Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 18:03   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Hemant aka Scooby - hello once again after a long time. Please post detailed photographs of the complete system as installed in your Gypsy, then only we can analyse in totality. There are umpteen types of spurious electric fans floating around in the open market with horrible air flow characteristics. Be careful. One more question is that, are you getting actual coolant loss from the system after the so called "overheating"? Yes or no. If yes, what quantity. Please revert.

On our rally cars without cooling fan - you are correct on "no fan" scenario in the car that you have mentioned during the days we used to rally. You will recall Mr.Vasant Patki's MMD6300, a rally prepared group A Padmini with 2 Solex carburettors which I drove alongwith him from Mumbai to New Delhi, then onward on the Himalayan Rally route and back to Mumbai without any fan on the engine. This was way back in 1982. The temperature hovered at around the 90 degree C mark throughout, without coolant loss. Of course radiator was optimized and the car did not have AC.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:51   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Hemant aka Scooby - hello once again after a long time. Please post detailed photographs of the complete system as installed in your Gypsy, then only we can analyse in totality. There are umpteen types of spurious electric fans floating around in the open market with horrible air flow characteristics. Be careful. One more question is that, are you getting actual coolant loss from the system after the so called "overheating"? Yes or no. If yes, what quantity. Please revert.

On our rally cars without cooling fan - you are correct on "no fan" scenario in the car that you have mentioned during the days we used to rally. You will recall Mr.Vasant Patki's MMD6300, a rally prepared group A Padmini with 2 Solex carburettors which I drove alongwith him from Mumbai to New Delhi, then onward on the Himalayan Rally route and back to Mumbai without any fan on the engine. This was way back in 1982. The temperature hovered at around the 90 degree C mark throughout, without coolant loss. Of course radiator was optimized and the car did not have AC.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram,
Finally, I have changed the set up. It is in line with what someone on this forum suggested. i.e. The heat exchanger has gone below the floor pan above the prop shaft with its own electric fan and a perforated sheet metal guard. Like they used to do in the Maruti Vans/omni. The front grill is now clear of any obstacles, so it has only the radiator with an electric fan and a shroud on the inside sucking in air.
My Problems are all solved. No Heating at low speeds because of the electric fan, and obviously no heating now at high rpms/speeds because of no hinderance to the air into the radiator. Hooray!
Learnt a lot though from this problem.
Just need to ensure I do not hit big boulders below my vehicle, and spray wash the condensor every 2 months.
scooby05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:30   #93
Senior - BHPian

Hey Congrats, thats good news !!!

So the conclusion is that it was the obstruction from the condenser and not anything else, is it??
Old 22nd April 2010, 21:37   #94
Team-BHP Support

How can we conclude that? Scooby never got a chance to try it out with OE fan unit setup which in another vehicle is running perfectly fine, even in Delhi summers Actually that vehicle has traveled all around india including leh trip.
Old 22nd April 2010, 23:45   #95
BHPian

Congrats dude

Thats gr8. How is is the cooling. Did you do any measurements of the tempratures inside the cabin.

Also pl post any picks of the perforated metallic guard. And whether it is custom made or can be procured fron somewhere.

Also pl let me know which condenser are you using.

One more thing. The original Gypsy fan has mechanical clutch. It is an awesome thing designed for water fording. As it looses grip when cool water touches it.

So now have the option to go back to stock setup. And install original fan where it was and put the electric fan in front of the radiator (where you had condenser earlier).

You can design it to be always on when the a/c is working for addional cooling of the engine. Or you can have manual on and off switch. So that you can leave it on during city rides where you will always have ac on and switch it off on highways to save extra load on alternator.

Also, if it is manual, you can turn it on in certain circumstances where you will need additional cooling even when the a/c is not turned on.

For e.g.
1. In an traffic jam
2. When traveling up hill at higher altiutdes like Leh where the air is thinner.

In fact i had initially kept it at always on with a/c. But after my Ladakh experience, I have converted the set-up to manual. Not that the original setup has any probs working without a/c. But because of the need of a little extra cooling climbing steeps of Tanglang La. Its good to have that added safety and its give me confidence to do forlorn high passes. I would hate to have any surprise driving up there. And I have actually tested this at similar heights. Did some offroading at Gata Loops too while going up.

