually forgot the make of the condenser, its a multi-flow aluminium condenser. U check for any good Multi-flow condenser which will fit inside your grill, use bigger condenser as possible.

I actually purchased a week old used A/c unit(Super king + sanden 507 with all fitments including condenser) for 15k, cooling fan 2k and 5.5k labour. totally 22k. I paid more for the unit since it was brand new. If u get one from scrap it will hardly cost you 5-6k for the unit alone

regards,
ashwinraj.
ashvar87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 15:58   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Superking. I have never taken my blower speed above 2 (capacity till 4). In fact, I rarely take it over setting 1.

GTO, I have been through a few posts, but cannot yet get more details on installing a superking blower on a Sierra NA. Can you provide some details on a reliable mechanic for fitting (and procuring) a superking blower on a Tata Sierra

Approx costs and where should I buy the blower from.
Old 16th November 2011, 16:09   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Superking or National, they have the best blowers. But i don't think it comes without the cooling coil assembly. Don't buy second hand stuff, buy a new one and wrap the coil inside with plastic so that dirt doesn't settle in till you complete the fitment of AC.

Key is finding the right size compressor, most often people install oversize compressor which are a drag on the engine and results in heating. For a classic put a 505 compressor with a plastic partition behind the front passenger area. Also remember to do good insulation at the firewall and the floor area. 507 might not really be required for such a small area.
Jaggu, any idea on how much a Superking costs and where can I pick one in Mumbai (or Bangalore). I have to fit one on my Sierra NA
Old 16th November 2011, 22:05   #97
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately no idea of current prices. But should be within 5-7 k range.
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:44   #98
BHPian

AC in Thar DI

Finally managed to fix an AC in my Thar DI. Here's some pics of the compressor bracket, if anyone is looking for ideas. I'll post detailed pictures of the install soon.
Attached Thumbnails
AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-one.jpg  

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-two.jpg  

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-three.jpg  

Old 17th November 2012, 13:21   #99
BHPian

I'm posting the pics of the AC install in my Thar DI. I haven't settled the bill yet but it will be between 35-40K. I need to get some insulation done for the canopy but even without it the AC works just fine. Covered around 1000 Kms after the install and no problems till now. Only issue is the reduced knee room for the passenger.

The condenser fan is fixed between the radiator and condenser. So in case it needs to be replaced, only the radiator has to be removed. Looks cleaner too. The temperature gauge reads the same as before so I guess it is working just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-image1588669144.jpg  

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-image771150851.jpg  

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-image4064840416.jpg  

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-image140622424.jpg  

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-image2700872680.jpg  

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-image1244671386.jpg  

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-image3644490262.jpg  

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-image3156444041.jpg  

Last edited by joethomasv : 17th November 2012 at 13:25.
joethomasv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 21:35   #100
BHPian

Dear Joethomasv, would fitting an ac void warranty? And can we fit older bolero dahboard instead of this blower unit in the footwell so as to keep the passenger legroom intact? Your ac fitment would make many people considering thar to go for thar di instead of the crde model. Probably the first thar di 4x4 with an ac, congrats.
Old 29th November 2012, 12:43   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK1 View Post
Dear Joethomasv, would fitting an ac void warranty? And can we fit older bolero dahboard instead of this blower unit in the footwell so as to keep the passenger legroom intact? Your ac fitment would make many people considering thar to go for thar di instead of the crde model. Probably the first thar di 4x4 with an ac, congrats.
Thanks BLACK1.

What warranty?

The bolero dash should fit just fine. That'll definitely fix the leg room issue. Tini has bought one for his Thar DI. I might get one too.

I had no intention of fitting an AC in it as it was meant only for farm use. But after 3k of use, I found myself using it more on-road than off it. It handles really well for a workhorse, and with a few sand bags in the back, ride is ok too. Also, better biceps, triceps and cholesterol levels.
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 11:52   #102
BHPian

It's interesting to note that a lot of the jeep conversations stopped by mid 2012!is it a sign that jeep fever is dying out or jeep modification has become more commonplace and easy to do with lesser doubts?
Anyways, I just got into jeeps this year with an old mm540 4wd, currently dead stock with HT.
Am keen on getting an AC fitted so that I drive this more often.
Looks like sanden+super king or national is the most popular and I am ok with it. Being in Bangalore I don't need a super chiller but I need something very reliable. Also I am keen on doing a bit of off roading and I don't want to affect the overall reliability of the vehicle.

Any tips on where to get a second hand compressor and blower in Bangalore and a good mech for the job?
Old 22nd August 2015, 19:35   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk View Post
=========
Am keen on getting an AC fitted so that I drive this more often.
Looks like sanden+super king or national is the most popular and I am ok with it. Being in Bangalore I don't need a super chiller but I need something very reliable. Also I am keen on doing a bit of off roading and I don't want to affect the overall reliability of the vehicle.

Any tips on where to get a second hand compressor and blower in Bangalore and a good mech for the job?
Contact @Jaggu. He knows a good person to do this. He had got done in Gypsy.

Link here

In that post, there are details of his AC fitment.
Old 24th August 2015, 11:01   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk View Post
more than cooling inside the cabin you need to ensure cooling of engine. If you have XDP engine (as you mentioned its a stock 540), than please ensure your engine cooling mechanism is at its optimum best. Else you will have cooled cabin inside and over heated engine outside.
Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 26th August 2015, 08:17   #105
BHPian

Thanks for the responses. Yup I did speak to Santosh and figured that I'll have to work on the vehicle cooling first

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks