Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 11:39   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
Yep Ankit,
My mistake.

Can you upload some more pictures showing how the plumbing is done?
I need to get a similar set up done in my gypsy.
Sorry Buddy havent had the time since I am very busy with work nowadays - Financial Budgeting season

Will keep it on my to do list. The plumbing can be sorted out by any decent AC guy. They will know what to do.. just run it along the chasis.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 21st May 2010, 15:23   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Scooby, I had the EXACT same problem in my Jeep. When driving in the city, offroading, or any other activity at low speeds (including idling for 2 hours), there was absolutely NO overheating. However, the only time that it did overheat is when cruising at 80 - 90 kph. The minute I used to slow down (say to 60 kph), the temp needle would fall back in place.

Reason: Your radiator is entirely blocked out by the air-con condensor. At high speed, the air flow is entirely messed up too. You will notice this happening, irrespective of whether the aircon is switched on or off.

Solutions:

- Get an XXL size radiator with a more powerful fan.

- Give the radiator direct access to frontal air flow. Move the air-con condensor as per GoSlow's recommendation. I haven't personally seen any Gypsy with such a setup, but where else can it be moved?

This will require a certain amount of trial & error, as most significant modifications do. You are in luck because your Gypsy is in warranty & the air-con is dealer installed. Pass the headache on to them and REFUSE to take delivery until they sort the matter out. It's entirely their responsibility to make it work. Write an email to Maruti (from their website). You will be surprised with the quick response.
I have the same issue of the King over heating @ 80-90 kmph cruising speeds. However in traffic lesser than 60 no issue at all.
Never had this issue for the last 3 yrs problem started after I replace the bottom Half of the Engine. Din't have this issue with the old engine.
Had removed the thermostat valve long back, My king has no A/c, the stock fan always kept the temp below 50% now it touches 70-80% on the highway, and remains around 50% in the city. When i got the engine replaced I also got the water system cleaned and flushed. the only answer coming to mind on this issue is a change in the Engine calibration from Maruti, co"z every thing else has not changed in my 2002MPFI or wait till the running in of at least 5000 km so the engine sets right.
Prithvi
Old 21st May 2010, 15:45   #108
Team-BHP Support

Prithvi wait for atleast 5000 kms and why are you not using the thermostat, its useful for a new block running in.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:14   #109
BHPian

Guys,
There was one minor mistake while putting the engine together, the was some water outside the Sparkplug, which was in between plug and the cords. Thanks this mistake where the mechanic must have forgotten to air out the water after spark cleaning the engine bay, i started face miss firing in the engine. And wondering if the igniter had given way had to change only a spark plug and the power cords. Could this be an issue for overheating in my machine, me not to sure. Will post after a nice long trail.
Prithvi
Old 25th May 2010, 00:34   #110
Team-BHP Support

You had a complete engine overhaul right? how can water be still be anywhere? Did you check the coolant for any contamination with oil. Check head gasket symptom asap and did you re-torque the head after running in??
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:00   #111
BHPian

Engine overheating in MG410

Hi All ,

I have been facing a peculiar problem with my 89 Gypsy MG410. I did get the engine overhauled about 6 months back. After that, I have not driven it a lot,however I have done the 1000 kph mark , and that too below 60kph..
The problem is, the engine is still overheating when I drive it in the city. However, when I drive it consistently on the 4th gear, there is no overheating. Its only when I shift the gears continuously in the city and drive it slow and on low gears.
I checked the engine oil, got the car serviced and oiled properly but the problem still persists.
I am quite perplexed and disappointed coz if this problem is not fixed, I will not be able to do my offroading. I desperately need your suggestions. Please !!!
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:08   #112
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine overheating in MG410

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy1989 View Post
However, when I drive it consistently on the 4th gear, there is no overheating. Its only when I shift the gears continuously in the city and drive it slow and on low gears.
Do this check.

When its parked start it and in neutral rev the engine. If the engine heats up then its got nothing to do with gears. So the link with driving in low gears is purely coincidental. Actually what might be happening is when you drive it fast the air flow from the front goes through the radiator and cools then engine which is not the case when you drive it slow or Keep it running when its parked. It has happened to me before and the symptoms are similar.

What came out as a problem was radiator which was not cooling the engine properly and some cleaning of it fixed it.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:12   #113
BHPian

I will check it today Mayank and will post it. If I am not wrong, the radiator might actually have a problem.
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:26   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Radiator / water pump / fan are the likely problem areas (obviously ). I am presuming a new water pump was installed when the engine was overhauled.

1. Check and flush the radiator (should have been done at time of engine overhaul anyway).
2. Fill with coolant as recommended, use a new radiator cap.
3. Check fan clutch for cut-in at right temperature.
4. Please re-check if the ignition timing (distributor setting) is correct as recommended (running advanced, or more commonly, retarded, will cause overheating).

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 2nd November 2011 at 13:33.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:36   #115
Team-BHP Support

Do the checks mentioned above + do you have the radiator shroud around the fan? How is the radiator, it might be a good idea to invest in a new one if its really old.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:11   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Radiator / water pump / fan are the likely problem areas (obviously ). I am presuming a new water pump was installed when the engine was overhauled.

1. Check and flush the radiator (should have been done at time of engine overhaul anyway).
2. Fill with coolant as recommended, use a new radiator cap.
3. Check fan clutch for cut-in at right temperature.
4. Please re-check if the ignition timing (distributor setting) is correct as recommended (running advanced, or more commonly, retarded, will cause overheating).

MG410 doesnt come with a clutch type radiator fan.
siddartha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:21   #117
Senior - BHPian

with or without A/C ? With A/C, overheating will occur with stock radiator.
Old 5th November 2011, 12:18   #118
BHPian

Re: Gypsy '09 Heating problems!

Thanks for all the responses. My trusted mechanic had closed his garage hence the I couldnt do the checks earlier.
Blue Thunder, its a Non A/C Gypsy. And this brings me to the conclusion that I mustnt invest in an AC for this Gypsy which I was planning to do.
As mentioned by SS Traveller and Mayank, I did all the checks. The ignition timing was found to be the problem area. However,after fixing the timing, which only took around 5 mins , I found out that the engine was 'missing ' big time and I was not able to pull the car on 4th gear. After checking, the mechanic said the point coil wasnt working properly. However, its been fixed now. I am thinking of investing in a new point and radiator.
Which brings me to the next question, shall I be buying the stock Gypsy radiator or can I put perhaps a Premier Padmini radiator. I have heard its quite good and can help keep the engine cool longer. Please suggest !
Old 5th November 2011, 12:35   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy1989 View Post
The ignition timing was found to be the problem area. However,after fixing the timing, which only took around 5 mins , I found out that the engine was 'missing ' big time and I was not able to pull the car on 4th gear. After checking, the mechanic said the point coil wasnt working properly. However, its been fixed now. I am thinking of investing in a new point and radiator.
If the original radiator is fine, run with it after fixing the CB points for some time, and confirm whether the overheating issue has been resolved or not. If it has been, and you don't plan to invest in air-conditioning, why change the radiator?
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
MG410 doesnt come with a clutch type radiator fan.
Sorry, my mistake...

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 5th November 2011 at 12:37.
Old 5th November 2011, 12:53   #120
BHPian

I need to drive it for a prolonged period of time to find out about the overheating. And no, I am not planning to install an AC.
I was only assuming the new radiator would work better. But the present radiator seems to be working fine.

Most Viewed