Best of both worlds. Engine power and electric-motor power.
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:14   #96
BHPian

Good Job buddy. You should not have any more overheating problems due to the AC now. This is a very common setup for Gypsy.

Cheers
Ankit

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Dear Behram,
Finally, I have changed the set up. It is in line with what someone on this forum suggested. i.e. The heat exchanger has gone below the floor pan above the prop shaft with its own electric fan and a perforated sheet metal guard. Like they used to do in the Maruti Vans/omni. The front grill is now clear of any obstacles, so it has only the radiator with an electric fan and a shroud on the inside sucking in air.
My Problems are all solved. No Heating at low speeds because of the electric fan, and obviously no heating now at high rpms/speeds because of no hinderance to the air into the radiator. Hooray!
Learnt a lot though from this problem.
Just need to ensure I do not hit big boulders below my vehicle, and spray wash the condensor every 2 months.
Old 24th April 2010, 14:03   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How can we conclude that? Scooby never got a chance to try it out with OE fan unit setup which in another vehicle is running perfectly fine, even in Delhi summers Actually that vehicle has traveled all around india including leh trip.
Jaggu, My '99 Gypsy has the original mechanical fan, and the car heats up with AC on in slow traffic, this is because at low rpm the radiator isnt getting enough cooling since the mechanical fan is rotating slow. Even though the condensor has its own electric fan. So I guess that the original setup isnt as good for AC in Gypsy. Offcours ehtis car does not heat up at High RPM as with my '09 Gypsy which was the problem area we were addressing.
Old 24th April 2010, 17:41   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Jaggu, My '99 Gypsy has the original mechanical fan, and the car heats up with AC on in slow traffic, this is because at low rpm the radiator isnt getting enough cooling since the mechanical fan is rotating slow. Even though the condensor has its own electric fan. So I guess that the original setup isnt as good for AC in Gypsy. Offcours ehtis car does not heat up at High RPM as with my '09 Gypsy which was the problem area we were addressing.
Scooby 05,

Mind uploading some pictures? It will be useful for other bhpians

GoSlow,
Please keep your promise & upload pictures
Old 24th April 2010, 23:49   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Jaggu, the original fan blade and shroud was not recieved back from the dealer, and now not traceable. The market or MASS does not have them also. So for a trial to order and get them? I am confused.
Dear Scooby,

The original mechanical fan with mechanical clutch costs Rs. 7,500/-. Plus some extra for the shroud too.

Please do not gift this to the MASS. I think you should get it back. They can not misplace such expensive parts like this.
Old 25th April 2010, 20:51   #100
Team-BHP Support

scooby sir why i was insisting that original set up with additional fan in front will work, was because i know 2 gypsys with same setup running perfectly fine. Anyways since you have sorted the issue out with an alternate approach, there is no point i guess.
Old 26th April 2010, 09:59   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
Scooby 05,

Mind uploading some pictures? It will be useful for other bhpians

GoSlow,
Please keep your promise & upload pictures
I have already uploaded the pics on my post no.63 on this thread.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 2nd May 2010, 01:17   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Dear Scooby05- Was it because of the big fogs, fitted on the door ? Just kidding.

I can understand your dilemma. I faced an entirely opposite one. It was when I bought the PP S1, It wasnt heating up.
Can anyone tell me what is PP S1

Till now PP was always Punjab Police to me.
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:17   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
Can anyone tell me what is PP S1

Till now PP was always Punjab Police to me.
@Wanderhermit, PP is Premier Padmini
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:28   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
I have already uploaded the pics on my post no.63 on this thread.

Cheers
Ankit
Yep Ankit,
My mistake.

Can you upload some more pictures showing how the plumbing is done?
I need to get a similar set up done in my gypsy.
Old 20th May 2010, 21:58   #105
BHPian

I strongly suggest you to go with 4 core heavy duty radiator.( means more of cooling copper fins). Tubes running horizontal not vertical. Make sure it is painted with dual black, because heat is dispersed faster. Please don’t give any gap between a/c condenser & radiator, if possible stick u-foam to seal the gap in the edge of the condenser. Use a condenser fan which has more fins & more rpm, along with a
relay in the electrical circuit. don’t fix any extra lights in front of the grill this will abstract cooling system. fix a duct around engine fan if it has O/E fitting alter it to the new radiator. With this set up your car will have better cooling system.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks